Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

RudeCat posted:

It's gay wizards all the way down!

Gay, wizard, can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
vv I conflated that story and didn't bother reading it entirely so I shouldn't have been so aggro, sry. However I stand by my post.

xtal has a new favorite as of 16:04 on Feb 8, 2019

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

xtal posted:

Canada is such a shithole lmao. I live here so I'm allowed to say it btw.

weird flex considering that story happened in austria but okay

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alaois posted:

weird flex considering that story happened in austria but okay

Dead dude was canadian, also didn’t ski lodges run Alberta till oil came along?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Austria is the Canada of Europe. Even its flag is very Canadianesque.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The bloop was a cthulhu fart, which is really cool

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

ElGroucho posted:

The bloop was a cthulhu fart, which is really cool

The bloop was me. My bad.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Das Boo posted:

Wasn't there also a big glowing asterisk in the form of radiation from the corpses?

Yeah, the radiation (lanterns) and bad state of the bodies (missing tongues and whatnot) are people not understanding what happens to bodies of people who did in remote locations with lots of carnivorous wildlife around.

The verifiable weirdness of the story is based around the fact that they all fled from the tent in such a hurry that they literally cut their way out rather than take the time to unbutton the opening (which was, by all accounts, a slow process). Further evidence of their haste is that none of them was fully prepared to go out, with some going so far as to not put on boots. Something happened to make them flip their poo poo and sprint for the treeline down the mountain.

Five of the nine had no physical injuries at autopsy and died of hypothermia, while four died of massive internal injuries that the examiner couldn't explain. Avalanche makes some sense, but there wasn't an avalanche where they were, their tent was still visible when the searchers found them, and an avalanche big enough to do that kind of damage would have also broken arms and legs, which didn't happen.

There's a possibility that the autopsies were botched and that there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, but on the basis of what we know now, it is at least kind of a mystery and it's definitely unnerving.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
This came up in my Twitter feed today and it’s loving awful.

https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/1093951293092216833?s=21

A black WWII veteran, Isaac Woodard, freshly discharged in Georgia, pisses off his bus driver in South Carolina for asking for a bathroom break. Bus driver calls cops, they beat him, gouge out his eyes, and put him in jail for 30 days.

Here’s Orion Welles getting angry about it on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P11sW1sXNbs

Just guess what happened to the cop.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Mister Mind posted:

He got a medal?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Mister Mind posted:

This came up in my Twitter feed today and it’s loving awful.

https://twitter.com/kevinmkruse/status/1093951293092216833?s=21

A black WWII veteran, Isaac Woodard, freshly discharged in Georgia, pisses off his bus driver in South Carolina for asking for a bathroom break. Bus driver calls cops, they beat him, gouge out his eyes, and put him in jail for 30 days.

Here’s Orion Welles getting angry about it on the radio.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P11sW1sXNbs

The medical report on Woodward's injuries determined the cops hadn't actually gouged his eyes out, instead they'd beaten him in the face so hard and so many times that his eyes 'ruptured irreparably in their sockets', a phrase which has stayed with me down the years.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Apraxin posted:

The medical report on Woodward's injuries determined the cops hadn't actually gouged his eyes out, instead they'd beaten him in the face so hard and so many times that his eyes 'ruptured irreparably in their sockets', a phrase which has stayed with me down the years.

That didn't make it better at all.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

quote:

There was no one in particular threatening her, Ms. Reyes said, but she could not shake her fear. She told her mother: “I feel like somebody’s going to murder me.”

The next day, she did not show up for work as a clerk at Barnes & Noble in Scarsdale. On Tuesday, eight days after that phone call, her body was found in a suitcase on the side of a quiet, residential road in Greenwich, Conn., about 14 miles from her apartment.

Valerie Reyes Feared for Her Life. Then Her Body Was Found in a Suitcase.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

jobson groeth posted:

That didn't make it better at all.

I can't imagine it was intended to.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
How does it compare morally if it's a child instead of a veteran and they only lose one eye? https://www.durhamregion.com/news-s...ppear-in-court/

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

xtal posted:

How does it compare morally if it's a child instead of a veteran and they only lose one eye? https://www.durhamregion.com/news-s...ppear-in-court/

Public mischief, nice.

E: shenanigans in public

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Congrats Caligula for killing perverts.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I would pay good money to see two men fight each other with gold toilet seat lids.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You can probably find male strippers that will do it

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

poo poo, I'd do it for 50 bucks.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Gallienus you prankster

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You can probably find male strippers that will do it

Hmmm, my buddy's bachelor party may just get a bit more interesting.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Man the segue from Roman arena murder to burlesque is fuckin whiplash-inducing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/TheDweck/status/1094284377566003200

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They're all in one place. Be a shame if a rock fell on them

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Or a measles virus

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I bet every person there has been vaccinated.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Queen Combat posted:

I'm going to convince myself that the bloop is either that big radio signal, or the underwater ping, that nobody knows where either of them came from.

also a poster in this forum

But, no proof that the sound itself isn't sentient and has an account I guess

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Being anti vax should be punishable by a jail sentence

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

So, I double checked with my friend to see if there was any followup with her cousin's death in Austria. The answer was "No."

Too much time had passed, and basically everyone who had been involved, according to what she knew, was basically gone or couldn't be linked.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Queen Combat posted:

This is without a doubt that thing that pisses me off most about it. The selfishness of these people. I really, really loving hate them

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Queen Combat posted:

And it made them totally incapable of normal emotional reactions. See, it's true - vaccination causes autism! :v:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
capitalism

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

I can't help but notice that every person in that photograph is white.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Slippery posted:

Being anti vax should be punishable by a jail sentence

Just inject them with Smallpox and let The Body's Natural Immune System decide how much to punish them.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Acute Grill posted:

Just inject them with Smallpox and let The Body's Natural Immune System decide how much to punish them.

Excellent av / post agreement

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article223820240.html

Girl goes on a cruise with family, contracts a mysterious illness which explodes her face and blinds her.

quote:

“During the 3 to 4-hour wait in the ER, Jordyn began to swell, causing a sudden loss of vision,” the page reads. “The pressure behind Jordyn’s eyes was an average of 85 mm Hg - the normal eye pressure is around 12-22 mm Hg. Ophthalmologists cut slits by her eyes to detach her eyelids and to try and open the eye socket in order to reduce swelling.”

Doctors also removed bones near her eye sockets to fight against the swelling. But despite their best efforts, “it was determined that Jordyn would be completely blind,” according to the GoFundMe page.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/
The story of the collision between the USS Fitzgerald and a civilian cargo ship. Unnerving in that it happened because the US Navy had spread itself so thin that several critical systems were inoperable. Due to a mixture of lack of parts for repair, not enough crew and lack of training/ inexperience of the crew they actually had.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Varkk posted:

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/
The story of the collision between the USS Fitzgerald and a civilian cargo ship. Unnerving in that it happened because the US Navy had spread itself so thin that several critical systems were inoperable. Due to a mixture of lack of parts for repair, not enough crew and lack of training/ inexperience of the crew they actually had.

The worst part for me, is the part that none of this is going to change.

I guarantee you nearly all those parts and pieces that were inoperable were all under some contract, removing the capability for repair and replacement from the operators and maintainers themselves, set up to line the pockets of some defense contractor.

And because our acquisition system is so broken, this will not change before humanity becomes extinct in a few generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

https://www.sacbee.com/news/nation-world/national/article223820240.html

Girl goes on a cruise with family, contracts a mysterious illness which explodes her face and blinds her.

:randpop: