Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

Harminoff posted:

Came across this BOI like called Metaverse Keeper. Has a free beta available here

https://sparks-games.itch.io/metaverse-keeper

I'm enjoying it a bunch so far.

I tried the demo but unfortunately it just didn't click with me. The ranged weapons felt bad to me; they're weirdly slow and fiddly on top of having low damage, the range is too short for my liking (and one of them, the strangely-named "Satan's Grenades" weapon is bugged to only have 1 attack power when picked up when normally it says it has 14) and I'd rather just be able to stick and move with a melee weapon - which kind of sucks when you start every run with a random weapon. Plus, the default movespeed feels too slow for my taste, and the cooldown on the dodgeroll is way too long. It's just a demo, though, so hopefully some of these issues will be addressed in the full game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Has anything new come out in the domain of open-ended / exploration-centric roguelikes in the vein of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Unreal World, or DF's adventure mode? I've got the urge to play something like that but I've played all of those as much (or as little) as I care to.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I guess it's more a roguelite than like but someone bought me Into the Breach in april of last year and I'd last played it on the 30th of that same month and only for 60 minutes at that. It seemed well made and all but I really was expecting more FTL but with mechs. Started playing it again on a whim like 3 days ago and I've put in 22 hours in that period of time lol.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Into the Breach is really good. A lot of folks (including myself, honestly) found that it didn't have a ton of replayability, but I don't actually count that as much of a negative; it's fine if a game delivers on its core concept and then it's done, especially when the core concept is that good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The trouble with ITB is that most people get maybe 10 hours of gameplay out of it before ditching, which is a poor deal for a $10 game. Especially from the guys who made FTL, there where high expectations. It's not bad, just disappointing.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Serephina posted:

The trouble with ITB is that most people get maybe 10 hours of gameplay out of it before ditching, which is a poor deal for a $10 game. Especially from the guys who made FTL, there where high expectations. It's not bad, just disappointing.

I hard disagree with every single thing you said.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Truspeaker posted:

I hard disagree with every single thing you said.

Yeah, wow.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

10 hours is like twice as long as some poo poo that's sold for 30-60 dollars lasts for

so like. what

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Wait, what examine dialog?

press x and move the highlighter/cursor around

I don't know what it is on the switch

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
As an example, I played, beat, and enjoyed every second of the original Bioshock in around 14 hours, and that game cost me $60.

Even most picky people seem to shoot for an hour of game per $ spent. I don't think I've ever seen someone bitch that you should get 1.5 hours per $... well, before now I guess.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Into the Breach is really good. A lot of folks (including myself, honestly) found that it didn't have a ton of replayability, but I don't actually count that as much of a negative; it's fine if a game delivers on its core concept and then it's done, especially when the core concept is that good.

Yup. I chased the cheevos and once everything was unlocked I was done. But it was an awesome 40ish hours.

It and subnatica are my two "wish I could forget and replay" games.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
I've got 100+ hours put into ITB. I agree that FTL is better but ITB definitely stands on its own. It's not a super hard game, but once you focus on zany challenges (e.g. 4 island runs with 3 grav mechs on hard), you can really squeeze dozens of extra hours out of it. I hope they add an expansion however, there's tons of room for more squads and maybe a fifth island.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Serephina posted:

10 hours is a perfectly acceptable amount of gameplay to get out of a 10 dollar game, and indeed pretty much exactly what I would expect. I played ITB for about 20 hours, which is about how long it took to unlock the various squads and pilots and play around with them, and what I would consider an outstanding amount of enjoyable gameplay to get out of 10 dollars. Now, FTL was also about 10 bucks and I got 80+ hours out of it but FTL is an extreme outlier and saying that something is a poor deal because it doesn't have as good of a cost/playtime ratio as FTL is pretty absurd.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
the time x money spent thing works for those of us who sell their games and don't keep collections.

think about it like this.

for every game you played and loved but there just wasn't enough content to satisfy that itch the game gave you or for every game that felt like it ended too soon for some that is actually a detriment and they don't want to buy a game that they would feel that kind of remorse about.

there's a lot of things non game related that people have purchased and they liked it but wished it had just a little more to make it that must have item they felt/were led to believe it was gonna be

edit: to further expand upon where it came from

RPGs at one point were considered bad if they had the standard game length (5-15 hrs) and even if it was a decent game that lack of content would be held against it. at the same time rpgs that just had you doing annoying/lackluster poo poo to fill time got called on it too. eventually this mindset started to spread to other games.

