Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

While you're right about Susan, I don't remember Peter getting the interests of an adult man either.

That said the whole thing where Santa tells the women not to fight (but gives them weapons) is probably not something that would fly in 2019.

None of the Pevensies interests are mentioned except Susan's, which my argument has always been that it's her turning to vanity and pursuits of the flesh rather than believing in the Jesus lion, and that's why she isn't raptured

Not necessarily loving but definitely turning away from spiritual progress

Also the world, presumably, ends in The Final Battle, so if she isn't in Narnia with the chosen believers, she's fuckin non-existent

Edit I googled it apparently it's just Narnia that ends and is reborn as Aslans Country, the real world still exists but all the English characters died there except Susan

This is actually more hosed up imo as nothing implies that there's any way from the real world to Heaven 2.0 and if the one character we know is left behind is the one who doesn't believe in the lion, then that would imply that our world is hell, being the absence of God, this gets worse the harder I think about it

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Lewis said that she could get back to Narnia if she stopped denying it.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
its a really basic christian allegory and you're way overthinking it. she didnt come back to narnia because she consciously chose, as a rational being gifted with free will, not to go back to narnia. if she chooses to accept narnia - which she knows on some level is real - she can go back to narnia.

Antivehicular posted:

Even if it's not an intentional choice by Lewis, it's very telling that the descent into materialism/loss of spiritual self is signified by Susan, as an older adolescent girl, developing the interests of an adult woman. It's an extremely common sexist attitude, in both fiction and real life, to treat feminine material interests as inherently more shallow, crassly "worldly," and bankrupt of deeper value than equivalent masculine interests. (Said feminine material interests are pushed onto women by the same society, and women who don't take interest in them chastised just as badly, but that's a whole different discussion.) Adolescent male characters in male-written/targeted genre fiction are allowed to be infatuated with girls and have gender-stereotypical interests without it implying anything about their overall spiritual character, but similar female characters who exhibit any gender-stereotypical interests or take interest in boys beyond a single token love interest are practically always considered to be dumb, silly, and frivolous. It's particularly galling in Narnia because, as mentioned, she ends up loving locked out of Heaven for it.

it doesnt matter whether she rejects narnia because she likes lipstick or racehorses or guns or resident evil 2, out now for the playstation 4 and xbox one. what matters is that she oriented herself towards the worldly rather than the spiritual, and (more importantly) that she rejected narnia. neither racehorses nor lipstick are inherently more worldly. choosing either over god removes you from his presence. but that's not really the point; the lipstick is only the outer sign of the inner movement (i.e., away from Narnia-God).

cannot believe you've got me stanning for c. s. lewis, of all people, an author whom i do not and have never liked. y'all need to read something besides twitter.

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Feb 9, 2019

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

its a really basic christian allegory and you're way overthinking it. she didnt come back to narnia because she consciously chose, as a rational being gifted with free will, not to go back to narnia. if she chooses to accept narnia - which she knows on some level is real - she can go back to narnia.

it doesnt matter whether she rejects narnia because she likes lipstick or racehorses or guns or resident evil 2, out now for the playstation 4 and xbox one. what matters is that she oriented herself towards the worldly rather than the spiritual, and (more importantly) that she rejected narnia. neither racehorses nor lipstick are inherently more worldly. choosing either over god removes you from his presence.

cannot believe you've got me stanning for c. s. lewis of all people. y'all need to read something besides twitter.

I guess you don't, like, get it, but Lewis choice of which character failing to enter heaven is part of thousands of years of oppression of women and support of misogyny by the Christian church. Lilith leaves Adam because she has control over her sexuality, Eve causes orginal sin, etc.. Lewis demonification of Susan is just another part and parcel of christianities war on women. It's not a coincidence that it's lipstick and pantyhose and not racehorses.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
noted Christian figure Lilith

e: "the Christian church"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's true, apostasy makes her a demon, just like how Lewis himself spent the '20s as a demon after rejecting Christianity as a teenager.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Lewis himself spent the '20s as a demon after rejecting Christianity as a teenager.

please don't spoil my Inklings Real Person Fanfiction

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

it doesnt matter whether she rejects narnia because she likes lipstick or racehorses or guns or resident evil 2, out now for the playstation 4 and xbox one. what matters is that she oriented herself towards the worldly rather than the spiritual, and (more importantly) that she rejected narnia. neither racehorses nor lipstick are inherently more worldly. choosing either over god removes you from his presence. but that's not really the point; the lipstick is only the outer sign of the inner movement (i.e., from Narnia-God).

cannot believe you've got me stanning for c. s. lewis, of all people, an author whom i do not and have never liked. y'all need to read something besides twitter.

