Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

why does Instagram not have a dislike button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Agorism is a libertarian social philosophy that advocates creating a society in which all relations between people are voluntary exchanges by means of counter-economics, thus engaging with aspects of peaceful revolution. It was first proposed by libertarian philosopher Samuel Edward Konkin III (1947–2004) at two conferences, "CounterCon I" in October 1974 and "CounterCon II" in May 1975.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Snack Bitch posted:

Checks out the blog on the brewery site...:yikes:

Well you made me look and then I rabbit hole'd to the Lions of Liberty podcast, which hosts such luminaries as this guy:

quote:

On today’s show Austin Jones from Atlas Arms joins John to talk about his project Atlas Arms, which hopes to bring armor piercing bullets to the masses.

Sooooo... yeah.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Voluntary practices of counter-economics include:[4]

Arms trafficking[not in citation given]
Bartering and alternative currency use
Being an illegal immigrant or hiring illegal immigrants
Drug trafficking
Electricity Theft or Tapping[not in citation given]
Exchange of food stamps
Mutual credit
Off-grid energy and Solar energy[not in citation given]
Smuggling
Subsistence farming
Tax evasion
Prostitution

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Only one question, are children allowed at the brewery?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
They lost me at, "Help us get Pew.."

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Snack Bitch posted:

Only one question, are children allowed at the brewery?

Yes, but there is a small chance they will be abducted and sold on the black market.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's a brewery I've never heard of. PR stunt worked

Kind of. I'm in their target market and instead of going "never heard of these guys, let's give it a shot" I added them to "Dipshit CHUDs to tell everyone I know to avoid"

But maybe they'll make up for that selling a Double English Maple IPA to gamergate kids

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I hope this is the place to ask about hard ciders. Are there any that taste similar to regular cider, hopefully nationally available? I feel like most hard ciders I've tried taste like hard apple juice.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Human Tornada posted:

I hope this is the place to ask about hard ciders. Are there any that taste similar to regular cider, hopefully nationally available? I feel like most hard ciders I've tried taste like hard apple juice.

Little confused since you don’t clarify your interpretation of hard cider v regular cider? I’m a fan of French Normandie ciders, specifically Etienne Dupont’s stuff, particularly his reserve aged in Calvados barrels.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Hard cider containing alcohol, regular cider being the non-alcoholic stuff you buy in milk jugs at hay rides and in the produce section of the grocery store in the fall. Regular cider has kind of a funky, tart flavor and the hard ciders I've had taste like alcoholic apple juice with varying levels of sweetness.

But I'm no hard cider expert and I've only had the mass produced brands sold in six packs next to the beer.

Quantrill
Nov 18, 2005

Owner of Actual Brewing in Columbus is a more-than-terrible person:

https://www.columbusalive.com/news/20190206/cover-multiple-women-accuse-actual-brewing-founder-fred-lee-of-sexual-assault

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
^ Actual Creep

Human Tornada posted:

Hard cider containing alcohol, regular cider being the non-alcoholic stuff you buy in milk jugs at hay rides and in the produce section of the grocery store in the fall. Regular cider has kind of a funky, tart flavor and the hard ciders I've had taste like alcoholic apple juice with varying levels of sweetness.

But I'm no hard cider expert and I've only had the mass produced brands sold in six packs next to the beer.

as FL pointed out, ciders from Normandy, Asturia, or Basque country are rad and they tend to be dry, funky, and often a bit tart. if you tell us where you live, i'm sure people can give you more specific recommendations; it's not on the level of beer, but cideries are popping up all over the place nowadays.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Cincinnati area

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Haha, yikes. I've been there several times and enjoyed the beer... guess I'm not going back.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

funkybottoms posted:

^ Actual Creep

as FL pointed out, ciders from Normandy, Asturia, or Basque country are rad and they tend to be dry, funky, and often a bit tart. if you tell us where you live, i'm sure people can give you more specific recommendations; it's not on the level of beer, but cideries are popping up all over the place nowadays.

Thank you for including Spain on this list.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Man this is terrifying. I've been to most of the places in the article, what a creep.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Feed him to the soybeans

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Cincinnati area

local-ish friend said Streetside usually has decent cider on their guest taps, and i seem to remember one of the local breweries making cider, too... maybe Listermann? otherwise, yeah, hit up a good bottle shop and look for stuff from the regions mentioned- Etienne Dupont stuff is widely distributed and around here we see also see Isastegi, Riestra, and sometimes Trabanco, Sagardoa, and Sarasola.

