Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Do the Naval and Marine air units do stupid poo poo like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Platystemon posted:

I love this sword if it belongs to an electronic warfare squadron.

If I'm interpreting the Internet correctly, it's the Global Strike Command Master Sword.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zorak of Michigan posted:

If I'm interpreting the Internet correctly, it's the Global Strike Command Master Sword.

Are the Master Swords like authentication tokens that have to insert into the console to login as command?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
fold this poo poo back into the army until we figure out what's going on

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Still going just from what I found in Google, the honking big Master Swords are the symbols of the Order for their respective commands. The ones actually presented are closer to sane.

Hey Guns, my thought is the the whole thing would go back to being interesting if it was awarded by a committee of randomly selected E7s instead of a cabal of the most senior NCOs.

Edit for example image: https://goo.gl/images/dndZER

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 8, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

The Lone Badger posted:

Are the Master Swords like authentication tokens that have to insert into the console to login as command?

god now I'm just imagining air force bases filled with Resident Evil style puzzles where you have to lug around giant swords and stick them into slots just to use the bathroom.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Acebuckeye13 posted:

god now I'm just imagining air force bases filled with Resident Evil style puzzles where you have to lug around giant swords and stick them into slots just to use the bathroom.

oh so that's what was up with pyramid head

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Acebuckeye13 posted:

they spend so much time doing that nobody taught them how to set up a tent

edit: no--it's Myst

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Airman forgets Common Access Card, returns to find it mounted on the crossguard of a giant anime sword.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
someone posted this in one of the bird threads
pikes

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

LatwPIAT posted:

Sorry, I was being kind of a jerk.

Late to the party, but I just wanted to say I absolutely loved this entire interaction. It would have been so easy to dig your heels in and get angry and shouty, but ya'll just calmly hashed it out like grown-rear end adults and moved on.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Geisladisk posted:

Late to the party, but I just wanted to say I absolutely loved this entire interaction. It would have been so easy to dig your heels in and get angry and shouty, but ya'll just calmly hashed it out like grown-rear end adults and moved on.

Don't give me too much credit here: I'm not being an adult, I'm just frequently overcome with anxiety.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

HEY GUNS posted:

someone posted this in one of the bird threads

pikes

That or a radio owl going to his officer so he can call in an airstrike....

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Love the other owls being all "you seeing this poo poo??" complete with little incredulous headshakes

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Based on my experience of two militaries, the basic training on both sides, and the written fanfic, was always very much emphasizing accurate shots. Blank rounds in MILES gear and less-official live fire shoot usually turned into bullet fests where triggers were pulled like they owed money. It's even what is ordered during them. Nobody wants to write down ''shoot like gently caress''.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017
So apparently this is a thing now :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-XrDUBR6bE

Melodramatic presentation aside, what do you think about the historical parts of it ?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
What you skip Iron Maiden entirely?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

What plane's that supposed to be, a Catalina?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Starfighter had very sharp wings but that was because of gotta go fast not for slice n dice

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The Starfighter was designed to execute ramming attacks on mother earth

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

What you skip Iron Maiden entirely?

If Maiden has published videos on the historical background of their songs, please point me in that direction ASAP.

That aside, Sabaton is one of my favorite bands and the first video they put out was about a battle I never knew much about, so I wanted to see if there was any obvious flaws or slant I should look out for.

Arban fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Feb 8, 2019

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Vahakyla posted:

Based on my experience of two militaries, the basic training on both sides, and the written fanfic, was always very much emphasizing accurate shots. Blank rounds in MILES gear and less-official live fire shoot usually turned into bullet fests where triggers were pulled like they owed money. It's even what is ordered during them. Nobody wants to write down ''shoot like gently caress''.

Interestingly enough, Soviet small arms manuals emphasized the importance of having a certain density of lead moving in the direction of your enemy. There was a long list of what type of target you should fire what kind of burst at, but the general direction was "if you see a thing, fire at it until you no longer see it".

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What plane's that supposed to be, a Catalina?
Yeah, either a PBY-5 or a PBY-5a. It's from War Thunder and that's what they have.

Unless you meant the Zero :P

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FrangibleCover posted:

Yeah, either a PBY-5 or a PBY-5a. It's from War Thunder and that's what they have.

Unless you meant the Zero :P

Oh my memories of that game :allears:

A goon made a twitch recording of a bunch of us goons flying as a team of mustangs against a bunch of komets and reddit got real pissed about us all laughing about stomping them and calling the komet a "mithril-plated autism chariot"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ensign Expendable posted:

Interestingly enough, Soviet small arms manuals emphasized the importance of having a certain density of lead moving in the direction of your enemy. There was a long list of what type of target you should fire what kind of burst at, but the general direction was "if you see a thing, fire at it until you no longer see it".

