Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It's the blandest shot in a movie full of really colourful scenes. What a dumb choice to pick - aside from it having all the action figures in one place looking straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Well, poo poo. I guess I'm just a big dummy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

It's the blandest shot in a movie full of really colourful scenes. What a dumb choice to pick - aside from it having all the action figures in one place looking straight.

Like 60% of the shots in the movie are exactly that - directly head on, center framed mid shots. It's a baffling choice.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Obviously the best way to show a crowd of people watching their home get destroyed is to have them stand calmly in order at an extremely level angle

Only a complete amateur would show them, say, crammed against the window trying to see what's happening

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihd_uzrX2Bw

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

lol why are they in a Chevy logo

brawleh
Feb 25, 2011

I figured out why the hippo did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxXKd-396TQ

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guy A. Person posted:

Because the ship is called Statesman, and like all the ships in the movie is named after a famous Australian car model, in this instance the Holden Statesman, which was sold for a while in the US as the Chevrolet Caprice

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

What a guy that Gareth Edwards is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Guy A. Person posted:

Junkass ship the bifrost is broken can't teleport anywhere mjolnir collapses into dust when someone touches it gotta almost die just to get a forge started

Checks out.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if they are going to go with New Asgard floating in the New Mexico desert in future MCU offerings. I remember that being a kind of interesting storyline, but I only have vague recollections of it. A nice good ol boy in over his head with a asgardian girlfriend if I remember.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyges posted:

I wonder if they are going to go with New Asgard floating in the New Mexico desert in future MCU offerings. I remember that being a kind of interesting storyline, but I only have vague recollections of it. A nice good ol boy in over his head with a asgardian girlfriend if I remember.

Wasn't it uhh Oklahoma?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe. I really just barely remember anything about it. As I remember it, Asgard showed up above the state, Thor announced "gently caress You, this is how poo poo is", a local yokle managed to get a pretty Asgardian girlfriend, and Thor beat the poo poo out of Tony for Civil War shenanigans before warning him to gently caress all the way off.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Gyges posted:

I thought the whole bit with Odin in Ragnarok was suggesting Norway be the new Asgard? Isn’t that way the scene of Hela destroying Mjolnir was changed from an alley to a field in between the trailer and the final release? Because Marvel mandates that plotpoint or something?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He was suggesting anywhere could be Asgard. He just happened to be in Norway when he said it. Waititi shot it initially in a alley, but thought somewhere open was better/

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

This just isn't fair.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Don Draper would connect the dots better than I could on "anywhere can be Asgard" and the Chevy logo...
"Anything can be a Chevy" perhaps?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I really truly do not understand this Twitter account. Just posting screen shots of movies is so pointless. By themselves, without context, these shots look bad or at least unimpressive. Hell even in context, with an understanding of what the show is trying to convey to the audience in order to tell the story, these shots often look bad.

This also brings me to how disappointed I am that we see none of these characters again in Infinity War. We are made to just assume they are all dead, killed directly by Thanos off screen. :/

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that twitter exists to remind people of popular movies and get money from the amazon affiliate link in each post

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Majkol posted:

This just isn't fair.

It is, though! Godzilla (2014) is an example of the dominant mode of films today, the main difference between it and other movies of its ilk is that it's good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Brother Entropy posted:

that twitter exists to remind people of popular movies and get money from the amazon affiliate link in each post

Sorry, I'm afraid that what perfection looks like

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You may not like it, but this is what peak (box office) performance looks like.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Vintersorg posted:

They won't say poo poo - at best:

What I find funny is that the headline should be something like "HOLY poo poo ALIENS ARE REAL AND THEY INVADED EARTH" but it's actually really mundane. Even the picture barely shows anything.

One thing I really like in BvS is the beginning where we see how terrifying and strange the battle at the end of MoS would appear to a bystander and that it would be a world changing event. Marvel movies never really went that way until the post credit scene in Infinity war.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I truly hate that Marvel is downplaying these horrific events that they wrote into the films. Now it's canon even that Loki wasn't a monstrously evil person bent on enslaving mankind, it was the loving staff with the infinity stone in it that was mind controlling him this whole time. They literally wrote every bad guy to be innocent this entire time and it comes off as incredibly awkward and weird. I'm waiting to read about how it's canon now that Thanos is just misunderstood and a kind gentle person this entire time. He just wanted to make sure kittens were safe or something.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Captain Jesus posted:

What I find funny is that the headline should be something like "HOLY poo poo ALIENS ARE REAL AND THEY INVADED EARTH" but it's actually really mundane. Even the picture barely shows anything.

