Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Not A Vet Yet posted:

Hello cat thread. I work at a vets and am after cat owner advice please.

We’re inviting clients to come in for an evening talk, topic to be decided, and obviously want it to be something people would want to come to. It can be on just about anything cat-related but we already did one on basic first aid not long ago so not that.

Ideally it wants to be something with broad appeal. If we make it too specific, like diabetes or hyperthyroidism or whatever, that’s probably only interesting if you’ve got a cat with that.

Please give me suggestions so I Iook good at work.

Nutrition and what to feed/not feed the cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Nutrition and what to feed/not feed the cat?

Yeah thats a good shout, thanks. Might bring out some raw food people and they tend to be pretty 'passionate' so things could become quite lively which would be fun.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well I just learned some things about poor Jellybean ):

Apparently she was an active happy cat that wasn't obese, then she got declawed. And when she started falling off her cat tree because she didn't have her grabbers anymore she started just laying around and getting fat.

Poor Bean. Her previous owners were certainly things.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
My wife uses sections of pool noodles to keep her boots shaped. Well the cat got ahold of one. The result was as expected. Cats will destroy anything and everything within reach.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Not A Vet Yet posted:

We’re inviting clients to come in for an evening talk, topic to be decided, and obviously want it to be something people would want to come to. It can be on just about anything cat-related but we already did one on basic first aid not long ago so not that.

Ideally it wants to be something with broad appeal. If we make it too specific, like diabetes or hyperthyroidism or whatever, that’s probably only interesting if you’ve got a cat with that.

Cat reproduction - how it affects your pets life/behaviour, what neutering/spaying involves and why it's a good thing. Debunk the 'just one litter' BS.
Feline life cycle - how cats change as they age. Milestones to be aware of, concerns in old age, how feed can affect their life expectancy.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

wandler20 posted:

My wife uses sections of pool noodles to keep her boots shaped. Well the cat got ahold of one. The result was as expected. Cats will destroy anything and everything within reach.

ooh now thats an idea. less crappy looking than rolled up magazines.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I got a new boardgame.

The box is approved.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Built my cats a house. It's no box but something for when we're in between boxes.

Beyond Satire
Oct 18, 2014

Not A Vet Yet posted:

Grooming! My floofmonster, pictured below, has to be sedated and shaved. I'm working with all sorts of treats and tools to try and get him more comfortable with being brushed but some general advice, tips and tricks would be really appreciated.

Training / cat behaviour would also be pretty great. Understanding more of what is going on in his tiny kitty mind would be cool.

Edit: why doesnt the pic show up?

Thanks!

Beyond Satire fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 8, 2019

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

My cat doesn't like boxes. :(

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Beyond Satire posted:

Edit: why doesnt the pic show up?

The link is 404. You have to right-click and select Copy Image Location to get the actual image URL. You can't just stick .jpg on the end of the Imgur page URL.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FBS posted:

My cat doesn't like boxes. :(

Only one of ours does. Bean hisses and runs if you pick up a box near her

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

wandler20 posted:

Built my cats a house. It's no box but something for when we're in between boxes.

Saw this in prototype phase and it was decidedly more box-driven and contained more cats. You were warned!

Genuinely curious how much they like it, though, it's nice work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Seminar topics:
Are my cat's teeth bad or is he just a stinko?
Are poop ghosts real?
Chonk or chomk?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Seminar topics:
Something about urinary health. It's specific but lots of folks deal with it. Could be a topic for after you get through most of the non-diagnosis-based ideas.
End of life care.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I wouldn't do one on nutrition unless you want to start a fist fight, especially with new research showing that actually "lovely" grain-including food might be best.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

ILL Machina posted:

Saw this in prototype phase and it was decidedly more box-driven and contained more cats. You were warned!

Genuinely curious how much they like it, though, it's nice work.

