Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

How's FIFA 19? Better than 18?

Yes, but the Switch version is a shell of the actual game on Xbox/PS4/PC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Heath posted:

Does anybody know if Rain World has been fixed?

What was the problem? I just bought it...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
New Vegas was the best Fallout game by far and it's still a terrible game.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

American McGay posted:

New Vegas was the best Fallout game by far

Right

quote:

and it's still a terrible game.

Nooope

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What was the problem? I just bought it...

People were reporting intolerable input lag around release.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

3D Realms still sells Commander Keen, too, so the rights situation might be more complicated. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time 3D Realms sold stuff they aren't allowed to.

I'd totally buy an Apogee collection on Switch, even if it ends up just being a completely barebones collection running on top of DOSBox.

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, those 2D Duke Nukems, Bio Menace...oh baby

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Volte posted:

Mine showed a full signal but it still would have taken like 200 hours to download Diablo 3 if I hadn't gone out and bought an Ethernet adapter (which still only gave me about 10% of my max internet speed). I often have trouble breaking 1 KB/s on the Switch's Wi-Fi. No other device here has any issue.

The only hope you have of really changing any of this is trying a different access point/router. The issue is probably in the switch but you can't change that so that leaves...

Yeah it's not a good solution, but not much else to do. Certain devices just don't want to play nice but then others work fine. Usually some power or deep network setting in the equipment is the problem but narrowing that down is quite the exercise and could break something else while you're at it.

LethalGeek fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 7, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm actually kind of surprised that the original Doom and Doom 2 aren't on the eShop. Less so for Quake, but that would be loving incredible, especially if it had online multiplayer. :allears:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that the original Doom and Doom 2 aren't on the eShop. Less so for Quake, but that would be loving incredible, especially if it had online multiplayer. :allears:

Release Quake Live for Switch with Gyro aiming.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Switch confirmed for Baldur's Gate et al

https://twitter.com/skyboundgames/status/1093578341704056832

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What about a port of New Vegas INSIDE of a port of Skyrim??

all the remaining good Wii U games will be available to play on the Switch, inside Animal Crossing after you bough the Wii U item and set it up in your Animal Crossing house.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's kind of amazing that Doom 1/2 has never been released on a console with access to a curated list of downloadable maps. Doom 2 is still great but not because of the campaign that comes with it.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Looper posted:

as someone who started with fifth edition, the fact that lower AC used to be the good thing is wild to me

https://goo.gl/images/QWeSB8

This is all you need to know about AC

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hopefully not $40/ea

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

GreenNight posted:

Hopefully not $40/ea

New releases are $60

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Oscar Wild posted:

New releases are $60
Captain Toad was $40.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Katamari Damacy was $10 more than its launch price from 15 years ago.

They're going to be $80 each.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

American McGay posted:

Captain Toad was $40.

it had a simultaneous release on the 3DS

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Doom3 BFG Edition, which includes the classic Dooms and already exists as a Tegra port on the Nvidia ShieldTV, will probably come to Switch at some point. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

TheScott2K posted:

Doom3 BFG Edition, which includes the classic Dooms and already exists as a Tegra port on the Nvidia ShieldTV, will probably come to Switch at some point. I'd be surprised if it didn't.

Maybe I'll finally play Doom 3, then.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Maybe I'll finally play Doom 3, then.

It's pretty bad, jump scares and constant switching between your flashlight so you can see and your gun. DOS DOOM I & II are far better games, and more scary than cheap jump scares.

The Doom reboot called "DOOM" is fantastic though.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pixaal posted:

It's pretty bad, jump scares and constant switching between your flashlight so you can see and your gun. DOS DOOM I & II are far better games, and more scary than cheap jump scares.

It was pretty sweet at the time IMHO. I only played a little of the expansion, because I had no desire to really do more of the same with a knockoff gravity gun.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

pixaal posted:

BFG Edition removes the switching between guns and flashlight

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

pixaal posted:

Oh, I'm well aware of its faults, just from sheer cultural osmosis over the past *checks calendar* 15 years, so I don't think I'll actually be disappointed.

Tech: Excellent for its time
Content/Gameplay: Not so much.

I figure I should play it all the way through at least once. I mean, I have actually played it a few times, but every time, I'd barely get out of the first part, where everything goes nuts, before stopping to do literally anything else.

With the Switch, I give game experiences a LOT more time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

pixaal posted:

Actually, Doom 3 is a pretty good horror riff on Half-Life/System Shock, and the BFG Edition makes it so you can have your flashlight on and a weapon out at the same time, fixing a design decision that turned out to be pretty bad.

