Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

chaosapiant posted:

I haven’t really been keeping up with F76 so I’m curious...lorewise....does it butcher the existing canon or is it harmless self insert story wise?

vault tec built the vault and selected only the brightest citizens for the singular goal of controlling and rebuilding the wasteland, which they hope to accomplish by handing you a deck of cards, a handful of wood chips, and a party hat before pushing you out the door directly into chinese death robots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

The White Dragon posted:

now you have me thinking of a stylistically cel shaded fallout game that has a 50s Better Living ad aesthetic

Congrats, you have put more creativity into Fallout than Bethesda has since they bought the IP!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

chaosapiant posted:

I haven’t really been keeping up with F76 so I’m curious...lorewise....does it butcher the existing canon or is it harmless self insert story wise?

Supposedly they hosed up and included the brotherhood of steel 50 years before they came out of their bunker for the first time.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

It butchers the lore of not only the original games but their own fallout games as well, I usually don't care about lore stuff but it's things that are painfully obvious, the only argument for it existing as it does is laziness since they could reuse more assets.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Donovan Trip posted:

It butchers the lore of not only the original games but their own fallout games as well, I usually don't care about lore stuff but it's things that are painfully obvious, the only argument for it existing as it does is laziness since they could reuse more assets.

Even for Bethesda, that’s extremely lame.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Deadguy2322 posted:

Even for Bethesda, that’s extremely lame.

And yet, as Bethesda as you can get.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Xarbala posted:

And yet, as Bethesda as you can get.

Very true.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Donovan Trip posted:

That poo poo is so frustrating. No game should be a slave to lore; if you have a great idea and need to rearrange past events to fit a new narrative, that’s ok. But to just be lazy and not give a poo poo about your own game’s world building is frustratingly lazy and dumb. Maybe I’m weird, but they’ve retroactively made it difficult to enjoy the past Fallout games as well because in the back of my mind, the story I’m being told is being increasingly made false.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

chaosapiant posted:

How do you feel about the Brotherhood of Steel, the Enclave, and Supermutants all having been around Appalachia at the same? Oh, and caps as currency, again? And Deathclaws running around as well?

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

chaosapiant posted:

That poo poo is so frustrating. No game should be a slave to lore; if you have a great idea and need to rearrange past events to fit a new narrative, that’s ok. But to just be lazy and not give a poo poo about your own game’s world building is frustratingly lazy and dumb. Maybe I’m weird, but they’ve retroactively made it difficult to enjoy the past Fallout games as well because in the back of my mind, the story I’m being told is being increasingly made false.

I think it goes beyond laziness. It feels like they are actively hostile towards the lore of past games even their own.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think it goes beyond laziness. It feels like they are actively hostile towards the lore of past games even their own.

They never really showed Fallout any respect, and this is just what a decade of that disrespect has lead up to.

It’s a pretty weird feeling how, suddenly, everyone else in the world finally sees what a bunch of greedy hacks Bethesda have always been, all at the same time.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

I think a while back someone posted an interview with the lead writer and he seems like a huge narcissist that would ratfuck an entire franchise just to put his mark on it, yeah.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Deadguy2322 posted:

They never really showed Fallout any respect, and this is just what a decade of that disrespect has lead up to.

It’s a pretty weird feeling how, suddenly, everyone else in the world finally sees what a bunch of greedy hacks Bethesda have always been, all at the same time.

Fallout 76 broke a lot of the illusions that were holding the company up as the AAA markets golden boy.

"Well they're one of the last holdouts for single player, narrative driven experiences"//And then they make an online multiplayer only game with 0 story.

"Well at least they make interesting characters" and then they make a game without any NPCs.

"The bugs are charming! Modders will fix them anyway" The bugs have reached their absolute gamebreaking peak and people are getting banned for mods. It's not funny anymore. Also they bugged up their own website to Doxx their users.

"Well at least they're not as scummy as other devs" Literally Every Business Decision for this game.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Flytrap posted:

Fallout 76 broke a lot of the illusions that were holding the company up as the AAA markets golden boy.

"Well they're one of the last holdouts for single player, narrative driven experiences"//And then they make an online multiplayer only game with 0 story.

"Well at least they make interesting characters" and then they make a game without any NPCs.

