Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

bradzilla posted:

It always felt like someone was slowly dragging a knife through my intestines.

It sounds like maybe your mushrooms were laced with something. Razor blades perhaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Ariong posted:

It sounds like maybe your mushrooms were laced with something. Razor blades perhaps.

I got them from a goon that grew his own, so it's definitely plausible.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Big Mad Drongo posted:

I imagine a huge number of people have never had bread outside of stuff sold at a supermarket/brought out before meals at lousy restaurants and man oh man are they missing out.

There's probably a decent-to-great bakery in your neighborhood. If not, it's not hard to bake your own!

Everybody should learn to bake. Seriously, fresh baked bread whenever you want it? loving right.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

there's time for freshly baked bread in carb nightmares, this lard isn't going to render itself.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Everybody should learn to bake. Seriously, fresh baked bread whenever you want it? loving right.
It's very difficult with a lot of home ovens.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FactsAreUseless posted:

How so? Broken thermostats?

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

:yeah:

I seriously recommend Bernard Clayton's Complete Book of Bread, it's out of print but there are approximately 30 billion copies in existence so a used copy won't run you more than a few dollars. The recipes run the gamut from "beginner loaf that takes less than two hours from start to finish" (Cuban Bread is a great first loaf, and still my go-to sandwich bread) to insanely intricate breads that take days and multiple rises/kneads.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Eh, the best baker I know lives in an NYC shoebox with an oven from the 70s. If it can hit 400 degrees, it can bake bread.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not really. Buy an oven thermometer for $5

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

bradzilla posted:

Not really. Buy an oven thermometer for $5

:hmmyes:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

How so? Broken thermostats?
A lot of consumer ovens heat unevenly or just straight-up don't heat to the temp they say. Most Americans also don't ever buy an oven, they just use the one that came with their apartment/trailer/house.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
everyone getting all Ramses Smuckles itt

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Just buy an oven thermometer.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:ocelot: put it in the spot where you put the food even for accuracy.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

sneakyfrog posted:

:ocelot: put it in the spot where you put the food even for accuracy.

I love it when you talk dirty to me.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:froggonk:

shower well friend?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

FactsAreUseless posted:

A lot of consumer ovens heat unevenly or just straight-up don't heat to the temp they say. Most Americans also don't ever buy an oven, they just use the one that came with their apartment/trailer/house.

My oven doesn’t heat to the temp I set it to, but a $15 oven thermometer later and I’m able to use it for all sorts of things, including good bread. You can bake decent bread over a campfire with a bit of practice, so I don’t think “remember that I need to set it to 355F to get 325F” really counts as being very difficult.

Most people don’t care to try, which is a perfectly reasonable life choice. Very few would be unable to if they wanted to, though.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

everyone getting all Ramses Smuckles itt

man why you even got to do a thing

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

My oven doesn’t heat to the temp I set it to, but a $15 oven thermometer later and I’m able to use it for all sorts of things, including good bread. You can bake decent bread over a campfire with a bit of practice, so I don’t think “remember that I need to set it to 355F to get 325F” really counts as being very difficult.

Most people don’t care to try, which is a perfectly reasonable life choice. Very few would be unable to if they wanted to, though.
I'm glad these work so well for people. I grew up in a house with a very bad oven, so I quickly stopped trying to bake anything other than cookies.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
lowtax should buy you an oven thermometer

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I honestly never understood the point of oven thermometers until reading this thread, so thanks for that, I guess.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
This baking derail is a lot better than the drug derail so thanks everyone :tipshat:

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Candace Owens talking about how ovens are fine if just used at home and now the thread is getting on the oven bandwagon.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

jobson groeth posted:

Candace Owens talking about how ovens are fine if just used at home and now the thread is getting on the oven bandwagon.

:yikes:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:toot:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

lmao if you dont cook by dead reckoning.

including bad math, basically: X pasta/potatos/rice Y water Z meat in various pots & pans with a bunch of random stuff from the shelves, and amazingly it always works out. Clearly not restaurant grade, but if I make an effort its not either chili-blowjob grade.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

lmao if you dont cook by dead reckoning.

including bad math, basically: X pasta/potatos/rice Y water Z meat in various pots & pans with a bunch of random stuff from the shelves, and amazingly it always works out. Clearly not restaurant grade, but if I make an effort its not either chili-blowjob grade.

Cooking is way different than baking.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ah gently caress true.

once you get yeasts involved im out, it gets too complicated & i dont have the follow-through

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i should though. my folks have had a dark rye sourdough culture going since my childhood, they just keep making more

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elephant Ambush posted:

This baking derail is a lot better than the drug derail so thanks everyone :tipshat:

god drat it now i wanna see joose cookies

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Cooking is easy. Even dumb lazy me can cook decently.

Baking is a loving science and it's hard as gently caress to do well. I admire skilled bakers.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Subjunctive posted:

If your oven uses a knob it's probably a 2-piece. If you pull it off and see screws on the back you can calibrate the knob to match what your thermometer says. Just fire it up to 325 or whatever, pull the knob, loosen the screws, turn the face until it lines up at 325 and tighten it back up.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MisterOblivious posted:

If your oven uses a knob it's probably a 2-piece. If you pull it off and see screws on the back you can calibrate the knob to match what your thermometer says. Just fire it up to 325 or whatever, pull the knob, loosen the screws, turn the face until it lines up at 325 and tighten it back up.

It’s digital, and it’s not a consistent offset. :(

I need to just order the part and get around to replacing the thermostat unit.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I made some lafa bread last week to go with a bowl of hummus and it was fun, you just bake it in a skillet! Making bread without getting an oven involved is a fun first step towards more involved bakery. I also live in a place with a shoebox kitchen so getting all the flours and bowls and stuff out is always a bit of a chore, one-bowl flatbread wins every time.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
lol at americans thinking that it's actually impossible to bake your own bread

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I have no idea what the poster above me is talking about. Does anyone else?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

lol at americans thinking that it's actually impossible to bake your own bread

*That’s* the comment you choose to write before this link in your chain probation kicks in?

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 13:50 on Feb 9, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Proteus Jones posted:

*That’s* the comment you choose to write before this link in your chain probation kicks in?

Truly the upper crust of posting.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Proteus Jones posted:

Why else do you think he's chain probated? Not a good poster. Worse than me, even.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Solice Kirsk posted:

Truly the upper crust of posting.

He really kneaded to make that post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Elephant Ambush posted:

He really kneaded to make that post.

He heard "let's get this bread," but he didn't fully understand. What a crumby intellect.