Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

I don't think the author of any issekai series set out with the goal of writing pro-imperalism narratives, but it's what they know and you write what you know.

is that what they know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you're right guys, it is hosed up that crunchyroll heavily promoted this show about a young teen going to another world and discovering things about themselves along the way despite the best efforts of a girl who attempted to ingratiate themselves to them only to try and ruin everything for them via accusations of sexual misconduct, this show that paints over japan's imperialist past and ignores its own colonial leanings, that was insanely popular and crunchyroll had a hand in funding and was desperate to push, and that got mainstream attention and respect with no mention of these things

i am of course talking about a place further than the universe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

you're right guys, it is hosed up that crunchyroll heavily promoted this show about a young teen going to another world and discovering things about themselves along the way despite the best efforts of a girl who attempted to ingratiate themselves to them only to try and ruin everything for them via accusations of sexual misconduct, this show that paints over japan's imperialist past and ignores its own colonial leanings, that was insanely popular and crunchyroll had a hand in funding and was desperate to push, and that got mainstream attention and respect with no mention of these things

i am of course talking about a place further than the universe

Anime was a mistake

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Animated Drawings to Revolt Westerners

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
been thinking a bit about the whole worrying about isekai trend this thread is a part of and it occurs to me one of the two major isekai bug bears on this forum, goblin slayer, isn't even an isekai and that the fantasy genre has been full of shallow self insert fantasies and gross misogyny for decades and maybe there isn't really anything notable about isekai

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

well yeah, that whole aspect of goblin slayer is common enough that it's basically a meme in some respects, which is prob a large part of why its there given its origins

e: honestly it'd bug me less if it was just one random gross thing and not just carrying on a trope that random games/shows feel free to make Wacky Jokes about

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 7, 2019

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
In all honesty there’s no further for anim to fall, Gate and Mahouka have already been made, you have to take the bad with the good.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DisDisDis posted:

what do you like about shield hero

i went in to see if the kemonomimi girl was cute and she is. she's half tanuki and a lot of her expressions in the show use this like "oh, her ears are wagging cause she's happy" or "her tail bristles up in a comedic scene where she's mad." the anime's well put together from multiple angles; the direction sells the characters as emotionally resonant, and the guy who previously worked on made in abyss's ost is doing a great job. the writing coming from the source material's the weakest link here but hey, i've watched plenty of kyoani shows, *waits for dis to say 'maidragon'*

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

The author in question is some guy who works for Crunchyroll. Because Crunchyroll is funding this thing and actively promoting it. And their audience is eating it up.

As soon as this show and everything around it stops being fascinating, I'll stop posting about it.

Oh look, here's another thing on Crunchyroll:

It's ok, Namtab forgave you, so you don't have to die.

Ytlaya posted:

I think there's going to frequently be colonialist elements to the whole "Japanese person reincarnated in fantasy setting who ends up an extremely powerful figure who everyone loves (because, at their core, these stories are all wish fulfillment/power fantasy vehicles)" genre. Like, the basic premise of these series requires that the protagonist be praised and loved as a positive transformative element by the native inhabitants of the world in question (because that's a major part of the fantasy it's selling).

All this being said, the Slime series is not bad because of colonialism; it's just extremely boring and makes me sort of vicariously embarrassed because it's like a harem anime, only instead of appealing to "a desire to have girls interested in you" it's appealing to "a desire to have others like and respect you." The picture it paints is even more depressing when you realize that most isekai of this nature have adult protagonists. Like it seems like the goal is to sell a fantasy of being powerful and accomplished to actual adults with depressing work/life circumstances.

There would still be the element of "but this sharing of knowledge was only made possible through the involvement of our civilized protagonist."

