Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gripweed posted:

The Best Picture Oscar winner is not always the best movie released that year

well...yeah. its almost always whoever the highest bidder was that ends up winning that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The last actually decent best picture winner was Gladiator. Everything since then has been total crap.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Yes but Forrest Gump

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked No Country For Old Men.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked No Country For Old Men.

I did too

Its just a shame they couldn't be bothered writing an ending

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

Yes but Forrest Gump

lmfao

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

this is so wildly out of left field that I'm not sure if this is a "lol forrest gump is terrible" or a "lol i adore every oscar winner since 1994" but either way its a hard disagree from me

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

spit on my clit posted:

you would have to be an absolute moron to kick the star off of your team over something as little as "supports the president" or "he didn't kneel when the other guys did"

Or just a decent human being who hates neo-nazi pandering shitwads.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
People throw around the word nazi too much thesedays. I get that everyone is miserable and angry and racked with mental health issues but referring to people as Nazis doesn't even sound that extreme anymore.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

CrRoMa posted:

People throw around the word nazi too much thesedays. I get that everyone is miserable and angry and racked with mental health issues but referring to people as Nazis doesn't even sound that extreme anymore.

Do you have a better term for white supremacists that are quite literally throwing latinx children into camps in the desert?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Knobheads

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Master Twig posted:

Do you have a better term for white supremacists that are quite literally throwing latinx children into camps in the desert?

They should invent a new one.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The only reason far more chuds aren’t self-identifying as nazis or fascists is that WW2 was canonized as The Good War and so, in the US/UK/Russia/etc, being a nationalist who calls themself those words breaks the accepted national narrative.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The only reason far more chuds aren’t self-identifying as nazis or fascists is that WW2 was canonized as The Good War and so, in the US/UK/Russia/etc, being a nationalist who calls themself those words breaks the accepted national narrative.

more of them are cool with being nazis than you'd think

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

American politicians are really weird. They're obsessed with politeness and cooperation. Like, someone from the opposition is talking and they just sit there and listen. And they're always going on about "bipartisanship" like as though that's a good thing; like "let's just focus on the things that are completely uncontroversial, we wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of our opponents." What are you doing? What do you think your job is?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Tiggum posted:

What are you doing? What do you think your job is?

To perpetuate the system

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiggum posted:

American politicians are really weird. They're obsessed with politeness and cooperation. Like, someone from the opposition is talking and they just sit there and listen. And they're always going on about "bipartisanship" like as though that's a good thing; like "let's just focus on the things that are completely uncontroversial, we wouldn't want to hurt the feelings of our opponents." What are you doing? What do you think your job is?

They need votes to do stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I remember seeing footage of the UK parliament for the first time as a teenager and being blown away by how lively it was compared to Congress. All the booing and clapping and sick burns on the opposing side (or at least attempts at them)

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

sassassin posted:

Yup. There's also issues with things like the filibuster; you need a lot of votes to say "no you can't filibuster that" in the Senate but neither party has enough. America is also so insanely polarized right now that you have people just declaring "everything the other side does is inherently bad so vote no on absolutely all of it no matter what." Whether you like it or not you need at least some cooperation from the other side to do anything. Politics in general also runs on a lot of unspoken agreements and stuff like "well if you vote with us on this thing we'll vote with you on this other thing." Increasingly it's just "do whatever we want or you hate America and babies and kittens and are also probably a Nazi."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sassassin posted:

Uh, yeah, that's why you don't go around saying "well, my opponent is a lovely person with many reasonable opinions and I don't have a bad word to say about him." Fine, I'll vote for him then. What are you even doing here?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

America is also so insanely polarized right now that you have people just declaring "everything the other side does is inherently bad so vote no on absolutely all of it no matter what."
Yeah, that's how politics works. If you agreed with the other party you'd be in it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. There's also issues with things like the filibuster; you need a lot of votes to say "no you can't filibuster that" in the Senate but neither party has enough. America is also so insanely polarized right now that you have people just declaring "everything the other side does is inherently bad so vote no on absolutely all of it no matter what." Whether you like it or not you need at least some cooperation from the other side to do anything. Politics in general also runs on a lot of unspoken agreements and stuff like "well if you vote with us on this thing we'll vote with you on this other thing." Increasingly it's just "do whatever we want or you hate America and babies and kittens and are also probably a Nazi."

The Republicans cleverly figured out that if you control the government, you can just do what you like and it doesn't matter what your opposing party wants. That has baffled Democrats, who think that the West Wing was a documentary and politics is about winning arguments and compromising.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

The Republicans cleverly figured out that if you control the government, you can just do what you like and it doesn't matter what your opposing party wants. That has baffled Democrats, who think that the West Wing was a documentary and politics is about winning arguments and compromising.

What they did was weaponize procedure to be petty jerks about everything.

Personally I'm utterly disgusted with both parties at the moment.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
America is a one-party system that pretends to be a two-party system.
"The other side is completely evil and irredeemably bad and must be opposed at all costs, no matter what."- Republicans

"The other side is misguided, but we believe in our hearts they want the best for the people so we have to be grown-ups so we'll support some of the truly evil, heinous things they propose and then act shocked when they never ever reciprocate our attempts to not burn everything down as quickly."- Democrats

Henchman of Santa posted:

To perpetuate the system
is literally correct.

The one party and the system are both called Capital.

There, American politics makes sense now.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

this is violence against the spanish language

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Crimpolioni posted:

this is violence against the spanish language

It emerged in spanish

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

languages with gendered nouns are violence against common sense

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
How is it actually pronounced in speech?

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
I thought it was “latin@“ and would actually be interested to know if “latinx” is the fashion now, why?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tubgoat posted:

How is it actually pronounced in speech?

Latin X

burial posted:

I thought it was “latin@“ and would actually be interested to know if “latinx” is the fashion now, why?

latin@ was trying to be too clever. And only works when written down

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

Gripweed posted:

Latin X

latin@ was trying to be too clever. And only works when written down

You have answered all of my curiosities in an extremely succinct manner. You will now receive several AWESOME POINTS. Feel free to spend them on finger traps.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Latin@ is pronounced “latinau”, also some spanish speakers use latine because it’s still neutral but sounds more natural in spanish.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Luhteenks

Also kill capitalism

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to be called Latin X unless you're a Latin American cyborg.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

I feel like you shouldn't be allowed to be called Latin X unless you're a Latin American cyborg.

What if I’m a roman robot?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it's actually latin-eh

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 19:53 on Feb 7, 2019

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah, OK.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Paging that goon that has the "Rome did not have robots, idiot" red text.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

i just don't see the appeal of blackface

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider