Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

a mysterious cloak posted:

An IUD with LEDs?

....one per eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
So if you haven't been paying attention to Assetto Corsa lately, you should give Sol (https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sol.24914/) a try. It adds a full 24 hour cycle to the game (with proper sun and moon position depending on date and location of track), several weather settings and an great dynamic color grading that really livens up the picture. Add the shaders light patch (which has come a long way since I tried it last) and you can have proper endurance racing going from night to day. You'll need Content Manager to get the most out of it though, but these things together really transform the game quite a bit. It's really impressive and becoming rather seamlessly integrated (again, provided you use CM). You can add the Wet Mod too, although that is probably always going to be mostly visual with a flat grip reduction, which I'm not that much into.

Here's Jimmy giving it a try: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyxcMCTRIeQ

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I had forgotten dirt rally 2 was coming out soon. Looks like a more faithful sequel than dirt 4 was. Good car list. Locations seem a bit limited with only 6 to start with but maybe they will add more with the season dlc?

The steelcase thing looks cool and I love the cmr 2.0 design but it doesn’t look like you can get the PC version with that in Australia.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Is there going to be native Vive support this time?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

Is there going to be native Vive support this time?

No VR at all right now.

Which moves it to "no purchase" for me

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No VR at all right now.

Which moves it to "no purchase" for me

:same: (sadly)

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
You just reminded me that I have yet to try Dirt Rally with triples. I need to get on that.
VR for me was insta-puke, and I never could get used to it. Triples however, I'm fine with.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't just jump straight into VR. You have to ease in to it

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It depended on the track for me. If it was something mostly flat like Germany or Monte Carlo the VR wasn't too bad, but then I loaded up Wales and within a minute my inner ear started to revolt.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Cojawfee posted:

You can't just jump straight into VR. You have to ease in to it

Oh I understand that. I've actually been trying since May of 2018. Just never could get used to it. I'm way more comfortable with triples now anyway.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Lateral movement was fine for me, but it turns out there are a lot of jumps and dips in rally.

Did they ever explain why they weren’t doing VR for launch? Seems like they had a lot more budget this time so it’s kind of surprising.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Yeah, playing Rally in VR was a little rough for me at first, but I've gotten used to it now. I'll notice a touch of vertigo if I haven't played for a while, but before the first stage is over I'm good. Greece and Wales were the worst for a while, holy crap.

I'll probably grab 2.0 once people have played it a bit. Dirt 4 was a bit of a letdown after Rally.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Anyone here run much Raceroom? I bought the full 'all the cars' pack a while ago and the AI is fun but would be good to get some mp races going sometime.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Vando posted:

Anyone here run much Raceroom? I bought the full 'all the cars' pack a while ago and the AI is fun but would be good to get some mp races going sometime.

R3E goon here, though I didn't do online races for nearly a year. Gonna have to get back to it!!!

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Been getting back into Dirt Rally while I manage my expectations for DR2. (please be good, please be good, please be good) Had a couple nice flicks through one of my favourite corners in wales and the hairpin right after that is often hard to get right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrAeSbeq984

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

:same: (sadly)

Never say never...

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

Never say never...

:allears:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Codezombie posted:

Never say never...

Well until the devs say otherwise, its never

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Well until the devs say otherwise, its never

Well codezombie does work at codemasters...

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

GutBomb posted:

Well codezombie does work at codemasters...

On Dirt Rally 2.0 no less.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

:D

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

I'll open my wallet as soon as it has VR support :) (I can no longer play non-VR simracing games....it's awful.)

But I understand that it's - sadly - not viable from a business standpoint, as it seems.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Yeah, I took the ultrawide monitor off my simpit and put it on my desk because I don't play any flight/driving games without VR anymore. Here's hoping DR2 has VR support!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Same, and I hate screwing around with ReVive. Nudge, nudge.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

To be honest, I'd be fine with some kind of "VR for DR2" kickstarter thingy, or similar.

