Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

ZearothK posted:

Goblin Squad: The intro battle has you escaping from Hogwarts.

"Yer a bandit, 'arry."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I was already excited at being able to skip the intro fight since it would make rolling for swamp town seeds for cultists runs so much faster, but having an actual dedicated Davkul start has me super stoked :cthulhu:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

quote:

The Militia
If you prefer to overwhelm your enemies with superior numbers, or even just equal numbers in the late game, but still want a balanced game, then the peasant militia might be for you.

The militia starts not with three companions, but with a full roster of a dozen characters from various civilian backgrounds – daytalers, farmers, butchers, millers, and the like. With these kind of people, you’ll want to rely on numbers, so you’ll be able to field 18 men on the field at once, instead of the usual 12. The downside is that you’ll never be able to hire any noble or high tier combat backgrounds to join your mob of angry peasants. You’ll start with lower renown and crowns, but a home village that idolizes you and gives you great prices.
That sounds broken as poo poo.

Unless it prevents you from hiring Hunters. Then it just sounds regular broken.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I hope there's a background which is the opposite, i.e. it doesn't let you hire any dirty peasants etc. That sounds a lot more challenging, it would have to give some significant upside like starting with good equipment or giving a discount on hires or reduced salaries.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

How many days in are you and how many guys in the party? What other stats do they have?

I think it was somewhere around day 20-30 with most of my guys around lvl5. Everyone survived the fight but goddamn if I wasn't wishing I hadn't afterwards, everyone had some kind severe injury that would put them out of action for at least a week.

The Militia is right up my alley, since I'm too cheap to buy expensive mercenaries anyway. Can't wait to put together some kind crossbow firing line for sure and just peck everything to death.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Wizard Styles posted:

Yeah, that isn't anything at all of a tradeoff unless they make all of the cheap backgrounds suck somehow. As I was reading it I thought the caveat would be that they'd cap levels at 8 or gently caress up your perks or something

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Oh, I guess the real downside to the militia start is clicking wait/end turn on 18 motherfuckers every round :f5:

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, that isn't anything at all of a tradeoff unless they make all of the cheap backgrounds suck somehow. As I was reading it I thought the caveat would be that they'd cap levels at 8 or gently caress up your perks or something

The trade-off is pretty severe I think, as having a few high tier backgrounds mercenary kind of pay for themselves in the long run considering from fight to fight they're usually extremely efficiency and have good potential for growth, on top this, fielding 18 people + reserves means you're going to be spending a mint in food, medicine, and tools expenses to a smaller group of 12 or so people.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Clark Nova posted:

Oh, I guess the real downside to the militia start is clicking wait/end turn on 18 motherfuckers every round :f5:
It is this, yeah. That is why I have never even bothered trying that 18 bros hack and now mod. I am sure they will adjust fight scaling too so you will also have to sit through more enemies taking their turns.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't think more guys = more repair costs. Having more guys means there's more targets for the enemy to spread their damage between and more of your guys hitting them so they die faster and do less damage. And I'm pretty sure enemy numbers scale off your renown not your numbers, if they scale off the size of your company that would be pretty dumb and also render the whole thing totally pointless

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't think more guys = more repair costs. Having more guys means there's more targets for the enemy to spread their damage between and more of your guys hitting them so they die faster and do less damage. And I'm pretty sure enemy numbers scale off your renown not your numbers, if they scale off the size of your company that would be pretty dumb and also render the whole thing totally pointless

No, this is exactly the opposite of how the game works. Your renown has no influence on the difficulty, just the reward. Enemy numbers is dictated by your roster, including your current numbers.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Oh, in that case I stand corrected. It's still dumb though. What's the point in getting more guys if it just means you fight more enemies? Wouldn't that mean new recruits are an active detriment until they catch up? Not to mention going over 12 guys on your roster becomes a trap choice?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Oh, in that case I stand corrected. It's still dumb though. What's the point in getting more guys if it just means you fight more enemies? Wouldn't that mean new recruits are an active detriment until they catch up? Not to mention going over 12 guys on your roster becomes a trap choice?

