Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

oh, I almost forgot this classic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I had forgotten it, you jerk

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

For funsies, here's the first black character in Dennis the Menace. Published in 1970

For comparison, here's the oldest Wee Pals strip I could find, from 1965

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Branco really is the absolute king of poo poo mountain. He has the trifecta of terrible art (he literally couldn't draw a straight rope in that monument cartoon), dogshit opinions and maybe the worst case of wormbrains of the whole rotten lot. This is the guy who depicted "climate change is fine" by showing someone frozen solid and "Russian interference doesn't exist" by drawing Putin with his hand in a cookie jar.

Like I can still muster anger at Ramirez, but Branco is so consistently the absolute bottom of the barrel in every conceivable way that all his cartoons ever produce in me is a growing sense of pity.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Branco really is the absolute king of poo poo mountain. He has the trifecta of terrible art (he literally couldn't draw a straight rope in that monument cartoon), dogshit opinions and maybe the worst case of wormbrains of the whole rotten lot. This is the guy who depicted "climate change is fine" by showing someone frozen solid and "Russian interference doesn't exist" by drawing Putin with his hand in a cookie jar.

Like I can still muster anger at Ramirez, but Branco is so consistently the absolute bottom of the barrel in every conceivable way that all his cartoons ever produce in me is a growing sense of pity.

the worst part is branco's terrible art is deliberate. he's a fairly talented technical artist outside his cartoons.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

fool_of_sound posted:

the worst part is branco's terrible art is deliberate. he's a fairly talented technical artist outside his cartoons.

No, he's not. He's mildly better.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Gaybies Nomination: Worst Gaslighting Cartoon

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

fool_of_sound posted:

This has been mentioned a lot, but no. He's really not. He has that thin varnish that can pass as skill at first glance (what's usually called "polishing the turd"), but he over-renders, has no concept of anatomy, shading, color balance, composition, or anything at all. If you saw an oil painting of his that appeared decent, it's because it was referenced from a photography or a different, better illustrator. Poorly, at that. Have a look at his self portrait and ask yourself how the hell his jaw is supposed to work.

hey branco: learn how to loving draw lmao

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Mikl posted:

This is both extremely dumb and makes perfect sense at the same time.
captainplanet.txt

That episode's not even in the top 10 of weird poo poo that happened in that show, either.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ziv Zulander posted:

For funsies, here's the first black character in Dennis the Menace. Published in 1970

Surely that must be a typo and you mean 1770.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Pretty sure that Hitler is making Captain Planet nut and they just can't tell the kids that. Come on, look at his face and how he cringes, he's got it bad for Hitler.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

Would Rall be a better or worse President than Trump?

All of Trumps 'presidents can do literally anything they want, right?' flailings but targeted at stuff like the drone program instead of immigrants.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The status quo is literally a death sentence for marginalized groups like women and minorities and queer people, but

If you don't vote to uphold it you are a misogynist

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Another cartoon got posted in C-SPAM before this thread for some reason

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

a good cartoon

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

D.N. Nation posted:

Nice try, rear end in a top hat.

uh he's definitely a mac user

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"Durr durr durr it's stupid to change Zed Mall's name, there's no WAY he's googling himself durr durr durr."

Who's stupid and childish NOW poopy jerks?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Lightning Knight posted:

I know this is like an actual point of debate among leftists to what degree troops are personally bad and responsible for their badness and whatever but I’m still loling at him calling customer service workers “the real heroes.” Buddy I work at a hotel front desk and deal with assholes for most of my job and there’s nothing heroic about it, it sucks rear end. Rall is probably one of those clueless white people who think that because I have to be nice to him, means I like him.

In Rall's mind it's a conscious rational choice - either you pick military service, or you choose to become a Walmart greeter or a hobo or whatever. Rall should know better, he went to study applied physics and nuclear engineering, but instead became a cartoonist. The career choices of young people are not simple and one-dimensional.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

InsertPotPun posted:

"Durr durr durr it's stupid to change Zed Mall's name, there's no WAY he's googling himself durr durr durr."

My argument was "who gives a poo poo if he's googling himself" actually

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

This is like when you prove to a conservative that poverty causes crime and they go "well then we need to poo poo on them even more until they stop choosing to do crimes!"

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

InsertPotPun posted:

?????

the reason people here do that is because he got pissy about somebody getting his name wrong once

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ziv Zulander posted:

?????

the reason people here do that is because he got pissy about somebody getting his name wrong once

I don't think we even saw evidence that he actually got pissy about it, the entire joke is "lol I bet he got pissy about that"

I think it was just feedback on a commission he did for someone that ended with "Great job, Todd!"

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

Varvel off to a strong early lead in Most Hateful AOC Caricature.

Thanks for labeling that podium, Henry.

First Local Hero on the Moon

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sandpuppy posted:

Varvel off to a strong early lead in Most Hateful AOC Caricature.

:stonk:

quote:

it, uh, might not be the greatest timing to have a cartoon of AOC and Nancy Pelosi as best friends 4eva

quote:

Thanks for labeling that podium, Henry.

