Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Can't wait to get nothing in this week's tides of war thing because I almost never use vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analdeath
Aug 12, 2007

Chilled-out entertainer.
Tonight's theme is Perseverance:

https://xboxclips.com/Wudsi/06e9f8b5-fd16-48db-894c-295f39694b2a

https://xboxclips.com/Wudsi/494a7ca6-814e-46ba-b1ef-6bc9e18e5f4e

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Can't wait to get nothing in this week's tides of war thing because I almost never use vehicles

Well good news, this week's reward is an MMG

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Well good news, this week's reward is an MMG

A thing everyone almost never uses.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

sunday at work posted:

A thing everyone almost never uses.

Literally every gun class is something everyone almost never uses

40% of players are assaults -> split 60/40 between semi autos and assault files. The most used class of guns is used by ~23% of players. And it just gets worse from there. Eat your MMG and like it, nerd.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
lmao this is some of the saddest and most pathetic poo poo I’ve ever seen, and the dude is so turbofucked now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XzKwOOch0Y

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Noctone posted:

lmao this is some of the saddest and most pathetic poo poo I’ve ever seen, and the dude is so turbofucked now

The saddest part is the >2800 rounds played. That's like nearly 40 rounds/day since launch. Let him have his cheats, it's clearly the only thing he's got.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Noctone posted:

I’ll never understand the effort people put into being top of these leaderboards. This dude has 4+ accounts going at once and constantly rage quits games. Pretty sad, really.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Im gonna watch the whole thing but theres a bit in the beginning where the guy states the "ghost" accounts were gone but then zooms in on one that changed sides and its bugging me

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ZeusCannon posted:

Im gonna watch the whole thing but theres a bit in the beginning where the guy states the "ghost" accounts were gone but then zooms in on one that changed sides and its bugging me

Same. I saw the name on the other side while he plans across and j just paused it to see if anyone mentioned it in the comments. Then I got bored and stopped watching.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Persistent stats are a curse upon the gamer brain.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
I dont understand the focus on leaderboards on a game that honestly doesnt even try to be sporting. They should have buried kd deep in the menus. Maybe then people would be embarrassed to only rack up a thousand points or two and actually help their team. All the poo poo they did to incentivize team play was the wrong way to go about it. They should have shamed players for their terrible team play by not showing their kill counts.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't want to be one of those "this battlefield sucks" guys, because I've had some good and fun games in bf5, but there's something missing from this version that I can't quite put a finger on. Maybe it's that I don't get a chance to play with goons much, but I think it's more to do with the scale and lack of epicness. Maybe that's because I've been stuck playing these close quarters modes for the tides of war stuff, but even on conquest the maps seem and compressed. The game just feels more of a grind. Slog to the objective, meat grinder at the objective points. Lee Enfield equipped rock wookies seem to be more of a menace than an annoying inconvenience. Infantry vs armor has less of a david vs Goliath feel. Aircraft are pretty much ignorable (though you could say that about BF1 too) and pretty much immune to infantry even if you wanted to engage them. The whole game seems less free-form and chaotic, more grindy and tiresome. Even after a long back and forth slog on frontlines where you finally triumph, I feel less like I accomplished something or had a meaningful effect than I am just tired of respawning over and over trying to keep a critical mass of bodies at an objective to take it. And for whatever reason, the conquest maps just aren't that rewarding for risky back-capping moves. They seem designed to funnel you into the hotly contested objectives and just keep throwing yourself at them.
I don't mean to poo poo on the game, I don't think it's bad, I just feel there's something missing. I haven't had any "wtf that was amazing!" moments in this game, like taking down a little bird with a revolver, watching a plane take out a tank right in front of me by crashing into it, taking out a sword swinging calvaryman with just a sidearm, or shooting down airplanes with turrets.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

It's because it's basically a de facto Early Access title.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

It's because it's basically a de facto Early Access title.