Not quite. The game calculates strength of your roster not just by number of bros, but also by their level. I don't know the exact formula, but you'll definitely face harder enemies having a roster of 20 level 11s than 20 level 1s, even if everything else about the company is exactly the same.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Well the game or the 18-man mod do not force you to always play at the limit. What I love about the mod is that I can do things like bring 14 or 15 brothers and that polearm wielders no longer need to compete with archers for a spot in the 2nd line.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Had my eye on this for a while and traveling for work this week so I've pulled the trigger. the movie guide is great and looking forward to booting this up. Any changes or updates to the excellent guide?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Is there a list of good map seeds anywhere?

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

Is there a list of good map seeds anywhere?

https://bb.frukso.se/ is a user-submission site that can take some of the randomness out of it.

HEHXPIZQPX was the excellent trading seed from upthread. A good circle of towns/keeps in the north and convenient harbours. Starting bros aren't bad either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Wafflecopper posted:

The game doesn't scale based on your gear. So it's better to have more dudes *if they are well equipped.* More fodder is harmful, more equipped dudes you can get ahead of the curve.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I'm of the belief (in normal mode anyhow; ironman is a different kettle of fish) that hiring fodder that aren't good enough in the long run is harmful since you're wasting xp on guys that won't be around long term. I explicitly only hire the best of the best, to the point where it often takes me till day 80-90 before I have a full 12 guys; but they end up being a higher level than they would otherwise be and they're more capable and have better gear.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I hired someone and they suck

How do i fire them I can't figure it out

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
Rename them Bait. Give them a spear and shield and lovely armor you don't mind getting destroyed. Their job is to hold the flank.

Alternatively, there is a big X button underneath their portrait in the inventory screen.
You don't need to pay compensation for people that haven't been with the company long. If someone has been with the company for a while you might want to pay their compensation; if you don't the remaining company members will take a morale hit. Of course, compensation payments are often much more expensive than just buying a few drinks for the remaining bros to bring their morale back up.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Alternatively, do the first suggestion and use them as bait.

Then watch as they survive literally loving everything that gets thrown at them somehow.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

gently caress swamp battles.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

quote:

The Militia
If you prefer to overwhelm your enemies with superior numbers, or even just equal numbers in the late game, but still want a balanced game, then the peasant militia might be for you.

The militia starts not with three companions, but with a full roster of a dozen characters from various civilian backgrounds – daytalers, farmers, butchers, millers, and the like. With these kind of people, you’ll want to rely on numbers, so you’ll be able to field 18 men on the field at once, instead of the usual 12. The downside is that you’ll never be able to hire any noble or high tier combat backgrounds to join your mob of angry peasants. You’ll start with lower renown and crowns, but a home village that idolizes you and gives you great prices.

Pretty much. I've gone through 285 days and coming up on a third crisis, with a band of ragtag farmers and brawlers. The most expensive I have is some squire i stumbled upon, but he's not the best of them. Also have a deserter and retired solider that decided to join me at random events, but they are not great either. I do have one hunter though, if they somehow decide that they can't be hired.

18 of the filthy murderers I have now at once, at regular scaling, would faceroll just about everything :black101: Not that I won't try it mind, just saying :v:

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
This is how I've always played as well. From the midgame when money comes and goes by the thousands on I've always hired (and mostly fired) tons of cheap bros of backgrounds I like, sometimes adding in a few of the more expensive backgrounds I think are worth it.
And with the new wage calculation system that was introduced with Beasts & Exploration I'm hiring even less expensive bros now. I still like Squires and Adventurous Nobles, and Hunters are just a cut above the other ranged backgrounds so hiring them is almost necessary sometimes. But I won't hire lots of those. Very rarely I'll get a Hedge Knight in if his gear is good or I need a bro that's guaranteed to be good right now because one of my leveled two-handers had a Berserker-related work accident. But that Hedge Knight will have to be really good to justify the money he's on in the long term.

dogstile posted:

Alternatively, do the first suggestion and use them as bait.

