Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Pick posted:

miles o brien got like 2 sessions with a therapist after spending 20 Mind Years drawing sand boobs with ee'char

Why didn’t they just erase the memory like Pulaski did to those primitives or have a Vulcan wipe it like Spock did to help Kirk get over Flint’s daughter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Ug can you believe what those deviants are up to these days

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ug can you believe what those deviants are up to these days

Looking for the waste-sucker room at your friend's house, you wander into a room full of pillows. There's a mattress in there that's like a normal one, but it's all SOFT and SPRINGY. There's not even anyplace to secure restraints.

You just back out. Thrang, you kinky motherfucker. Who knew.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Miss posted:

garak was suddenly overcome with horniness over bashir's incredible talent for lying and couldn't be around him anymore
obviously
this tracks, because the first time garak sees him after the reveal is on the bridge of the defiant making crazy calculations in his head and garaks response is to get really shirty with him, which as garak pointed out with dukat/kira is big time cardassian flirting

also disco episode 4 was good, though saru's bit didn't make a huge amount of sense if you didn't see the short webisode things

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Brawnfire posted:

Looking for the waste-sucker room at your friend's house, you wander into a room full of pillows. There's a mattress in there that's like a normal one, but it's all SOFT and SPRINGY. There's not even anyplace to secure restraints.

The worst of all; Comfortable clothing that isn't made of leather and metal studs, but soft cloth like the humans wear!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Brawnfire posted:

"Oh sailor, you wanna spoon? Well, that's gonna be extra."

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
disco was good this week i am an idiot who bought that they might kill saru off because game of thrones so i got quite emotional

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

lol but seriously I posted:

disco was good this week i am an idiot who bought that they might kill saru off because game of thrones so i got quite emotional

Same, because it got me thinking during that scene if we saw anything with Saru in promo material past this episode, and I’m pretty sure we didn’t.

So, gently caress you Disco writers, you got me.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.

Xenocides posted:

Why didn’t they just erase the memory like Pulaski did to those primitives or have a Vulcan wipe it like Spock did to help Kirk get over Flint’s daughter?

Bashir said something about him actually having 20 years of memory so he’d have to wipe it all out or something. Also sisko ordered miles to go to all the therapy sessions until therapist said he was good to go. They just don’t show it because that would be boring.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

PenisMonkey posted:

Bashir said something about him actually having 20 years of memory so he’d have to wipe it all out or something. Also sisko ordered miles to go to all the therapy sessions until therapist said he was good to go. They just don’t show it because that would be boring.

It obviously didn’t take. A good therapist probably would’ve led him to conclude to quit his loveless and stifling marriage. A prison of his own choosing.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 9, 2019

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Just can’t help some people, ya know

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Automatic Slim posted:

It obviously didn’t take. A good therapist probably would’ve led him to conclude to quit his loveless and stifling marriage. A prison of his own choosing.

Sometimes you just let two codependent unhappy people stay together to contain their misery.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Xenocides posted:

Sometimes you just let two codependent unhappy people stay together to contain their misery.

DS9 turning Roddenberry’s utopia on its head, I guess it’s refreshing to see unhappy, unfulfilled, frustrated people in the 24th century.

In the far, far future there is only ennui.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Automatic Slim posted:

DS9 turning Roddenberry’s utopia on its head, I guess it’s refreshing to see unhappy, unfulfilled, frustrated people in the 24th century.

In the far, far future there is only ennui.

keiko & obrien were a perfectly functional couple that only lost one of their children in a time hole and even that kinda never really happened

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

lol but seriously I posted:

keiko & obrien were a perfectly functional couple that only lost one of their children in a time hole and even that kinda never really happened

The problem is that technology should have fixed a lot of their marital problems but they came across as petty in many of their interactions.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xenocides posted:

Miles just needed to shut her Cakehole every now and then.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

New Star Trek series Idea: Follow the life of the captain’s husband or wife negotiating raising a family on the ship. Never show the captain on screen. Hint and tease at exciting events in the background but focus on the domestic angle and that part of the crew. Put in a laugh track.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arcsquad12 posted:

Miles just needed to shut her Cakehole every now and then.

Is that code for eating rear end

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenocides posted:

The problem is that technology should have fixed a lot of their marital problems but they came across as petty in many of their interactions.

That's probably my #1 spergy problem I have with a lot of trek and scifi writing in general. They'll do all this worldbuilding to create a pretty much post-scarcity paradise with magic technology and run with that, but then some write thinks "I want to do an episode that shows humans are still humans (what ever that means) and have human problems!" but are too lazy to explore the actual cultural changes all this technology would bring and instead just shows a couple upset about doing the dishes or making dinner in a world with replicators because "married couples fight about domestic chores" and they can't write outside of that box or worry the idiot viewer wouldn't be able to relate otherwise.