Early Access

Electronic Arts

EA

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I mean let's just talk about the game as is:

it's buggy as hell, every match you'll see multiple bugs and deal with multiple QoL issues including player visibility, poo poo falling through the floor, weird visual bugs, etc. Lately my game has chugged along at .5 FPS for 10 - 14 seconds on certain maps, and it won't be fixed for weeks
Both air and ground vehicles do not play well with the infantry at all, they tend to careen between slaughtering them with no real counters -> being blown up without accomplishing anything, there's no middle ground
Assault is quite a bit better than the other 3 classes in most circumstances
The much-hyped Attrition system barely matters
The Specialization system is super wack, particularly on airplanes where it can add 2x - 5x the power of the "base model" from Level 0 -> Level 4, and on certain guns where there's a very clearly superior upgrade choice, and is unbalanced between guns (see the terrible Specializations of the FG-42 which neither fix its weaknesses or enhance its strengths)
Air combat is in a terrible place and is nearly brain dead
The Assignments are pure garbage and often force you to play in poor ways or adversarial to the rest of the team. There also aren't enough slots.
There aren't enough maps and the ones they have are very inconsistent and unbalanced in certain modes
Their "crown jewel" Grand Operations mode is laughable low-effort trash
The one-frame TTD netcode problems are still around after 3 months
Tides of War is a not particularly interesting take on a Battle Pass

However the gunplay and movement feel good, the squadplay is very satisfying, and the non-meatgrinder modes tend to play very well (most of the time ....Frontlines Small on Hamada is always gonna suck) so I don't hate the game. But it's got a lot of problems and they are mostly of the "oh poo poo we gotta kick this out the door" Early Access variety.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Part of why I’ve fallen off BFV hard is that it doesn’t have the huge spectacle that I play DICE games for. There’s no giant dramatic set pieces nor the organic “battlefield moments” that the series is known for. Joyless nerds can complain about map imbalance all they want but charging uphill through the flames on the last point of Verdun operations was loving awesome. The levelutions from BF4 might’ve been scripted and inorganic but at least they looked cool. Everything in BFV is either an instadeath meatgrinder or a massive game of ring around the rosie.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Sounds like you guys should start buying BF games one year after release.

The game changes drastically over the course of 1-2 years.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Beastie posted:

But with the Tides of War model who knows how much gameplay content will be locked behind the slowly-accruing CC?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

But with the Tides of War model who knows how much gameplay content will be locked behind the slowly-accruing CC?

All other criticisms aside, tides of war is objectively garbage. Oh you went away for a week and didn't play? Sorry, your tamagotchi died.

Beastie posted:

You're not wrong. I bought it on sale during the pre Christmas sale, but I'm thinking of just shelving it for a few months to see how things change. Right now it feels like I'm only playing to grind out some more unlocks.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

You're not wrong. I bought it on sale during the pre Christmas sale, but I'm thinking of just shelving it for a few months to see how things change. Right now it feels like I'm only playing to grind out some more unlocks.

I’m curious, what will you pick up to scratch the itch? Another FPS?

For online I really only play BFV, some Call of Duty BR, and the occasional game of Rocket League.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Finger Prince posted:

All other criticisms aside, tides of war is objectively garbage. Oh you went away for a week and didn't play? Sorry, your tamagotchi died.

It's just a dumb battle pass but I don't think people have processed how stingy this game is with in-game currency.

The dailies are anemic and if you want to specialize a broad amount of weapons and vehicles you're going to spend most of it up. So dropping 2k or so on these ToW weapons is going to hurt.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
They’re adding in a means to buy tides of war stuff with company coin after the fact. Plus the only worthwhile thing to come from tides so far is the killer medic gun. I do agree that it’s a stupid concept overall tho.
Edit:i have about 14k company coin just sitting because there’s nothing worth spending it on

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Beastie posted:

For online I really only play BFV, some Call of Duty BR, and the occasional game of Rocket League.

I know it’s not a popular opinion in here but I still think BF1 is a much better game and I still enjoy it :)

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

RCarr posted:

I know it’s not a popular opinion in here but I still think BF1 is a much better game and I still enjoy it :)

Me too. I picked up BFV on sale last week and it just... does not feel good. And I’ve been playing since OG 1942. I’m going to shelve it for a couple of months and see if the QoL improves. Meantime I’ll be falling back to BF1 for multiplayer action.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

FastestGunAlive posted:

Plus the only worthwhile thing to come from tides so far is the killer medic gun. I do agree that it’s a stupid concept overall tho.

