Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

misguided rage posted:

I'm not sure what you mean? That's absurdly more productive than the base game oil recipe.

It seems he's the type to want everything to have perfect ratios. So he's likely scribbling furiously on a notepad to find how many chemical plants he needs to get the ratio of heavy:light:petrol he wants.

Edit to repost the big event announcement on a new page:

Roflex posted:

So this is starting in 2 hours. Starts with Automation, Logistics, Turrets, and Military unlocked so we don't have to handcraft 10k red packs to get to assemblers. First few hours are going to be interesting in rushing to green science (but still needing 80k red packs to do so) and dealing with possibly hundreds of people online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Alkydere posted:

It seems he's the type to want everything to have perfect ratios. So he's likely scribbling furiously on a notepad to find how many chemical plants he needs to get the ratio of heavy:light:petrol he wants.
That seems kinda pointless with liquids, but sure. Especially since the answer is 'decide how much plastic you want and crack everything to petroleum'.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Alkydere posted:

Edit to repost the big event announcement on a new page:

Not really writing much down, but oil is the one area where you want to at least be somewhat close (when you get to advanced/cracking) because everything will grind to a halt if you have an excess of something, and I'm not one to just slap down giant farms of fluid tanks to deal with it.

fe: And fluid tanks take 31 steel each

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I can really appreciate the people who play this game at a whole different level than I do. There's the guys that worry about perfect ratios, taking costs into account, and can design complex assemblies on the fly. Then there's me slapping poo poo down until it mostly works and calling it good.

I feel the same way about football or chess. I find it fascinating that some people are seeing a whole metagame that I can't even comprehend.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Some of us have been around for quite a while and we've done everything so things like the randomizer are nice because they spice things up. I can put down a 8:7:1 advanced oil build from memory, and that will work with any vanilla game settings. Expensive mode does change some other common builds (circuits, steel) but even that's been "figured out". I need new puzzles to solve to stay interested and this scratches that itch in just the right way (unlike bob's or spacex did).

Which is also why these big events are good for everyone. Even if you think you know everything, someone else can show you a different way that might not necessarily be better, but it can get you thinking about the problems in a different way that you might never have thought about on your own. I spend a lot of time in the discords of streamers and some server communities and there's always something new and interesting going on.

A couple months ago one of them did a speedrun event run by a server hosting company, and for a few weeks after the event we iterated over a bunch of designs and playthroughs to get the time under an arbitrary benchmark. This led to some interesting designs, because we knew exactly how much smelting we needed (and even exactly where it was going to be placed) so the problem evolved into getting that build up as soon as possible. Splitters take circuits and are relatively expensive for the extreme early game, so to get the smelter up and running just a few minutes faster we used something like this (with yellow belt, obviously):

So yeah even if you think you know everything, there's always something else you might have missed. But spaghetti is fine too! Solve one problem until it's good enough, move onto the next problem, and don't worry about getting things perfect until you run out of problems. And when you run out of problems, there's plenty of ways to make new ones.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Oh god this super factorio thing is insane. All I've built are an SMG and ammo as everyone else goes ham on building everything else.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Having some trouble understanding how to use circuits for the first time.

I want to control my oil cracking by looking at the amount of heavy vs light, and only cracking heavy to light if there is an imbalance greater than amount x. I was planning on using a arithmatic combinator to subtract the value of light from heavy, and then wire that to turn my pump on if that value is below x, but the arithmatic combinator only has one input?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It has two inputs, click the number to the right of the operator drop-down box.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Wires hold signals. There are red wires and green wires, and the only difference is that they will never exchange signals between them (without a combinator doing the translation in the middle). If you wire up both tanks with the same color wire, and to the combinator, the combinator will see the input signals of both oils.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I have Nuclear Locomotives successfully applying names randomly selected from a list, gonna release when 0.17 rolls around.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Man circuits were MADE for oil. When I first started playing, oil was so obnoxious. I would always end up with too much of something and it would slow the whole system, and I'd have to come in and crack something to get things moving again, and it was just so INVOLVED.

Not the case when you use circuits! That poo poo sorts itself out automatically. The name of the game is automation. AUTOMATION. EVERYTHING CAN BE AUTOMATED. Absolutely everything can (and should) be automated!! It took me entirely too long to get that drilled into my head.