VVV my understanding is that they're a brewery that makes a couple of cider-ish beers

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Feb 7, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Rhinegeist is a local cidery I think?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

They're done for. A bunch of bars and grocery stores have already announced they won't sell their stuff anymore, and several more announced they had stopped selling their stuff months ago because of their terrible reputation in the local industry.

Meanwhile, their attempt at damage control was... not well-received.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

funkybottoms posted:

local-ish friend said Streetside usually has decent cider on their guest taps, and i seem to remember one of the local breweries making cider, too... maybe Listermann? otherwise, yeah, hit up a good bottle shop and look for stuff from the regions mentioned- Etienne Dupont stuff is widely distributed and around here we see also see Isastegi, Riestra, and sometimes Trabanco, Sagardoa, and Sarasola.

Cool, I'll keep an eye out for a couple of these.

quote:

VVV my understanding is that they're a brewery that makes a couple of cider-ish beers

Yep. They were one of the first big local names during the craft beer explosion and is sold basically everywhere you can buy beer. I think their stuff is kinda 'meh' but it's the one your parents want to visit when they're in the city and they think it's pretty hip.

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009
Hell yes :metal: https://splinternews.com/one-of-the...impression=true

Google brace belden

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Human Tornada posted:

Cincinnati area

Biomute posted:

Rhinegeist is a local cidery I think?

We have a few ciders (well, technically "apple ales"); Dry-Hopped, Semi-Dry and Wowie, which are all canned and distributed, and a few that are draft only in the taproom and around town (Lemongrass Ginger and Swizzle). The Cidergeist Semi-Dry is probably closest to what your looking for, it has a little bit of that murky, unfiltered cider flavor. I totally get what your saying though, most ciders taste like (and are made from) processed and filtered apple juice.

March First Brewing and Sonder (both up in the Mason area) do a bunch of ciders as well. Madtree usually has a taproom-only cider, Listermann usually has a housemade on draft as well. Just about every brewery taproom will have a guest cider on tap, typically just so they have a "gluten-free" offering. The quality varies wildly from place to place though.

I'll also shamelessly plug my restaurant, Sartre OTR, here as well. We have a few really nice basque ciders in bottles available (which I think would be right up your alley, its all apples and funk) and the food is pretty ace as well. If you decide to come check it out let me know, i'll hook you up. Plus, after your nice fancy dinner you can head upstairs to the Rhinegeist taproom and crush some more ciders!

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Merkin Muffley posted:

I'll also shamelessly plug my restaurant, Sartre OTR, here as well. We have a few really nice basque ciders in bottles available (which I think would be right up your alley, its all apples and funk) and the food is pretty ace as well. If you decide to come check it out let me know, i'll hook you up. Plus, after your nice fancy dinner you can head upstairs to the Rhinegeist taproom and crush some more ciders!

I'm going to have to check this out. I live in Louisville and go to Cincinnati a few times a year (last time was for the saints game). Looks nice!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Merkin Muffley posted:

I've been to Sartre, I was headed to Rhinegeist but it was crowded and hot in there so I hung out near the bar at Sartre and drank / ate some great appetizers. Five forks.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Nestharken posted:

Meanwhile, their attempt at damage control was... not well-received.

drat, that's like reading the comments on those Capital One Cafe facebook posts

Cloks posted:

I've been to Sartre, I was headed to Rhinegeist but it was crowded and hot in there so I hung out near the bar at Sartre and drank / ate some great appetizers. Five sporks.

ftfy

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Merkin Muffley posted:

We have a few ciders (well, technically "apple ales"); Dry-Hopped, Semi-Dry and Wowie, which are all canned and distributed, and a few that are draft only in the taproom and around town (Lemongrass Ginger and Swizzle). The Cidergeist Semi-Dry is probably closest to what your looking for, it has a little bit of that murky, unfiltered cider flavor. I totally get what your saying though, most ciders taste like (and are made from) processed and filtered apple juice.

March First Brewing and Sonder (both up in the Mason area) do a bunch of ciders as well. Madtree usually has a taproom-only cider, Listermann usually has a housemade on draft as well. Just about every brewery taproom will have a guest cider on tap, typically just so they have a "gluten-free" offering. The quality varies wildly from place to place though.