It just doesn't fit in at all with it's predecessors or successors. They should have called it "Hell Base" or "Johnny and the Satanasaurus" or something.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

It was pretty sweet at the time IMHO. I only played a little of the expansion, because I had no desire to really do more of the same with a knockoff gravity gun.

I had good graphics, but it had nothing else going for it. I built a new computer just to play it so you better believe I completed it, it took me a long time working a part time job in highschool to save up the $800 for that computer. I did not enjoy Doom 3, but I did enjoy other games on that computer.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

https://goo.gl/images/QWeSB8

This is all you need to know about AC

The origins of AC and THAC0 are fascinating. AC 1 used to be good because that meant your armor was first class, ie the best. And THAC0 was a derived score meant to simplify the calculations of hitting. Instead of this big table, you could derive any necessary roll with THAC0 - AC since the graph of the table happened to be linear.

Here's a whole article on the subject I'm 90% sure was written by someone in TG: https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/thac0-origins-and-context/

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

pixaal posted:

I had good graphics, but it had nothing else going for it. I built a new computer just to play it so you better believe I completed it, it took me a long time working a part time job in highschool to save up the $800 for that computer. I did not enjoy Doom 3, but I did enjoy other games on that computer.

Half-Life 2 kinda curbedstomped it, but I honestly think Doom 3 has aged better.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Baldurs gate with good controller control would be good but we're not going to get that.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

rtwp is rough enough with mouse and keyboard, i can't imagine playing one with a controller not being miserable

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TheScott2K posted:

Half-Life 2 kinda curbedstomped it, but I honestly think Doom 3 has aged better.

Half Life 2 sucked to replay because the whole “there’s no cutscenes, you’re always in control!” thing ended up meaning “enjoy being stuck in a room for ten minutes while characters talk to each other every time you try to play the story again!”

It had some really good setpieces and level design but that feature killed ever going back to it for me.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SettingSun posted:

The origins of AC and THAC0 are fascinating. AC 1 used to be good because that meant your armor was first class, ie the best. And THAC0 was a derived score meant to simplify the calculations of hitting. Instead of this big table, you could derive any necessary roll with THAC0 - AC since the graph of the table happened to be linear.

Here's a whole article on the subject I'm 90% sure was written by someone in TG: https://songoftheblade.wordpress.com/2016/10/31/thac0-origins-and-context/

This is cool, thanks

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Half Life 2 sucked to replay because the whole “there’s no cutscenes, you’re always in control!” thing ended up meaning “enjoy being stuck in a room for ten minutes while characters talk to each other every time you try to play the story again!”

It had some really good setpieces and level design but that feature killed ever going back to it for me.

I imagine if they tried to do that today they'd give you more to do during those scenes or easy options to skip them.

I guess God of War was quite similar in that regard but it did a good job of not pausing the action too often.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'd love an official patch that made the characters aware they're in a game.

Barney: Hey Gordon! It's me, B-...
*runs past him*
Barney: Speedrunning, huh? Gotcha. Good luck on your WR attempt!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TheScott2K posted:

Yeah, I think that really was the problem with Doom 3.

Prior to HL2, no one had ever seen a FPS that took place in a passably realistic looking version of the real world.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I think that really was the problem with Doom 3.

Prior to HL2, no one had ever seen a FPS that took place in a passably realistic looking version of the real world.

I was going to say 'What about Duke Nukem 3D?' but even in the first level, that street just.... doesn't go anywhere, and no one cares.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

I was going to say 'What about Duke Nukem 3D?' but even in the first level, that street just.... doesn't go anywhere, and no one cares.

HL2 also had a crazy level of detail for the time, with trash, fallen leaves, a layer of grime on everything. As much as I can’t go back and play it now, back in 2004 City 17 was the first time a video game area felt like a real place for me.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

HL2 also had a crazy level of detail for the time, with trash, fallen leaves, a layer of grime on everything. As much as I can’t go back and play it now, back in 2004 City 17 was the first time a video game area felt like a real place for me.

For me, that was The City from Thief 2.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Totally. IT really helped that realistic physics were relatively new, so among other things you could manipulate the trash.

Also, ragdoll physics were around previously, but if I recall correctly they had joints that worked like real joints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Filling every space with Havok physics objects had a lot of novelty at the time, and while Doom had something they made in-house that worked on a smaller scale, seeing the implementation in HL2 was a game changer.