Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

gently caress. Sorry dude, that's loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

colachute posted:

a friend of mine's dad got assaulted. he's from india and a sikh, and proudly wears his dastaar (the traditional headwear).

you can see where i'm going with this.

i'm so loving pissed right now.

You should walk around with a weapon looking for a redneck to take revenge on.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

psydude posted:

It's not hard when they have MAGA stickers on pick-up trucks, and probably a Punisher, S&W or HK no compromises sticker

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

psydude posted:

in 2019 that would probably end in a net gain for everyone

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Suicide Watch posted:

It's not hard when they have MAGA stickers on pick-up trucks, and probably a Punisher, S&W or HK no compromises sticker

Molon labe, NRA,

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/MtStHelensWA/status/1093973365700743168

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Milo and POTUS posted:

Molon labe, NRA,

Can't forget the confederate flag. Not just a sticker, but a PVC pipe bolted to the truck bed with a 7 foot flag (maybe 2 if they're feeling saucey) fluttering in the breeze. Also some variation of "football not kneeball" bumper sticker poo poo.

Seriously though, that is awful and I'm sorry he went through that.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Elizabeth Warren has officially thrown her hat in the ring. The hat has likeability issues.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
There's nothing unlikeable about Warren. Unlike Booker who is corny in the incredibly cringy way, she's corny in the old aunt who can't keep up with all these meimeis way. Also she's got the best track record of calling the finance world on their bullshit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
https://twitter.com/thenation/status/1094054539102175233

We're all going to die and the world as we know it will be ruined before we're old men.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Don't worry, Jesus will be back any loving second.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

China seems to have learned everything it wanted from Varyag and is now selling it to Pakistan

https://thenewsrep.com/113771/china-to-sell-its-first-and-only-aircraft-carrier-to-pakistan/

quote:

The Chinese Navy plans to replace the Liaoning with up to six nuclear-powered aircraft carriers. The Chinese government announced its plans to have six carrier battlegroups by 2035. Aside from being potent machines of naval warfare, aircraft carriers serve as the ideal foreign policy tools. For example, just the appearance of an American aircraft carrier close to the shores of a country could deter actions hostile to U.S. interests. Considering China is vying to replace America as the world’s superpower, the expansion is necessary.

A Nuclear powered Kuznetsov knock-off sounds loving hilarious

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
lmao

https://twitter.com/truongasm/status/1094108520658563072?s=21

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tHeY dEsErVe iT bEcAuSe tHeY gEnErAtE vAlUe

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Vasudus posted:

We're all going to die and the world as we know it will be ruined before we're old men.

quote:

We have a finite amount of time left to coexist with significant parts of the biosphere, including glaciers, coral, and thousands of species of plants, animals, and insects. We’re going to have to learn how to say goodbye to them, part of which should involve doing everything we humanly can to save whatever is left, even knowing that the odds are stacked against us.

Maybe it's time to book one more trip to Belize to visit family and see the coral reef before it's all dust.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
can't we make more reefs by sinking some carrier battle groups?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Vasudus posted:

Not making me feel good as a parent.

I went to the beach this summer and it was the warmest I had ever seen. The heat would warm the pool up to be at least 80 degrees.

I read somewhere that we should look at the ocean floor as basically an underwater desert. Part of fixing that problem is helping things live there. Something also about how iron dust helps promote growth. Not sure how true it is.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Edgar posted:

can't we make more reefs by sinking some carrier battle groups?

The coral themselves are dying off from increased heat and acidity from dissolved CO2 so there's nothing there to grow and maintain the reef structure.

You could make some sick artificial harbours though!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Soulex posted:

Not making me feel good as a parent.

I went to the beach this summer and it was the warmest I had ever seen. The heat would warm the pool up to be at least 80 degrees.

I read somewhere that we should look at the ocean floor as basically an underwater desert. Part of fixing that problem is helping things live there. Something also about how iron dust helps promote growth. Not sure how true it is.

It's called Iron Fertilization. The idea being that you seed a fuckton of (digestible/degradable to bacteria) iron to areas that have been previously depleted. The presence of that iron spurns bacteria and plankton, which not only reinforce the rapidly depleting food chain but also serves as effective carbon capture.

So the first Deus Ex Remake (Human Revolution) actually kinda covered that. The endgame location was a device called Panchea which really was an absolutely colossal (several miles wide) metal tube in the Arctic ocean that went down to the floor. It was going to be a sort of planetary filter that would strain out things like stray uranium (there's more uranium in the oceans than buried in rocks) and seed the ocean with iron particulates to fix the ecosystem. Of course this was a fantasy project that even in the ingame lore was unlikely to succeed.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/faithgoldy/status/1093978545662025728?s=21

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

counterpoint:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v_3oTrclIQ

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Vasudus posted:

It's called Iron Fertilization. The idea being that you seed a fuckton of (digestible/degradable to bacteria) iron to areas that have been previously depleted. The presence of that iron spurns bacteria and plankton, which not only reinforce the rapidly depleting food chain but also serves as effective carbon capture.

