Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

"BRAVEST OF THE LAMPS IS IN THE THREAD! GO GET 'EM BOTLS!"

"Yeah, but WHOSE SIDE IS HE ON?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

It's hard to pick, but what is the best written female character in the series?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I don't know when BotL is going to crack but it's going to be amazing.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I miss the old BOTL / poo poo on the books BOTL

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
For those of us who aren't regular posters in this sub-forum, what happened to BotL?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Karnegal posted:

For those of us who aren't regular posters in this sub-forum, what happened to BotL?

Check his rap sheet and cross-check his avatar text.

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001

Karnegal posted:

he got harrison bergeroned for being too good of a poster

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Zoracle Zed posted:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zoracle Zed posted:

Speaking of harrison bergerone - is it Like a beloved libertarian text? I read it in early high school, but that was a long time ago now, so maybe it wasn't as bad as I recall, but It seems like an ubermensch story

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Karnegal posted:

Speaking of harrison bergerone - is it Like a beloved libertarian text? I read it in early high school, but that was a long time ago now, so maybe it wasn't as bad as I recall, but It seems like an ubermensch story

quote:

For a cinematic attack on enforced equality, you could hardly do better than this wonderful film. Harrison Bergeron fully articulates the price of enforced equality, in terms of both lost liberty and of those accomplishments that inequitably great people make possible. Based on a Kurt Vonnegut story, it has an imaginative and thought-provoking quality. This is a moving and stimulating experience, and one of the most dead-on libertarian films ever made.
http://missliberty.com/kurt-vonneguts-harrison-bergeron-1995/

Zoracle Zed
Jul 10, 2001
it's a satire of american anti-communist propaganda but lots of dummies take it at face value

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

Zoracle Zed posted:

it's a satire of american anti-communist propaganda but lots of dummies take it at face value

Just on satire in general, I blame the satire more often than the reader. Most people think reading is something you can finally stop doing when high school is over. Anyone reading past then at least kind of gives a gently caress.

So if you write lovely, hard to understand satire and it gets misinterpreted, that's not solely- or even primarily- on your audience.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I was hate-reading some goodreads reviews the other day and anyway do you think Rothfuss is above or below Ursula Le Guin on the all-time list?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

pentyne posted:

It's hard to pick, but what is the best written female character in the series?

It's obviously the sex fairie.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich

eXXon posted:

I was hate-reading some goodreads reviews the other day and anyway do you think Rothfuss is above or below Ursula Le Guin on the all-time list?
i will pack the man's virgin rear end in a top hat with raw mince

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Every character in a Rothfuss novel is hot as gently caress. All the women are smoke shows, all the men are handsome, nobody is even average looking. It's like a fantasy telenovela.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ulmont posted:

Check his rap sheet and cross-check his avatar text.

That is just cruel and unusual.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

ElGroucho posted:

Every character in a Rothfuss novel is hot as gently caress. All the women are smoke shows, all the men are handsome, nobody is even average looking. It's like a fantasy telenovela.

It's real good.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I had a fart, but it was a fart in three parts.

The first was silent, a dull whisper of vengeful promise. The second was boisterous, angry with all the ribald passion of a drunken pitbull. But the third? That one came with a special prize.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Nice piece of fish posted:

That is just cruel and unusual.

It's a posting version of A Clockwork Orange :smith:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Really psyched for The Doors of Stone. Can't wait.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014

In conclusion, Rothfuss is a land of contrasts. Thank you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
pure peach fuzz :)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Captain Hotbutt posted:

"it's as beautiful as a really beautiful thing" Did Edmund Blackadder write that review?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Blackadder is funny.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Strom Cuzewon posted:

"it's as beautiful as a really beautiful thing" Did Edmund Blackadder write that review?
The note was as sad as saying sad. I think we don't have to look that far for the suspect.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Hotbutt posted:

lmao, Alex rules

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I read the note and my heart felt sad. Sad as sad can be. My heart made a frowny face.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

eXXon posted:

If you gave Patrick Rothfuss a century to write (and if he actually spent it writing and not just shilling for his charity that raises money for other charities and doing Kickstarter side projects), he would still not be able to produce something even a quarter as good as Ursula LeGuin’s least good book.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

Doctor Faustine posted:

If you gave Patrick Rothfuss a century to write (and if he actually spent it writing and not just shilling for his charity that raises money for other charities and doing Kickstarter side projects), he would still not be able to produce something even a quarter as good as Ursula LeGuin’s least good book.

LeGuin's been popping up a lot on SA lately, gonna have to finally read one of them thar books

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
It's a logical continuation, she's easily as good as Rothfuss :)

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

You should review the second book now that your perceptions have shifted BOTL

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't think I can force myself to power through the sex ninja bullshit I know is coming.

I guess I'll never find out if Kvothe gets out of the friends-who-tell-each-other-they-love-each-other-zone with his fancy non-sexual prostitute lady friend

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

I don't think I can force myself to power through the sex ninja bullshit I know is coming.

I guess I'll never find out if Kvothe gets out of the friends-who-tell-each-other-they-love-each-other-zone with his fancy non-sexual prostitute lady friend

There's a one thousand percent chance that Denna's just going to die in a way that paints Kvothe himself as the martyr

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

There's a one thousand percent chance that Denna's just going to die in a way that paints Kvothe himself as the martyr

What's aggravating about that Denna thing, is that when she was first introduced as this young lady he meets on a journey, I thought it was actually very well done. When you're young, you constantly meet these women you convince yourself are your soulmate. He could have gone the rest of his life thinking about how he might have settled down and had a simple life instead of all the crazy poo poo he is going to get in to later. Some nice nostalgia poo poo.

Instead he meets her again (of course) and continues to bump in to her (by chance!) for the rest of his stupid loving life. This dude accidentally bumps in to Denna more times than I accidentally bump in to my wife while we are cooking in our kitchen.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
I'm just catching up with the thread and I can't wait for nu-BOTL predictions for Doors of Stone

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
What do you think is behind that secret door? I bet its plot progression.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ElGroucho posted:

What do you think is behind that secret door? I bet its plot progression.

Nah, it's just a sweaty threesome of Denna, Ambrose and Auri.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Auri's hands are so child-like and small that you can get them up in a butt, no problem.

That's why Kvothe is known to the Adem as Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

It's the last one in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Benson Cunningham posted:

That's why Kvothe is known to the Adem as Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.
Thanks for reminding me of my favorite Rothfuss gimmick. I was beginning to forget just what I love so much about him.