The Selb and this week's MMG are also worth it.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Its insane that the supply crates still fall through the floor basically everywhere. I couldn’t put a crate down on the twisted steel bridge at all in one match. Or only the lid will stick out in certain floor types in the aerodrome bunker.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

red19fire posted:

Its insane that the supply crates still fall through the floor basically everywhere. I couldn’t put a crate down on the twisted steel bridge at all in one match. Or only the lid will stick out in certain floor types in the aerodrome bunker.

had this poo poo all over the other night, if the crate ends up angled at all, poof! Right through the floor

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Nah. It's not anywhere as good as BF3 or BF4 ended up being, but it's already miles ahead of the snoozefest that was BF1. I'm thinking the next battlefield they'll almost be back on track from the BF1 suckfest derail.

Hopefully they stop listening to whoever is in charge of vehicles and spawn screens. Also whoever the gently caress keeps trying to go for story. I don't give a gently caress about battles no one cares about in WW2. Just give me the hits.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Feb 8, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Beastie posted:

I just started a new game of Skyrim..... Again.

For online, there's that new f2p battle Royale game that looks maybe ok? It's probably trash. But it's free trash. Realistically I'll probably just fire up bf5 every now and then when I want some shoot mans and I'll suck really bad for not having played it much and then I'll just quit again for a while.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Nah. It's not anywhere as good as BF3 or BF4 ended up being, but it's already miles ahead of the snoozefest that was BF1. I'm thinking the next battlefield they'll almost be back on track from the BF1 suckfest derail.

Hopefully they stop listening to whoever is in charge of vehicles and spawn screens. Also whoever the gently caress keeps trying to go for story. I don't give a gently caress about battles no one cares about in WW2. Just give me the hits.

Yo. Frontlines is good for tanking. Except that sometimes the matches are insanely long. Think I just spent nearly two hours in one match because the time doesn’t tick down while you’re waiting for the next objective to g active. I

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

This thread is better than the PC one because the PC one spends all their time complaining

Front lines is pretty good at times because on big maps you can easily get behind enemy lines like the group I was playing with last night and get stabby

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hot Diggity! posted:

This thread is better than the PC one because the PC one spends all their time complaining

That sounds like a complaint!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

This is pretty rad, gets me hyped to play this weekend. Haven't been able to play in like two weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghpqr-oGB3Q

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

Rush is coming back :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/JaqubAjmal/status/1093980455110696962?s=19

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Good v1 drop starting about 45 seconds in. Yea I like frontlines, when it doesn’t turn into a back and forth slug fest for too long. They can fix that by having the timer constantly going instead of only when flags are contested

https://xboxclips.com/FastestGunAlive/ed1ba175-d786-4e61-9bc7-f9071b96c8ca

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

FastestGunAlive posted:

Good v1 drop starting about 45 seconds in. Yea I like frontlines, when it doesn’t turn into a back and forth slug fest for too long. They can fix that by having the timer constantly going instead of only when flags are contested

https://xboxclips.com/FastestGunAlive/ed1ba175-d786-4e61-9bc7-f9071b96c8ca

gently caress you, I LOVE a long Frontlines.
rack me up some kills!

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Nah I’m good without two hour matches like the one I had last night on twiztid steel. Leaving that poo poo in 2018 with metro 500% ticket no shotguns no noob snipers only servers. Out here trying to live my best life. No more than forty minutes a match please

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

The Bananana posted:

gently caress you, I LOVE a long Frontlines.
rack me up some kills!

This.

My all time favorite BF1 game ever was a 3 hour long back and forth meat grinder that saw both teams down to one Telegraph at one point. It was fantastic.

I understand the need for shorter games but at least have long games still be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Mosquito pilots, what’s y’all upgrade recommendations? Not that I’ll ever be able to actual upgrade mine since I’m immediately shot down by fighters