Many people want to have the slime as a boss instead of being the slime.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I want to have the slime as a subordinate

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

I want to have the slime as a subordinate

With great power comes great responsibility.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
If anyone watches Gigguk on YouTube he released a video that had this work of art in it

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

SpartanIvy posted:

If anyone watches Gigguk on YouTube he released a video that had this work of art in it

Shield Hero sucks, but so too does this meme. If you're not going to draw lovely edits of the classic virgin/chad poses, what's even the point

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Elephant Parade posted:

Animated Drawings to Revolt Westerners

Angry Dorks Trivialize Raphtalia's Womanhood

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Apparently internet dumbasses are convinced the dub is being delayed because of evil sjw conspiracies.

hosed up if true, imo

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Death to the internet and everyone on it.

It's been an honor posting with yall, but this is for the best.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

drat... We need a hero in these trying times...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

drat.....8 likes......I just can't handle this rotten world....

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I think there's going to frequently be colonialist elements to the whole "Japanese person reincarnated in fantasy setting who ends up an extremely powerful figure who everyone loves (because, at their core, these stories are all wish fulfillment/power fantasy vehicles)" genre. Like, the basic premise of these series requires that the protagonist be praised and loved as a positive transformative element by the native inhabitants of the world in question (because that's a major part of the fantasy it's selling).

So what about konosuba? The MC there instead sells his modern japanese knowledge is it better that he just provides the info and allows a supposedly free market to decide? is that part of the work's parody?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a good quick list of what makes it incel hero, so far this is what I've got

- women are all untrustworthy harlots and the evil princess was based on the author's ex(is there a source for that, seen it claimed a few times in this thread and elsewhere)
- slavery is cool, and slaves love to be slaves because master treats us well!
- harem of literal children
- raphtalia is physically aged up to be sexually developed but, explicitly, still has the mind of a child
- MC gets all his evil tendencies purged from him and becomes pretty normal but the hangers-on turn him back because "he just wasn't the same"(I.E., never change)

what else is there

ah gently caress for a split second I misread that as sonicfox and thought he milkshake ducked but luckily it was the wrong type of canid

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a good quick list of what makes it incel hero, so far this is what I've got

- women are all untrustworthy harlots and the evil princess was based on the author's ex(is there a source for that, seen it claimed a few times in this thread and elsewhere)

lol

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Elfgames posted:

So what about konosuba? The MC there instead sells his modern japanese knowledge is it better that he just provides the info and allows a supposedly free market to decide? is that part of the work's parody?

Well considering there's an exchange going on that implicitly acknowledges that both sides have something of value, they are on somewhat equal footing. It's not the only way to portray that but it's an easy way. Also the people he's selling the information to don't need it, they're getting on just fine without his knowledge, he's not saving them from something. And finally he doesn't dictate how the information he's selling is used, the people he's selling it to are free to use it how they see fit.

Konosuba in general avoids being heroic savioury because Kazuma isn't a heroic saviour. The show is a parody of the wish fulfilment power fantasy so naturally it avoids most of the pitfalls associated with it.

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Feb 8, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Captain Invictus posted:

- slavery is cool, and slaves love to be slaves because master treats us well!
- harem of literal children
- raphtalia is physically aged up to be sexually developed but, explicitly, still has the mind of a child
- MC gets all his evil tendencies purged from him and becomes pretty normal but the hangers-on turn him back because "he just wasn't the same"(I.E., never change)

what else is there

ah gently caress for a split second I misread that as sonicfox and thought he milkshake ducked but luckily it was the wrong type of canid

We don't even know the Author's gender I believe they write under psudonym as their name "Aneko Yusagi" means "Older Sister" and... who knows for the second name. No interviews with them in public. And to clarify, he gets all his negative emotions drawn out and becomes cheerful and not a misanthrope and so they turned him back so he would "Be himself"

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
Quote isn't edit.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Guess what's number 1 on Crunchyroll:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Onmi posted:

We don't even know the Author's gender I believe they write under psudonym as their name "Aneko Yusagi" means "Older Sister" and... who knows for the second name. No interviews with them in public. And to clarify, he gets all his negative emotions drawn out and becomes cheerful and not a misanthrope and so they turned him back so he would "Be himself"
ah, so it was nonsense, figures.

as for the other thing, that is just hilarious

punk rebel ecks posted:

with how rabidly CR is pushing it, it's not surprising. depressing, but not surprising.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Black Clover is there too, so I think people just have bad taste.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dire Lemming posted:

Well considering there's an exchange going on that implicitly acknowledges that both sides have something of value, they are on somewhat equal footing. It's not the only way to portray that but it's an easy way. Also the people he's selling the information to don't need it, they're getting on just fine without his knowledge, he's not saving them from something. And finally he doesn't dictate how the information he's selling is used, the people he's selling it to are free to use it how they see fit.

