Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

If I take frozen chicken out of the freezer, thaw it for 24h in the fridge, cook with it, and then put it in a tupperware container, can I refreeze it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Suspect Bucket posted:

Yep, 7 pages back.

You can totally use puree, just throw a honked up fresh tomato in there for some bulk
Hah! I actually took this one down when I saw it 7 pages ago but I didnt realize it was you that posted it. My wife doesnt like dark meat chicken so I doubt I'll ever make it, though :\

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hah! I actually took this one down when I saw it 7 pages ago but I didnt realize it was you that posted it. My wife doesnt like dark meat chicken so I doubt I'll ever make it, though :\

Just take it off the bone and cube it up, don't let her know unless she asks. If you use breast meat, it gets all stringy.

It also keeps for a week in the fridge, so you could make a half portion and eat on it for a lunch or two.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Qubee posted:

If I take frozen chicken out of the freezer, thaw it for 24h in the fridge, cook with it, and then put it in a tupperware container, can I refreeze it?

Yep. Once you cook it, the timer more or less resets.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

DasNeonLicht posted:

This is not very creative, but I'd saute a garlic clove, add the riced cauliflower, brown it a bit, cover it to steam / cook through / braise (maybe add a tablespoon or two of water) for 5 or 10 minutes, uncover, add your favorite seasoning (I would use smoked paprika), and cook until most of the juices are gone. I do this with riced broccoli or shredded brussels sprouts, and it always turns out tender and caramelized and flavorful. Don't forget the salt!

Thanks! The family really enjoyed this more than the “just steam” and now I think I have a good blueprint to build on :)

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

totalnewbie posted:

Any thoughts about quick/easy dishes to use up tomato puree other than some sort of marinara sauce?

Lots of options for curries that use tomato puree in abundance.

Shakshuka.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I made up some kimchi following Kenji’s vegan recipe (skipping the radish, to spare my fiancée some of the funk). I ended up using about 2 pounds of cabbage and there’s quite a bit of liquid. I put it in my crock and covered the top with one of my glass bowls so I can view it as the fermentation progresses.

How long do people typically ferment it for (at room temp)? His recipe said 1 day but I thought that sounded a bit short.

Next step is to figure out where to use it. Probably some stews are in order at least.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Eeyo posted:

I made up some kimchi following Kenji’s vegan recipe (skipping the radish, to spare my fiancée some of the funk). I ended up using about 2 pounds of cabbage and there’s quite a bit of liquid. I put it in my crock and covered the top with one of my glass bowls so I can view it as the fermentation progresses.

How long do people typically ferment it for (at room temp)? His recipe said 1 day but I thought that sounded a bit short.

Next step is to figure out where to use it. Probably some stews are in order at least.

I've done mine for like 5-6 days but don't use that exact recipe so not sure if there is less salt etc.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

That's too personal a question. It depends on how thin you shredded and your ambient temperature, but it also transforms over time.

The tart backbone will be very mild at 1 day. Like almost imperceptible. The spices will taste good (I'm about done eating the gallon I made two years ago) but I prefer a good deal of lacto activity, which will take at least a week.

For a 1/8ish sliced, around 70°F:
1 day: very crisp, spice-heavy flavor
5 days: still crisper than any commercial variety, more complexity. I start tasting here daily and refrigerate when I really think it's special, usually around day 8

You can go weeks and months as long as you don't mind a more tender texture, it never really falls apart. Only thing you need to do is ensure it never dries out to the point of air touching cabbage, because that's how you get fuzz. Nothing you can't scoop off, but it can tank the texture quick.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

That Works posted:

I've done mine for like 5-6 days but don't use that exact recipe so not sure if there is less salt etc.

It's kind of hard to tell past all the gochugaru and garlic. I'd estimate about as salty as sea water. I'd say I put in ~ 3 tbsp of fine sea salt, so about 18-20 grams after factoring in the miso for 2 lbs of cabbage (plus 1 cup water).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Kimchi is fine to eat as soon as you get the paste on. Unless it's super warm out, I usually get it go on the counter for 2 days or so, until I start to see some bubbles.