I've only had it setup for a couple hours but they seem to enjoy the toy. I'm thinking about adding some carpet\blanket to the middle and top. The top is perfect height for looking outside so making it more comfy might get them up there.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Cats love carpet, to lie on and to scratch, so upholstering it would be a great idea. Though my dumb rear end cats often ignore their cat condos and lie on the cold hardwood floors.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

kw0134 posted:

Cats love carpet, to lie on and to scratch, so upholstering it would be a great idea. Though my dumb rear end cats often ignore their cat condos and lie on the cold hardwood floors.

My fuzzball sometimes uses my carpet as toilet paper to scoot her butt around on. I set a softer mat near the litter box but outside the bathroom with it so she sees it first when the realization of "I have extra poops" sets in.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Boxes you say

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/mQOck8h.mp4

NewAccountUsername
May 5, 2006

Ratzap posted:

Cat reproduction
Feline life cycle - how cats change as they age.

The repro thing we don't get too much bullshit fortunately. Its probably a demographics thing, its quite affluent suburban around here.

I like the age idea. I suspect we are not treating geriatrics all that well / carefully enough in general. Thanks!

Beyond Satire posted:

general advice, tips and tricks would be really appreciated.

Training / cat behaviour would also be pretty great. Understanding more of what is going on in his tiny kitty mind would be cool.

Another good idea. Fortunately I'm not doing the talk as I barely understand my own semi feral psychopath. So I can see how this would be helpful :)

Synthbuttrange posted:

Seminar topics:
Are my cat's teeth bad or is he just a stinko?
Are poop ghosts real?
Chonk or chomk?

1. Both.
2. What?
3. I didn't know what this meant but the Google search was funny.

ILL Machina posted:

Something about urinary health.
End of life care.

Yeah it's the most frustrating thing ever in my job. Nothing makes you look like a shitter vet than trying to explain environmental management for a urinary case to an owner who just wants pills to fix the peeing.

End of life care, like the geriatric thing, great shout.

Organza Quiz posted:

I wouldn't do one on nutrition unless you want to start a fist fight, especially with new research showing that actually "lovely" grain-including food might be best.

Agreed it's a hard topic with strong feelings. I'm not doing the talk though and that could be funny.

This is fantastic.

I wasn't sure about asking the internet about work questions but this went better than expected!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Poop Ghosts.

When my cat poops, she'll run around the house like an idiot at 3000kmh for a few minutes.
Like she either gets freaked out by the smell, or she's weirded out by the sensation of pooping.

So she goes and chases 'poop ghosts' for a bit.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yup. Both my cats will run away at maximum speed after burying their poop. strong evidence of poop ghosts.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Mine peed this morning and unearthed a tiny poop nugget which I must've missed the last time and this triggered her batshit sensors, so maybe they're just trying to get away from the poop in general?

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Nope. It's definitely ghosts. I challenge you to prove they aren't real.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Mine's pretty chill about her poops. She's still weird about them, but in a way that's probably the reason she's chill.

I have two litter trays - a traditional open box (with extra high walls because somebody kept hanging her butt over the edge when she was younger) and a top entry tub (because somebody's butt thwarted the high walls.)

She pees in the open tray and poops in the closed tub.

My theory is that because it's much easier to interrupt a urine stream in case of emergency, pee says I WAS HERE while poop says I WAS VULNERABLE HERE. No cat wants to advertise that.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

My cat has a very pronounced claw on one of her rear paws.

It's always extended and makes tapping noises when she walks.

Should something be done about it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Maybe your cat just likes flipping you off constantly

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You might be better off asking your vet if the cat cannot retract that claw. Its not Just overgrown is it?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

You might be better off asking your vet if the cat cannot retract that claw. Its not Just overgrown is it?

It could very well be. It's pretty "thick" and it does retract but extends like 3 times as long as the other claws.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Looks pretty opaque too. Do you trim them at all? Any idea where the quick is?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Synthbuttrange posted:

Looks pretty opaque too. Do you trim them at all? Any idea where the quick is?

