Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Just beat the game. Left the prawn and cyclops max depth modules, an Ion Cell, and Ion Battery, grappling arm (probably should have left the drill arm instead), and the better jump jets. Congrats whoever finds that one.

Great game, the collect-a-thon at the end is decently designed since everything you need is pretty close-by. Probably my only complaint is that there isn't a reason to build more then maybe two bases, and so there isn't a reason to mess with bio-reactors, or nuclear reactors or any of that, but I'm glad those options exist.

I'm also a little sad that there isn't much reason to explore like 70% of the map, because there are a lot of neat areas, just wish there was a purpose to them. Looking forward to sub-zero for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

haldolium posted:

It annoyed me when I stumbled upon it on Steam the other day and saw they will do another extended "EA" phase for this one, where it seems to be basically the same game but with different content. Sure, do a 3 months beta/EA phase but another whole year+ of QA by the community? Bit too much and not what I consider "EA" should be used for... :shrug:

I would say it's exactly what EA should be used for, it's not like the game is done and they are just doing a year of Q&A, they are literally in the process of making the game.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just beat the game. Left the prawn and cyclops max depth modules, an Ion Cell, and Ion Battery, grappling arm (probably should have left the drill arm instead), and the better jump jets. Congrats whoever finds that one.
You left the fun+"Didn't get trapped in jellyshroom cave" arm. You made the right call.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Was playing this through on PS4 after playing it before on PC and the game crashed while manually saving. It dumped about 8-12 hours worth of autosaves and reverted the game back to when I had last rebooted the PS4 over a week ago. Seems like I'm not the only one having this issue on PS4, any word on a fix?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can't think of one, aside from the learned lesson "power cycle your computers every couple days at most".

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

uPen posted:

Was playing this through on PS4 after playing it before on PC and the game crashed while manually saving. It dumped about 8-12 hours worth of autosaves and reverted the game back to when I had last rebooted the PS4 over a week ago. Seems like I'm not the only one having this issue on PS4, any word on a fix?

Just drink it in, this sort of poo poo is normal for Subnautica.

On PC every time you quit you should pretty much do a manual copy of the save game data to a back up as poo poo gets corrupted so easily.

I finally stopped playing when all of my buildings vanished (but not the objects inside) and they no longer let me build anything new.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The code of this game is held together by early Dwarf Fortress levels of silly string and hope, isn't it?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It seems like most people barely have any problems and a few have the game explode in new and inventive ways.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It seems like most people barely have any problems and a few have the game explode in new and inventive ways.

let's set aside performance for now (adding rooms to your habit shouldn't tank performance so quickly),

you're telling me you havn't had fish show up swimming in your water-less habitat? And if so, tell me why that never happend with Mario 64 and why it's okay for 25 years for it to happen with stupid fish in this game. And that's just the start of the immersion breaking stuff that you either commit to quickly forgetting about or after a while the game kind of loses it's magic. I know we're in the age where Bethesda games at launch at considered playable or whatever by some people but gently caress that.

Apex Legends is a breath of loving fresh air in an industry where we have to make excuses for developers lazy work and over promising of what they can actually deliver.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Feb 9, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

i dunno man, in watching twitch streams after the game came out in 1.0, it seemed like every single person i watched had the glitch where you phase out of the cyclops happen to them at least once. many lost seamoths to pop-in-related disasters as well. that's to say nothing about the extremely frequent lesser bugs. while some people do definitely have way worse luck (as i recounted earlier in this thread this was, no joke, the buggiest experience i have ever had in a video game, bar none), it is overall still an exceptionally poorly-made game.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't think I've had any of those besides the occasional burrowing Reaper, though my computer is a monster.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I don't think I've had any of those besides the occasional burrowing Reaper, though my computer is a monster.

nothing to do with a monster computer, the same level of jank has existed with this game since I can member, and I was in ea about 5-6 months in I think.

I've played this now on a gpu with 2gb of vram and one with 8gb, and similar cpu upgrades between the machines. Besides there is nothing in this game that is that pretty, the models are all low poly, the water acts like a giant fog anyway so draw distance is poo poo, and when it's not, you always always see pop in. Especially if you are moving above a snails pace, like lets say a seamoth. Or any of the main vehicles.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Morphix posted:

let's set aside performance for now (adding rooms to your habit shouldn't tank performance so quickly),

you're telling me you havn't had fish show up swimming in your water-less habitat? And if so, tell me why that never happend with Mario 64 and why it's okay for 25 years for it to happen with stupid fish in this game. And that's just the start of the immersion breaking stuff that you either commit to quickly forgetting about or after a while the game kind of loses it's magic. I know we're in the age where Bethesda games at launch at considered playable or whatever by some people but gently caress that.

Apex Legends is a breath of loving fresh air in an industry where we have to make excuses for developers lazy work and over promising of what they can actually deliver.

