Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Old Grasshopper posted:

Hey guys.

I'm still doing my first playthrough of the game and the thing that I'm struggling with the most is the sheer amount of walking. It starts to become quite labourious after a while (to the point where I'm no longer enjoying the exploration, I just want to get to my destination).

Any recommendations for a mod or a way to move around quicker? I know there are the fast travel giant-flying-woodlouse-things, that that literally means no exploration at all.

either enchant a ring with Jump 20 for 10 seconds and just leap around everywhere

or press ` and type setspeed 200

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Checking out those mods at first I think "Whoa cool, everything looks so big and lively!"

Then I think "oh gently caress I gotta navigate through all that?"

I've come to accept that I'm cool with not being able to enter every building in video games.

Yeah. Old Ebonheart in TR has multiples of each store type and my immediate reaction was to run the other loving way because there's just no point.

I found a Barrister's Guild and checked that out, found a quest to misdirect a mobster to another town. Went back to the docks (crossing the entire city in the process) found the mobster, told him the guy he was looking for was somewhere else and he was like "lol nah brah, you're full of poo poo". Which I was. So I checked my journal and it tells me to go back to the Barrister to let him know and figure out what to do next. Yeah. No. Good luck bud, I say as I step back on the boat bound for the main game. Not my problem.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Yeah. Old Ebonheart in TR has multiples of each store type and my immediate reaction was to run the other loving way because there's just no point.

I found a Barrister's Guild and checked that out, found a quest to misdirect a mobster to another town. Went back to the docks (crossing the entire city in the process) found the mobster, told him the guy he was looking for was somewhere else and he was like "lol nah brah, you're full of poo poo". Which I was. So I checked my journal and it tells me to go back to the Barrister to let him know and figure out what to do next. Yeah. No. Good luck bud, I say as I step back on the boat bound for the main game. Not my problem.

Thats a bad reason to leave a city with more quests than vivec lol

Hey speed running guy use this mod
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43413/

This mod is basically mandatory because it fixes runspeed and fixes stamina draining on run.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Vavrek posted:

I'm reminded of my occasional uses of Live Another Life in Skyrim. For some time, I was convinced that "random" was simply a code for "in a wrecked ship, north of Winterhold." The optimism which drove me to use LAL typically coincided with giving Frostfall a try.

:rip:

My random start was right outside a den of vampires outside some small city in ruined armor. I just walked to the city and bought better armor. :v:

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

This mod is basically mandatory because it fixes runspeed and fixes stamina draining on run.

I think I need to install this and uninstall the lua Speed and Movement Rebalance, because making your character crawl even slower and barely be able to jump is completely loving unfun and the people who claim that mod is great are loving insane. I tried setting my speed and athletics both to 100 with it and it still felt like crawling through mollasses: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46029

(though you can keep the lua part without the esp and still have a sprint button, heehee)

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Feb 8, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stuporstar posted:

I think I need to install this and uninstall the lua Speed and Movement Rebalance, because making your character crawl even slower and barely be able to jump is completely loving unfun and the people who claim that mod is great are loving insane. I tried setting my speed and athletics both to 100 with it and it still felt like crawling through mollasses: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46029

(though you can keep the lua part without the esp and still have a sprint button, heehee)

All they had to do was make runspeed a slider.

I like 99% of what remiros makes, and i wouldnt say this to his face, but that mod of his sucks lol

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Nah they're kinda right. Quests that just make you run back and forth over long distances with nothing else of interest occurring are bad design.

Whether that quest is an outlier or not is a different question. But I will say I also found old ebonheart way too big to navigate sensibly. Game worlds necessarily make everything smaller scale than real life because nobody wants to spend their game time navigating a realistically scaled Chicago or whatever.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

jit bull transpile posted:

Nah they're kinda right. Quests that just make you run back and forth over long distances with nothing else of interest occurring are bad design.

Whether that quest is an outlier or not is a different question. But I will say I also found old ebonheart way too big to navigate sensibly. Game worlds necessarily make everything smaller scale than real life because nobody wants to spend their game time navigating a realistically scaled Chicago or whatever.

