Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

At the tail end of CCWS, weren't they supplying Bridgestone-branded tires to CCWS and Firestone-branded tires to the IRL, at the same time? I'm guessing they probably did the math and figured out that of the two, with the remaining actual target market, Firestone is the more recognizable brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.ohio.com/news/20190206/akron-getting-first-new-tire-factory-in-generations

Made the local papers back home.

My childhood hero in Akron is a cool thing!

This is awesome guys. God Bless Firestone/Bridgestone.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Hi i'm 22 years old and I've been watching indycar for 8 years and I just learned that firestone and bridgestone are the same loving thing because of posts in this thread please mock me

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

At the tail end of CCWS, weren't they supplying Bridgestone-branded tires to CCWS and Firestone-branded tires to the IRL, at the same time? I'm guessing they probably did the math and figured out that of the two, with the remaining actual target market, Firestone is the more recognizable brand.

They were. But also the merger was technically everybody closing shop and moving to ICS, which had the Firestone deal. I’m sure they’ve analyzed which brand to use, that doesn’t go without question.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Basticle posted:

I'm genuinely curious why they continue to use the Firestone name and not Bridgestone. I'm in my 30s so when I hear "Firestone" I immediately picture a Ford Explorer flipping on the interestate.

Marketing. They used Bridgestone in CART from 2002-2007.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Spaced God posted:

Hi i'm 22 years old and I've been watching indycar for 8 years and I just learned that firestone and bridgestone are the same loving thing because of posts in this thread please mock me

They were not at one point.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Frond posted:

They were not at one point.

They have been since before he was born however.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1093509764951261184?s=19
https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1093521085956534277?s=19

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The IndyCar "pass" is named as such because that's what I'm gonna do to the idea of spending $50 on content they used to provide for free.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I'll probably get it, but im not enthusiastic about it. If it had the races too, would be a different story.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

The Kimoa Kid posted:

The IndyCar "pass" is named as such because that's what I'm gonna do to the idea of spending $50 on content they used to provide for free.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Speaking of spending a ton of money, there was a recent announcement about the NENT Group securing the rights in Nordic countries, meaning that the races will now be shown on Viaplay over here and I'll have to pay 30 loving euros a month if I want to watch them legally. Lovely, thanks lads.

I have no problem paying for stuff I want to watch (I had the IndyCar season pass for ESPN Player last year, which wasn't amazing but I got to see all the races live without commercials and it cost me something like 40-50 EUR for the year) but I don't want to pay exorbitant prices for a bunch of bullshit I don't care about, in this case literally everything else on Viaplay. I don't care about other sports or lovely movies, I just want to watch the goddamn Indy races! :argh:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

The Kimoa Kid posted:

just gonna head over to a certain subreddit instead

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cygni posted:

I'll probably get it, but im not enthusiastic about it. If it had the races too, would be a different story.

This. Hell, I’d even pay up to $100 for a package that gets me all season content including races on any device. Lol at having cable in 2019.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

devmd01 posted:

This. Hell, I’d even pay up to $100 for a package that gets me all season content including races on any device. Lol at having cable in 2019.

I got YouTube TV last year and it's the greatest thing ever for only :20bux::20bux:/mo, and the INDYCAR Pass works down to $4.17/month so <$45/mo is better than anything cable could ever offer

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

KingShibby posted:

I got YouTube TV last year and it's the greatest thing ever for only :20bux::20bux:/mo, and the INDYCAR Pass works down to $4.17/month so <$45/mo is better than anything cable could ever offer

:same:

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It's a loss missing out on YouTube practices and replays but I think the series feels it will be worth it in the long-term to monetize this stuff and use that money to invest into the future. The audience is big enough to where Indycar and NBC sees more value in charging for it than giving it away; but not yet big enough to have mega TV deals, huge league revenues, or sheer audience numbers that can subsidize it like with packages for other sports leagues (MLB, NHL, etc).

IMO this is a good step in the right direction, ultimately. It might be another step or two before it's perfected, but we're not moving backwards with this.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I assume it was a condition that either NBC or ABC would have demanded. I doubt any network is gonna just leave that stuff on the table these days when they are all trying to beef up their streaming platforms.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wasn't referring to YouTube. NBC used to put all this kind of content on the NBC Sports app. Maybe that wasn't the case with IndyCar, but with the other sports they covered you had access to everything if you had access to a cable account. Now you have to pay for cable or YouTube TV or something to get NBC, NBC Sports, CNBC, etc. content, then pay a second subscription for the stuff they've decided to lock behind a paywall. I very much consider this to be going backwards.