I mean, you couldn't build your own habitats in a persistent environment in Mario 64. :nallears:

But Respawn is amazing and everyone should give AL a try, and then go buy Titanfall 1 and 2 because you have :10bux:. :woop:

i named the fish in the habitat steve

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I mean, you couldn't build your own habitats in a persistent environment in Mario 64. :nallears:

so is being a pedant like a full time occupation or do you actually think you're in anyway being clever with this response? or is that emoji supposed to be some irony poo poo im missing

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Morphix posted:

you're telling me you havn't had fish show up swimming in your water-less habitat? And if so, tell me why that never happend with Mario 64 and why it's okay for 25 years for it to happen with stupid fish in this game.

Just remember you're comparing the flagship game for a much beloved system made by one of the top video game companies in history to a tiny studio who's major claims to fame include "the Half-Life mod Natural Selection".

That and "why that never happend with Mario 64" is hilarious like there weren't any Mario 64 glitches.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

CyberLord XP posted:

Just remember you're comparing the flagship game for a much beloved system made by one of the top video game companies in history to a tiny studio who's major claims to fame include "the Half-Life mod Natural Selection".

That and "why that never happend with Mario 64" is hilarious like there weren't any Mario 64 glitches.

I mean since people are now taking a throw away argument and trying to pick it apart like it's serious

gently caress it

Yes, 25 years ago, the flagship game, on a flagship system shipped with a stable and finished product. Fast forward 25 years later, and this studio, has shown the have the capability to create one of the most interesting multiplayer mods to ever exist. Yet they have to lie to excuse their own incompetence with this product.

We live in a time where I can create an entire beautiful ocean in UE4 in under an hour using a tutorial. Or gently caress it just import the scene myself and swim around. These people have career built around this and they can't make a game where the most simplest of things doesn't break, the separation of water and not water. Like the fundamental building block of your entire game's design, and somehow 3d models keep just flying through it.

The reason I used Mario64 was specifically because of it's simplicity and it's age. You would think, this industry filled with people obsessed with 'technology' would be able to figure out basic boundary limits like they figured out in Mario 64 for the most part.

But nah, somehow that's a struggle for these people. Other developers can do it fine.

So ya, however way you want to excuse that, cool. I did as well because the game offered a unique experience. But they're doing the same bullshit with round 2, seemingly having learned nothing. So ya gently caress their lazyness and gently caress asking us to pay for it with this 'we love you FANS' bullshit. You love the money we give you, that's it. I would be much less salty if I had a playable Sub Zero with all the performance fixes that should of been in the first game, that they promised would be, that I paid for to be fixed. And now literally running the exact same song and dance about performance fixes with this bullshit. So ya double gently caress these liars. Two fucks!

e- I'm more just personally salty because I'm building something that will hopefully be shown off to investors in March, and this level of lying is like, it's hard for me to swallow, if you can't make a better game, man up and loving say it you liars. Don't do the 'well aACKKULLY PERFORMANCE HAS NEVER BEEN A PROBLEM SINCE PATCH X', but of course they can't, because that cuts their future revenue and boo hoo they're dug a hole for themselves. gently caress em

Morphix fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Feb 9, 2019

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

idk, I find it charming to dock at a moonpool and have a Peeper in atmosphere with me like HI HOW ARE YOU I LEARNED HOW TO BREATHE AIR WHILE YOU WERE GONE WANNA HANG OUT

Sometimes we hang in the observation lounge or the hab module, it's chill, they help me get my seaWork done

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cool now give us a meltdown where you try to find a time when it is ok to deploy racial epithets.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

LonsomeSon posted:

Cool now give us a meltdown where you try to find a time when it is ok to deploy racial epithets.

how boring is your loving life that you have the time and energy to track users posting history on this forum

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Okay, just understand that you're posting on a forum that doesn't cater to game developers specifically and you're coming off as super hostile about things most people don't sweat. When I see fish clip through my base wall I don't get upset about immersion, I just brush it off. It's not a triple A title and I didn't pay $60 for it, it's going to some silly issues.

I get if you actually work in games having a top notch product is your livelihood and you're emotionally invested in that, but this thread may not be the place for that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Morphix posted:

how boring is your loving life that you have the time and energy to track users posting history on this forum

Don't be a hilariously thin-skinned racist pedant and people won't be able to gently caress with you for being a hilariously thin-skinned racist pedant?

Worked for me so far.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

LonsomeSon posted:

Don't be a hilariously thin-skinned racist pedant and people won't be able to gently caress with you for being a hilariously thin-skinned racist pedant?

Worked for me so far.

so help me understand, you view yourself as like the sheriff of these parts? making sure people stay in line otherwise your duty, as the sherrif of these parts, is to come in with unrelated drama and offer your services?

cool. cool stuff.