AkumaHokoru fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 7, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm slowly warming up to Convoy too but while it's clearly FTL influenced it's missing the polish. Oh and I can't keep from trying to control it like an RTS which wouldn't be as big a problem if the controls weren't so unresponsive at times, one of the worst traits a game could have.

Anyone try that Lovecraft game?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I always feel like an outlier when I see people talk about ftl, because I honestly just didn't like it that much. Like it isn't *bad*, and it has interesting replay value in the various ships, but so many things about it just turn me off. The biggest flaw is that if you don't really know the game well it is *incredibly* easy to get yourself into a failed game state but still keep going for quite a while, which makes it quite hard to identify the errors in your play and fix them on your own. The end boss fight is pretty neat, but you're not going to beat it without spoilers without several runs. Some of the challenge ships are neat but most basically require you to have shifted to a more normal setup by halfway through the game. The events are neat but also basically boil down to "only do this event if you have X special option available".

I've put in a good amount of time into the game and definitely gotten my monies worth, but I don't view it that fondly. In contrast ITB was a blast, and while it doesn't have a high replay value I wouldn't hesitate to suggest it to someone who wants a really good puzzle game even at full price.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Neither FTL or ITB had super long legs for me. My take on them is that they're both really tightly designed games that succeed at what they're trying to do but just don't have much....ambition I guess. I think that for me they pretty much define the line where a game becomes too focused on the function over the fantasy. That's HUGELY subjective so it's not a knock on them at all. I just found them fairly solvable and then wasn't really captivated by them enough to keep coming back. Especially in FTL where I felt the balance in terms of strategies that were effective was pretty poor. ITB was better put together on that front but it's kinda...once you win a couple times you've basically seen everything the game has to show you and the actual process of putting the puzzle together wasn't really interesting enough to hold my attention after that.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
ITB is a well designed puzzle and FTL isn't even that. The huge FTL wave was extremely weird to me and still is.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

FTL gets samey pretty fast without the Captain's Edition mod

with it i feel like it has pretty solid replay value though

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ITB is a very good game that I can appreciate how well designed it is, how it's so tight and well executed its singular vision with focus, how all the pieces fit together perfectly without any obvious bad part. But in reality, I only played... 11 hours I think? It's a very focused game, and one consequence of that it's the limited scope. It has a pretty good variety inside that limited scope, but it isn't a game that I will play for dozens and dozens of hours. And the end of the day I just say 'it's a really cool puzzle' but the experience has clear limits.
That said, the reality of why I only played 11 hours is that I wasn't in a rush to play more, because I know at some point I will reinstall when they do some enhanced edition/dlc/expansion and play other 11 more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

User posted:

GURPS explicitly claims you need their permission to realize their rules in a computer game though.
At least in the US this explicitly isn't true. You'd need a license to use their rule descriptions or trademarked terms. (Or use their RPG patents I suppose, if they have any.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Has anything new come out in the domain of open-ended / exploration-centric roguelikes in the vein of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead, Unreal World, or DF's adventure mode? I've got the urge to play something like that but I've played all of those as much (or as little) as I care to.

It's not new (although it is constantly getting updated), but have you played Caves of Qud?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I just remembered Hack, Slash, Loot exists and got really annoyed. God drat, who thought “roll a d20 and punch yourself in the balls if it’s 1-19” was good game design?

Anyway, what brought that about was going to Steam to play some Dredmor- if that’s my favorite roguelike, has anything come about that does what it did lately? I’m kind of sad Gaslamp isn’t around anymore to make a successor.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
play dungeonmans imo

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

play dungeonmans imo

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I just remembered Hack, Slash, Loot exists and got really annoyed. God drat, who thought “roll a d20 and punch yourself in the balls if it’s 1-19” was good game design?