The better example is the Premier League. NBC would air one or two games at a time on TV, and everything else would be free on NBC Sports Live Extra. All of those free games are now behind a paywall, and if you want to watch every game you have to pay for two services. There is no one service that covers it all. It is extremely, intensely stupid.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'll pay for the drat thing.

My dad probably will too. I'd come home from school to see him excitingly talking about practice airing on ESPN2 or something.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's fine if you only really care about IndyCar, I guess. If you watch a lot of sports and a lot of TV, these companies are now pricing streaming services to the point where it costs 2-3 times as much as it did with cable. There's no way anyone can afford all this poo poo.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

The Kimoa Kid posted:

It's fine if you only really care about IndyCar, I guess. If you watch a lot of sports and a lot of TV, these companies are now pricing streaming services to the point where it costs 2-3 times as much as it did with cable. There's no way anyone can afford all this poo poo.

I think that's what they're going for with the Gold thing. Each sport (including Premier League) is a separate subscription, making the whole point for it to be for fanatics of whatever niche thing in the USA

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The Kimoa Kid posted:

Now you have to pay for cable or YouTube TV or something to get NBC, NBC Sports, CNBC, etc. content, then pay a second subscription for the stuff they've decided to lock behind a paywall. I very much consider this to be going backwards.

Ding ding ding. And I don’t have a problem with paying for an OTT pass either (I did for MotoGP for a more expensive pass) but it also gave you live race coverage.

Also sounds like the Japanese coverage is on an app I don’t have, so its back to the ol’ reliable spots for me this year.

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer
It remains that the only way for Canadians to legally stream IndyCar races is via Sportsnet NOW, which is $20 CAD (~$15 USD) per month.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I’ll pay for the Indycar pass, even though practice is usually boring and the qualifying format is often uninteresting compared to F1. All for the promise of decent Road to Indy coverage and replay access. If they drop the ball there, static cameras and no graphics or uninformed announcers, I’m out. How many times did the announcers for MRTI events not even loving realize the race was ending last year? The coverage was trash. If that’s what we’re getting, gently caress that.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Reynold posted:

I’ll pay for the Indycar pass, even though practice is usually boring and the qualifying format is often uninteresting compared to F1. All for the promise of decent Road to Indy coverage and replay access. If they drop the ball there, static cameras and no graphics or uninformed announcers, I’m out. How many times did the announcers for MRTI events not even loving realize the race was ending last year? The coverage was trash. If that’s what we’re getting, gently caress that.

I'm expecting the Indy Lights races to be full production complete with booth guys that know What The gently caress about what's going on. It will be a biiiiiiig strike if it isn't.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
You'll get the same production quality in practice that you'll get in the race. All throughout last year during every practice the NBC guys were running up and down pit lane rehearsing for 2019 so they will be prepared

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I *might* be into the pass if they improve the video quality. Going from F1 coverage on the ESPN app with 60 FPS everything to the NBC Sports app with capped 30 FPS and often sub-720P resolution... bleh. I’m not paying $50 for more of that.
Have they said if replays of practice/quali will be free? In 2017 and prior they always listed them on the app, but 2018 was hit or miss if they’d post replays.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I think this is the direction that auto racing will be heading in the near future and that the last couple of series out there (IMSA, WEC, IndyCar, NASCAR, F1) are sort of milking it until the tv/cable cow is dry.

World of Outlaws, USAC all sort of "tapped" out early and are relying on a (more expensive) pay structure.

I don't quite know whether this is JUST an auto racing thing or it will be occurring with more leagues/sports in the future.

Because at a certain point one must wonder when the NFL for example isn't just going to go "Screw this. We can produce this in-house and keep more money for ourselves".

BTW in case anyone was wondering? Marshall Pruett posted on twitter a long time ago about how CART would have been way ahead of the curb of everyone with forming their own proto-SPEED Channel (apparently they would shown CART related things, USAC events, etc). The article that was posted had Paul Page saying "Why would you NOT take the money from the TV Networks to show your race?".