I've had the Cidergeist Semi-Dry before and liked it. I was never a big cider drinker (hard or soft) but was using some soft for a special at work and thought jeez, if hard cider tasted like this I'd drink way more than one or two a year.

quote:

This is a very nice offer, especially to someone who just threw shade at your brewery. Unfortunately I'm not in the city all that often, I live and work up in Butler County but will give it a shot the next time I'm in the area.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Merkin Muffley posted:

Was this a general invite or specific invite.

*buys flight tickets*

Can you pick me up at the airport around 10? Thx

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 8, 2019

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

The Bruery is doing a 6 pack of their white chocolate American Wheatwine for 135. Comes out to 22.50\each. Any takers?

Don't know how far these beers travel vs their standard stock.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 8, 2019

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

incoherent posted:

The Bruery is doing a 6 pack of their white chocolate American Wheatwine

... Why?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I didn't want to be the resident hater but yeah buying 6 White Chocolates is a recipe to drainpour half of one and have the other 5 sit in your "cellar" for 5 years, ask me how I know.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

MunchE posted:

I didn't want to be the resident hater but yeah buying 6 White Chocolates is a recipe to drainpour half of one and have the other 5 sit in your "cellar" for 5 years, ask me how I know.

As the resident Bruery hater... I haven't had White Chocolate in probably 6 years, so maybe in context of the modern pastry movement it is no longer an undrinkable mess of sugar-laden creamsicle beer-trash.

But also it probably still is and the thought of owning 6 bottles of it makes me recoil a little bit. It was definitely one of those bottles that 6 people couldn't finish over the course of a 5-6 hour tasting.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

I don't expect anyone to buy 6 of these, just was letting peeeps get at the meager discount I get through the 🤷‍♂️

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
What! White chocolate owns! I drink Mischief all the time from them. Send me those beers :colbert: I will pay a low dollar amount for them. Possibly 0 !

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Will mr cat be the threads first beetus related death?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Only one way to find out my dudes. I think I'm gonna try a Ten Fiddy tonight. I've seen them in the wild down here and you guys talk it up alot. I'll be sure to post about how much I hate it on here though. You know, as to adhere to thread rules.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
It was nice running into you at Wakefest, FunkyBottoms. Good as hell beer festival imo, the best beer I had all day was the Dancing Gnome Coffee Mexican Chocolate stout, followed probably by Buxton/Omnipollo Blueberry Ice Cream. I wasn't expecting it to be so creamy and chewy and juicy on draft, but it really was incredibly tasty. Obviously Ardent Pils was quite good, as was the Brew Gentleman Zwickel. Sadly missed out on the Cerebral Foudre Lager.

Of the whale stuff, Bake was about the same as I remember it being last year, It Was All A Dream was worthy of its hype, both Antique Blue and BlueBlue were absolutely not even remotely memorable, Faha was a delicious toasted coconut bomb on the level of fresh Prop 13, DB Summation w/ Vanilla or whatever sucked (and literally 4 of the 5 3 Sons beers I had the following day were mediocre too), my girlfriend loved BA Henna Double Rainbow but I don't think I got to try any, Boneflower Meads were fantastic, whatever stout Forager brought was not worth every single bottle of theirs seemingly costing 300 dollars minimum, the Southern Grist/Garagiste PB Mead Stout was exactly as ridiculous as it sounds but tasted good for a baby pour, and unfortunately the Wakefield tent was so loving poorly organized that I didn't get to actually try any of the non-VIP Wake beers except a baby pour of More Kicks Than Copelands.

3 Sons event was hilariously mediocre for the amount of hype the breweries there had. I had the most mediocre Monkish IPA of the five or six I've tried, several stouts that were very degrees of middling to completely overhyped (Black Magick remains the most overhyped beer on the planet, even if Grande Negro Voodoo Papi is loving awesome), two incredibly good Pips meads, and exactly 0 beers that made me really excited to try and trade for them. In fact, the Bourbon/Brandy Medianoche I was excited to try and acquire because I love Weldwerks was absolutely offputting, I think possibly showing very early signs of infection. Fortunately, I got my ticket for free.

Daunte Vicknabb fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 8, 2019

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Only one way to find out my dudes. I think I'm gonna try a Ten Fiddy tonight. I've seen them in the wild down here and you guys talk it up alot. I'll be sure to post about how much I hate it on here though. You know, as to adhere to thread rules.

If you speak ill of Ten Fidy I will hack your IP and track you down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Ten Fidy is alright. It's got a lot of body similar to beetus stouts, but it has the bitterness to balance it. It's like a slightly more modern version of Speedway Stout.