Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
speaking of battle suits, was the plot from like, Chapter 4, with the bald headed guy who stole suits and was then attacked by spooky looking dudes ever resolved or was that the joke

e: these guys

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I don't think we've learned much more about The Organization (maybe Metal Knight is involved???) but Hammerhead wasn't kidnapped and was later seen trying to hold down a regular job in a cameo I think.

Oh they also provided those combat suits that were given to the mooks sent in to rescue the kid and they were behind the robot that attacked King in his introduction.

Captain Cappy fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 27, 2019

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I believe that the robot that wanted to fight King was from The Organization and also that robot helping the Monster Association, maybe? But no real payoff yet.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Expect My Mom posted:

speaking of battle suits, was the plot from like, Chapter 4, with the bald headed guy who stole suits and was then attacked by spooky looking dudes ever resolved or was that the joke

I remember him showing up for a couple panels later on. I couldn't tell you the exact details, but it was something to the effect of him working at a job while watching the TV news covering a monster attack. I think.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Maybe it's a future story dealing with Genos backstory and lots and lots of robots

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

AtomikKrab posted:

Zombieman Spin off Comic When?
The side chapter where he gets stabbed in the head in the middle of the night is a hoot.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Captain Quack posted:

It's a manga that exists in-Universe:

Holy poo poo this is awesome! Thanks never noticed this.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see a Zombieman noir story that borrows heavily from Watchman and isn't just gags on gags. Some humor is fine, but gosh darn it, this was so loving good.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just read through the entire manga in a few sittings.

Then I decided to read through this thread. No idea what I was thinking.

In any case:

1. I appreciate the fight scenes

2. Really feels like the comic is trying to make a point about heroism, power and obsession.

3. I know this was partly disproved in numerous examples, but re: point 2, Saitama being part monster (either due to eating monsters or due to extreme determination) would actually make sense.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The core joke of the manga is that Saitama is just that powerful because he is

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xander77 posted:

2. Really feels like the comic is trying to make a point about heroism, power and obsession.
I have absolutely no idea where you'd get this idea, a real reach

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

Genos's initial revenge motivation and the Hero Association, hierachy probably.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

RareAcumen posted:

:thejoke:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Expect My Mom posted:

A bit of a stretch, I know.

But if "it's a gag comic, the source of Saitama's power will never be revealed because it's less funny that way" was true for One's webcomic, I'm not sure it's the case for this version.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

RareAcumen posted:

[gestures at the entire comic]

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Xander77 posted:

A bit of a stretch, I know.

But if "it's a gag comic, the source of Saitama's power will never be revealed because it's less funny that way" was true for One's webcomic, I'm not sure it's the case for this version.

Saitama revealed the source of his power like, really early on.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Xander77 posted:

3. I know this was partly disproved in numerous examples, but re: point 2, Saitama being part monster (either due to eating monsters or due to extreme determination) would actually make sense.

Saitama is not part monster, though he did have a very intense training regime that he adhere’d to 100% after he decided to become a hero and protect people from monsters.
Maybe it makes him a monster in a figurative sense like “man Saitama’s training gave him the strength of a monster (not an actual monster since in this world there are actual monster, more like monster-energy general word use indicating extreme)” or “Saitama is a monster in the gym” etc.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Xander77 posted:

I don't believe you. :colbert:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Yeah I'm really confused by people who think the fiction is "lying" to them or something. Even when something like Saitama's power is explained by the man himself, a lot of people just ignore it and say that just can't be the answer, rather than just believing it until proven otherwise.

In this universe, I can sort of see why someone could get there i guess because people do become Monsters through extreme dedication to something, like Crab Man or the guy who turned into a car, but those are all cases born out of selfishness. But If Saitama's sincere desire to be a hero and save people turned him into a Monster, or if he just got strong by complete accident, then that's just stupid. He's an example of how anyone can be a powerful hero by having constant determination. To think that there must be something else behind would just be dumb, it would make it a weaker story and would probably make me drop it entirely

anyway Xander you should read/watch Mob Psycho if you want to experience a completed ONE work now that you're caught up.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Expect My Mom posted:

Yeah I'm really confused by people who think the fiction is "lying" to them or something. Even when something like Saitama's power is explained by the man himself, a lot of people just ignore it and say that just can't be the answer, rather than just believing it until proven otherwise.

Because immediately after the explanation the fiction says 'no way you're lying.' As a joke.

And people miss that for some reason.

:thejoke:

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I can kind of see the logic.

Man obsessed with crabs turns into powerful crab man.

Man obsessed with hair turns into powerful hair man.

Man obsessed with reptiles turns into a powerful reptile man.

Therefore a man obsessed with becoming powerful turns into a super powerful man.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

I suppose Saitama could be said to be a 'monster' in the sense that he removed his limits through hard training and dedication, but unlike the monsters he kept his humanity and doesn't go around trying to kill everyone.

OTOH Maybe it's not Saitama who's part monster, but the monsters are part Saitama...

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think "how did saitama get this powerful?" and "is it really as simple as saitama said? Is there more to it?" Are questions the comic intentionally wants the reader to be asking. The characters question it and many characters frequently wonder at how saitama got as atrong as he did, there's a bit of an air of mystery/unanswered questions around it

I don't think the comic intends for it to be a major focus of the reader though. In general, "saitama is crazy strong" is just the basic premise of the comic, something the reader is supposed to just accept and internalize for the rest of the comic to build on top of it.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I know this was partly disproved in numerous examples, but re: point 2, Saitama being part monster (either due to eating monsters or due to extreme determination) would actually make sense.

