Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Very much hoping some extremely patient goon decides to recreate the magic that was the Crete LP in a new version for Imperator: Rome. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Huh... i could have sworn all the pictures had died together with waffleimages and this legendary LP was lost, but looking through it now it seems like everything is there. Did someone add all the pics again like i think was planned years ago or am i remembering everything wrong?

Good time to read it again for sure, thanks.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Once Trump and Brexit happened Crete was revealed to be some loving Nostradamus poo poo, it turns out that real people would vote for real politicians with platforms based even more transparently on pure lies than goons voting to run poo poo into the ground because it's funny.

IRL goons are all relatively well-off angry retired white men apparently

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

knight armor pajamas in my google ads forever.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

RabidWeasel posted:

Once Trump and Brexit happened Crete was revealed to be some loving Nostradamus poo poo, it turns out that real people would vote for real politicians with platforms based even more transparently on pure lies than goons voting to run poo poo into the ground because it's funny.

The Crete LP was nuts but is something I hope still is remembered and studied because it is a fascinating look into human organizational dynamics and absolutely shows how insane poo poo like Brexit can happen.

That it wasn't fully preserved is a tragedy.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

knight armor pajamas in my google ads forever.

Lol wtf is up with that poo poo

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Is there a summary of all the interesting things of the Crete lp? I don’t have the ability to pull up the original thread.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm looking forward to Imperator. What I really disliked about Europa Universalis was how uninterested I was in colonization. I never liked the idea of splitting my attention between such different areas, especially with all the extra poo poo and mechanics I had to figure out. EU4 was bursting with extraneous systems to figure out, and I never even bought half of the "essential" systems.

That being said, I don't buy games at release because I'm cheap, and I have doubts to how well my computer can even run Imperator, because it's old and Paradox games are sometimes absolute pigs about performance because of their obsession with making pointless pretty map graphics on top of all the processing under the hood to make combat and politics work.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
The thread reaction in Crete when The archon used an enabling act to declare himself dictator for life, and the Senate would not have an advisory rather than legislative role, was so good. I need to buy archives and read it again if it's mostly still functional.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Ive got +1000 hours of both CK2 and EU4. Will I experience anything new or interesting if I pickup vicky2?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Ive got +1000 hours of both CK2 and EU4. Will I experience anything new or interesting if I pickup vicky2?

It's very different but it's hard to guess whether or not you'll actually like it even if you normally like Paradox games. It's very divisive. I think it's really interesting but I can easily understand why people bounce off of it.

One thing about it that you might find difficult is that it predates Paradox's shift in priorities to trying to make the UI more user friendly, so while it's not as bad as like, Hearts of Iron 3, it's going to be more confusing than CK2 or EU4.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

You will certainly experience new and interesting things in Vicky 2, the question is whether you'll like what you experience.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm looking forward to Imperator. What I really disliked about Europa Universalis was how uninterested I was in colonization. I never liked the idea of splitting my attention between such different areas, especially with all the extra poo poo and mechanics I had to figure out. EU4 was bursting with extraneous systems to figure out, and I never even bought half of the "essential" systems.

That being said, I don't buy games at release because I'm cheap, and I have doubts to how well my computer can even run Imperator, because it's old and Paradox games are sometimes absolute pigs about performance because of their obsession with making pointless pretty map graphics on top of all the processing under the hood to make combat and politics work.

This is actually a good point, I hate anything even vaguely approximating the naval and colonial aspects of the game in EU so theoretically just "EU with the new world removed" would be a better game for me.

My PC hasn't been upgraded for goddamn years and I think I just about cover the minimum requirements

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

You'll experience how much jank Paradox games used to ship with and how it's orders of magnitude better now.

Love Vicky 2 as I do, it's very much an Old Paradox game.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

I don't think my elderly PC can even run Imperator with its thousands of provinces - it manages EU4 okay but even that chugs late game.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone posted:

You'll experience how much jank Paradox games used to ship with and how it's orders of magnitude better now.

Love Vicky 2 as I do, it's very much an Old Paradox game.

Heh - you are like a little baby. Watch this [plays Ricky]

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pre-Ricky Vicky 1 was my first Paradox game and I probably have over a thousand hours in it over the years, easily.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Drone posted:

Pre-Ricky Vicky 1 was my first Paradox game and I probably have over a thousand hours in it over the years, easily.

How much of that is manually splitting /upgrading POPs?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Drone posted:

Yeah just using the meme format, I kind of assume most people in this thread are hardcore Paradox veterans. I started out with EU2 myself, no Svea Rike unfortunately

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Have any of the Imperator dev streams been worth watching, I heard that the first couple were a complete train wreck and kind of turned off paying attention.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think there's only been 2?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

RabidWeasel posted:

Have any of the Imperator dev streams been worth watching, I heard that the first couple were a complete train wreck and kind of turned off paying attention.

My recollection:

The first one was awful, rushing through the Rome tutorial stuff and not really paying enough attention to anything.

The second one was good and a huge improvement on the first one, showing Egypt and how monarchies work.

The third one was showing how tribal migration and colonisation works, but the vast majority that I remember was declaring a no CB war on a nation without checking it's allies then spending the rest of the session being smashed repeatedly by said allies.

The fourth one was back to the same Egypt save and was decent again.

The next stream I believe is a Dev Clash stream, so should be entertaining even if not necessarily informative like the others.

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 9, 2019

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

This is actually a good point, I hate anything even vaguely approximating the naval and colonial aspects of the game in EU so theoretically just "EU with the new world removed" would be a better game for me.

Imperator is centered around the Mediterranean so I may have some bad news for you about avoiding naval gameplay.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
And the original EU Rome had a huge focus on colonization to the point where most of france, germany and the balkans were represented as empty.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

Imperator is centered around the Mediterranean so I may have some bad news for you about avoiding naval gameplay.

