Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think I've figured out that my posting brand is "what if hbomberguy's 80-minute Dark Souls 2 defense video gained sentience and then someone bought it an account for some reason"

Anything you think that implies about my opinions is correct, by the way. Especially the things that contradict each other, those are especially correct.

fake edit: jesus christ this is the worst page snipe of my entire posting career

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rarity posted:

Oh man, THAT'S how the Half-Life series ends? I figured it would be 'the world is doomed' but somehow this is so much worse. Goddam :smith:

So Half-Life 3 is going to be announced soon, right?

lol

Laidlaw leaked what the story would likely be, with different characters' named but it's easy to substitute:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/25/16202006/half-life-2-episode-3-plot-mark-laidlaw-valve

Turns out you're not winning against that trans-dimensional empire with just a crowbar after all

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Jay Rust posted:

Video game discussion is weirdly attached to the business decisions of multinational corporations

I've found myself several times reading the earnings and reports of developing companies to see what games they plan on focusing next :(

Rarity posted:

Oh man, THAT'S how the Half-Life series ends? I figured it would be 'the world is doomed' but somehow this is so much worse. Goddam :smith:

Just gonna say this quest you went through was adorable, it reminded me of simpler days.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Rarity posted:

keep bringing it up and Gabe is gonna push it 3 more years back. :v:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

I've found myself several times reading the earnings and reports of developing companies to see what games they plan on focusing next :(

why

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Help Im Alive posted:

Which video game stocks do I pour my entire life savings into

Soy! Soy! Soy!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

In Training posted:

Why do people care about video game stocks unless you're a stock broker
brain damage

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My brother bought 100 shares in Nintendo because he believes in the Switch

Unfortunately he started believing in the Switch at ~$36/share

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i like to keep an eye on how much money there is and where it's coming and going from for studios i like because it'll let me know if they're going to eat poo poo and die and never make games again or be super successful and continue making games but i don't think day to day stock fluctuations are a good metric for that

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Harrow posted:

I think I've figured out that my posting brand is "what if hbomberguy's 80-minute Dark Souls 2 defense video gained sentience and then someone bought it an account for some reason"

Anything you think that implies about my opinions is correct, by the way. Especially the things that contradict each other, those are especially correct.

fake edit: jesus christ this is the worst page snipe of my entire posting career

dark souls 2 is the best one, you have my caestus

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Anthem is going to raise EA stocks even higher!! :D

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i should probably mention the only hbomber video I've watched is the one where he drags the showrunner of sherlock and dr who

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Samuringa posted:

Just gonna say this quest you went through was adorable, it reminded me of simpler days.

I'm glad you got a kick out of it :)

And now that I'm done with the Half-Life 2 story I get to kick on to Portal :woop:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Looper posted:

i should probably mention the only hbomber video I've watched is the one where he drags the showrunner of sherlock and dr who

That's the best one really

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Jay Rust posted:

Anthem is going to raise EA stocks even higher!! :D

fore sure

TheAgent posted:

thread chat

Anthem is DOA. it's already failed to hit internal pre order goals and unless the cosmetic sales are gangbusters going into q3 there won't be any new content planned for 2020 (they have internal stuff to release until q2 2020 that has already been produced). they need to put another $35m into it over the next year just to maintain their negative income, so I doubt we will see a turn around like the AC series, Rainbow 6, Division or Destiny

it could happen but I highly doubt it. Don't buy that loving game expecting years of post release content. WYSIWYG

also lol at "it's an early build, the dev build is way better" the same excuse used for every bad game forever

goddamn idiots are so easy to con

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

is there a reason that we shouldn't append a [citation needed] to the end of that

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
no.

though agent gets industry news early and correct often.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's enjoyable to believe it because immense financial failure will put EA on a road that benefits me, somehow

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's enjoyable to believe it because massive corporations going down in flames gives me vindictive pleasure

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
RIP EA, Worst Company in America 2012-2013

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
ea isn't even close to being the worst company in the us

