Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Everything made by Tale of Tales and most of the stuff mad by The Chinese Room is boring tripe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I love that leveled up to max, Big Boss is the third strongest spirit in Smash Ultimate discounting the two eldritch antagonists of said game's adventure mode. It goes them, Galacta Knight, Akuma and then Big Boss the Human. There's hundreds of creatures, deities and more below him in power.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

If the gameplay of Death Stranding is anything on the level of MGSV I'll buy it immediately.

MGSV felt so good to play

This guy gets it :hfive:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

But that doesn't make any sense Boss is stronger than Big Boss

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

In Training posted:

But that doesn't make any sense Boss is stronger than Big Boss

It's not like she threw her final fight against him at the end of Snake Eater or anything.

She was legitimately thrown off by him wearing an Ape Escape mask and dangling a knock-out hanky in front of her.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Infinitum posted:

MGSV is one of the best open world sandbox games, and I'm legit bummed you didn't enjoy it.

The game engine in particular was super impressive as it ran really well on high settings on my old shitbox pc
For me it was when I got to Part 2, decided "OK I've put in close to 100 hours into this game, let's wrap it up" and tried to just mainline the story...which still requires you to go through an avalanche of tedious side ops and still takes like 20 hours. It just wore me so down by the end that the fact that there wasn't even a goofy Kojima story to latch onto to keep me going was the cherry on top.

I also still consider it guilty by association for everything that happens with Paz.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Solid Snake is the biggest boss imo

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

If the gameplay of Death Stranding is anything on the level of MGSV I'll buy it immediately.

MGSV felt so good to play

MGSV was fun but it lacked 90% of what I'd buy a Kojima game for. So I'd rather the game be batshit all the way through to the level we've seen in the trailers and for the gameplay to be a shonky mess.

Or both being good would be nice too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy who's never worked ona game with bad gameplay is probably going to beef it this time for some reason,

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nate RFB posted:

For me it was when I got to Part 2, decided "OK I've put in close to 100 hours into this game, let's wrap it up" and tried to just mainline the story...which still requires you to go through an avalanche of tedious side ops and still takes like 20 hours. It just wore me so down by the end that the fact that there wasn't even a goofy Kojima story to latch onto to keep me going was the cherry on top.

I also still consider it guilty by association for everything that happens with Paz.

But you can just mainline the story missions in part 2. You don't have to literally do every single mission.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

Instead they had a million cut scenes

The phantom pain

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

But you can just mainline the story missions in part 2. You don't have to literally do every single mission.
You have to pick up the kids for example individually when they escape, and even then there are a couple parts where you're "done" but the new story mission won't open up until you do at least one side op or whatever.

Either way it still took about 10 times longer than I was willing to put into it by that point.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Would you say

that they played you like a drat fiddle

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Infinitum posted:

MGSV is one of the best open world sandbox games, and I'm legit bummed you didn't enjoy it.

The game engine in particular was super impressive as it ran really well on high settings on my old shitbox pc

it would have been better as peace walker style missions and map segments

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What was the name of the other, better Kojima who made that game with a title that sounds like “Death Stranding”? Hidemo Kojimbo or something?

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]
That’s it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

What was the name of the other, better Kojima who made that game with a title that sounds like “Death Stranding”? Hidemo Kojimbo or something?

joakim mogren

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

MGSV's open world was impressive and ran beautifully, but it mostly just felt like land to traverse between missions.

Fine but eh.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I haven't played one, but most of the ~walking sims~ camster shows off look neat.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The best open world game is Witcher 3 but MGSV was very good yes

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The open world in Witcher 3 just made it worse imo

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

botw has the best open world. hopefully botw 2 will fix the weapon stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Motto posted:

I haven't played one, but most of the ~walking sims~ camster shows off look neat.

Most video games are walking simulators most of the time, when you really think about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Most video games are walking simulators most of the time, when you really think about it.

They are usually more like running or jogging simulators

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Andrast posted:

They are usually more like running or jogging simulators

You can only run for 10 seconds before resting tho

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Samuringa posted:

You can only run for 10 seconds before resting tho

Yeah but the normal speed is still faster than walking!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Most games are roleplaying games if you think about it

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

some would say life is a game....

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s not a game because there is no win condition

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Most games are roleplaying games if you think about it

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When can you play as Wesker?

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

oddium posted:

botw has the best open world. hopefully botw 2 will fix the weapon stuff

a larger variety/more weirdo ones is probably all it needs imho

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

a larger variety/more weirdo ones is probably all it needs imho

It also needs way more enemy types

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

oddium posted:

it would have been better as peace walker style missions and map segments

Nope, the best part about the map is being able to attack points from almost any angle, plus you can have reinforcements from outside the base, with mechanics that add to this like the radio towers. In individual maps, your entry point will always be limited and reinforcements lose any real impact since they would just appear when needed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Nope, the best part about the map is being able to attack points from almost any angle, plus you can have reinforcements from outside the base, with mechanics that add to this like the radio towers. In individual maps, your entry point will always be limited and reinforcements lose any real impact since they would just appear when needed.

The any angle aspect could be done just fine on individual maps, since you can just add some extra land around the place

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

The any angle aspect could be done just fine on individual maps, since you can just add some extra land around the place

Then why not just stitch that "extra land" together, you know, like they did in the game already.

How many loading screens do you need?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

MGSV's open world was impressive and ran beautifully, but it mostly just felt like land to traverse between missions.

Fine but eh.

the bases were all cool but the open world itself sucked and felt like a big waste of time with nothing to see or do

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bushisms.txt posted:

Then why not just stitch that "extra land" together, you know, like they did in the game already.

How many loading screens do you need?

I'd rather have loading screens than long stretches of running through empty desert

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Andrast posted:

I'd rather have loading screens than long stretches of running through empty desert

That's why you have a rad rear end mech to get around on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Downtime while you’re walking through an environment can build atmosphere and story, I can’t say I’ve ever experienced that by staring at a load screen.