So it's in everyone's best interest to get familiar with circuits, and it's simpler than you think!
  • Craft yourself some green or red wires! I typically just use green wires, because green is cool, and red is for baddies. You can do A LOT of stuff with just wires.
  • Now stick those wires onto a couple of things, they'll stick to basically anything, even power poles. In fact, you'll want to stick it on at least one power pole so you can see what's on the signals.
  • Each time you stick to things together with wire, it consumes one wire. To cut it, use the same color wire on the 2 objects again to cut it, it won't refund the wire.
  • Now signals. typically, ITEMS are what make most signals. The ICONS of every item in the game make up signals. For instance, you hook up a chest of items to a network, that network will signal all the items inside that chest. (ex: 13 of the iron plates icon, etc). Remember to put a wire on a power-pole, so you can see what's on the network, to help you debug stuff.
  • The signals don't have to be items, sometimes they could just be other symbols, colors, or just generic numbers. But each signal (icon) must have a number associated with it.
  • You can hook up wires to inserters, allowing you to turn them on or off given certain conditions. Click the inserter to see a bunch of options (Ex: Inserter turns ON only when the number of items in a box is < 100, or something).
  • Same works with pumps. Hook pumps up to fluid tanks, set pumps to turn ON only when certain other fluids run low, or too high. (This here is how you manage oil)
  • You can hook up wires to train stops, so when a train parks there, it would output the train's entire contents to the network. But the train itself needs to stay in autopilot mode for this to work.
  • The other circuit thingies, like the comparators or arithmitatortots or whatever, are for more advanced stuff like nuclear power management. Turning inserters ON when steam levels are low, and OFF when they're high, for example. They're typically, IF this THEN this, type stuff. Pretty straightforward when you look at them, but can be a bit confusing if you're trying to figure out how they can be helpful by yourself. I don't use these objects often, as my brain is quite small, but I do use them. Luckily, the official wiki is FILLED with examples and basic tutorials for just about every aspect of the game.

I think that's pretty much it. Point is, it's nothing like minecraft redstone or whatever, and is actually really easy to understand. Just start hooking some stuff up with wires and play around with it a little.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My favourite easy circuit hack: Whenever I build a chest to store finished products I always wire the inserter to the chest and set the inserter to only work when the item in question is below a certain amount. It takes like an extra second per chest and it's just second-nature by now. The advantage to doing this is that you can still ctrl-click with an item in your hand to drop it in the chest. You can't do this if you've limited the chest manually by dragging the red X as it will act like the chest is full. It's not like a huge time saver or anything, but it makes it a fraction quicker and easier to dump excess when you're clearing out your inventory. This is redundant after you get proper logi-bots and chests though.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 10, 2019

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is there a way to make logistics network "buffer" chests? Like if I have a mall, that's fairly far away from where I'm doing stuff, is it possible to set up an intermediate chest nearby me that requests a stack or two of each mall item, so when I use an item the bots only have to travel to the on-site mall storage, rather than all the way to the mall and back?

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

Is there a way to make logistics network "buffer" chests? Like if I have a mall, that's fairly far away from where I'm doing stuff, is it possible to set up an intermediate chest nearby me that requests a stack or two of each mall item, so when I use an item the bots only have to travel to the on-site mall storage, rather than all the way to the mall and back?

Buffer chests are already an existing thing in game, they're the green ones. They were only just added in .16 I think.

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
So I decided to spend some time before .17 figuring out some circuits and creating practical uses. Which led to me creating this abomination:

The train stop is only enabled if the total ore more than 4K, while a train is stopped the stop is also disabled. All the chests are roughly averaged to have the same amount in them. The chunk of deciders at the top starts a counter that goes until it hits 30 minutes at which point the alarm goes off, it pauses when the ore is >4K.

Further enhancements:
-Disable timer while train is stopped, assuming the train will return after a idle condition is met
-Unsure how to reset timer entirely, would be preferable over pausing
-Section off most of the circuitry and use power lines to carry signals, most likely would require 'repeaters' (arithmetic or constant combinators) to prevent signal overlap

I assume a lot of people have already created hyper efficient versions of what I did, but was fun to figure this poo poo out.