"The bugs are charming! Modders will fix them anyway" The bugs have reached their absolute gamebreaking peak and people are getting banned for mods. It's not funny anymore. Also they bugged up their own website to Doxx their users.

"Well at least they're not as scummy as other devs" Literally Every Business Decision for this game.

I’m still shocked that the gaming media went from awarding Skyrim every Game of the Year award even though it was totally broken on a major platform to the point where it shouldn’t have passed certification, to actually saying that Bethesda makes broken poo poo with zero effort.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I don't want y'all to get too excited because there's a bit of conjecture required but here's a story about how a company tried to C&D a YouTuber for making a poor review of a game that came out around the time FO76 did and got his address by promising to send him swag, notably bobblehead toys, a custom PS4, and Funko pops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9z5mms/i_do_reviews_i_reveiced_a_cease_and_desist_after/

quote:

Recently I posted a review about a newly released game, it was very critical on a lot of points in the game but no where was I saying anything that was a lie. For some crazy reason this video received a massive influx of views compared to my normal 8-13k views and received over 1.6M views.

The publisher reached out to me and wanted some of my personal opinion on how to "improve" the game and what they could do to make it more enjoyable. I was ecstatic, and extremely happy that the company wanted my opinion of all people on what to improve or change. I was assuming they reached out to a lot of people to get a pool of ideas and maybe hopefully implement them and improve the game.

Towards the end of our emails they asked for my name and address to mail out some "swag" for my time and effort in the emails. I sent probably several pages of ideas, and issues etc so thought cool, a poster or something would be nice.

Today I received a certified letter that contains a cease and desist about the game claiming if I continue to spread false information and affect sales I will be sued it also demanded I remove the review immediately.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/anjzhv/update_cease_and_desist_letter_after_posting_a/

quote:

I finally found an attorney ...

He also outlined what will happen should they continue stating that during discovery he will be requesting all communication between QA, play testing, developers, and management to see if they were aware of any of these bugs/issues that may compromise a customer's experience while playing etc.

It also included a paragraph basically calling them out for reaching out to me and lying about "swag and wanting feedback" to get my information to send a cease and desist instead of going through the proper legal channels to obtain this and the fact that I still have yet to receive any "swag" that this is clearly the case.

Also included that they need to preserve all the emails they sent to other reviewers because it's of interest in the possible upcoming legal action. He also requested they preserve all sorts or other communication between QA, developers etc.

So after he had confirmed receipt of the letter we waited and waited. Nothing for about a month but then I received 3 large boxes containing games, posters, statues, a custom PS4 limited edition console, bobble heads, Funko pops, just every piece of swag I think they have for 3-4 of their games and a letter saying "Sorry it took so long for us to get this swag out to you!"

My attorney then sent out another letter asking about the status and their position on the cease and desist and we received a letter back with only a few sentences basically saying they made a mistake and we can expect no further correspondence on the matter and that the video can be reinstated if we so wish.

He sent out another asking about the lost ad revenue due to me having to private the video since they admitted it was a mistake. They sent out a check for $500 and some papers I needed to sign basically saying the issue is over and I won't sue them.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

vault tec built the vault and selected only the brightest citizens for the singular goal of controlling and rebuilding the wasteland, which they hope to accomplish by handing you a deck of cards, a handful of wood chips, and a party hat before pushing you out the door directly into chinese death robots

I mean, that SOUNDS like Vault Tec, yeah

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

All of this except they weren't actually banning people who were using mods. But to be fair, Bethesda's handling of this game has been so bad people are willing to believe anything negative about Bethesda that gets posted to Reddit.

Fallom posted:

I don't want y'all to get too excited because there's a bit of conjecture required but here's a story about how a company tried to C&D a YouTuber for making a poor review of a game that came out around the time FO76 did and got his address by promising to send him swag, notably bobblehead toys, a custom PS4, and Funko pops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/9z5mms/i_do_reviews_i_reveiced_a_cease_and_desist_after/

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/anjzhv/update_cease_and_desist_letter_after_posting_a/

You left out the Atom shop price hike.

Vitreous Rumor
Oct 21, 2004

When was that?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

it keeps hackin and whackin and smackin

pippin that meat

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

chaosapiant posted:

its fine

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

They canonically blew up Morrowind because people liked that setting better than the one in Oblivion :lol:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

thats just dunmer getting what they deserve

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Deadguy2322 posted:

The upcoming Elder Scrolls is still going to sell gangbusters.