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

FuzzySkinner posted:

Because at a certain point one must wonder when the NFL for example isn't just going to go "Screw this. We can produce this in-house and keep more money for ourselves".

But then you have to build up the sales staff to earn back the money from advertisers that you’re cutting the middleman (networks) out of. And whether it’s more to build up that staff or to just take the money the networks have.

Plus, the NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL/MLS get enough from having bidding wars to make it worthwhile. And that despite four of those five having their own dedicated networks, too.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

In terms of the "brand"? I think it's because they figure it's a part of Americana in spite of what happened.

To be fair, if I think of America the first thing I do think of is a massive truck which is on fire so...

harperdc posted:

Ding ding ding. And I don’t have a problem with paying for an OTT pass either (I did for MotoGP for a more expensive pass) but it also gave you live race coverage.

Also sounds like the Japanese coverage is on an app I don’t have, so its back to the ol’ reliable spots for me this year.

The concept of paying a subscription to watch a series but not being able to watch THE ACTUAL COMPETITION you would think would be mild blowingly stupid enough to give them pause wouldn't you?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Uh so O’Ward may not even have a seat with Steinbrenner/Harding in 2019.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Frond posted:

ffs, what is this, NASCAR?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Frond posted:

He's guaranteed at least 3 races for winning Lights, beyond that is in question

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/CarlinRacing/status/1093954205792890880

As for O'Ward & Steinbrenner/Harding, there's a rough translation in the comments here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/INDYCAR/comments/anzext/season_of_mexican_driver_patricio_oward_at_risk/

quote:

A source told RÉCORD that the team, stablished by the association between Mike Harding and George Steinbrenner IV, has not found the budget required, at the moment, to have the new team and his two cars on optimal condition to race, and for that reason they will not be present at the test scheduled this Friday at the track in Monterey.

Also someone dug up a deleted comment by Robin Miller from his latest mailbag:

quote:

Let’s just say that Hank is likely going to have to pitch in more than he expected to get started, and I think he already has in order to get Colton to the COTA test. As for Mike Harding, it appears to be lots of what ifs, and I understand the team has two major sponsor proposals in this week. But as it stands today, there will be one car at COTA next week to be shared by Pato and young Herta. But I know O’Ward is concerned about his future, as well he should be, and he’s got $1 million and a bundle of talent to take somewhere else if Harding can’t answer the bell. Providing, of course, there is anyplace to go.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1093965002980057088

Feels like I should be hearing the old ESPN Speedworld theme in the distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5BvSGZU8V8

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

gently caress ESPN

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Fauxhawk Express posted:

gently caress ESPN

ESPN from 1979-2001 was one of the greatest champions for auto racing there ever was. (sort of like how MTV used to be really good for showing music during the same era)

Speedweek, RPM 2 Night, The Classics, Legends of the Brickyard....in addition to "Speedworld's" coverage of NASCAR, IMSA, IndyCar, "Saturday Night Thunder" and F1 were an incredible introduction to a generation of racing fans.

ESPN 2002-present is some sort of bizarre hellish frankenstein zombie that lives off of lovely basketball hot takes and trying to make college football unbearable to watch.

I feel nostalgia for the former though. I would much, much rather tune into ESPN2 next week and find them airing practice from Daytona like the old days then some show with two assholes screaming at each other about James Harden and LeBron James.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

crossposting, if you havent seen the latest Top Gear they had an excellent Jim Clark film

https://streamable.com/5bqgr
https://streamable.com/tvniw
https://streamable.com/2jj5d

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
As a relatively new comer to IndyCar, and knowing that you IndyCar guys love a history chat, what happened in 2015 that caused the series not to return to Fontana? Seems like a cool track for cool kids, and another place to use the speedway aero, which I don't think there's enough of, eye em eitch oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They moved a race with poor attendance already, to a mid summer afternoon when it would be even hotter in the stands. Then didn't renew the contract because attendance was poo poo.

The racing was great (though perhaps not as safe as it should be) but they utterly hosed the timing.

I think it speaks very loudly about how much of a different type of event it is from a street circuit race event where it is maybe an hour away from Long Beach, which has never had crowd problems. The way that they run ovals that aren't Indy these days just doesn't make sense for all but the hardcore fans.