Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For the purposes of this thread, I think "Early FPS" is basically any FPS whose primary release was on PC. Even though that includes Crysis, which is pushing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
  • Relatively small team, often with people pulling double-duty as a result (e.g. Romero doing both programming and level design)
  • Featuring a software renderer because the DirectX and OpenGL standards hadn't really solidified yet
  • Easy to mod, with people being realistically able to create at least some custom maps by themselves with official or third-party editors

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Has a dopefish decal
Doesn't have any meaningful plot or exposition
Lack of unskippable in-game cutscenes (I think this really differentiates Half-Life from its contemporaries)
No arbitrary weapon carry limit
Cool music always playing

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I think all these criteria are just dancing around the main requirement:

"I remember it from my childhood"

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Has a dopefish decal
Doesn't have any meaningful plot or exposition
Lack of unskippable in-game cutscenes (I think this really differentiates Half-Life from its contemporaries)
No arbitrary weapon carry limit
Cool music always playing

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
This thread talks about DUSK all the time so I doubt the era in which a game came out really matters at all, it's all about the atttitude/sensibilities of the individual game I think.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Def gotta carve out some time this weekend to play episode 6 of Amid Evil. The environments in this one look cool as gently caress.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

We could just change the title and remove the word 'Early'. Or add '& Current'?

I mean, we talk about the all anyway, and no one seems to mind.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

We could just change the title and remove the word 'Early'. Or add '& Current'?

I mean, we talk about the all anyway, and no one seems to mind.

"old-school"?

Something could have old-school sensibilities, but me made in modern day.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of DUSK, looks like there's already some amount of modding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gqBlLkTxcM

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"old-school"?

Yeah, but people here talk about COD and BF and all that stuff. It's just that we also go right back to talking about the original Doom and Wolf3D. I've never really cared about what FPS goons bring up to discuss, even if I might've posted stating otherwise; that would have likely just been me being somewhat jokingly :goonsay: but really, I don't think anyone's going to care that much.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

david_a posted:

I didn’t realize it wasn’t until you posted this.

:same:

Didn't realize it was quite that old either

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/46002-sunder/?page=24&tab=comments#comment-1961207

new Sunder (?) I'm too lazy to learn to play Doom but I'm excited to watch other people play it

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

"Shooters that old people play"

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

"Shooters that old people play"

I guess but Project Warlock was made by a 17 year old who loved watching his dad play Doom as a kid so we're not all decrepit :corsair:

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So his dad was playing Doom in the early to mid 2000s... maybe he was using Doomsday Engine. Hopefully not with 3D models on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
im not yet 30, bitch

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Mordja posted:

im not yet 30, bitch

I loaded up the quote, put on my thinking cap... thinking up a retort. Ahem. I believe you're over 30... in number of uh... Jackie Chan films you've seen. I know I've seen my fair share.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
im young and virile and sometime in 2020 ill release 3 singleplayer maps for marathon 3

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

DisDisDis posted:

im young and virile and sometime in 2020 ill release 3 singleplayer maps for marathon 3

:yeah:

DisDisDis posted:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/46002-sunder/?page=24&tab=comments#comment-1961207

new Sunder (?) I'm too lazy to learn to play Doom but I'm excited to watch other people play it

Wow that’s pretty bad rear end, but what if we just smacked 1000 barons of hell up in it too

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Thatll be in chillax 2

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I'm at the age of when I should start getting yearly physicals, I have to take antacid before I go to bed, and I'm thinking of getting into (original) Doom mapping, or at least writing new music for whoever wants some.

Doom is timeless.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Sunder's a Slaughterwad, right? Been avoiding it because of that, and because I'm hoping Finaldoomer+ comes out with a weaponset for it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

"old-school"?

this would make more sense

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Mordja posted:

Sunder's a Slaughterwad, right? Been avoiding it because of that, and because I'm hoping Finaldoomer+ comes out with a weaponset for it.

It is, I somehow managed to make it to level 3 using the Plutonia set before a GZDoom update broke my saves. That new pic looks really nice though.

Speaking of slaughtermaps, I need to finish Sunlust, I warped myself back to Map28 and I just need to knuckled down and finish it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yeah, I can't stand slaughtermaps myself; they're catered to a specific type of play style that doesn't mesh well with my own.

But then I've found several of the most-popular non-slaughtermaps of recent years suffer a similar problem with me (Ancient Aliens notably), so what the community wants and what I want are clearly very different. It's kinda frustrating, too, because they've got these excellent setpieces, but I find them just kinda miserable to play without save-scumming the hell out of 'em.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anything over 200 and I start to feel exhausted, unless I'm using some sort of OP gameplay mod or something.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Slaughter Maps are basically when I just want to install a crazy weapon mod, type in iddqd, put on a podcast, and just soak it in for a while.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I'm not normally into them, I've been playing Sunlust because it's Ribbiks and beautiful, and I picked up Sunder for the Hell of it with no real intention of finishing it, plus it does look nice. I tend to prefer a bit of a challenge in nice looking areas with minimal puzzles and nice flow. Which is one thing I do like about slaughtermaps, I rarely finish a fight and then go, "now what?" and spend twenty minutes trying to find a key or switch.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm at the age of when I should start getting yearly physicals, I have to take antacid before I go to bed, and I'm thinking of getting into (original) Doom mapping, or at least writing new music for whoever wants some.

Doom is timeless.

Why haven't you played the 2016 Doom game yet? Also I've always had yearly physicals, maybe my doctor is playing a goof on me.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
The day will come when Doom mapmaking will be officially enshrined in the hallowed halls of Dad Hobbies alongside Brewing, Breadmaking, Gardening and Leaning Into The Open Hood of a Car and Swearing.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Heavy Metal posted:

Why haven't you played the 2016 Doom game yet? Also I've always had yearly physicals, maybe my doctor is playing a goof on me.

Yeah but in your case they're just trying to figure out what's wrong with you.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxuzvlMmMbI&t=1m27s

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The boundary where "early FPS" ends is when their plots stopped being "people were experimenting with teleportation technology and hosed up real bad"

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Your game can be considered retro-esque if it has a singleplayer campaign that is actually good. That's what the world has come to.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Casimir Radon posted:

Your game can be considered retro-esque if it has a singleplayer campaign that is actually good. That's what the world has come to.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Noted Retro FPS Titanfall 2

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

DisDisDis posted:

Learning to play doom is 123 easy!
1:Play doom badly using the arrow keys and cheats
2: "10-15 years"
3: Ultra-violence is now too easy.
So, after only 1/10 of your natural life you too can learn to play doom without being instantly destroyed by custom wads on UV! (it's not that hard, if you've played any recent fast paced fps the skills transfer over except for the wads that forbid mouse look).

Convex posted:

I guess but Project Warlock was made by a 17 year old who loved watching his dad play Doom as a kid so we're not all decrepit :corsair:
This makes sense because that's what the game feels like "doom but in a weird this isn't at all how old fps were like way". I didn't think it was bad just not that good either outside of the nice cute sprites, it was too flat and dry. It kind of felt like a snes game mutated into a fps.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Feb 9, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

Noted Retro FPS Titanfall 2

Almost unironically, yes.

Hey, it's got the speed, verticality, and if you take Grenadier weapons, you're practically playing Tribes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I've been playing through Amid Evil in pistol start on the hardest difficulty (Evil) and it feels like this is how the game was designed to be played. It feels like doom on UV, and I'm beginning to wonder if I accidentally loaded an older save on hard difficulty because it's way easier than I expected, but still the perfect level of challenge. I recommend it.