By that I explicitly mean "having to manage troop transports over long distance", shuttling dudes between Greece and Egypt or Sicily isn't anywhere near the same degree of tedium.

Party In My Diapee posted:

And the original EU Rome had a huge focus on colonization to the point where most of france, germany and the balkans were represented as empty.

If your colonies are actually just border regions to your land empire it's not really the same situation imo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Colonization in Rome was just busy work. It was very boring and tedious

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

RabidWeasel posted:

By that I explicitly mean "having to manage troop transports over long distance", shuttling dudes between Greece and Egypt or Sicily isn't anywhere near the same degree of tedium.

If your colonies are actually just border regions to your land empire it's not really the same situation imo

Implicitly

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

It's kind of hard for me to tell from the prerelease stuff what the enjoyable/interesting gameplay loops will be, in the way that Vicky leans heavily on economics and internal political development, etc, and EU4 is entirely conquest-driven, and CK2 has a lot of dynastic and internal power struggle stuff. That's what I'm most curious about, whether it is a retread of EU4's whole setup of their being a lot of mechanics but ultimately they all revolve around a loop of conquering more territory, or whether the systems function in a way that make maintaining a non-expanding nation's internal politics, economy, and foreign relations interesting in and of itself. I hope it's the latter.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Red Bones posted:

It's kind of hard for me to tell from the prerelease stuff what the enjoyable/interesting gameplay loops will be, in the way that Vicky leans heavily on economics and internal political development, etc, and EU4 is entirely conquest-driven, and CK2 has a lot of dynastic and internal power struggle stuff. That's what I'm most curious about, whether it is a retread of EU4's whole setup of their being a lot of mechanics but ultimately they all revolve around a loop of conquering more territory, or whether the systems function in a way that make maintaining a non-expanding nation's internal politics, economy, and foreign relations interesting in and of itself. I hope it's the latter.

Historically Rome did plenty of both: conquering like mad, and then precariously balancing internal struggles and assimilation / pacification of conquered territories through appointing of politicians that were most often former consuls/praetors from wealthy families (which by themselves were a huge part of Rome's internal politics).

I am hoping for a mix of EU4 and CK2, with a sprinkle of pops. It could be pretty interesting

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
The emphasis on characters with "new, more human-like character art" is promising for that CK2 stuff, but despite reading the marketing and skimming a bunch of dev diaries, I'm still not clear on what you DO in the game. The diaries have mostly been about the systems that underlie the whole thing which I find hard to translate into actions. What's the basic fantasy here?

In CK2 it's: "Game of thrones your dynasty to lasting power while fending off threats from without and within."
In Eu4 it's: "Take control of any nation on earth and rewrite the colonial period of history."

In CK2 I'm a dynasty. In EU4 I'm a country. What am I in Imperator?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
A country. It's EU4 but with characters and pops to give you actual internal politics.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah just using the meme format, I kind of assume most people in this thread are hardcore Paradox veterans. I started out with EU2 myself, no Svea Rike unfortunately

Same, except I mostly played the AGCEEP mod for EU2.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TorakFade posted:

Historically Rome did plenty of both: conquering like mad, and then precariously balancing internal struggles and assimilation / pacification of conquered territories through appointing of politicians that were most often former consuls/praetors from wealthy families (which by themselves were a huge part of Rome's internal politics).

I am hoping for a mix of EU4 and CK2, with a sprinkle of pops. It could be pretty interesting

Yeah, I mean my argument is that even with those systems present on some level as part of the game's systems and simulation, it's hard to tell until it releases what the actual loop is going to be. In the period covered by EU4 a lot of things happened, but the game chooses to focus on territorial expansion rather than, say, social change, political reform, and technological progress. It's the difference between CK2, where fiddling with your kingdom's internal politics is engaging in and of itself, and EU4, where internal politics are also a game system but they are purely a choice between different bonuses (government reforms) or a puzzle of how many resources can you milk from several pools without destabilising your country through rebellions and greater autonomy (estates), with all of those interactions facilitating the main gameplay loop of conquest.

Even though it's kind of superfluous, I'd love some sort of monuments or cultural products system, which is something that I don't think has shown up in the prerelease stuff so far. Like a reward for really mastering the trading system and accumulating a lot of wealth is that you can dump all of your money into building a huge pyramid in your capital, or making all the little cities on your game map out of marble, with the ensuing international and domestic prestige that would come from being sort of the centre of wealth and culture in the known world, or having the biggest and fanciest temple for your particular religion.

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Phlegmish posted:

Just wanted to jump in and say that I only really got into Paradox games like...6 months ago? Maybe? I went searching for a Vicky 2 thread and found this instead. So not everyone here is a total veteran, but it's still good to hear the history of these games.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Same, I got HOI4 & Stellaris from Humble Bundle and that's my exposure to Paradox.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm in the upcoming Imperator dev clash, so everyone here should watch it because I'm probably going to die very quickly.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

trapped mouse posted:

Just wanted to jump in and say that I only really got into Paradox games like...6 months ago? Maybe? I went searching for a Vicky 2 thread and found this instead. So not everyone here is a total veteran, but it's still good to hear the history of these games.

Yeah there's not really enough activity around Vicky 2 to sustain a thread on its own so this is kind of the de facto "Victoria + General Paradox news" thread since every other Paradox game actually does have its own thread.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
someone willing to put in some work for a decent OP should make an imperator thread

I suggest "Carthagoon delenda est"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

someone willing to put in some work for a decent OP should make an imperator thread

I suggest "Carthagoon delenda est"
uhhhh, why do that when you can go with "salty carthagoons imperators"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Veni, Vidi, Victoria III