Yeah, I just wasn't up for navigating new obnoxiously unnecessarily big city that night. I'll be going back to check on TR and Skyrim content once I can reliably cast levitate/have ridiculous ups that make it way simpler to get around.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

you're in the morrowind thread

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Stuporstar posted:

quote:

-Moving while jumping no longer makes you move faster than just running.Bunny hopping is no longer a viable mechanic
I won't stand for this motherfucking blasphemy

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
What's even the point of acrobatics then?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Previous to this evening, I had never done the quest for the Boots of Blinding Speed. I had never worn them, and was not aware of how cheap and easy it was to make a 100%, 1 second resist magicka spell.

Ahahaha. Ahahahahaha. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

My speed stat is at 270. I'm the Usain Bolt of Vvardenfel. My walk speed is now faster than my run speed was. My run speed is Sonic the Hedgehog on crack.

Morrowind, Game of the Year Every Year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

you're in the morrowind thread

Very few mw quests just send you somewhere with absolutely nothing to do but go straight back after clicking one line of dialog. That's sub fetch quest tier. I'm not saying there's no badly designed quests in the main game, but they're at least less tedious by virtue of the world being more navigable.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Very few mw quests just send you somewhere with absolutely nothing to do but go straight back after clicking one line of dialog. That's sub fetch quest tier. I'm not saying there's no badly designed quests in the main game, but they're at least less tedious by virtue of the world being more navigable.

Very few TR quests do that either, and dammit dude im just pissed someone left the most detailed city in any game that i helped go create because of a mediocre quest made a decade ago lol

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

it is true, most the vvardenfell quests are mediocre really

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Cat Mattress posted:

I won't stand for this motherfucking blasphemy

No poo poo. Who the gently caress was like "jumping is OP, better nerf it", or even worse thought "jumping being fast is clearly a bug that i need to fix"

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Very few TR quests do that either, and dammit dude im just pissed someone left the most detailed city in any game that i helped go create because of a mediocre quest made a decade ago lol

Did you make the quest with Neel Guymont and holy poo poo I just got that joke. Neil Gaiman.

I actually liked that quest.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

Did you make the quest with Neel Guymont and holy poo poo I just got that joke. Neil Gaiman.

I actually liked that quest.

No :shobon:

Those 2 mentioned were more or less done years ago and we put finishing touchs on them. I did the fg and eec, census and excise, cobbled together the MG, a few embassies, and the first quest of legion. A lot of npc dialogue too. Also The Fiend archaeology quest i think 3 people have ever found lol

I dont like my fg quests but theyre serviceable. The final axe you get is amazing, its too bad no one has abused its script yet that ive seen. The weeks leading up to OE release were wild, we had no guild quests like 2 months out and one of our best devs shows up from a year long hiatus and posts 10 tg quests and theyre all great lol. I was the only active quest dev for a few months and someone had promised a spring release so im here scrambling to get some semblance of guild quests done and thank gently caress people showed up lol

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Those 2 mentioned were more or less done years ago and we put finishing touchs on them. I did the fg and eec, census and excise, cobbled together the MG, a few embassies, and the first quest of legion. A lot of npc dialogue too. Also The Fiend archaeology quest i think 3 people have ever found lol

I dont like my fg quests but theyre serviceable. The final axe you get is amazing, its too bad no one has abused its script yet that ive seen. The weeks leading up to OE release were wild, we had no guild quests like 2 months out and one of our best devs shows up from a year long hiatus and posts 10 tg quests and theyre all great lol. I was the only active quest dev for a few months and someone had promised a spring release so im here scrambling to get some semblance of guild quests done and thank gently caress people showed up lol

Sorry I pissed in your Cheerios dude. Like I said, I was planning on going back anyway, eventually. The sheer amount of stuff was kind of intimidating for a low-level not-yet-Nerevarine.

Give me an idea of where to go to find the archaeology quest and I'll make sure to do it.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

All they had to do was make runspeed a slider.

I like 99% of what remiros makes, and i wouldnt say this to his face, but that mod of his sucks lol

I yelled "I don't like this!" in the discord where he could clearly see, but it's clearly a matter of taste Morrowinsanity, so I doubt he's gonna change it. Hotloading your own GMST changes using this mod is clearly the superior answer https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45818

Also just realized the sprint button mod and abot's Move or Take my Place both use the left Alt key, so I guess I have to decide which button I want better.

