Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Not sure but did people catch last week's chapter of Marry Grave?
It's not a look-alike or a clone, it's just his great-granddaughter. I instantly imagine her not believing who he really is and it takes a peek in the coffin to see her great-grandmother to convince her.

Mulderman posted:

Yeah, but the large sites offer those up 2 days before the official release. I get that.

What puzzles me is scanning/cleaning and translating a chapter, that's officially available for a couple of days now.
Unless I'm missing something perusing Mangaplus' site they don't keep the full series available, even for series that have ended serialization. And if it's a series that is still updating they keep a 3 chapter queue of the most recent chapters and bump of the oldest chapter to make room for the new one. The benefit of keeping a fan translation of a manga hosted on those terms is that when people want to read older chapters they are probably more likely to go to your site where you still host them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Brought To You By posted:

It's not a look-alike or a clone, it's just his great-granddaughter. I instantly imagine her not believing who he really is and it takes a peek in the coffin to see her great-grandmother to convince her.

Unless I'm missing something perusing Mangaplus' site they don't keep the full series available, even for series that have ended serialization. And if it's a series that is still updating they keep a 3 chapter queue of the most recent chapters and bump of the oldest chapter to make room for the new one. The benefit of keeping a fan translation of a manga hosted on those terms is that when people want to read older chapters they are probably more likely to go to your site where you still host them.

Well unless you are Mangastream.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Well unless you are Mangastream.

Doesn't mangastream still keep all the chapters they translated? I haven't used their website in years.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Doesn't mangastream still keep all the chapters they translated? I haven't used their website in years.

no. they only keep a backlog of a few of the most recent chapters

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

no. they only keep a backlog of a few of the most recent chapters

Didn't realize they don't carry the entire backlogs anymore. Although it's only for series that got a legal slap from a casual look and it's not consistent because Promised Neverland is a WSJ series and it's there in it's entirety. I would still agree that keeping those licensed series on the website brings in some traffic for ad revenue. Especially if people have already gotten used to visiting their website.

But not retaining older chapters would just push people to an aggregate site if they are looking to avoid subscriptions.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I guess Beastars is cg :dawkins101:

Studio Orange. I know they did Land of the lustrous but still

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Land of the Lustrous has a setting and cast that lends itself well to CG, but Beaststars... hmmmm

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I did not. Thank you.
Considering the general tone of the series, that's probably what's going to happen yes. I imagine she's not going to be too happy about her "dad" running around with her great grandmothers corpse.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in Space Tail, everyone enters an MMORPG to save a robot.

Still enjoying this.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Meanwhile in Space Tail, everyone enters an MMORPG to save a robot.

Still enjoying this.

As long as he stays away from the really questionable stuff, then this is a lot of fun. So far, I'm really enjoying it as well.
I love that those forms fitting dive suits were the same for men and for women. :)

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Darth TNT posted:

As long as he stays away from the really questionable stuff, then this is a lot of fun. So far, I'm really enjoying it as well.
I love that those forms fitting dive suits were the same for men and for women. :)

I at the very least hope one of them gets a really goofy avatar.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mulderman posted:

I at the very least hope one of them gets a really goofy avatar.

The most likely outcome is Weiss with a female avatar. Though for a moment I figured the dumb animal at the end was Shiki.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've just stumbled onto a series that seems to be a mashup of gantz/battle royale/aphorism. its pretty gory considering its listed as a shonen series

Since i just read the third chapter, the main character is a standard super genius teenager and they're all given abilities at random. His ability is whatever he makes his opponent believe

https://mangadex.org/title/24204

Jose fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 7, 2019

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New chainsawman!

That monster stole what was rightfully his! Fight for the boobs man!

I'm not liking the artstyle much on this Manga, but it's so insane I'm going to keep reading it.
It also occurs to me that the girl doesn't have boobs in the past. :(

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

I've just stumbled onto a series that seems to be a mashup of gantz/battle royale/aphorism. its pretty gory considering its listed as a shonen series

Since i just read the third chapter, the main character is a standard super genius teenager and they're all given abilities at random. His ability is whatever he makes his opponent believe

Yeah I really like this but the translation is so slooooow. The raws are up to like 80.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I've been following that for a couple months. It's good, but hasn't really wowed me yet. I generally enjoy battle series that are "a bunch of people with random powers duke it out" it's fun just seeing how an author can utilize sometime really unconventional abilities in cool ways. The current arc seems like it's going to kick things off better as it's no longer a tournament setup in a blank arena, and multiple people can fight now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Yeah I really like this but the translation is so slooooow. The raws are up to like 80.

well at least it means it didn't get an early cancellation :v:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Marry Grave deserved better

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Jose posted:

I caught up on it. It's interesting. It kind of reminds me of Law of Ueki where powers have downsides\conditions. The gore kinda stops but gets replaced with some fanservice bullshit. 1 lady is constantly in lingerie

I'd give it a read as it goes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

new jujutsu kaisen chapter and ngl my opinion on the old head exorcist guy has gone up after reading it

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/46/page/1

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

This seems a bit of a stupid question and might even be the wrong thread but I remember reading a manga where its some sort of school trip to a VR history place and then they end up actually in that reality? i'm not really sure and i can't even remember if it was good its just been bugging me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jose posted:

I'm always up for death game manga; it is my favorite trashy genre.