Can I start ranting about the Screwtape Letters as a recovering evangelical next?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Because its really bad

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
you can do whatever you want; i haven't read it and i'm not going to. i will say that if you're interpreting anglican theology through an evangelical lens you're probably not going to end up with a reading that's very fair to the text

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

That is probably correct and I should probably just shell out for therapy but god drat do I hate that book.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
alternatively you could convert to islam and thus escape both your heretical upbringing and the morass of apostasy into which you've now fallen

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 9, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I don't think my family have been Anglican properly for at least 500 years that's a lot of apostasy hope purgatory is heated

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

oh wait purgatory is probably reserved for catholics WELP

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Because its really bad

I remember enjoying the screwtape letters when I read them way back, but I'd love to hear some thoughtful, genuine criticism of them, if that's what you've got in mind.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

By the way, since Kingkiller discussion has basically been exhausted, some time ago Hieronymus Alloy gently prodded me to start my own thread for reviews instead of blessing the scifi/fantasy general thread with them. So I'm preparing to start a new general genre trashing discussion, where can freely vomit on Butcherwork and Sanderspergson and whatever, and also discuss good books maybe.
I am tapping my foot as I give my watch a pointed look.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
In retrospect, C S Lewis could've saved himself a lot of trouble if he had made it Peter instead of Susan, and given the reasons as turning away from Narnia to focus on, say, his new internship at some stuffy English bank.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
offering my services as a woke consultant to authors, helping them craft narratives in a way least likely to get people mad at them 50 years down the line

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

How do I write a compelling plot where all the characters are inclusive, none are villains, and nothing bad happens to anyone? I’ll give you fifty bucks

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Imagine thinking you need to have a villain in your story.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010

offering my services as a woke consultant to authors, helping them craft narratives in a way least likely to get people mad at them 50 years down the line

how would you fix WMF?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Crimpolioni posted:

I remember enjoying the screwtape letters when I read them way back, but I'd love to hear some thoughtful, genuine criticism of them, if that's what you've got in mind.

"Thoughtful and genuine" *checks my AV again*

Seriously though that would probably involve reading it again and life's just too short.

Even worse though is "Pilgrim's Progress"

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

poisonpill posted:

How do I write a compelling plot where all the characters are inclusive, none are villains, and nothing bad happens to anyone? I’ll give you fifty bucks

Tell the story of an anonymous, nondescript person reading The Third Policeman in an armchair with two dogs. I'll PM you my paypal deets.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

poisonpill posted:

Henry Green

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

He said "compelling plot."

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lol

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

He said "compelling plot."

His works have compelling plots.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mrenda posted:

Imagine thinking you need to have a villain in your story.

doesn't have to be a person, the villain in "the grapes of wrath" was capitalism for instance

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Tim Burns Effect posted:

doesn't have to be a person, the villain in "the grapes of wrath" was capitalism for instance

And the hero was the friendships we made along the way? I'm all in favour of twisting words to fit your writing, but not when you're twisting beyond meaning what other people have written.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Thanos has been defeated... but at great cost. And now changed team of heroes must confront the most diabolical villain of all in Avengers 5: The Invisible Hand.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Thanos has been defeated... but at great cost. And now changed team of heroes must confront the most diabolical villain of all in Avengers 5: The Invisible Hand.

You’re just describing Black Panther from the real protagonist’s perspective

Genre is...art?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

poisonpill posted:

Paradiso by Dante Alighieri

Pay me bitch

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If a "plot" is defined as a protagonist conflicting with an antagonistic force, then no, there is no fictional work with a plot that doesn't have a protagonist conflicting with an antagonist.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Hieronymous please ban poison pill if he doesn't give me 50 dollars since it was technically a toxx

God bless

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

You get one dollar for each year Buzzfeed doesn’t declare me “problematic”

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

...and that comes to *checks buzzfeed* zero dollars

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Pay me bitch

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Paradiso by Dante Alighieri

Pay me bitch

not inclusive; all the characters are Christians.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

pospysyl posted:

If a "plot" is defined as a protagonist conflicting with an antagonistic force, then no, there is no fictional work with a plot that doesn't have a protagonist conflicting with an antagonist.

what is the conflcit in the divine comedy

or the book of the duchess

or the house of fame

or pearl

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
What is the antagonistic force in Caligula: Divine Carnage?