Just don't forget to keep some around and let it age. Old kimchi is fantastic as jjigae.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yeah I do a week on the countertop (with poo poo blowing out the lid the whole time) and then into the fridge for a couple of months. Only then do we start eating it cause we like it soft and funky. I've never kept any over about 18 months, but that was fine too.

I'm making 1 gallon batches btw.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Qubee posted:

Yep. In my experience the changes from cooking mean you don't get the kind of texture weirdness that can happen with multiple freezes. But I wouldn't thaw and freeze it again.

Casu Marzu posted:

Kimchi is fine to eat as soon as you get the paste on.

Fresh kimchi is good. Eat kimchi at all stages of the process, fresh/normal/old are all distinctly different experiences. As long as you used enough salt and it isn't moldy you can eat it.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Fresh kimchi is good. Eat kimchi at all stages of the process, fresh/normal/old are all distinctly different experiences. As long as you used enough salt and it isn't moldy you can eat it.

Yup. Same for sauerkraut, too.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Favorite brunch "side" smoothie recipes? My wife is doing Galentine's day tomorrow for friends and yesterday we got edible arrangements, which means lots of strawberries, pineapple, grapes and cantelope.

I usually make smoothies as a main breakfast, which means add Greek yogurt, almonds + oats and topped with granola + coconut flakes to make it more hearty, but I've been to a couple hotels which served a small side smoothie that didn't have to be as nutritionally balanced.

Doesn't have to use what we got yesterday, that just triggered the idea.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Frozen banana goes great in smoothies for texture, sweetness, and bulk.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

A weird derail in another thread introduced me to laffa bread. It seems ideal for me because I'm currently "squatting" in a friend's basement after losing my job and apartment. Cheap, easy carbs I can throw bulk lentils on, and not clog up my gracious hosts' kitchen for hours on end? Sign me up.

Most of the recipes call for making a whole lot more than I'd need, and I'd want to do a smallish batch to start just to make sure I'm doing it right. Can I scale down something like this:

https://www.joyofkosher.com/recipes/laffa-bread/

...just by simple division? Or do amounts of sugar and yeast and whatnot scale algorithmic when it comes to dough?

I'm good at cooking, but baking is still something of a mystery to me, being a science, not an art. If you saw me after I made my first no-knead bread, you'd think I'd just won a Nobel Prize, the way I was patting myself on the back.

tl, dr: Laffa bread. School me.

edit: also, a lot of the recipes imply that one has a mixer with a dough hook, which I do not. I have many other hand kitchen implements, and some small but strong arms. If I can make whipped cream by hand, am I qualified to mix this dough?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 9, 2019

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I need ground Szechuan peppercorns for a recipe, but I was only able to find whole ones. My understanding is that you want to use only the husks and ignore the seeds themselves, but fortunately the bag I bought is mostly shells. That being said, what's the best way to grind these up? I have a mortar & pestle and a small food processor, and I've also been looking for an excuse to buy an actual pepper mill that I can re-use (even if it's just a cheap one).

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

Use the mortar and pestle and buy a dedicated spice grinder to use in the future. A pepper mill will be too slow and a hassle to change out the spices.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

JacquelineDempsey posted:

A weird derail in another thread introduced me to laffa bread. It seems ideal for me because I'm currently "squatting" in a friend's basement after losing my job and apartment. Cheap, easy carbs I can throw bulk lentils on, and not clog up my gracious hosts' kitchen for hours on end? Sign me up.

Most of the recipes call for making a whole lot more than I'd need, and I'd want to do a smallish batch to start just to make sure I'm doing it right. Can I scale down something like this:

...just by simple division? Or do amounts of sugar and yeast and whatnot scale algorithmic when it comes to dough?

I'm good at cooking, but baking is still something of a mystery to me, being a science, not an art. If you saw me after I made my first no-knead bread, you'd think I'd just won a Nobel Prize, the way I was patting myself on the back.

edit: also, a lot of the recipes imply that one has a mixer with a dough hook, which I do not. I have many other hand kitchen implements, and some small but strong arms. If I can make whipped cream by hand, am I qualified to mix this dough?