Here is the blueprint book with all the individual parts broken up if anyone is interested.

https://pastebin.com/MPi0zRcg

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Canuckistan posted:

I can really appreciate the people who play this game at a whole different level than I do. There's the guys that worry about perfect ratios, taking costs into account, and can design complex assemblies on the fly. Then there's me slapping poo poo down until it mostly works and calling it good.

I feel the same way about football or chess. I find it fascinating that some people are seeing a whole metagame that I can't even comprehend.

Same. I don't design my factories; they metastasize. Expansion is a gross, organic process shaped by trial and error and my late game factories look like tangled strands of spaghetti.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Applewhite posted:

Same. I don't design my factories; they metastasize. Expansion is a gross, organic process shaped by trial and error and my late game factories look like tangled strands of spaghetti.
gently caress yeah, that's my favourite way to play the game. I could blow up cliffs but I like the challenge of building around them.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I got bored waiting for the new update and playing other games that all suffered from the same deal-breaking issue of "this game is not factorio" so started a new factory where I'm just buffering the ever-living-poo poo out of everything for no particular reason. Am using the Big Bags mod (which increases stack sizes), the Warehouse mod and Loaders to just vacuum up entire ore patches in as little time as possible and and distributing it everywhere from a massive centralised warehouse district.

It's poinless and dumb... but passes the time.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Man circuits were MADE for oil. When I first started playing, oil was so obnoxious. I would always end up with too much of something and it would slow the whole system, and I'd have to come in and crack something to get things moving again, and it was just so INVOLVED.

Not the case when you use circuits! That poo poo sorts itself out automatically. The name of the game is automation. AUTOMATION. EVERYTHING CAN BE AUTOMATED. Absolutely everything can (and should) be automated!! It took me entirely too long to get that drilled into my head.

I have been playing on and off for a but, but have never gotten around to messing with wires or logistics bots, or blueprints. My latest game I went for a few achievements (no logistics, laser turrets, or solar) and also made it a train game (resource patch occourance set to very few)

After setting up like the 15th power/mining/train station i think I am over it and ready for blueprints :negative:

Though I never found fluid management to be too hard. If I was getting bottlenecked at fluids I would click a refinery. If it was too full of one product I'd make a solid fuel chem plant for that. If it wasnt I needed more refineries. Wasnt too fiddly but if i wanted to do any megaprojects I can see how that would be less effective

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Applewhite posted:

I'm here trying to have it both ways, doing a AngelBobs run with no logistics bots selfchallenge

My first base is a tumorous, Lovecraftian "make it work" hellhole, while next door is a clean, meticulously designed factory.... That has taken 60 hours to make and still doesn't run yet because I'm stuck in a morass of "don't upgrade the old base", "make things by hand, by the hundreds” and ”the parts of the old base that DO work aren't getting supplied so I have to run materials back up"

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Applewhite posted:

Speaking of metastasis, at the 15 hour mark of my first game I have managed to automate blue science (mostly, I haven’t yet figured out how I’m going to route the engines over so I’m just stack-walking them). My inclination to space things out is butting up against my laziness and the results are getting hairy.

Babby’s first train stop! I almost ran out of coal completely before I realized my boilers were struggling.

I’m pretty sure this layout is going to cause me pain but I like the look of it

The pipes from my oil fields are not as long as the train tracks to my coal, but it’s close!

Getting cramped. Must spread out.

Also, the biters are starting to evolve at a frightening rate. I feel they are going to start becoming annoying very soon.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Willfrey posted:

Though I never found fluid management to be too hard. If I was getting bottlenecked at fluids I would click a refinery.

Sounds to me like someone isn't automating something in a game about automation.

Sure, you can do that and sometimes get bottlenecked in some fluid or another. Or you can use circuits and never ever get bottlenecked again at any point.

Here's what I do:
  • Set up oil as usual. And have 2 chem-plants set to cracking stuff. Heavy to light, and light to petroleum.
  • These chem-plants have PUMPS which are wired the storage tanks. The pumps will only turn on when when there's a SHORTAGE of something. (Ex: When petroleum is < 2k, light oil is being cracked)
  • Next, I set up more chem-plants to produce solid fuel of all 3 types. These chem-plants are also set up with pumps that only turn on when there's an EXCESS of something. (Ex: When there's > 22k heavy oil, we start making heavy oil fuel)
  • I run all the solid fuel to the boilers, sharing a belt-lane with coal. The boilers will use whatever fuel is available.