Their reputation has taken a hit, though, I feel like their products will be scrutinized more closely and with less goodwill by gamers and the gaming press alike.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

chaosapiant posted:

Name anything in the fallout universe: turned out it didn't actually have any unique backstory or origin, it was just always around since day one everywhere.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I was watching the metal gear survive previously recorded and Rich Evans goes into a bit about how there's so few triple AAA developers who care to release a quality non asset flip quick cash grab product and Bethesda was one of them and lmao

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
The number #1 asset Bethesda reused has been their janky rear end engine.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Like even Fallout 76 aside there were 7 years of yearly+ Skyrim repackages

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

As long as they don't Fallout 76 up Starfield or ES6, I will probably buy them and play them for many hours, bugs be damned.

For the love of god, just don't make them always online or multiplayer. The Morrowind formula still works.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
FO76 is a prototype for things to come. Why do you think they so stubbornly hold on and force changes through?

They are loving this IP up so the others don't need to get bogged down in weird experiments and workarounds for the main games. Skyrim 2 and Starfield: Skyrim are still going to be buggy, janky messes as all Bethesda titles are regardless but they'll have gotten the microtransations down at least.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Yeah, Fallout 4 pretty definitively established Fallout as the experimental area Bethesda uses to test ideas. A voiced protagonist for Elder Scrolls 6? Insane idea! Well let's try it in a Fallout game first, see how it does

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Fallom posted:

:lol: this is fantastic.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
What's funny is that given the time period and location 76 happens in.... as well as the fact that Vault 76 appears to have been one of those rare control vaults designed to actually do what it loving said it would do, which is reconquer the world after the radiation cleared... it would have been extremely fertile ground for an Enclave faction. As the good guys OR bad guys, really.

twit666
Nov 16, 2006

Soiled Meat
Lmaooooooowned you paid money for this game
[/quote]

I preordered.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Bethesda's fallout canon is on par with fallout tactics and its Vault 0, a weapon stores.

Control vaults? gently caress You!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Today's inside the vault: scorch beast attacks to be less annoying; tell us what enemies you like/ hate; well rested will last 50% longer for a limited time; also buy stuff from the atom shop.

No mention of the latest fuckup.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Backhand posted:

What's funny is that given the time period and location 76 happens in.... as well as the fact that Vault 76 appears to have been one of those rare control vaults designed to actually do what it loving said it would do, which is reconquer the world after the radiation cleared... it would have been extremely fertile ground for an Enclave faction. As the good guys OR bad guys, really.

The Enclave is one of the factions running on automatic.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Brotherhood themselves weren't in Appalachia. This was a group of soldiers who listened to Roger Maxson via satellite and took up the Brotherhood ideology, using power armor left over from the massive riots and public disturbances thanks to all the mining and automation going on

West-Tek hosed around with FEV and released it into the Huntersville water supply, thus making Super Mutants, Snallygasters, and Grafton Monsters

The game explains this, but since it's all in Holotapes and Terminals, nobody cares because they can't sit down and have an NPC lay it all out for you

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

The Brotherhood themselves weren't in Appalachia. This was a group of soldiers who listened to Roger Maxson via satellite and took up the Brotherhood ideology, using power armor left over from the massive riots and public disturbances thanks to all the mining and automation going on

West-Tek hosed around with FEV and released it into the Huntersville water supply, thus making Super Mutants, Snallygasters, and Grafton Monsters

The game explains this, but since it's all in Holotapes and Terminals, nobody cares because they can't sit down and have an NPC lay it all out for you

The whole Taggerdy, a surviving US Ranger, deciding to help co-found the Brotherhood of Steel with "her good friend" Maxson over the radio was really stupid and clearly just an excuse to shoehorn in the BOS.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

Vinylshadow posted:

more accurately already had power armor because they were (mostly) US army remnants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

The new Sim Settlements expansion for pip boy 4 (conqueror) lets you kill off the Concord crew including Preston and as expected, it owns. Literally noone is safe as you can pull a new execute move when they are sitting on the ground being all npc like.

I felt kinda bad stabbing Grandma 7 times but i had no choice, well i did but gently caress those guys