Then watch as they survive literally loving everything that gets thrown at them somehow.
That's the best thing about it, sometimes that Dumb Gravedigger with 52 MSkill and one star each in HP, RDef and Initiative goes on to survive and sticks around as a mascot/cover for the actually good bros.

And even mediocre bros can be useful with Colossus, Gifted and Rotation alone.

The really terrible ones need to be culled, of course, and there's a point where a recruit would be too much of a liability to even be bait.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Wizard Styles posted:

This is how I've always played as well. From the midgame when money comes and goes by the thousands on I've always hired (and mostly fired) tons of cheap bros of backgrounds I like, sometimes adding in a few of the more expensive backgrounds I think are worth it.
And with the new wage calculation system that was introduced with Beasts & Exploration I'm hiring even less expensive bros now. I still like Squires and Adventurous Nobles, and Hunters are just a cut above the other ranged backgrounds so hiring them is almost necessary sometimes. But I won't hire lots of those. Very rarely I'll get a Hedge Knight in if his gear is good or I need a bro that's guaranteed to be good right now because one of my leveled two-handers had a Berserker-related work accident. But that Hedge Knight will have to be really good to justify the money he's on in the long term.

That's the best thing about it, sometimes that Dumb Gravedigger with 52 MSkill and one star each in HP, RDef and Initiative goes on to survive and sticks around as a mascot/cover for the actually good bros.

And even mediocre bros can be useful with Colossus, Gifted and Rotation alone.

The really terrible ones need to be culled, of course, and there's a point where a recruit would be too much of a liability to even be bait.

Yea, this seems like what I always gravitate towards. Paying 98g a turn for some sellsword who's melee skill is 5 higher than Jost the Merry Apprentice at 43g rarely seems worth it unless I'm swimming in gold and I really want to try some odd duelist build.

I've had some nice mascots too. Heinrich the Asmathic who I tried to get killed for a 100 days just ended up with a brain injury, traumatised and broken knee. I mean, what sort of retirement would that be? I kept him in the back with a polearm, rotating out guys and then footworking away (yes, both perks! Didn't think I was going to keep him anyway, and it was actually grand for utility.) He even racked up a good number of kills.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Never discount how useful a mediocre early game bro can be with Gifted and Rotation.

They will fill holes in the line, hit on a reasonable number of attacks with a sword or spear and they will die to be replaced by someone better.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I don't hire anyone unless they meet some pretty strict standards - I often won't have 12 guys in my party until the first crisis is just about starting - and I have to say I've yet to come across a hedge knight that met my hiring standards (at least for 2hander bros or duelists - most would have been good enough for tank duty; but by the time I can afford to hire a hedge knight I generally don't need any more of those)

What I want to know is why hasn't anyone told me about warscythes before? those things are amazing, you can do a 3 tile straight line AOE from the back line, and with polearm mastery you can do it twice per round if you take Beserk. I'm building up a nimble warscythe dude as we speak.

Also has anyone tried building a bro around the new fencing sword yet?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't hire anyone unless they meet some pretty strict standards - I often won't have 12 guys in my party until the first crisis is just about starting - and I have to say I've yet to come across a hedge knight that met my hiring standards (at least for 2hander bros or duelists - most would have been good enough for tank duty; but by the time I can afford to hire a hedge knight I generally don't need any more of those)

What I want to know is why hasn't anyone told me about warscythes before? those things are amazing, you can do a 3 tile straight line AOE from the back line, and with polearm mastery you can do it twice per round if you take Beserk. I'm building up a nimble warscythe dude as we speak.