It's easy with any method in my experience, but make a full size batch and freeze extra 👍

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Human Tornada posted:

Use the mortar and pestle and buy a dedicated spice grinder to use in the future. A pepper mill will be too slow and a hassle to change out the spices.

Thanks, I might actually have a cheap herb grinder somewhere so I'll have to see if that works. Any recommendations on a particular grinder?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I think it would scale linearly. Presumably with bread, the yeast will start off at some concentration (billions of cells per pound or whatever) and then divide/eat up the sugars until the bread is leavened. So if you started off with less yeast it will take proportionally longer to properly leaven the dough. Same goes for the sugar, usually it's added so the yeast have an easy source of carbohydrates to eat.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'm trying to figure out pizza dough. Used this basic recipe twice over (with less water and a lot more flour on the second try):

Rapid rise yeast 2 Teaspoon
Sugar 1 Tablespoon
Warm water 1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)
Oil 4 Tablespoon (3 - 4 tablespoons)
Plain flour 3 Cup (48 tbs) (2 1/2 - 3 cups)

The resulting dough is extremely sticky, doesn't really rise, and is hard to mix. What am I missing / adding that doesn't work?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xander77 posted:

I'm trying to figure out pizza dough. Used this basic recipe twice over (with less water and a lot more flour on the second try):

Rapid rise yeast 2 Teaspoon
Sugar 1 Tablespoon
Warm water 1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)
Oil 4 Tablespoon (3 - 4 tablespoons)
Plain flour 3 Cup (48 tbs) (2 1/2 - 3 cups)

The resulting dough is extremely sticky, doesn't really rise, and is hard to mix. What am I missing / adding that doesn't work?
If it's too sticky then you need more flour. If it doesn't rise your yeast is hosed up or you're not waiting long enough or it's not in a warm enough place. What do you mean by hard to mix - like, with a spoon? You can't really mix dough with a spoon once it's mostly come together - you have to knead it by hand.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If it's too sticky then you need more flour. If it doesn't rise your yeast is hosed up or you're not waiting long enough or it's not in a warm enough place. What do you mean by hard to mix - like, with a spoon? You can't really mix dough with a spoon once it's mostly come together - you have to knead it by hand.
I kinda assumed my yeast was hosed, but the recommended test of "2 tsp yeast + 1 tsp sugar in 1/4 cup of warm water" worked - the mixture rose to about 3/4 of the cup.

The dough is just too sticky and viscous to knead, even as I pour more flour in.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I kinda assumed my yeast was hosed, but the recommended test of "2 tsp yeast + 1 tsp sugar in 1/4 cup of warm water" worked - the mixture rose to about 3/4 of the cup.

The dough is just too sticky and viscous to knead, even as I pour more flour in.

If you wanna keep monkeying around with the current dough you have, you need to learn alternative kneading techniques.

The dough you're working with is what, 70% hydration? 80% maybe. That's way too loose to do the standard kneading with your palms. You want to do a slap and fold or stretch and fold knead instead.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBO4XyL3iM

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 10, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Xander77 posted:

One problem solved!

Xander77 posted:

Then you either need to add more flour or find out a way to knead very sticky dough (or both).

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Anyone know how to make jook/congee overnight in a Zojirushi rice cooker? I have a porridge setting but I'm not sure what my ratios should be and if it can stand sitting for 8 hours.

Calrose if it matters

e: I know it has a mark on the bowl, I'm just wondering if it's correct or if I should be worried about overnighting it.

Also, what's good that's low-sodium to add? I'm doing vegetables, egg, and aminos right now.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 10, 2019

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Also, what's good that's low-sodium to add? I'm doing vegetables, egg, and aminos right now.
Dried shiitake mushrooms.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

If you wanna keep monkeying around with the current dough you have, you need to learn alternative kneading techniques.

The dough you're working with is what, 70% hydration? 80% maybe. That's way too loose to do the standard kneading with your palms. You want to do a slap and fold or stretch and fold knead instead.

