Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like the grainy look of older anime but that's it. I always disable film grain, motion blur, and depth of field whenever I can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I finally finished up RE2 last night, and I don't have anything insightful to say about it right now, but it is incredible.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The movie Saving Private Ryan had a really amazing film grain effect that was the result of modifying the camera that was used during filming to give it the intentional effect instead of adding it in during post production. I am sad that later releases and remasters intentionally removed this. Steven Spielberg used that effect again in his remake of War of the Worlds and it looked really good there too.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The option to have film grain when they rarely replicate any of the other optical qualities of film (low depth of field, dynamic range, etc) baffled me as some kind of cargo cult thing
it's definitely a little cargo cult especially in games that really highlight the grain, but people have been injecting noise into textures for a subjective improvement in quality for decades at this point. doing it in one pass in screen space is just the easy way to get the same effect

and it that point somebody probably said "oh it's kind of like film grain huh?"

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Feb 7, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I am pro (tasteful) motion blur, it's how you get games to look fluid and cinematic without appearing "cheap" at higher framerates. There are good and bad examples of each though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That reminds me, Dreams looks really impressive and people keep saying that none of the look comes from textures...?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me, Dreams looks really impressive and people keep saying that none of the look comes from textures...?
it doesn't even use polygons (at least up front, until the sdfs get baked into meshes)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I have no idea why chromatic aberration is a graphics setting in some games

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

Isn't that a level 2 mage spell?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Andrast posted:

Yeah this just sucks and has no reason to exist.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Andrast posted:

that one is pure cargo cult, but also comes from a similar place where some people see a subjective improvement in IQ when even bullshit visual "information" is added to the picture. CA is just a really annoying (and extremely cargo cult) way to accomplish it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i started looking at the patch notes for nioh because cowcaster unceasingly talking about it has finally maybe gotten me to be interested in going back to it, and jesus christ that's a lot of patches.

they even added the ability to play music off a usb drive, lol.

I did also decide to randomly boot up the Wii U a couple days ago though so maybe I can finally go through Wooly World, now that I finally polished off the rest of my Mario Maker bookmarks.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Andrast posted:

I thought it was ok in Max Payne 3 and it kind of made sense there since Max is taking millions of pills

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Relax Or DIE posted:

Bless your poor performance, EDF games

Could the performance be the work of terrorists?!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

I'm the unwashed nerd who played all of me1 agape at all the sfx features. That occlusion poo poo or whatever that has that blue haze can gently caress off though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Talking about Nioh is making me want to do a 3rd playthrough. I never did tackle any of the DLC though and I really should since I have it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bushisms.txt posted:

I'm the unwashed nerd who played all of me1 agape at all the sfx features. That occlusion poo poo or whatever that has that blue haze can gently caress off though.

That's lens flare, occlusion is the effect that darkens small corners and crevices.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'll admit that I don't actually know what chromatic abberation even is

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Talking about Nioh is making me want to do a 3rd playthrough. I never did tackle any of the DLC though and I really should since I have it.

oh... right... dlc

well, guess that can continue waiting until that's on sale.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Relax Or DIE posted:

its the color separation that happens at the edge of lenses.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Relax Or DIE posted:

It's a super annoying distortion effect.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

like this

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Phantasium posted:

oh... right... dlc

well, guess that can continue waiting until that's on sale.

The complete edition is currently $25 on Steam. If you own the PS4 version, the season pass is $25.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I said come in! posted:

The complete edition is currently $25 on Steam. If you own the PS4 version, the season pass is $25.

Phantasium posted:

well, guess that can continue waiting until that's on sale on PS4

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I understand! I just felt that the season pass was still worth getting even at full price. :kiddo: The PC version is also a fantastic port.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I paid full price for the base game at launch just to not play it so I think I'm going to scrimp a lot with this one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Andrast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTfa-9aCTYg

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do I want to go through the effort of finishing Metal Gear Solid V the Phantom Pain? I never finished this game and I own it on PS4 and PC.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Do I want to go through the effort of finishing Metal Gear Solid V the Phantom Pain? I never finished this game and I own it on PS4 and PC.
yes

May 8, 2006

Thanks for the info/examples y'all, it's really helpful!

For no reason I'm going to demand more chromatic aberration, games that are easy to look at or decipherable are for babies

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Relax Or DIE posted:

Yeah this stuff is poo poo. What's it even for outside of Max Payne's alcoholism?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I have to do that too.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

bring back DK mode

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I've been wondering lately about Activision/Blizzard. I feel like for a LONG time they had at least one series that was absolutely dominant in its market. WoW, CoD, Overwatch, Destiny. But now they've split from Bungie, interest in Overwatch is dwindling, and it just feels like they don't know how to manage their IPs.

Part of me feels like a year from now Blizzard is going to release some killer app and be back on top again, but then again we're in a really strange lull and that whole company feels like it's lost its way.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Help Im Alive posted:

bring back DK mode

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PantsBandit posted:

I've been wondering lately about Activision/Blizzard. I feel like for a LONG time they had at least one series that was absolutely dominant in its market. WoW, CoD, Overwatch, Destiny. But now they've split from Bungie, interest in Overwatch is dwindling, and it just feels like they don't know how to manage their IPs.

Part of me feels like a year from now Blizzard is going to release some killer app and be back on top again, but then again we're in a really strange lull and that whole company feels like it's lost its way.

For Blizzard, we know they are working on multiple new projects that haven't been announced yet. So it'll be a lot longer than a year. They've abandoned Heroes of the Storm, and Diablo III, both games are apparently in maintenance mode. We know Diablo 3 is no longer being worked on and multiple expansion packs were canceled behind the scenes, their team is working on Diablo 4, and Immortal (mobile lol).

Blizzard could probably just survive off of only updating and working on World of Warcraft if they wanted.

May 8, 2006

They'll re-release Warcraft 3 and be on top of the RTS genre soon, at least

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Maybe WoW Classic will be a slam dunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Man Warcraft III was so good. Gonna try dusting off the old RTS skills for that one.