Compare Loki first declaring his intention to rule the Earth to a hundred or so random bystanders that happen to be around when he steals the staff to Zod announcing "you are not alone" simultaneously to the entire world through a display of overwhelming technological superiority.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I said come in! posted:

I'm waiting to read about how it's canon now that Thanos is just misunderstood and a kind gentle person this entire time. He just wanted to make sure kittens were safe or something.

Infinity War, second post credits. Thanos just wanted to be a farmer.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Even Red Skull has been rebranded a somewhat of a tragic figure with his stewardship over the soul stone.

Red Skull.

The super nazi.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So how are they going to explain never calling Captain Marvel in previous movies? Is Captain Marvel going to end with, "If you ever find yourself and other people turning into dust, AND ONLY THEN, you can call me on this pager thingie. But any other alien invasion? I'm not getting out of bed for that poo poo."?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fart City posted:

Even Red Skull has been rebranded a somewhat of a tragic figure with his stewardship over the soul stone.

Red Skull.

The super nazi.
Is that tragic? He got a monkeys paw wish and it made him woke to the awesome power of the cosmos.

And then rendered a gatekeeper.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I really love the nano second right before the blast wave overtakes Saw where Whitaker bares his teeth, great little moment.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Captain Jesus posted:

One thing I really like in BvS is the beginning where we see how terrifying and strange the battle at the end of MoS would appear to a bystander and that it would be a world changing event. Marvel movies never really went that way until the post credit scene in Infinity war.

They cast it specifically in BVS as angels plummeting to earth, which seems dramatic except it's opposed to a Norse god working for the US military like it's no big deal.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

FilthyImp posted:

Is that tragic? He got a monkeys paw wish and it made him woke to the awesome power of the cosmos.

And then rendered a gatekeeper.

He has a line about “being forced to watch over the thing I desire the most, but never able to obtain” (paraphrasing). There’s definitely a kind of existential torture being enforced on him.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Sir Kodiak posted:

Compare Loki first declaring his intention to rule the Earth to a hundred or so random bystanders that happen to be around when he steals the staff to Zod announcing "you are not alone" simultaneously to the entire world through a display of overwhelming technological superiority.

What do you mean? Don't you find Loki threatening the way he got sassed by an old man and then chumped by captain america cosplayer?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oesqLjz9b8

Just for fairness sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_N4lCmgKTA

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As an aside, someone should def make a movie fight thread, that'd totally be my jam.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Are there any other movies where the villain does that thing where they plan to get captured and then escape, but then actually accomplishes nothing by having done so? You have it working successfully in other Marvel movies, in two of the Nolan Batman movies, in Skyfall, and a bunch of other stuff, but I can't think of any where the villain tries it and it's a total misfire. Sort of an interesting decision.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Fart City posted:

There’s definitely a kind of existential torture being enforced on him.
Yeah but that's not like tragic. It's just some poetic justice or whatever.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I find it fascinating that people are hypervigilant about all the people Superman callously does not save in a fight to the death, but are now having casual conversations about how genocide may heal the Earth.

Sounds like the movie accomplished its goal, sadly

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is, though! Godzilla (2014) is an example of the dominant mode of films today, the main difference between it and other movies of its ilk is that it's good.

I know, I'm kidding. Mainly I'm happy that we actually have contemporary big budget movies we can point to and say "look how loving pretty that is, wouldn't it be great if more movies were as beautiful and well shot as that?".

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

McCloud posted:

What do you mean? Don't you find Loki threatening the way he got sassed by an old man and then chumped by captain america cosplayer?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oesqLjz9b8

Just for fairness sake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_N4lCmgKTA

No joke or quip in any of the Marvel films will ever be as funny as the toner gag in Man of Steel.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Are there any other movies where the villain does that thing where they plan to get captured and then escape, but then actually accomplishes nothing by having done so? You have it working successfully in other Marvel movies, in two of the Nolan Batman movies, in Skyfall, and a bunch of other stuff, but I can't think of any where the villain tries it and it's a total misfire. Sort of an interesting decision.

It's a great sequence in Batman (1966).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

pospysyl posted:

It's a great sequence in Batman (1966).

Is this watchable if I haven't seen the TV show? I've heard good things about it and am curious about the Adam West Batman thing, but not sure I want to dig into a whole series.