Trim? No never. I don't know anyone that trims their cats claws.

Can't really see the quick either.

Katt fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 8, 2019

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Friends, I have built my two lady cats (both 7ish years old) a skybridge for tomorrow! It leads from their favorite hang spot, the railing/banister of the upstairs landing, over to this cutout area up above the living room space (which I guess is for decorations? but now is for cats!)

The ramp is smooth wood, and it's at an admittedly sorta steep angle (they could make it if they really wanted to, it's not THAT steep). So far, no kitty traffic on the magic kitty sky bridge.

Thinking I should get something grippy they can get their claws into and attach it to the ramp, thinking mb that'll encourage them to use it. But I can't decide what to get! Sand paper? Something rubbery-grippy? Carpet??

Open to all suggestions for how to encourage them to use the bridge, even if not related to what to attach to the top.

I did try putting one of my cats up in the cut out space to see if she'd leave using the ramp, and instead she screamed at me for a few hours until I got the ladder back out and got her down. There's also 2 cheezits just chillin up there that I threw to try to encourage them to use the bridge to eat cheezits.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

black.lion posted:

Friends, I have built my two lady cats (both 7ish years old) a skybridge for tomorrow! It leads from their favorite hang spot, the railing/banister of the upstairs landing, over to this cutout area up above the living room space (which I guess is for decorations? but now is for cats!)

The ramp is smooth wood, and it's at an admittedly sorta steep angle (they could make it if they really wanted to, it's not THAT steep). So far, no kitty traffic on the magic kitty sky bridge.

Thinking I should get something grippy they can get their claws into and attach it to the ramp, thinking mb that'll encourage them to use it. But I can't decide what to get! Sand paper? Something rubbery-grippy? Carpet??

Open to all suggestions for how to encourage them to use the bridge, even if not related to what to attach to the top.

I did try putting one of my cats up in the cut out space to see if she'd leave using the ramp, and instead she screamed at me for a few hours until I got the ladder back out and got her down. There's also 2 cheezits just chillin up there that I threw to try to encourage them to use the bridge to eat cheezits.

Cut up an old shirt and staple it there?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Our local dollar store has these lovely carpet mats that our guys seem to love to lay on and scratch.
We used a bunch of them to line their cat shelf with attatched with zip ties so if they gently caress them up they are easily replaceable.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Thumposaurus posted:

Our local dollar store has these lovely carpet mats that our guys seem to love to lay on and scratch.
We used a bunch of them to line their cat shelf with attatched with zip ties so if they gently caress them up they are easily replaceable.

We have a Daiso nearby that also has these, and as a bonus they have silvervine powder included.

Coincidentally, this is how we discovered that Sweetheart loves silvervine. :v:

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

black.lion posted:

1) carpet

2a) wait six months until you're certain they'll never use it

2b) lead them to it via playing with a fishing rod toy if they're into that

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Katt posted:

Trim? No never. I don't know anyone that trims their cats claws.

Everyone with an older cat should be doing it. Buffy doesn't have much energy these days so her claws grow unchecked. Every 3 to 5 months I have to get someone to hold her while I clip all her claws. If you don't do it there's a danger that the claw grows round full circle and digs into the pad behind it. I've seen some of these on neglected cats and they are nasty wounds - they get infected easily too being on the bottom of the paw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
My boyfriend and I decided to adopt a puppy. We have 3 cats. He’s done research on how to introduce the dog to the cats, but is introducing the cats to the dog any different?
I’m sure it will be fine, but please share stories of introducing your cats and dogs and how they’re best friends now to help calm my nerves 🐱💕🐶

Edit: bonus pic of my loves

Spartacus, Willow, and Lilly (and her toe beans). The boys have historic names thanks to the boyfriend so the pup to be is going to be Napoleon Bone-apart

CeramicPig fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Feb 8, 2019