Anyway, what brought that about was going to Steam to play some Dredmor- if that’s my favorite roguelike, has anything come about that does what it did lately? I’m kind of sad Gaslamp isn’t around anymore to make a successor.

If you mean "combat heavy kind of old-school inspired roguelike dungeon crawlings with a modern UI", check out Dungeonmans.

If you mean Dredmor's character creation system specifically, still check out Dungeonmans but prepare to be kind of disappointed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ToxicFrog posted:

If you mean "combat heavy kind of old-school inspired roguelike dungeon crawlings with a modern UI", check out Dungeonmans.

If you mean Dredmor's character creation system specifically, still check out Dungeonmans but prepare to be kind of disappointed.

I’ll check it out. Dredmor kind of got me in all the right spots from gameplay to sense of humor to having one of the few crafting systems i actually like. I’m sure it’s just chasing the dragon but that was the game that got me into roguelikes.

I’m having fun having rebought Tangledeep for Switch, but that has a very different “feel” to it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

It's not new (although it is constantly getting updated), but have you played Caves of Qud?

Tuxedo Catfish has posted some ridiculously super-optimized character builds and found a bunch of exploits, so yes, they have.

Dredmor is basically a by-the-numbers dungeon crawler with really basic enemies, a loving fantastic character build system, tons of items, and a silly sense of humor. Can you pick out which of those particularly resonated with you?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Just a bit.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

When did the formula change from
Fun Levels - Money spent X coolness = Worthatude?

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

I’ll check it out. Dredmor kind of got me in all the right spots from gameplay to sense of humor to having one of the few crafting systems i actually like. I’m sure it’s just chasing the dragon but that was the game that got me into roguelikes.

I’m having fun having rebought Tangledeep for Switch, but that has a very different “feel” to it.

idk if id say i "like" dredmors crafting system or that dredmor is "good" personally but dear god do i wish somebody w a working brain (i.e. not currently me lmao) would make a game that took the character creation while leaving behind the things that dragged it down

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

make mockery posted:

idk if id say i "like" dredmors crafting system or that dredmor is "good" personally but dear god do i wish somebody w a working brain (i.e. not currently me lmao) would make a game that took the character creation while leaving behind the things that dragged it down

Pretty sure I've said this every time Dredmor comes up

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'll just be happy if those loving eyebrows never see the light of day again. I'd rather it was just ASCII (and I detest ASCII) than whatever the hell was up with those things. What a hideous game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Qud Talk! I finally bought it, and have splatted enough Praetorians to get through the Red Rock quest and back alive via the underground river. Also completed the Copper Wire mini quest. The world just opened up and it's scary, since I know I'm just going to splat the second I stick my head in a new area and it seems tempting to do dumb stuff like grind. This is my first open-world RL and I'm not sure I like the feel of it =[

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AttackBacon posted:

I'll just be happy if those loving eyebrows never see the light of day again. I'd rather it was just ASCII (and I detest ASCII) than whatever the hell was up with those things. What a hideous game.

Yeah I would rather deal with the giant eyebrows than ever try to play an ASCII game again. The animations and monster design in that were a big part of making “you died, start over” bearable. And they even made a shitload of jokes about the eyebrows through the game.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Whoa hang on there's rules against slagging off ASCII in this thread

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Acsii is something I haven't used in a decade. Like DF was the last game I played exclusivly acsii.

Modern tiles, especially tight low res ones like Qud has are really just better.

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019

Serephina posted:

Qud Talk! I finally bought it, and have splatted enough Praetorians to get through the Red Rock quest and back alive via the underground river. Also completed the Copper Wire mini quest. The world just opened up and it's scary, since I know I'm just going to splat the second I stick my head in a new area and it seems tempting to do dumb stuff like grind. This is my first open-world RL and I'm not sure I like the feel of it =[

qud is a game to get lost in

if youre playing true kins imo go check out the rusted arch theres something youll like at the bottom

make mockery
Jan 31, 2019
ascii can be boring or good its all about implementation

somebody make a pseudoascii game where the monsters form the shapes of their letters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The eyebrows were OP as gently caress.