Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

brie larson could not look more bored if she tried

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Peanut President posted:

to atone for my sports posting the trailer for Captain Marvel literally looks like an ad for the air force
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCoPycawxUk

I'm wonderin how much of my precious tax dollars the DoD is paying Disney for this garbage

never apologize for sports posting

also these movies are looking worse and more homogeneous with each one

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

barney fife is stupid enough to be a real cop, but there aren't any black people in Mayberry for him to beat and murder so it just never comes up

There was one episode where Barney is complaining that there isn't enough crime in town and how nice it would be if a couple strangers showed up and killed each other

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lord of Pie posted:

There was one episode where Barney is complaining that there isn't enough crime in town and how nice it would be if a couple strangers showed up and killed each other

Haha that’s a classic. “Just wish we’d have a murder. I mean, not anybody we know, of course.”

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

never apologize for sports posting

also these movies are looking worse and more homogeneous with each one
was anyone excited for the Captain Marvel reveal? i know there's a campaign to get girls to watch the movie but it can't be anywhere nearly as successful as the equally cringeworthy Black Panther campaign

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

How the hell do they enforce this? Do they bring out that Rocky IV punch-o-meter to see how many pounds per square inch of pressure somebody put on the QB's body? When was this rule put into place? Right after the second plane hit?

if you're a "mobile" (read: black) quarterback, they don't

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

R. Guyovich posted:

i said shane at the time and still stick by that one as the "ur-western"

Makes me think of Logan, which has a lot of Shane references to the point of clips from it as a character watches it.

The X-Men movies seem like for at least some part a change from the neoliberal/crypto-fascist overtones of a lot of superhero movies, as the superpowered characters are unsubtly coded as a vulnerable minority who face constant oppression and the prospect of murder, enslavement and bodily violation at the whim of the authorities. Deadpool is fairly on the nose about it, as the first movie has a cancer patient, unable to access or afford effective treatment, give himself up to a military-industrial complex that seeks to rob him of his autonomy and turn him into a weapon, while the second movie has a typically hyper-abusive Residential School where minority children are forced to conform by staff with zero oversight and the slightest rebellion is cause for imprisonment.

That said, Magneto is right.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Reminder that Matt Stone and Trey Parker made Saddam Hussein the real villain in the South Park movie, then once he was out of the picture their next movie made Kim Jong-il the new target. In Team America they were even making fun of weapon inspectors for being useless (in loving 2004.)

Not because they are literal tools of the govenment but because they are dumb enough to buy into the propaganda themselves and spread it.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Plank Walker posted:

Just the most obviously rigged sport on Earth, more so than court ball.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Peanut President posted:

to atone for my sports posting the trailer for Captain Marvel literally looks like an ad for the air force
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCoPycawxUk

I'm wonderin how much of my precious tax dollars the DoD is paying Disney for this garbage

i keep getting " slightly better made green lantern" vibes from these trailers. the mcu is completely phoning in their first female-led movie, it owns.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

Reminder that Cam Newton, an NFL MVP and guy that willed his team to the Super Bowl a few years ago, has never, ever gotten a "Roughing the Passer" call as a quarterback, because's he's 6'5" and 245 lbs and black, but also a rushing threat (because black people have to be 10x better than equivalent white people to get the job).

This is not hyperbole. In his 8 year career, he has literally never gotten a "roughing the passer" flag, it's a running joke in the NFL.

Because he's mobile, even though he's built like a brick shithouse, refs have ~*somehow*~ decided that getting clobbered by defenders even while he's in the pocket is his fault and haven't thrown a flag for him in a decade of playing time.

Meanwhile, if you tap Tom Brady (6'4", 225, and just south of "glacial" in terms of mobility) while he still has the ball, it's 15 yards and a first down.

