Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Iron Crowned posted:

Kit Fisto had a better name

you know, I really can't argue with that, he sure does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Kit Fisto's smile while murdering bug people and robuts was the only good thing from Attack of the Clones.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Guuuyyyysss you're all gonna get in trouble.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

Guuuyyyysss you're all gonna get in trouble.

Don't be a narc

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
afaik it’s just CD that has the strict no-piracy talk, but I err on the side of caution now anyways.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think that's the rule they were worried about.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s ok you can use the comma in the thread title as a get out of jail free card

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao I never noticed the Lionel Hutz thread title

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Fisting was never off limits in this forum, right?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’m starting to think B99 shouldn’t have been revived

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

I’m starting to think B99 shouldn’t have been revived

Finally.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Sister Act 3 is coming along nicely

https://twitter.com/trash_italiano/status/1093931402222014464

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

Kit Fisto had a better name

You guys ever wish you could take the part of your brain that is somehow dedicated to memorizing the name and backstory of random characters in a movie you hated 15 years ago and retrain it to not miss major plot points and character moments in things you actually enjoy instead? Like being in the center of the Venn diagram of people who can't tell the main characters in The Departed apart but can tell you the difference between Dexter Jetster and Elan Sleaebaggano seems like a very special kind of hell.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Guy Mann posted:

You guys ever wish you could take the part of your brain that is somehow dedicated to memorizing the name and backstory of random characters in a movie you hated 15 years ago and retrain it to not miss major plot points and character moments in things you actually enjoy instead? Like being in the center of the Venn diagram of people who can't tell the main characters in The Departed apart but can tell you the difference between Dexter Jetster and Elan Sleaebaggano seems like a very special kind of hell.

Kit Fisto is a funny name which makes it easy to remember, hope that helps.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Guy Mann posted:

You can accomplish this with some death sticks.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Guy Mann posted:

You misspelled Dexter Jettster and Elan Sleazebaggano :smuggo:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kit Fisto is a funny name which makes it easy to remember, hope that helps.

Yeah, he'd just be "green dude" if his name wasn't Fisto

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So I'm watching Cowboy Bebop all the way through for the first time since it was on Toonami in like 2001 and it's even better than I remember. How come hardly any other anime has music this good???

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think it's because anime budgets are ultra low now and they just pump them out as fast as possible. Even hits like Fullmetal Alchemist looks cheap to me so they aren't going to bother with giving someone time to compose a score.

Also like 99% of music on any show is boring. The only other show I can think of with interesting original stuff is the 90s Batman cartoon and Battlestar Galactica with the middle eastern guitars.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 9, 2019

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

precision posted:

So I'm watching Cowboy Bebop all the way through for the first time since it was on Toonami in like 2001 and it's even better than I remember. How come hardly any other anime has music this good???

Heck yes, I picked it up on bluray last year when it was like $10 for the series. I've watched it a million times before but it always holds up so well. I can hear Piano Black in my head as I type this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm. Never watched it. I do own it on blu ray. I did like Trigun.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yoko Kanno is also just really loving good. See also: Escaflowne, Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, Wolf's Rain.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yeah, Kanno is a master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYf7NluE5D4

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I kinda miss those nights in 2003 watching Cowboy Bebop on Adult Swim and shitposting at 1am or whenever it was

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

She provided her own vocals sometimes too under the pseudonym Gabriela Robin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUnfpBns5xM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Hmm. Never watched it. I do own it on blu ray. I did like Trigun.

Trigun is fine but it you like that you'll go loving mental over Bebop, it's just on a whole other level. One of the best tv shows ever made, period, and has one of the best finales ever to boot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like it's basically Soderbergh filmography levels of genre hopping and playing with tropes etc

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:member: that Netflix is doing a live action Bebop? :smithicide:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It better be good

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

If not we riot.

I like Bebop because it's always nice to go back to a show you watched 20 years ago and realize "it's not just nostalgia, it really IS that good." Had a similar experience with Stargate SG-1.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 9, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

:member: that Netflix is doing a live action Bebop? :smithicide:

I'm being cautiously optimistic about the Netflix series because the man behind the Middleman is the showrunner. From some of his tweets it seems like they're not interested in simply remaking the series, but instead using the series as a springboard to tell their own stories.

While that sounds not great on the surface, Rian Johnson has gone on record citing Bebop as a huge influence for his film Brick (he told JGL to more-or-less play Spike) and the film is fan-loving-tastic and really does feel like Bebop in a bunch of ways despite having really nothing in common besides the atmosphere and pacing.

So it's totally possible to capture the feel of Bebop in live action and without the score.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I caught a random episode of this seasons Blindspot, What the gently caress is with the Micheal Bay filter they used for the Mexico scenes? Looks like poo poo

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Wow Corporate is hilarious. Good recommendation, tv chat thread

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! (gotta make sure to get that exclamation point in there)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
:lol: still catching up, somebody could probably actually sell male makeup

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

PostNouveau posted:

:lol: still catching up, somebody could probably actually sell male makeup

People already are selling it. Chanel, Tom Ford...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hot Topic has been selling dude makeup for like 20 years.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Just finished watching all of season 3 of Netflix's One Day at a Time. It really is the best sitcom on right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
PEN15 on Hulu is super good. It's like riot grrl Superbad. The Lonely Island made it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

precision posted:

Cowboy Bebop is one of those rare shows shows that had an amazing team of people that just gelled together. The director is a hell of an aesthete when it comes to music and film, the composer is one of the best working, the head writer was already friends with the director and worked with the composer on previous projects (she also worked with Satoshi Kon, another legend in his own right) and the character designer's previous work had a very distinct style that hewed more towards realism than other series of the time.

It's such a time and place show that it'll probably always be remembered by our generation as something special. Ironically, Cowboy Bebop merely did okay over in Japan but it's so insanely popular in the West that it propelled a lot of people's careers. Shinichiro Watanabe's done a bunch of shows since but one show that gets overlooked (imo) is Michiko and Hatchin or Finding Paradiso depending on what region you're in. It has a similar gritty, lived-in feel and well-rounded characters that Cowboy Bebop has, along with some fantastic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQf-NkWz7Yo

It's also the only anime I can think of where most of the primary cast are black women which is super cool and probably a one-time thing. :sigh:

e: yes i'm aware this is a Wendy's drive-in