Stuporstar fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 8, 2019

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RickVoid posted:

Sorry I pissed in your Cheerios dude. Like I said, I was planning on going back anyway, eventually. The sheer amount of stuff was kind of intimidating for a low-level not-yet-Nerevarine.

Give me an idea of where to go to find the archaeology quest and I'll make sure to do it.

Youre not pissing in any of my breakfast cereals, i just disagree and am surprised at your reaction. I hope you come back and enjoy the city. Find the fiend quest by being like level 15+ and asking latest rumors in OE. Or walk into the imperial archaeology guild. If you hear whispers youve found it. Its ridiculously difficult but gives you one of two rewards that should rival anything you find in vanilla mw, short of like, sunder and keening.

Stuporstar posted:

I yelled "I don't like this!" in the discord where he could clearly see, but it's clearly a matter of taste Morrowinsanity, so I doubt he's gonna change it. Hotloading your own GMST changes using this mod is clearly the superior answer https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45818

Also just realized the sprint button mod and abot's Move or Take my Place both use the left Alt key, so I guess I have to decide which button I want better.

He put the mod under free permissions, im thinking of grabbing it and putting configs / sliders / rebindable keys with a very generous personal default more in line with what people actually want

You can edit the config ini or the mod itself and change the key code. The mwse site should have a key list, or just tell me which ones you want and ill tell you lol.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

drat it I really wanted to do archeology but all I saw were infodump chars and "don't go in here." So I went in and there were a shitload of cops and I bailed out before they could yell at me.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

drat it I really wanted to do archeology but all I saw were infodump chars and "don't go in here." So I went in and there were a shitload of cops and I bailed out before they could yell at me.

Lol where was that?

The guild hall in the town (not ebon tower) is pretty gusrd free. I dont think anyone in the restricted areas will arrest you. The two vaults in the ebon tower will absolutely get you arrested if you break in lol. Of course, if you want the armistice you have no choice.

Not going to spoil the puzzle, but heres what you have in store if you manage to figure it out:

https://youtu.be/NyOqFzfmsVI

There isnt a True Archaeology guild yet, thats part of the eternally put off kemel ze rework.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

That's too cool. It should've been Dick Butt at the end.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a mod that will change the map to local when you go inside and to world when you go outside? Specifically, I have the map window pinned, rather than using the little square. Is such a thing even possible?

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gah, still recovering from my last play session. Went on a bit of a Grand Tour, completing a bunch of Thieves Guild quests in Ald'Ruhn and the Main Quest in Vivec that gets you a very important book and launches you on the path to Hortator and Nerevarine; except Dierdra, sticky-fingered Dunmer Wizardess, has no interest in being anyone's god-damned saviour. So after Caius breaks the news to her and offers her assistence as he sets her down her path, she loving runs as far the gently caress away as she can get from Golden-Faced Half-Gods and active Volcanoes. Not to the Mainland, no, the Blades might find her there. But a cold and empty island to the northwest, far from Imperial and Temple concerns? In Solsthiem she can hide.

Until she accidentally cuts a miner with a daedric wakizashi while saving him from a loving bear who decides to have him and his buddies beat her unconcious and then to death. At which point I realize that someone who until now had been doing a very good job saving before doing risky things (like trying to steal something, or exploring a dangerous dungeon, or opening a door to a new map) didn't save once during a two hour session.

:negative:

I mean, yeah, this time I'll probably take the Daedric spear from Dren as the reward since I already have the Bound Dagger spell, and grab Withershins when I rob the Mages guild this time so that I can just turn it over to the Jeweler, and I probably won't piss off a bunch of Nobles in Under-Skar since I already know where all the good stuff to steal is and how best to get it, and those miners can kill their own goddamned bear the ungrateful fucks. It's just the prospect of having to DO IT AGAIN so soon that suckssssss.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hooah posted:

Is there a mod that will change the map to local when you go inside and to world when you go outside? Specifically, I have the map window pinned, rather than using the little square. Is such a thing even possible?

not only is such a thing possible, I made it for you

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381219559094616064/544001581285244929/Mapswap2.zip

drag and drop etc

Press G if you want to hotswap between the two fast

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Lol where was that?