Shrecknet has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Feb 7, 2019

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

lmao, that was pretty bad

glad i don't follow the sport (not that basketball is above highly questionable officiating either)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

funny how the self described progressives of c-spam give up any pretense of caring about worker health and safety as soon as it interferes with their lust for violent physical spectacle

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

get that OUT of my face posted:

i wouldn't say pop music itself is. the recording industry is fascist because of the insane amount of gatekeeping towards what becomes a popular act. and what Spotify is doing to music with its algorithm is downright terrifying

i read this and i'm not really sure what it is that spotify's doing that's supposed to be so terrifying or how getting hosed by spotify would be worse than getting hosed by a record label. does the author work for a label or something

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't really have any commentary for this, but it's kind of fun. I don't think they usually show it with the annual Easter showing of The Ten Commandments on TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8iNvzzak5U

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Jenny Agutter posted:

funny how the self described progressives of c-spam give up any pretense of caring about worker health and safety as soon as it interferes with their lust for violent physical spectacle

football is a force that gives us meaning

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
American sports are bad

Dec 26, 2012

Easy Diff posted:

Reminder that Cam Newton, an NFL MVP and guy that willed his team to the Super Bowl a few years ago, has never, ever gotten a "Roughing the Passer" call as a quarterback, because's he's 6'5" and 245 lbs and black, but also a rushing threat (because black people have to be 10x better than equivalent white people to get the job).

This is not hyperbole. In his 8 year career, he has literally never gotten a "roughing the passer" flag, it's a running joke in the NFL.

Because he's mobile, even though he's built like a brick shithouse, refs have ~*somehow*~ decided that getting clobbered by defenders even while he's in the pocket is his fault and haven't thrown a flag for him in a decade of playing time.

Meanwhile, if you tap Tom Brady (6'4", 225, and just south of "glacial" in terms of mobility) while he still has the ball, it's 15 yards and a first down.

he's gotten a few since 2016 (one in particular i remember because i was watching that game last year). it's definitely true how he gets significantly less than some people

http://www.nflpenalties.com/roughing-the-passer-by-qb.php

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

The 1987 NFL player strike is pretty fascinating to read about

Also forever tainted my view of Doug Flutie because he was a piece of poo poo scab

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

EdithUpwards posted:

i've been saying that the NFL was rigged, believing that the Patriots were a white supremacist team, and generally hating the Patriots before most people got on any of those bandwagons. i am ahead of the curve in sports hate

Kurtofan posted:

American sports are bad
buddy, you're from a country where the best soccer club by a mile is a tendril of the Qatar royal family

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

football is a force that gives us meaning

[standing over the broken mind and body of Jovan Belcher, heart swelling with pride] this is what it's all about

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

EdithUpwards posted:

the NBA is much, much more corrupt. I would probably argue the MLB is worse too. i think only because it's more difficult to straight up rig a football game. You can blow calls and stop momentum but the team they want to win has to do most of the heavy lifting themselves

I think it's more likely that the referees pay more attention to teams in big markets, because blowing a call on the Pats is going to get you much more hosed than if you blow a call on the Browns.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the NBA is rigged too, and there was a ref who admitted it about 15 years ago. the 2002 Western Conference Finals was actively thrown for the Lakers over the Sacramento Kings

the NFL does it for ratings just like the NBA, but they also do it to promote white supremacy because the best players for the Pats are all white. even the receivers

i also fully believe that the Kevin Garnett to the Celtics trade happened in the 2007-08 offseason because David Stern threatened him. just two weeks before it happened, KG said he did not want to play for them. but the 2007 Finals was the lowest rated series in years and the league needed a glamour matchup, and a Lakers/Celtics Final was the perfect one. that was also the first time a superteam ended up working, so yet again Boston ruined everything

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Jenny Agutter posted:

most qb's are white who gaf

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
also for every 1 big hit a QB takes linemen (who are usually black) get 10 times as much cumulatively over the game

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Peanut President posted:

also for every 1 big hit a QB takes linemen (who are usually black) get 10 times as much cumulatively over the game

that does not contradict what I said at all. if the leftists of this forum cared about worker safety they would be calling for the abolition of contact football, not discussing their favorite teams

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
you can be a leftist and like violence. guillotine all quarterbacks.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Animal-Mother posted:

guillotine the owners :eng101:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Jenny Agutter posted:

that does not contradict what I said at all. if the leftists of this forum cared about worker safety they would be calling for the abolition of contact football, not discussing their favorite teams

Show your hog

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I don't know anything about American football so can someone explain to me this "they throw the game because they want white supremacy to look good" thing with some evidence.