Thanks! I liked coming up with the theory (I am stating my claim here and now) because it's a neat theory that is fun to come up with evidence for. It's like fantasy football, doesn't have any connection to reality, but drat it I will argue for it.

Donkringel fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 8, 2019

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

if you can become a really strong monster through bad obsessions what about becoming a really strong hero by having good obsessions

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I always took it as people becoming monsters due to obsession and heroes through determination.

I mean it's not a literal 1-for-1 thing cause you got artificial monsters, non-human monsters, and natural monsters, but still.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Kild posted:

if you can become a really strong monster through bad obsessions what about becoming a really strong hero by having good obsessions
The only reason that a lot of the heroes aren't monsters is because they're accredited by the hero association.
Also they don't look too weird. like Watchdogman and Pig God are pretty weird, but not like, bug-lizardman weird.

Truly the mark of a hero is good hygiene and skin care. It's what separates man from monster :v:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Monsterification seems to be about obsession from what we've seen so far.

The heroes are just weirdos with superpowers though. And some are just robots or science experiments or child geniuses

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Genos is someone I would call almost a Monster. He completely threw away his humanity to become a brain in a very frail jar because he was obsessed with revenge. He's definitely a hero now, and still cared about innocent people in his introduction, but even he questions where his Lust For Revenge would have taken him if he hadn't met Saitama, who is clearly a parallel for Genos is like, four or five different ways

Kild posted:

this is saitama

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Saitama is a hero because he was obsessed with becoming a hero. That's the reason he wanted to become strong, after all.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Saitama’s not even that obsessed, he’s only a hero as a hobby, and he always shows up late.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
There's literally no difference between heroes and monsters you idiots you fools.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

If we're talking about edge cases, Zombieman is basically the same as Armored Gorilla. Made by the same process, in the same building, by the same mad scientist. Currently, they're both productive members of society.

It's just that Zombieman went and got a job from the hero organization, while Armored Gorilla was causing havoc until he got enough of the crap kicked out of him to decide to quit and work in a soba shop.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been saying the whole "obsession" thing for years and instead people were theorizing that Saitama is strong because he eats monsters. Meanwhile you have a guy who's super strong because he believes wearing tanktops make him strong. It's a really common theme in Japanese media, OPM uses it for the background.

Also to go with the joke, everyone else is overly aware of why they're strong the way they are to different degrees (the monsters in particular know exactly the dumb reason that made them monsters, crab man knows his reason, phoenix man thinks it's all about the costume so when he loses the costume he loses his power. It's all in his head, the costume had no real power). Saitama is dumb as a bell, almost fails on a written test, and doesn't overthink his own power while Genos' entire purpose is theorycrafting why Saitama is strong. Genos lives in a world of logic and reason and thus only grows when the doctor gives him new implants, while Saitama is too dumb to realize that working out the way he did should in no way "break his limiter" or make him strong enough to punch a meteor.

Garou further extends this by being too conscious about being a monster instead of being dumb about it. Metal Bat literally talks about his fighting spirit, the most cliché of all shounen clichés, as a thing that gives him power.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I always took it as people becoming monsters due to obsession and heroes through determination.

Yeah I think that's it. I'd extend on "obsession" and include anxieties as well. Considering ONE writes satires about the social structures in Japan (both in OPM and Mob Psycho) the most clear cut rule I see is that the monsters usually become monsters because of their anxieties and the heroes through belief. Genos doesn't believe Saitama's stupid reason, so he can never be stronger than his body allows. It's also interesting that he's a cyborg, because thinking as a writer, it's a genius move to do that. It can be made ambiguous if becoming stronger is tied to your body or not, but that's also the perfect source of confusion. Think about it - even if Genos were to accept Saitama's premise, he literally cannot work out the way Saitama does. You'd have to be even dumber to do a work out routine being a cyborg and believe it works. Even if he accepted the premise that power is tied to willpower, he's still comically limited by not being able to train under any of the conditions Saitama did. His entire project is doomed from the start.

There's been more than a monster who couldn't get out of his costume, a monster who couldn't get a spider out of his ear. Then there are the obsessions, a monster who ate crab too much, a monster who loved cars too much. The main difference between Darkshine, Tanktop and Saitama is just how much they believe in their routines. Saitama literally states he wanted to be the hero who could one punch monsters he saw on TV.

Even Bill Burr could see how obvious it was that the monsters are a reflection of social obsession and anxieties. "Or you can just get loving high and watch this bald-headed dude loving punch half a crab in the head and watch it explode" which is also equally valid.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 8, 2019

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I have to agree with most everyone, the Child Emperor chapters mostly just felt like a waste of time. The conclusion was good though, as was the joke about the guy with a knife. I think it would have probably been better if I had read it in one sitting as others suggested.

Xander77 posted:

Haha, I did this too. Shame the Twitter links are usually broken by the time I get to them.

Also, gonna also join the recommending Mob Psycho 100 train. It is very excellent.

To the guy who was tired of conmen: I hope you give it another chance some time; Reigen truly is an amazing character. There's better emphasis on him helping people as the series goes on as well.

Also sure are a lot of people in this thread claiming Common Rider isn't dedicated enough of a hero. Smh.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Remember that guy who quit blizzard’s group because Saitama told him to keep training? He’s been training both his body and mind by himself for like six months and he almost defeated Garou already.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's not just his determination that made him strong but the fact that he faced that determination with effort and no slacking. he set goals that pushed him to the point he thought he was going to die and didn't waiver.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a dude who shadow boxed so much he became a shadow boxing monster instead of becoming a swole hero, presumably cause it was all he was obsessed with doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
One of my favorite recurring jokes is the little box saying threat level: tiger next to monsters saying they're threat level god.