He does this same loving bullshit cartoon every time a Republican does a State of the Union

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

You know that Branco is the kind of racist moron that totally buys into the Lost Cause of the Confederacy. "suretheyownedslaves BUT the Yankees were so mean to them, they were just trying to protect their traditions and culture!"

Some loving Lost Cause believer if they don't fire off of the era retorts like "WELL THE NORTH PRACTICES WAGE SLAVERY. THEY ARE BOUND BY A TERRIBLE MASTER CALLED NEED, THAT COMPELS THEM TO SEEK EMPLOYMENT WHERE-EVER IT COULD POSSIBLY ROAM, AND WALLOW IN 'PRODUCTIVE" MISERY FOR A FEW MEASLY DOLLARS AN HOUR. IS THIS FREEDOM?!"

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Jesus, you people have thin skin.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

Jesus, you people have thin skin.

who's garbage rereg are you

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
That's one of the best Super-Fun-Paks in a while.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

loquacius posted:

I don't think we even saw evidence that he actually got pissy about it, the entire joke is "lol I bet he got pissy about that"

I think it was just feedback on a commission he did for someone that ended with "Great job, Todd!"

I thought it was from when some Australian cartoonist did a cartoon about Obama which featured the Hello Kitty logo, and Todd sent him a massive old Cease and Desist for trying to steal the well-known Ted Rall imagery of portraying Obama as the Hello Kitty president, to which he got the response, in its entirety "Who the gently caress is Ted Rall?"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I thought it was from when some Australian cartoonist did a cartoon about Obama which featured the Hello Kitty logo, and Todd sent him a massive old Cease and Desist for trying to steal the well-known Ted Rall imagery of portraying Obama as the Hello Kitty president, to which he got the response, in its entirety "Who the gently caress is Ted Rall?"

This happened and was funny but doesn't really relate to getting his name wrong; that was started by the other thing

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Do you think he added "National" to that "Election Fraud" label because literally the only recent examples of election fraud came from Republicans in 2018 in state/district races?

Because I think that's why he did that.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's one of the best Super-Fun-Paks in a while.
That "Prayers Answered" comic actually clears up a lot of confusion: now I'm picturing God getting constantly tackled by other Gods whenever He tries to help. God getting two words out before Cancer God suplexes him from behind.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Do you think he added "National" to that "Election Fraud" label because literally the only recent examples of election fraud came from Republicans in 2018 in state/district races?

Because I think that's why he did that.

He's probably still 100% convinced without need for any evidence that Democrats' success in high turnout races is the result of them casting fake votes from dead people, because Republicans have been 100% convinced without need for any evidence that this has been happening everywhere constantly for the last 30 years or so

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

loquacius posted:

He's probably still 100% convinced without need for any evidence that Democrats' success in high turnout races is the result of them casting fake votes from dead people, because Republicans have been 100% convinced without need for any evidence that this has been happening everywhere constantly for the last 30 years or so

The Chicago Machine existed thirty years ago, therefor all Democrats are crooks. Also the party of Lincoln couldn't possibly be the party of racists.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah the dumb "democrat party" label is tied to some tired poo poo, you should probably stop using it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

InsertPotPun posted:

That "Prayers Answered" comic actually clears up a lot of confusion: now I'm picturing God getting constantly tackled by other Gods whenever He tries to help. God getting two words out before Cancer God suplexes him from behind.

It reminded me of this SMBC which is dumb but I enjoy:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The 'dude being attacked by an animal calls out to god, animal calls out to animal god' joke is pretty old and well trod but drat if I don't always laugh at it.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I like the unintended message in all the black face cartoons recently. They all have Dems trying to throw people in the trash and disassociate with them because of their lovely judgment.

Whereas Republicans will just double down and defend the person no matter what. (Moore, Kavanaugh, etc.)

Oops!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
2024 read-along: Let's start strong, shall we?

So, 2024 is a book with some problems, and they start early. Like, title page early. This thread's already made fun of Rall's abysmal title pages for his books in past iterations, but it's been the case since 2001, when this came out- Rall's inability to draw a good title page can legally drink and gently caress in some states. It's important to keep this in mind over the course of this read-along: this came out in May of 2001, four months before September 11th and the hellscape it, and the reaction to it, threw us into. Just off the bat we've got Rall's ~style~ giving all the characters weird proportions with tiny short arms and horrifically bulgy elbows, indescribably bad perspective on the distant buildings and people, and- and I'm gonna keep coming back to this- a clear lack of any attempt at drafting the image before committing to it. It's pretty clear, throughout this book, that Rall basically drew the whole thing with one marker in one attempt and didn't redraw a single thing. This title page has zero actual focus and so the focus becomes the bleary ~*alt comix*~ style itself, and... look at it. This is what we're getting into. This is how it starts.

Also the kerning's hosed up on that supertitle. I don't think this had an actual editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does that poster say “We know you want it”?