There's another death game manga similar to this one (where people get powers). I forget its name, but the main character has the ability to create equipment/items, his love interest is this crazy girl who can manipulate chains, and the game is run through a smart phone app. I remember it being pretty entertaining.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Ytlaya posted:

There's another death game manga similar to this one (where people get powers). I forget its name, but the main character has the ability to create equipment/items, his love interest is this crazy girl who can manipulate chains, and the game is run through a smart phone app. I remember it being pretty entertaining.

I believe this is Darwin's Game?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jose posted:

This seems a bit of a stupid question and might even be the wrong thread but I remember reading a manga where its some sort of school trip to a VR history place and then they end up actually in that reality? i'm not really sure and i can't even remember if it was good its just been bugging me

Amatsuki? I have no idea wtf is going on there anymore since it rarely updates and the story is confusing. The main characters are 2 boys and a girl who is possessed by a dog spirit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I think that is it. I remember it being incredibly confusing. Cheers for helping me out it's been stuck in my brain for months for some reason but I kept forgetting to post about it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

new jujutsu kaisen chapter and ngl my opinion on the old head exorcist guy has gone up after reading it

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/jujutsu-kaisen/en/0/46/page/1
Same. Thought he was just some angry old guy. Turns out he's an aged rocker and possibly wearing a Jimmy Hendrix shirt. :rock: His stock just shot up.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jose posted:

I think that is it. I remember it being incredibly confusing. Cheers for helping me out it's been stuck in my brain for months for some reason but I kept forgetting to post about it

Np, I keep hoping the manga will end and the manga-ka will work a better story but so far no dice...

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah that’s Darwin’s game, it’s pretty decent. The cover pages for some of the chapters get really gross with the underage characters though(no nudity but really close).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
More people should read Aharen-san for their weekly quotient of lovable idiots.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Man, Hell Warden Higuma (one of the new Jump Starts) certainly takes darker and darker turns for the goofy concept.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

My favorite death game manga trope, which is unfortunately missing from the aforementioned Darwin's Game (thanks for reminding me of the name), is "protagonist's friend/rival figure who is a crazy loving psychopath." The Kami-sama no Iu Toori series (there are two) are good examples of this trope.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is the main villain of Ne0;lation.

Not sure what aesthetic that is but it's a thing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i can recognize all the individual elements but they don't seem to mesh at all. it's just a mish-mash, like a randomizer in a character creation menu.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

My favorite death game manga trope, which is unfortunately missing from the aforementioned Darwin's Game (thanks for reminding me of the name), is "protagonist's friend/rival figure who is a crazy loving psychopath." The Kami-sama no Iu Toori series (there are two) are good examples of this trope.

:same: but my favorite favorite death game trope is when it turns out that it's not the protag's friend/rival but the protag himself

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jamiroquai cosplaying as zorro with a gun

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Fabricated posted:

This is the main villain of Ne0;lation.

Not sure what aesthetic that is but it's a thing

Speed of sound sonic wearing a furry hat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I dropped that after a couple chapters and this isn't changing my mind

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Manatee Cannon posted:

I dropped that after a couple chapters and this isn't changing my mind
It's not very good.

It even softpedals the potentially most emotional part of the previous arc.

A software/AI engineer is developing an AI that can understand (not feel), read, and manipulate human emotions in others and creates a mobage that's basically sold as an app to get you out of your house and exploring/etc with random quests like, "Take a 3 pictures of cats outside!" or "Go to your local park and take a picture of a bench!" and stuff like that- with the intent of feeding that data to the AI. To gather data on fear/depression/etc he feeds some people who have played the game a bunch a quest to commit suicide- which sounds stupid but could be actually a good way to show how damaging telling people who are experiencing suicidal ideation to kill themselves can be. For someone who is depressed and suicidal or entertaining thoughts of suicide, someone (or say, an app) telling them kill themselves could be all it takes for them to really do it.

Ne0 and friends trap the guy and rescue a girl the MC's friend is close to from committing suicide. It's kinda emotional because the girl is painted as being depressed/sad in basically the exact way a lot of suicide victims are (for example her friends think she might be struggling but "she seems okay! She still functions and we still talk and hang out! She'd never do something like that!" etc) but nah as it turns out the badguy was threatening her family or something through the app.

You almost had a good message there despite the boring Hackerman stuff.

Also the pictured badguy is quite literally Moriarty from the BBC Sherlock series. He even refers to himself as a consulting criminal.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 11, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/series/majo-no-kaigashuu/

this comic cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wasn't into it out the gate but when it's made clear that the girl couldn't see loki/he was basically her imaginary friend, it grabbed my interest. the set up for their relationship wasn't interesting before that but it really recontextualized his feelings