I understand when companies don't wanna invest in VR because they think they can't make the money back. I'd have no problem with them saying "we need amount X of pre-orders for it, then we'd do it, so here is your chance to pre-order".

If not enough is raised, everybody tried there best, and live goes on. The problem with that, I guess, is that the developer would have to open up about what the VR implementation actually costs in their company/engine. But overall, I'd be fine with such a thing, and I guess most simracing nerds would.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

To be honest, I'd be fine with some kind of "VR for DR2" kickstarter thingy, or similar.

I understand when companies don't wanna invest in VR because they think they can't make the money back. I'd have no problem with them saying "we need amount X of pre-orders for it, then we'd do it, so here is your chance to pre-order".

If not enough is raised, everybody tried there best, and live goes on. The problem with that, I guess, is that the developer would have to open up about what the VR implementation actually costs in their company/engine. But overall, I'd be fine with such a thing, and I guess most simracing nerds would.

A kick-starter was actually discussed among ourselves, as water cooler sort of talk.
I'm not sure into how much detail I can really go about costs, lets just say that adding VR at the moment in its life cycle could be viewed more as marketing spend...
And what gets supported (vive, occulus etc,) is as much about which of the manufacturers is willing to foot some, if not all, of the bill.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

KillHour posted:

Same, and I hate screwing around with ReVive. Nudge, nudge.

Me too.
Plus my DK2 is too long in the tooth now. It sits in in box in my little VR head set museum alongside my old Vuzix gear.
Right now I'm waiting for the market to mature a little before I consider replacing my own personal Vive.

The knuckles are good though. I'm loving mine. :p
(I scored a pair while helping out the developer of "Go For Launch" who's an old friend of mine.)

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

Finally...

Yes Dirt Rally 2.0 will support VR, Its Oculus support because they offered to help cover some of the dev costs.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

BOOM!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Codezombie posted:

Finally...

Yes Dirt Rally 2.0 will support VR, Its Oculus support because they offered to help cover some of the dev costs.

Dooooooooope, back on the "do purchase" list

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Woooooooooooooooo

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

Finally...

:frogon: I'm almost there

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

just bought Dirt Rally 2.0 :hai:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Codezombie posted:

Finally...

Damnit! Guess I'm going to have to pass, which is a shame because rally is my favorite racing. I just can't deal with spending 30 minutes trying to get my Vive to work right. :sigh:

Oculus is pouring money into blocking other vendors from being able to secure games, which I get as a small developer is a huge benefit to you, but it's lovely and anti-consumer.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I've never used revive, but isnt that meant to take care of the problem you're describing? Or is revive just that hard to work with?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've never used revive, but isnt that meant to take care of the problem you're describing? Or is revive just that hard to work with?

Revive is flaky as hell and breaks every update. It just takes forever to get everything set up each time.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Question: what does that mean in regard to VR support in future F1 games? Is it the same engine/would it make VR support easier for future Codemaster games?

btw: Revive works rather fine for me, what exactly breaks for you between updates?

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

tuo posted:

just bought Dirt Rally 2.0 :hai:

If you thought Dirt Rally hated you, wait till you see Argentina, especially in the Porsche...
I call the Porsche "stupid car" because its constantly want to flip its rear end out and go backwards.
One of our test drivers (we have a few rally drivers who come in to check it feels right) said "yup, that's really how that car drives"

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Codezombie posted:

If you thought Dirt Rally hated you, wait till you see Argentina, especially in the Porsche...
I call the Porsche "stupid car" because its constantly want to flip its rear end out and go backwards.
One of our test drivers (we have a few rally drivers who come in to check it feels right) said "yup, that's really how that car drives"

okay, DR2 VR when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KillHour posted:

Oculus is pouring money into blocking other vendors from being able to secure games, which I get as a small developer is a huge benefit to you, but it's lovely and anti-consumer.

I get what you're saying, but on the other hand, Oculus is :retrogames:-ing money to bring VR to a game that wouldnt have had it, so its a good thing for VR in general. Revive sounds like it sucks, but hopefully Vive users will be able to experience the game too.