I picked up an incredibly unique fencing sword in my current playthrough so I've been training up a squire who has multiple stars in initiative to be a nimble duelist fencer. He's a bit fragile, no stars in HP and because he needs as many rolls as possible in melee attack, melee defence, and initiative, I haven't put a lot of levels into HP. But with dodge and overwhelm and his really high initiative he usually doesn't get hit much as long as I'm careful with his positioning. He can deal some unreal damage when he hits with one of the lunge attacks, but when you get bad RNG on one of those it's very frustrating.

He's definitely picking up recovery as one of his last three perks since so much of his defence relies on maintaining high initiative for dodge and overwhelm, not sure what the other two will be though. Probably Steel Brow to make him more survivable, and killing frenzy to make him even more destructive. Open to suggestions though.

My experience suggests he's a glass cannon. Can deal some really incredible damage, especially one-on-one, but very vulnerable to those hits he does take. As a result I typically don't put him in the line, but keep him in the back row and then either use him to protect my flank or to concentrate the attack on a weak part of the enemy formation.

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 14, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Steel brow goes on everyone for me. gently caress you, Man with Crossbow

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

dogstile posted:

I used to do that but found this run that Colossus on everyone generally works better, because it still prevents headshots from being insta-kills but also helps a lot with body damage. In my past runs I've found that big fights against orcs, say, were really dangerous because even if they're just hitting the body they're still tearing through bros' armour and doing a lot of HP damage, and without Colossus some of my guys were really susceptible to that.

Nimble bros get both, though.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
I don't like Steel Brow; it helps a lot for sure but it's mainly good to prevent random deaths in the early to midgame. And yeah, Colossus also does that.
As soon as you got better helmets than what Raiders and Auxiliaries drop I think Steel Brow is kind of a waste compared to other defensive perks.

The Lord Bude posted:

That was right after B&E came out so disregard his gear and the naked sergeant.

I don't remember what his last 3 perks were exactly. Footwork for sure. Overwhelm, Pathfinder and Gifted (due to triple dipping on Initiative thanks to Dodge and the Lunge attack) are definitely considerations.

e: Not tested on Expert btw, but was okay on Veteran. The Fencing Sword is unfortunately balanced against the Arming Sword but there are uniques and Lunge got buffed/fixed by a later patch since I had this guy.

Wizard Styles fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 14, 2019

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

dogstile posted:

I've been running steel brow on everyone in my latest run and it's a night and day difference. No more lol random double damage is great. It even helps more than just resisting random crossbow deaths since now headshots in general aren't an "uh oh" moment but instead helps spread armor damage. I might try all colossus next run but if it is indeed plain better than steel brow as the two above posters argue then drat it's crazy op and in need of a nerf.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Not surprisingly Wizard and I are on the same page steelbro kind of fell off my defensive perk set up thanks to an increase in helmet quality being a thing both Nimble and battleforge. for nimble Bros typically the helmet was the most I'm a points item they would wear and battleforge there in heavy armour anyway so if anything is going to chip through the helmet it's going to take a while.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

So what exactly is the bonus damage from lunge?

I like the idea in theory but I'm not convinced I wouldn't be better off just giving my duelist an orc cleaver.

In other news; I think my orc chain dude is underperforming. I don’t think I’d have someone specialise in that again.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 15, 2019

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Who was it that was hoping for a company origin where you start with just one well equipped dude? Because I have some news for you

http://battlebrothersgame.com/dev-blog-114-company-origins-part-ii/

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Nordick posted:

Who was it that was hoping for a company origin where you start with just one well equipped dude? Because I have some news for you

poo poo it's like they are reading this thread. That's great.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nordick posted:

Devs read this thread and put my ideas in the game, confirmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Both of those sound awesome! I've almost never played around with attacking caravans and other noble house groups in the early game, only a little bit if I draw the Noble War crisis and by then, I feel like I never really needed the couple of trade items the caravans usually give you. Hedge knight start sounds dope too!