Example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbBO4XyL3iM
Ok. That's very much what my dough looks and feels like, so I'm going to try that out next time, if it's still so sticky.

But... how do I avoid it being that sticky to begin with? Less water? More flour? Different sort of flour? Non-dry yeast?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Anyone know how to make jook/congee overnight in a Zojirushi rice cooker? I have a porridge setting but I'm not sure what my ratios should be and if it can stand sitting for 8 hours.

Calrose if it matters

e: I know it has a mark on the bowl, I'm just wondering if it's correct or if I should be worried about overnighting it.

Use the timer function. The rice will be fine soaking for however long.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Quick and creative uses for ricotta cheese?

I made my first batch of homemade ricotta cheese last week. So far I've used it: spread on toast with strawberries or jelly; pesto ricotta pizza (with they whey in place of water in the dough).

My 2-year-old adores it, and I want to make a batch every week. What are some quick (10 minutes or less) ways I can use ricotta? Omelettes? Spread on toast? ... I'm out of ideas.

Also, how long will ricotta last in the fridge? I make with homogenized pastuerized whole milk and heavy cream. The milk lasts 10-14 days in the fridge before smelling sour (though we usually drink it all before then). The cream lasts 3-4 weeks. Will the ricotta last as long?

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003
Ginger beer mixers?

I'm going to brew ginger beer (this recipe). I like ginger beers and Moscow Mules, but I always wondered what else you can mix it with.

Orange juice? Lemonade? Tomato juice? What are your go-to mixers for ginger beer?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Thanks, I might actually have a cheap herb grinder somewhere so I'll have to see if that works. Any recommendations on a particular grinder?

I've had the Krups F203 for a decade and it's been flawless.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Bagheera posted:

Ginger beer mixers?

I'm going to brew ginger beer (this recipe). I like ginger beers and Moscow Mules, but I always wondered what else you can mix it with.

Orange juice? Lemonade? Tomato juice? What are your go-to mixers for ginger beer?

Dark rum

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Xander77 posted:

Ok. That's very much what my dough looks and feels like, so I'm going to try that out next time, if it's still so sticky.

But... how do I avoid it being that sticky to begin with? Less water? More flour? Different sort of flour? Non-dry yeast?

Find a different recipe? There's a million pizza crust recipes out there. What kind of style are you trying to replicate?

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Bagheera posted:

Ginger beer mixers?

Any tart fruit juice would go well with it, I think -- 100% cranberry juice, grapefruit juice... Here are some classic highballs of the top of my head:
  • Dark and stormy: black rum (Gosling's!), ginger beer, lime juice
  • Gin buck: gin, ginger beer, lemon juice
  • Mamie Taylor: scotch (Teacher's is good for mixing), ginger beer, lime juice
Everyone has different tastes, but I think the key to these drinks is not to be shy with the citrus juice. I'd typically mix (1.5–2.0 oz. spirit) + (4.0–6.0 oz mixer) + (one-quarter to one-half a lemon or lime's juice). Your homebrewed ginger beer might be much less sweet than commercial non-alcoholic ginger beers, though, so you'll have to play around.

Now I really want to try a twist on the Cape Codder — I think you could do it with ginger beer with a splash of cranberry juice or vice versa

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bagheera posted:

Quick and creative uses for ricotta cheese?

I made my first batch of homemade ricotta cheese last week. So far I've used it: spread on toast with strawberries or jelly; pesto ricotta pizza (with they whey in place of water in the dough).

My 2-year-old adores it, and I want to make a batch every week. What are some quick (10 minutes or less) ways I can use ricotta? Omelettes? Spread on toast? ... I'm out of ideas.

Also, how long will ricotta last in the fridge? I make with homogenized pastuerized whole milk and heavy cream. The milk lasts 10-14 days in the fridge before smelling sour (though we usually drink it all before then). The cream lasts 3-4 weeks. Will the ricotta last as long?

ricotta gnocci

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Human Tornada posted:

I've had the Krups F203 for a decade and it's been flawless.

Hey those are cheaper than I thought they'd be, I'll have to pick one up sometime. Thanks.