Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Strom Cuzewon posted:

My favourite thing to do is asking Australians to do a kiwi accent, it's hilarious each and every time.

"fush and chups"

"chully bun"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

inthesto posted:

In spite of how many Australian podcasts I listen to, I still have trouble differentiating Australian and British accents.

Which is amazing because they sound nothing alike.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Everything needs more Manny Jacinto. I do feel that the lines Jason is given are someimes pretty sharp and on topic, and that they do this because he's such a dunce that it's getting crap past the radar. I will forever 💖 his joyful acceptance of boobs in all sizes and distances apart

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

swickles posted:

I think people are selling this season short. Janets and Legend of Donkey Doug are like top 5 episodes. The monster truck taxi might be one of the best visual jokes yet.

Also, Jeremy Bearimy baby.

This season had some really high highs, but a lot of the stuff in between those highs was pretty blah. Jeremy Bearimy, The Ballad of Donkey Doug, and Janets are all amazing episodes, though.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

esperterra posted:

the Ryan Murphy method of television production

I think more Greg Berlanti, as Murphy has more of a quality drop after the first season than Schur or Berlanti.

And that Abby's show looks decent, it's got the Janitor from Scrubs and Lucy from Park's and Rec and they're pretty funny actors so it's got to at least be an ok show.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I can’t believe they didn’t do more with the Book of Dougs this season especially since that’s also Eleanor’s dad’s name

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah and I thought for sure there would be some analysis of Donkey Doug too. You know, get the best Doug and the worst Doug and measure all Dougs against them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah and I thought for sure there would be some analysis of Donkey Doug too. You know, get the best Doug and the worst Doug and measure all Dougs against them.

The First Doug

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Doug is an anagram for God U; a possible hint?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mameluke posted:

If we're going down that route, surely that's "u god"?

and I'm not ready for Shelstrop Sr. to be god.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

U Dog

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tagichatn posted:

Which scenes had bugs?

Was meant to say big. Whoops.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Tagichatn posted:

Which scenes had bugs?

The first season had a lot of ladybug interstitial shots

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

This is your soulmate, a golden retriever.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Mameluke posted:

It's U God from the Wu Tang Clan.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

In the words of the man Janet loves, "I got

"

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

not digging this sonny bono cover, to be honest

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I know this is from back in season 1 but did anyone catch that in the first iteration of the neighborhood, Elanor’s “goodness ranking” was Number Six?

E: and then, in a later episode, was Number One, come to think of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Applewhite posted:

I know this is from back in season 1 but did anyone catch that in the first iteration of the neighborhood, Elanor’s “goodness ranking” was Number Six?

Which was clearly lies, designed to torture Tahani.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Applewhite posted:

Volunteering for trash duty is worth a lot of points.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also it was supposed to be Real Eleanor's score

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

The_Doctor posted:

Which was clearly lies, designed to torture Tahani.

Yeah I was referring more to the super subtle homage to The Prisoner and it being one of the less obvious meta-hints at the Good Place’s sinister secret.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

The_Doctor posted:

Which is amazing because they sound nothing alike.

As someone who lives in Northern England I disagree - the old London accent and Australian accents have a lot in common

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Applewhite posted:

Yeah I was referring more to the super subtle homage to The Prisoner and it being one of the less obvious meta-hints at the Good Place’s sinister secret.

Now that you mention it, this show really does have a lot in common with The Prisoner. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gum posted:

Now that you mention it, this show really does have a lot in common with The Prisoner. I wouldn't be surprised if it was an inspiration

"Good morning and welcome to another beautiful day in The Good Place! Today's ice cream flavors are banana, strawberry, and Putting on Fresh Underwear Right Out Of The Dryer."

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Watch "Russian Doll" if you need your Good Place fix.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Assuming they're not actually still in the bad place and the whole thing is another elaborate setup has the crew ever been more miserable? Elanor lost the love of her life but has to interact with him every day and possibly watch him fall in love with someone else. Tahani has someone around who constantly reminds her how awful she used to be and how toxic her old life was. Jason's been pushed to the side and is back as Jianyu [sp?] while his not-a-girl-girlfriend has to work with her superpowered ex with his classy martinis. Michael is paralyzed with fear. Chidi seems to default to self-torture.

They haven't directly referenced No Exit yet, have they?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I mean, all of that can directly be blamed on Shawn being shawn

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene

Klungar posted:

100% agreed. It has a lot of similarities to The Good Place while also going a bit darker and edgier.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Klungar posted:

*pulls open one side of my trenchcoat* hey buddy, wanna read some theology

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

*pulls open one side of my trenchcoat* hey buddy, wanna read some theology

I’ll show you where you can nail your 9.5” Theses :wink:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gum posted:

The design of the Neighborhood always reminded me a LOT of The Village.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Klungar posted:

I’ll show you where you can nail your 9.5” Theses :wink:

:sax: theses on my peeny and some vedas on my balls :drum:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Klungar posted:

I liked Russian Doll but I don't really see what the two have in common other than a superficial storyline about resets.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oasx posted:

I liked Russian Doll but I don't really see what the two have in common other than a superficial storyline about resets.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Themes on morality, the afterlife, and the two main characters share a lot of personality traits with Eleanor and Chidi.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Oasx posted:

The characters are trapped in a purgatorial space where they learn what it means to be a good person is the rejection of selfish acts and motives and forming bonds with other people, i.e. what we owe to each other. Nadia being Eleanor and Alan being Chidi seem very straightforward parallels.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

They are parallel like 66°33'39” N and 66°33'39" S. Perfectly parallel and yet so far apart.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bummed to have no more episodes of this for the moment, but overjoyed that the quality is still up there.
I would never have expected this show to be so consistent for so long. It is a real testament to the makers and actors.

Janets has to be my favourite episode of all three seasons, purely because Stephen Merchant is the perfect casting for that role. I have such a huge crush on him and love seeing him in things (he is one reason why Portal2 is my most favourite video game) :D

Bring on season 4!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

"Good morning and welcome to another beautiful day in The Good Place! Today's ice cream flavors are banana, strawberry, and Putting on Fresh Underwear Right Out Of The Dryer."

Can't wait for the episode of TGP that is just an old Veronica Mars script with a loose framing device.