Konosuba in general avoids being heroic savioury because Kazuma isn't a heroic saviour. The show is a parody of the wish fulfilment power fantasy so naturally it avoids most of the pitfalls associated with it.

A previous guy infected a whole village with Chuunibyo and christened them with joke names.

Onmi posted:

The author is claiming to be genderless.
http://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/172188/blogkey/774887/index.php?p=10

quote:

ちなみに自分称は僕ですが、性別はありません。

quote:

Even though I refer to myself using Boku, I don't have a gender

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

gonna say magically brainwashing the guy to be uwu nice would be the more hosed up outcome here

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

On the topic of isekai, the most disappointing web novel I've read that technically isn't isekai but has a very similar sort of "feel" to it is the series "Sevens." Sevens has a cool gimmick where the protagonist can speak with his seven male ancestors, who are generally pretty cool and interesting, and the dialogue between them is fun. But, unfortunately, it falls into the traps of both quickly making the protagonist overpowered, and having a downright ludicrous harem. Like, we're talking well over 10 people in this loving harem. I want to say that the final size is over 20 girls. Once it got up to #5 or so I just couldn't deal with it anymore.

Elfgames posted:

Well, I said "frequently" so it's obviously not always the case, but Konosuba is also explicitly a comedy where you're not supposed to think the protagonist is a great person, so there isn't the same "the protagonist is a wonderful person uplifting the native inhabitants" angle. I think that the main thing that makes other series have weird colonialist overtones is that "the protagonist is a savior/benevolent figure" is the general theme/tone, which obviously isn't the case with Konosuba. It's also more of an issue in series where the protagonist deals with "monster" races or creates their own nation or whatever. (All of this being said, "arguably being colonialist" is pretty low on the list of reasons I don't like the sorts of isekai series in question; it's more that the constant masturbating over how amazing and benevolent the protagonist is in most of these series makes me roll my eyes.)

Regardless, Konosuba is actually an exception that I do not consider lovely like most other isekai are, largely because it isn't just a transparent wish fulfillment/power fantasy vehicle and it has genuinely good comedy.

punk rebel ecks posted:

hahaha there's a Domestic Girlfriend anime? The manga that's based on is the most hilariously trashy thing ever; everyone involved is a terrible person except for that one blonde girl.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DisDisDis posted:

gonna say magically brainwashing the guy to be uwu nice would be the more hosed up outcome here

So what happens in detail is a thing called a Wrath Dragon absorbs all his rage, and without all of his pent up anger, he becomes flustered by his harem and nicer. So they immediately return him to normal because him being nice and shy is "weird"

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
they're right

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what is the colonialist reading of re:zero

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

DisDisDis posted:

I would brainwash everyone in ADTRW if I had the chance

I am the god of this realm

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

ninjewtsu posted:

what is the colonialist reading of re:zero

It's better about it than Overlord but worse than Digimon.
Consider it somewhere between no Game No Life and Grimgar.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

given what happens later the story isn't exactly anti-brainwashing

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

because him being nice and shy is "weird"

The moral of this particular episode seems to have hit the nail directly on the head.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mordaedil posted:

Black Clover is there too, so I think people just have bad taste.

I don't see JOJO on there, so it seems that you're right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Namtab posted:

Kirby - hero of justice or genocidal cosmic hunger elemental?

In Kirby's very first outing he stopped self-proclaimed King Dedede from hoarding all the food on Pop Star, then redistributed it to all its inhabitants.

Kirby's gluttony is nothing but propaganda.