Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I guess Jim Bob Cooter is the Jets new RB coach. When I think of coaches successful at developing RBs I think Detroit Lions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
What a fall from grace that guy had.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
He deserved it for not changing a single audible from the previous season and getting his offense exposed so drat hard.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Diva Cupcake posted:

I guess Jim Bob Cooter is the Jets new RB coach. When I think of coaches successful at developing RBs I think Detroit Lions.

Kerryon had a good rookie season

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

A guy named Jim Bob Cooter will never be a top tier anything in the NFL.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

a patagonian cavy posted:

Kerryon had a good rookie season

After Cooter got fired lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

colachute posted:

I don't know that there's any limit to how high a dipshit white person can rise in an NFL front office, though.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It's almost as if dumping all your money into your QB makes it difficult to put together a decent roster.

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1093949434537205760

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We really gonna lump Jimmy G in that

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

In the Packers case, it was more poor drafting for years combined with picking fairly late in each round led to a pretty barren roster outside the QB and OL.

The Falcons had a hilarious number of defensive injuries early in the season that basically killed their ability to compete.

The Vikings put together the worst oline imaginable. Which is impressive considering the resources they dumped into it, but that dogshit killed them.

Jimmy G was injured and the 49ers were gonna be bad even if he did play because that roster was barren.

and then the Lions Lionsed.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've honestly been skeptical of that argument for a couple years* now.

Here, say the Packers pay Rodgers 20M/year instead of 33.5M. Who do you pay in free agency 2018 that puts the Packers over the edge and makes them a Super Bowl contributor? Remember that they spent 10 million dollars on Jimmy Graham. Are the Packers really one extra Jimmy Graham away from a Super Bowl, and they would be there if only Rodgers took a 33% pay cut?

It seems to me more that teams succeeding with quarterbacks on rookie deals are benefiting from hitting really well on a couple drafts in a row, of which the QB is one of the hits. It's like how Seattle had several all-world drafts right before picking up Russell Wilson -- and coincidentally, once they started having to figure out who to keep and who to let go the Hawks began to decline. I'm not totally convinced that they avoid that decline if only Wilson could've taken 8M less or something like that.

edit: *: in retrospect, the Packers looking completely terrible when Rodgers went down, and realizing that having 1 extra $10M player or 2 extra $5M players wouldn't have made any difference, is what drove the nail home for me.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 8, 2019

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Kalli posted:

The Vikings put together the worst oline imaginable. Which is impressive considering the resources they dumped into it, but that dogshit killed them.

Jimmy G was injured and the 49ers were gonna be bad even if he did play because that roster was barren.

In fairness the Vikings' line was probably gonna suck this year regardless, due to Sporano suddenly passing away right before training camp started.

Also, don't the 49ers have tons and tons of cap space still? I don't think Jimmy's contract really impedes them from being able to build a roster; it mostly just looks like they've struck out on some recent drafts and the team is talent poor from it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I think depth is a big issue here. You can't afford to keep your ok but playable players and are forced to fill out the roster with low round picks or UDFAs.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Kalli posted:

In the Packers case, it was more poor drafting for years combined with picking fairly late in each round led to a pretty barren roster outside the QB and OL.

This is what worry's me about the Browns. We straight up just hired that entire FO to work under Dorsey.

Durandal1707 posted:

In fairness the Vikings' line was probably gonna suck this year regardless, due to Sporano suddenly passing away right before training camp started.

Also, don't the 49ers have tons and tons of cap space still? I don't think Jimmy's contract really impedes them from being able to build a roster; it mostly just looks like they've struck out on some recent drafts and the team is talent poor from it.

Something like 50mil in cap. Not a ton but respectable enough with a lot of old overpaid guys that could be shed for space.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The Jimmy G contract didnt hamstring the Niners at all. They have a bunch of cap space because the roster is mostly poop from a butt on rookie or cheap deals and their big FA acquisition tore his ACL on the last play of the last practice of preseason.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ches Neckbeard posted:

This is what worry's me about the Browns. We straight up just hired that entire FO to work under Dorsey.

Ted isn't in charge, though, which is key IMO. The '10s Packers FO was extremely well-regarded around the league, it's why a lot of them went on to become GMs elsewhere (as you know with Dorsey). The last few years of Ted's tenure, though, it became more and more clear that he was refusing to (or incapable of) change to keep up with the new NFL -- it's why he got "retired" back to scouting instead of being in charge of drafting.

The Browns' first draft under Dorsey has looked fantastic so far.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/1093958133117009921

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Imagine if the Jets were eligible for Hard Knocks.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

The Falcons had a hilarious number of defensive injuries early in the season that basically killed their ability to compete.

and then the Lions Lionsed.

Also disingenuous because the new contract Ryan signed actually lowered his cap hit in 2018.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

wandler20 posted:

It's almost as if dumping all your money into your QB makes it difficult to put together a decent roster.

https://twitter.com/NFLResearch/status/1093949434537205760

This is some dumb poo poo.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"average annual value" is a meaningless statistic w/r/t nfl contracts and what should be getting looked at is cap hit in this year

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

evilweasel posted:

"average annual value" is a meaningless statistic w/r/t nfl contracts and what should be getting looked at is cap hit in this year

https://twitter.com/ViennaFalcons/status/1093850815725481984

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

The Jets are god drat incredible

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I honestly don't think there's animosity there otherwise Greggg wouldn't have hired him. Payton, Williams, and Vitt were all suspended for the bounties. Both Williams and Vitt ran the program IIRC and none of them saw anything wrong with it.

The actual whistleblower who was fired by the Saints now works for the NFL lol.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that Superbowl was so boring and forgettable that I was talking about the Eagles with a coworker and genuinely forgot they weren't still champions

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Belichickinasuit.webm

https://twitter.com/NFL_DovKleiman/status/1093994532725772288

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

colachute posted:

It’ll always be a top tier name though.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Jim Bob Cooter makes Nascar drivers names sound lame.

That is the essence of awesome.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Jim Bob Cooter is the name of the guy that helps keep my '69 Charger working while I evade law enforcement in Hazzard County.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Colostomy Bag posted:

Jim Bob Cooter makes Nascar drivers names sound lame.

That is the essence of awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9fB1IcTD48

Android Apocalypse posted:

Jim Bob Cooter is the name of the guy that helps keep my '69 Charger working while I evade law enforcement in Hazzard County.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Former Detroit Tiger Rusty Kuntz would like to have a word with everybody.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

What now we have to throw Dick Trickle's name into the fish bowl?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i forgot roethlisberger won a super bowl with a 22.6 rating. guess getting an assist from the refs helps.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i forgot roethlisberger won a super bowl with a 22.6 rating. guess getting an assist from the refs helps.

He wasn’t even the best passer for the Steelers that day.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, how does it feel to know Tom just won one like that? That's rhetorical btw

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fire Safety Doug posted:

Not sports, but Dick Bong is still the greatest name ever.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1094049124498821120

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Great league we got here.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

This reminds me of the fictional character mock draft where there was a very long argument about whether Lebron counts as a fictional character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Yeah, how does it feel to know Tom just won one like that? That's rhetorical btw

how can it be rhetorical it didn't happen...