"Computer, replicate the most vile fried irish food imaginable, but give it the nutrients and health benefits of my wife's weird seaweed and plankton poo poo"
done

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 9, 2019

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Xenocides posted:

they came across as petty in many of their interactions.

they had a normal amount of tension that comes with two people with distinct minds cohabiting somebody has already ran the numbers

Xenocides posted:

technology should have fixed a lot of their marital problems

this is 1960s strength sci-fi utopianism

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bobby Deluxe posted:

this tracks, because the first time garak sees him after the reveal is on the bridge of the defiant making crazy calculations in his head and garaks response is to get really shirty with him, which as garak pointed out with dukat/kira is big time cardassian flirting

and the episode where miles almost gets laid with the engineer lady

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Tilly has got absolutely magnificent hair.

Also I like the idea of the universal translator being hosed with so no one can communicate with each other. Would be a terrifying and debilitating thing to suddenly happen to a crew.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Xenocides posted:

New Star Trek series Idea: Follow the life of the captain’s husband or wife negotiating raising a family on the ship. Never show the captain on screen. Hint and tease at exciting events in the background but focus on the domestic angle and that part of the crew. Put in a laugh track.

Better idea, it's sex and the city but on a Galaxy Class starship.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Kitchner posted:

Better idea, it's sex and the city but on a Galaxy Class starship.

Make it Spacedock, and you've got a TV show

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
The Love Boat but space

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mods changed my name posted:

The Love Boat but space

Chris Farley’s Riker walk never fails to make me laugh

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mods changed my name posted:

The Love Boat but space

Can Dean Stockwell sink the Love Boat?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

HD DAD posted:

Chris Farley’s Riker walk never fails to make me laugh

It's so loving good

https://vimeo.com/67326569

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
lol I had forgotten that was even a thing until HD Dads post, but I like Rob Schneiders Data

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I liked Tim Meadows' Geordi with his "Outta sight!" catchphrase.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLGsB9jHkz0

Let's sit and watch a british man rant about Riker being a shithead.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLGsB9jHkz0

Let's sit and watch a british man rant about Riker being a shithead.

Jellico did nothing wrong

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

PostNouveau posted:

He didn't realize that he was taking command of a ship full of babies that had issues with change and a slightly increased workload. He basically said, "uhh, we're not scanning a loving nebula today there are real stakes, so let's act like a real Starfleet Vessel and maybe let's not wear our pyjamas to work . . . ok?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Riker's stagnant career is a completely unforced error. They could have just never brought it up.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Riker was waiting for Picard to get offed so he could get field promoted to captain of Starfleet's flagship and keep his boning his friend with benefits*.

*Worf

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Imagine living such a joyless existence that you find yourself disliking Riker enough to make a YouTube about it.

Lurch away from the keyboard, friend. Go enjoy some jamaharon while you listen to bad white guy jazz.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
BSG S1E9: Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down. Also known as "Edward James Olmos tries his hand at directing the first comedy episode of BSG." It does not go well.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

PostNouveau posted:

Reassigning a third of the engineering department to security and then putting engineering on round-the-clock shifts to do some last-minute modifications seems like a bad idea to me. He already basically took a few science labs offline with his modifications, reassign the blue shirts to security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Xenocides posted:

So the TV equivalent of 2014 Godzilla where almost anytime something rad was about to happen they cut away from it? I mean it's fair to take a movie thing and TV it as the next Godzilla (Shin) was more or less WEST WING BUT IN JAPAN WITH A GODZILLA WHO LOOKS LIKE IT WAS BIRTHED FROM SATANS BUTTHOLE POST MASSIVE TACO BELL MEAL.

Also I've been a bit back into Trek lately but I'm a bad person who likes the less Trek Trek where spaceships blow up a lot and it's got way less Gene idealism and way more dead things ideally involving spaceships exploding. (Yes I do own 3 of the 4 Starfleet Command games only missing Orion Pirates. ISC and Kzinti 4 life. Sadly no Seltorians so no KILL ALL THOLIANS ALL THE TIME fun. And nobody locally plays Federation Commander so I can get my spaceship murder fix. Even if my friend mostly just charged with overloaded Photon Torps and usually surrendered if he missed with most of them on the first pass. My Kzinti demand human blood as furries must not be tolerated. :doom: )

And while I'm at it how come there really aren't any good Trek ship models outside a couple long oop Bandai ones? For the price the Amt and Polar Lights kits cost they shouldn't need glue, paint, and sometimes an add on decal sheet to give that Aztec thing. At this point I might as well just buy the few ships I want from Eaglemoss. Smaller but metal, painted and assembled, plus a little magazine to read. About the same cost pre shipping as the normal size kits go for.