So the first Deus Ex Remake (Human Revolution) actually kinda covered that. The endgame location was a device called Panchea which really was an absolutely colossal (several miles wide) metal tube in the Arctic ocean that went down to the floor. It was going to be a sort of planetary filter that would strain out things like stray uranium (there's more uranium in the oceans than buried in rocks) and seed the ocean with iron particulates to fix the ecosystem. Of course this was a fantasy project that even in the ingame lore was unlikely to succeed.

Are we waiting for more research regarding iron fertilization or is there a drawback? The stats I read made it sound incredible and more than tripled the salmon population in an area after a year.

Never played Deus Ex, I missed a lot of really good games that I just didn't and don't have time for. That and I'm on OSX and almost nothing gets released for it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Sashay Shante

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

gently caress off and die faith goldy

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Deus Ex is worth jumping through whatever hoops you gotta jump through to make it work.

On the topic of missing out on games, has there even been a truly great groundbreaking game since HL2 or Portal?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Titanfall 2 if you're just talking FPS

Witcher 3 in general

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

shame on an IGA posted:

Deus Ex is worth jumping through whatever hoops you gotta jump through to make it work.

On the topic of missing out on games, has there even been a truly great groundbreaking game since HL2 or Portal?

Uh, define "groundbreaking"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im prolly the only guy here to say mgsv but yeah mgsv

also whatever the first battle royale game was that everyone copied

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Bolow posted:

A Nuclear powered Kuznetsov knock-off sounds loving hilarious

The Chinese are planning on building actual flatdecks, they've got a conventional one building now and IIRC just laid down the keel for the first CVN.

I'm more skeptical of the planned Indian CVN if anything, considering the history of Indian military procurement. They've made a MBT that doesn't work, a light jet that's a bigger boondoggle than the F-35B, and a AK47 clone that's so bad they had to buy AKs to replace it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Depending on what you want to play.

I enjoyed watching Soma for the nice narrative they did. Same with Until Dawn.

Mass Effect 1-3 was such a good story and game play but the ending was dumb as gently caress.

Fallout 4 was fun.

The new Apex is also supposedly really loving good.

I like online cooperative and comp games. Ones that are immersive.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Vasudus posted:

Welp, time to up my antidepressant dosage.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Apex is interesting because it actually makes playing a BR with pubbies tolerable, which is a huge plus for me because there's not really any room in my lifestyle for coordinating online games with friends

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You should play apex if you want to see what a BR game is because its well designed, f2p with no p2w mechanics and its only been out for 4 days.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I've never really liked BR games tbh, but I'd try this one if it was on osx

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

shame on an IGA posted:

I don't know about an individual game but god what an age for indie programmers. I've put on like 25 hours in into the breach in 4 days and I'm gonna play a pretty good roguelike... right now actually.

BigDave posted:

This is actually a thing btw. A lot of people (the ones who aren't pieces of poo poo) are absolutely despondent with the way things are going

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 9, 2019

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Problem is that games have gone away from being "groundbreaking" in their individual areas. Valve sure hasn't done anything for some time.

If you're looking for independent game darlings, there's a few. Undertale had amazing character dynamics. Return of the Obra Dinn is a completely unique experience. Resident Evil 7 remade the horror game formula again, and the recent Resident Evil 2 remake isn't half bad either.

As far as something medium defining? Nothing recently, at least from big name studios. Indie developers are in drat near a golden age though.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pfft, Helens blew their load already, Rainier's way girthier and has been edging for the past 10,000 years

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

shame on an IGA posted:

Breath of the Wild because it's probably the first game with physics that make intuitive sense and doesn't care if you break the game in unintended ways. A lot of puzzles that involve rolling giant balls through mazes or moving platforms can just be brute forced with enough bombs or just using the first movable bridge you find as a catapult to launch it straight to the end.

There's a lot of insane stuff you can do with Stasis too.

https://twitter.com/Venick409/status/839533795862786048?s=19

Or just skipping the entire game (although this one uses a couple of unintended functions)

https://twitter.com/Zants/status/1029798157092376576?s=19

It's very cool cause it feels like a bit of Nintendo Labo was injected into the game. a lot of the creative things you can do with the game are more akin to picking up something with your hands and intuitively fiddling with it rather than playing A Game.

Eej fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 9, 2019

bengy81
May 8, 2010

BigDave posted:

I've been legit thinking about going on some, living with existential dread is pretty rough.

I was driving back from the airport last night and while trying to find a basketball or hockey game to listen to, I found the local conservative talk radio. They were talking about the green new deal and the "absurdity" of having to give up beef and cars, they were laughing about it like its a big joke. I wonder if there is ever gonna be a way to make those types understand whats happening, maybe when we have to eat worm protein burgers cuz beef is too expensive?

I've basically cut my red meat intake back to nothing, and I'm working on fixing other habits, but honestly, it feels like too little too late.

Ever get the feeling we were fleeced out of a future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

BigDave posted:

Same.