The guild hall in the town (not ebon tower) is pretty gusrd free. I dont think anyone in the restricted areas will arrest you. The two vaults in the ebon tower will absolutely get you arrested if you break in lol. Of course, if you want the armistice you have no choice.

Not going to spoil the puzzle, but heres what you have in store if you manage to figure it out:

https://youtu.be/NyOqFzfmsVI

There isnt a True Archaeology guild yet, thats part of the eternally put off kemel ze rework.

I literally walked into the archeologists' guild, saw there were cops everywhere & there were several doors with signs saying "don't come in here," I went in there and saw 3x the amount of cops just walking around corridors and noped out

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Make this mod your new friend: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45608

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

I literally walked into the archeologists' guild, saw there were cops everywhere & there were several doors with signs saying "don't come in here," I went in there and saw 3x the amount of cops just walking around corridors and noped out

I dont think anyone in the restricted areas will arrest you.

its more like "dont dawdle" but even then theyre not scripted to do anything

its flavour

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

not only is such a thing possible, I made it for you

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/381219559094616064/544001581285244929/Mapswap2.zip

drag and drop etc

Press G if you want to hotswap between the two fast

Holy poo poo you're awesome!

Also, I should grab that save mod too...

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I've been following the mod guide on page 176 that's now in the OP and threw in a few others from the OP as well. Fixed a bunch of typical errors and now I'm just down to one:

Unable to find region "Reach, Lorchwuir Heath" in
Load for Cell "Karthwasten, Bazaar"

It's related to the Skyrim Home of the Nords mod, I can tell that much, but neither redownloading it Morrowind Mod Organizer nor manually make a difference. Any ideas or thoughts on fixing it would be appreciated, it's my last hurdle.

EDIT: I fixed this by disabling Sky_Main_Grass.esp and I have no idea why it worked but hey.

Alikchi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 10, 2019

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Alikchi posted:

I've been following the mod guide on page 176 that's now in the OP and threw in a few others from the OP as well. Fixed a bunch of typical errors and now I'm just down to one:

Unable to find region "Reach, Lorchwuir Heath" in
Load for Cell "Karthwasten, Bazaar"

It's related to the Skyrim Home of the Nords mod, I can tell that much, but neither redownloading it Morrowind Mod Organizer nor manually make a difference. Any ideas or thoughts on fixing it would be appreciated, it's my last hurdle.

EDIT: I fixed this by disabling Sky_Main_Grass.esp and I have no idea why it worked but hey.

You aren't supposed to enable any of the _grass.esp files during play. Those are only to be checked when you are generating distant land in MGE XE.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46283?tab=files

quickloot 1.2

allows looting of dead npcs / creatures

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46377
Its here, the master grass plugin including all TR lands

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46377
Its here, the master grass plugin including all TR lands

This is noticeably better for performance than the merged version of Ozzy's Grass. What's the best way to provide feedback or report bugs? I found a couple places in Balmora where grass is growing through stairs or sidewalk. I don't have anything that should be changing the ground meshes there.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hooah posted:

This is noticeably better for performance than the merged version of Ozzy's Grass. What's the best way to provide feedback or report bugs? I found a couple places in Balmora where grass is growing through stairs or sidewalk. I don't have anything that should be changing the ground meshes there.

Probably the nexus comments

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Another problem with my install, clearly related to TR missing files - I've done everything I can think of, reinstalled, made sure the BSA was in morrowind.ini, etc. Thoughts? Sorry about the phone pic.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How do you have your mods installed? Are you using a loader of some sort like Mod Organizer, or are you installing things directly into your Data Files directory? If you are using Mod Organizer, it uses its own local copy the Morrowind.ini file, and that is the one that needs to be edited rather than the one in the Morrowind folder, if that's the case. I don't have any other ideas beside :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Ahhh that makes sense. I've been using Mod Organizer and editing the vanilla ini. I'll see if this works when I get home, thank you.