They must be very confident in their logistics chain...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I’m about to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. Any additional stops you would recommend I visit? I have today and part of tomorrow before flying home.

Edit: I will also accept historical drinking locations.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 8, 2019

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m about to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. Any additional stops you would recommend I visit? I have today and part of tomorrow before flying home.

The Warren Tavern is one of the oldest continuously operating pubs in the US, get drunk at Paul Revere's favorite haunt.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
https://twitter.com/ProPublica/status/1093872077281640448

https://twitter.com/lhwaldron/status/1093903184148512770

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

chitoryu12 posted:

Not a fun day for it. Pouring and chilly here...

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

Arban posted:

That aside, Sabaton is one of my favorite bands and the first video they put out was about a battle I never knew much about, so I wanted to see if there was any obvious flaws or slant I should look out for.

I have no idea where you are from but here in Sweden there is a considerable overlap of not very progressive people who might not like other people (mostly brown) and Sabaton fans.

Which probably, no matter if your band is cool and good, is a direct consequence of putting out songs like Panzer Battallion.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Arban posted:

If Maiden has published videos on the historical background of their songs, please point me in that direction ASAP.

Just off the top of my head, Iron Maiden has done songs on the Battle of Britain, the Crimean War, Alexander the Great, Paschendale, the Siege of Montségur, and others.

And their lead singer fences, drives tanks, and flies old biplanes. I think it's safe to say they're history nerds.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Don Gato posted:

Oh that one. I thought you meant a different one I could have and wear in uniform, now I'm disappointed.

Also that one isn't even the biggest one I've seen in real life, Ill see if I can get a picture of the PACAF HQ sword tomorrow, it's a masterpiece in "whyyyyyyyyy". I used to walk by it every day when I worked over there.

If you don't think you can use that on a day-to-day basis, you're not living the right way.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Do the Naval and Marine air units do stupid poo poo like this?
Not an air unit but

PARRIS ISLAND, S.C. - Sgt. Maj. William Carter, the sergeant major of Marine Corps Recruit Depot Parris Island, uses a World War II – era M2 flame thrower to burn last season’s Christmas trees at Elliot’s Beach Feb. 1, 2019. The fire department sponsors the annual event at the depot.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Cessna posted:

Just off the top of my head, Iron Maiden has done songs on the Battle of Britain, the Crimean War, Alexander the Great, Paschendale, the Siege of Montségur, and others.

And their lead singer fences, drives tanks, and flies old biplanes. I think it's safe to say they're history nerds.

Also D-Day (Plus a few other WWII related ones), the first Gulf War, at least one or two on the Falklands, at least two on others on various forms of air combat, and a litany of other stuff.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

chitoryu12 posted:

It’s at the other end from the downtown stuff and across a bridge but do yourself a favor and go see then USS Constitution.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I have no idea where you are from but here in Sweden there is a considerable overlap of not very progressive people who might not like other people (mostly brown) and Sabaton fans.

Which probably, no matter if your band is cool and good, is a direct consequence of putting out songs like Panzer Battallion.

They have a similar rep in the US. Maybe the dudes are fine but most of the people I’ve run into who liked them enough for me to be aware of it were a bit too into the military prowess of the totally-not-genocidal Wehrmacht.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

The Lone Badger posted:

I vaguely recall a myth about some kind of plane having sharpened wings so it could cut off the enemy's wings with its wings. That's the sort of sword the AF should have.

You're thinking of a rare modification for the... Bf-109 (I think the Fw-190 might've also had it) where they lightened the plane of any weapons and instruments they didn't need and reinforced the wings and nose. Or maybe the Rammjager?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

They have a similar rep in the US. Maybe the dudes are fine but most of the people I’ve run into who liked them enough for me to be aware of it were a bit too into the military prowess of the totally-not-genocidal Wehrmacht.
I've never heard a bad word about the band members, but their epic song about Larry Thorne the SS Green Beret sure is kind of awkward in today's climate.

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

InAndOutBrennan posted:

I'm assuming those people just pretend songs like Rise of evil, Final solution and Wermacht dont exist ?
I'm not really paying that much attention to the metal scene these days, but last I looked there wheren't significantly more of those people among the Sabaton fanbase than other metal bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Oh yeah! A few weeks ago someone I knew asked me for advice on how to design uniforms for fascists in a sci-fi setting, and the only reason I could answer was because of your Wehrmacht uniform effortposts. Thanks!

Any time, I'm always happy to talk about crappy uniforms made for bad people.