Because that sounds delusional.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

this guy propbably watches liveleak videos of Indian construction workers getting crushed by heavy m achinery for fun

Peanut President posted:

guillotine the owners :eng101:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

sitchensis posted:

I don't know anything about American football so can someone explain to me this "they throw the game because they want white supremacy to look good" thing with some evidence.

No, they throw the game because throwing the game makes money. The amount of money that gets tossed around on football alone would make your head spin. Just as an example: ad space during the Superbowl is the most expensive ad space on television, worldwide.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

sitchensis posted:

There are tons of penalties on every play - holding, pass interference, stuff that always happens. Usually the refs will call a few of these early in the game to let the players know how little or how much they're going to get away with. Sometimes you can be extra handsy, sometimes you gotta clean it up a little. It's not really a big deal.

Unless it's enforced two different ways, one way for the Not-Patriots, and one way for the Patriots.

Also, Patriots have a legit generational-level talent at QB, so they can get scruffy white dudes at WR and RB and Brady still makes them look good. So now the racist Southies in Boston get to watch and cheer for white guys. The one time Brady had an actual good WR (Randy Moss, who was black), he shattered almost every record in the book and the team went undefeated that year.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

sitchensis posted:

these guys enjoy watching humans (mostly black) suffering and receiving permanent brain injury but that's not very woke so they complain about the (very real) racism to resolve their cognitive dissonance

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

one of the weirder things i found out when i moved to south korea is that all the sports team are named after the company that owns them rather than the city they play in no one considers this a big deal but then everyone already knows that corporations control everything and theres no concerted effort to pretend like they dont

hilariously because the explicit purpose of the teams is to build corporate goodwill there are also two womens sports leagues for volleyball and basketball and i think the womens volleyball league is more popular than the mens one but dont quote me on that

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Jenny Agutter posted:

these guys enjoy watching humans (mostly black) suffering and receiving permanent brain injury but that's not very woke so they complain about the (very real) racism to resolve their cognitive dissonance

sir this is a macdonald's

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

sitchensis posted:

It's extremely stupid

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'll admit that it's loving stupid, but i believe in it anyway because it's empowering to believe that it's part of a grand conspiracy and not because it plays out legitimately. i guess this is what it's like to believe in qanon poo poo

at the same time, holy poo poo do the Patriots get on the favorable side of penalties a lot

Jenny Agutter posted:

defensive players and offensive linemen are affected by CTE and other brain issues at a much higher rate than QBs. yes, most of them are black, and no, the NFL isn't making rules to protect their safety

football is boring and slow anyway, i'd rather watch the other three major north american sports or soccer. even baseball. speaking of which i ought to dedicate my next post to my favorite team....

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:15 on Feb 9, 2019

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Jenny's making good points. If people were getting injured at the same rate in a factory job or whatever you'd be up in arms to improve worker safety (and rightly so). But when it's a thing you like suddenly it's ok. This is the exact same logic the chuds use.
The propaganda of football is so strong even CSPAM can't resist!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

redsniper posted:

Jenny's making good points. If people were getting injured at the same rate in a factory job or whatever you'd be up in arms to improve worker safety (and rightly so). But when it's a thing you like suddenly it's ok. This is the exact same logic the chuds use.
The propaganda of football is so strong even CSPAM can't resist!
I mean, the difference is they are being paid (underpaid imo, but paid) millions of dollars vs factory workers making $12/hr. And even the most bloodthirsty of us in CSPAM still thinks they should be getting paid more, and get things like better health care and safer rules. But it is a calculated risk - use my skills and physical gifts to lift my family up out of poverty for generations in exchange for 10-20 years off the back end of my life? I dunno if I'd make that trade, but I also haven't ever been as poor as some of these players have.