And that's it. Look at you getting slowed down and bottlenecked like some dumb nerd, having to go and babysit his oil when it goes boomboom instead of letting it manage itself automatically.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
lol what loser hasn't switched to 100% solar within minutes of getting oil boilers are for scrUBZ

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
People who want to see the world BURN :unsmigghh:

Also solar power is hella expensive.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Bikini At-Haul

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Is there a way to make your blueprints mark any conflicting objects for deletion when you pop them down?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Hold "Shift" when placing them. Works also when putting down single item placeholders.

This doesn't work for existing buildings/belts/etc... it only marks trees and rocks for removal.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

necrotic posted:

Hold "Shift" when placing them. Works also when putting down single item placeholders.

This doesn't work for existing buildings/belts/etc... it only marks trees and rocks for removal.

Well that's annoying. It would be nice to drop a 4x4 balancer on top of four belts without having to remove them first. Thanks for the tip though, will help with my rail laying.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
A useful tool for you circuit-molesters:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/combinatorgraph

Dietrich posted:

Well that's annoying. It would be nice to drop a 4x4 balancer on top of four belts without having to remove them first. Thanks for the tip though, will help with my rail laying.

Once you've marked the belts for removal you can put the balancer blueprint over the top before waiting for the bots to remove the belts, at least.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
If you like the idea/pressure/motivation of Lazy Bastard but don't want the hard limit:
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Stamina

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what loader mods do people use?i wanted to try to texago TA miners that were talked about earlier, the mod page for them says "recommended to use with loaders," and now that i've typed in "loader" into the mod search there's like 8 different options

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

ninjewtsu posted:

what loader mods do people use?i wanted to try to texago TA miners that were talked about earlier, the mod page for them says "recommended to use with loaders," and now that i've typed in "loader" into the mod search there's like 8 different options

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LoaderRedux are angel's loaders without having to run bobangels.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
https://mods.factorio.com/mods/therax/miniloader

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

ninjewtsu posted:

Loader redux is the only one you need

Also sorting the mod list by number of downloads is a thing. Popularity rankings and all that

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

I also got Angel's Warehouse mod to stick on the output of the TA miners in order to plug multiple loaders (up to 18!) into one miner.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Dietrich posted:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/LoaderRedux are angel's loaders without having to run bobangels.

M_Gargantua posted:

Loader redux is the only one you need

If you're a superficial dilettante like me and are bothered by how ugly the Redux loaders are, there's a mod that can be used to reskin them

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
MiniLoaders is the mod I use. The maker claims it's more UPS friendly than others available. They're also nice and small... only 1x1 instead of LoaderRedux's 1x2.

But you honestly can't go wrong with either MiniLoaders or LoaderRedux.

TigerXtrm
Feb 2, 2019

GotLag posted:

If you're a superficial dilettante like me and are bothered by how ugly the Redux loaders are, there's a mod that can be used to reskin them

Forgot I needed this. The base graphics are indeed terribad.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Fun with item transfers!

A fully-upgraded, 90° stack inserter moving from one inventory to another is faster than an express belt/loader.

This setup empties full coal wagons (2k each) in just under 5 seconds, and fills* the four red belts per wagon for about 15 seconds (I'm using a mod that increases belt density to match the upcoming changes in 0.17, so slightly longer without that).

Without the chest buffer you still get four compressed* red belts but the train has to wait the full 15 seconds to empty:

Note that the blue belts are required for compression

* there's a second or so each end where it's not compressed, due to items one side of the train having a longer path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
Is there a way to make SR latch that first reaches a value and then resets when the value drops to 0? I have a mining outpost with on-site smelters and I'd like the miners to turn off when the belt feeding the smelter backs up (ore > x) and turn back on when the belt is completely cleared (ore = 0). I can't figure out how to make this work when the reset signal is lower than the set signal. I don't think this has any benefits but I think it would be neat to look at.