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

Why do care about video game stocks unless you're a stock broker

Number go up, my corporate tastes are validated

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Looper posted:

they are still bad (just like every corporation) so them failing at something is still be funny

Andrast fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 8, 2019

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Rarity posted:

I'm glad you got a kick out of it :)

And now that I'm done with the Half-Life 2 story I get to kick on to Portal :woop:

This makes me tremendously excited in every way because Portal 2 is my #1 game of all time :D

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Andrast posted:

they are still bad (just like every corporation) so them failing at something is still funny

i can't argue with this

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

lol

Laidlaw leaked what the story would likely be, with different characters' named but it's easy to substitute:

https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/25/16202006/half-life-2-episode-3-plot-mark-laidlaw-valve

Turns out you're not winning against that trans-dimensional empire with just a crowbar after all

I got the sense reading it that while they didn't significantly damage the combine as a whole, they kept them off of Earth for a while at least.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Truga posted:

no.

though agent gets industry news early and correct often.

Let's also note that EA has publicly said that they, to quote last week's earnings call, "model Anthem units in the 5 to 6 million unit range" for the quarter. They have blatantly unrealistic expectations for Anthem's performance and it's clear it's being set up to fail.

They also say they have "modest expectations for . . . Anthem live services," whatever that means, but those initial units sold figures are absolutely loving bonkers. It's especially nuts when you consider that many people are going to play Anthem on launch by signing up for Origin Access Premier, paying $15 for a month of the game rather than $60+ for the game itself.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Would it have been smarter to make Anthem free to play

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

Would it have been smarter to make Anthem free to play

Possibly, though it would probably have loot boxes and pay-for-power MTX if it was. As it is, Anthem is not free to play, but (for now) has no loot boxes and only plans to sell skins, emotes, and stuff like that. They also plan on all the content/story updates being free instead of being paid DLC, so... yeah, good luck with that.

I really want the game to succeed because I think the core game is a lot of fun, but it has absolutely everything else working against it, including its own release schedule.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

if people keep getting fooled by Destiny's bullshit they absolutely will buy Anthem, it's not unrealistic for the game to sell lots

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Looper posted:

yeah but GAMERS have both a very insular view of the world and the entitlement to make their preferences known on the internet

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In other news
https://twitter.com/karenyhan/status/1093900515841396737

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

5 to 6 million copies sold seems to have become the industry's standard expectation for most triple A game releases for some reason

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

if people keep getting fooled by Destiny's bullshit they absolutely will buy Anthem, it's not unrealistic for the game to sell lots

One difference is that Anthem has a ton of anti-hype working against it. Public reaction to the demo weekends was really negative and was immediately followed by people assuming, based on a screen shot with no actual dollar prices on it anywhere, that Anthem was going to charge $20 for each cosmetic MTX skin.

I mean, they still might--I'm pretty sure Guild Wars 2 has mount skins they've charged $20 for--but it wasn't a good look right after such a rocky demo.

The Division was a total disaster at launch but there was enough hype going into it that it was Ubisoft's best-selling new IP to date (kinda like Watch_Dogs, actually), and so Ubisoft reinvested in it, improved it, and turned it around quite a bit. Anthem is launching in a state where it's definitely going to need similar treatment, but I'm not convinced EA is going to see the initial sales figures or engagement to convince them it's worth the chance.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I read that in his voice

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

DLC Inc posted:

it will sell lots but with ea's stupid budget assumptions it needs to sell more copies than is probably actually possible

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

5 to 6 million copies sold seems to have become the industry's standard expectation for most triple A game releases for some reason

As costs go up the number of copies sold in order to make a profit increases as well.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It needs to generate more revenue than closing or selling bioware would cut costs.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

As costs go up the number of copies sold in order to make a profit increases as well.

If by costs going up you mean the need to have record breaking profits every year, sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

This is not an attack or snide remark in any way, but I never understood the humour in this strip. Is it based on characters that are built up over time or something? On their own they never feel like they are inherently humourous