Is it weird that literally 5 minutes after this I won't even remember having this stupid conversation? Like that's how little this interaction means with me. The fact that you remember my loving username is so hilarious lonely to me. Especially because there is nothing outwardly about my username or AV that draws attention or is remarkable in any loving way. Like aaaw buddy, these people aren't your friends. Nobody here is your friend. You find people in the real world who you should be remembering this poo poo about, not in the online.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 9, 2019

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m with you the game runs like garbage and the only excuse was they ran out of money. Well no poo poo you are based in the most expensive city in country. I’m sure it’ll work itself out over the long run when they can’t EA any new games.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I also am not a big fan of this studio. I played the original game during most of its EA, and it had some truly :wtc: bugs that really made me question their talent and professionalism. And I say that as someone who develops software for a living.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
/\/\ ya I'm not a software dev, I'm just a wannabe engineer whose been prototyping a product for the past year, so I know gently caress all about game dev, but the kid glove fandom of these people who are taking your money is so absurd. if you want to take peoples money, be responsible with it and don't loving lie. it's pretty easy. /\/\

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m with you the game runs like garbage and the only excuse was they ran out of money. Well no poo poo you are based in the most expensive city in country. I’m sure it’ll work itself out over the long run when they can’t EA any new games.

I mean my stupid 'online outrage' is like 80% nicotine withdraw right now because of the snow, but just because it's over the top and silly, doesn't mean I'm wrong.

That's what's always hilarious about the online, if you do the basic internet bitch of 'I AM ONE OF YOU, HERE ARE MY CREDENTIALS YOU THIN-SKINNED ASSHOLES, I TOO LOVE THE THING IM ABOUT TO CRITICIZE' than it's okay to say a bad thing. But if you 'Dont Love the Car' ala Car Citizen, you're a Fudster. If you first don't expound upon all the early access excuses that you're just a hater who doesn't appreciate all the hard work these people do to market their lies to us.

Morphix fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Feb 9, 2019

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Morphix posted:

5 minutes after this I won't even remember

Replying to very mildly-worded criticism with a wall of text about how not-mad you are for sure conveys this!

Subnautica is a weird niche game with a hell of a lot of issues, but which nailed ambiance and exploration (at least the first time through), and where game progression is mainly about overcoming a common fear of the deep ocean and the poo poo living in it instead of purely being a series of fetch-and-build checkpoints.

Getting histrionic about other hobbyists' willingness to put up with flaws in order to enjoy the merits of a very cool and innovative take on the wider genre of "fell into island/planet alone with no resources, build poo poo and secure food to live," especially on the basis of an extremely facile comparison to video games which were orders of magnitude less complex, designed for consoles, and are part of a wildly different genre, is for sure a sign of a cogent and respectable opinion-haver, though.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

LonsomeSon posted:

Replying to very mildly-worded criticism with a wall of text about how not-mad you are for sure conveys this!

Subnautica is a weird niche game with a hell of a lot of issues, but which nailed ambiance and exploration (at least the first time through), and where game progression is mainly about overcoming a common fear of the deep ocean and th

e poo poo living in it instead of purely being a series of fetch-and-build checkpoints.

Getting histrionic about other hobbyists' willingness to put up with flaws in order to enjoy the merits of a very cool and innovative take on the wider genre of "fell into island/planet alone with no resources, build poo poo and secure food to live," especially on the basis of an extremely facile comparison to video games which were orders of magnitude less complex, designed for consoles, and are part of a wildly different genre, is for sure a sign of a cogent and respectable opinion-haver, though.

"You don't understand what it requires to be a fan, you just don't have it kid" except the adult version of that with you thinking a thesaurus is a substitute for an opinion. cool. very cool version of 'But I love the car'

the idea that there is anything complex being tracked in this game is absurd. when you go into your hab, it forgets all about the fish outside. This isn't Rimworld or DF. This game is much less complex than Mario 64 was, especially when viewed in the context of the time. 64 defined what 3d worlds and movement was for an entire generation of games (to say nothing about the technical challenge of developing for a brand new hardware). The fact that they got it so right the first time out says a lot about the complexity of the task and what it required to get there.

Just because 25 years later poo poo looks easy doesn't say anything about it's complexity at the time. In fact, that comparison is the entire point of using Mario 64. 25 loving years later, and somehow we have brain geniuses like you telling me that what this game does is in some way unique, or complex or anything to excuse the piss poor performance and janky nature of it.

When, in the context that this game is being made, you have 1 man groups of developers who can create Space Engine by themselvse. Yet this no-longer-indie developer can't get their Ps2/3 era graphics not to run like poo poo.

e- it's so awesome you called me a pedant and than you gave that response, it's so perfect, so here let me pedant-it-up a little bit for you

quote:

Getting histrionic about other hobbyists' willingness to put up with flaws

you inserted yourself in here with completely non related to the game drama about my posting history. you did it because you thought it was a hell sick burn. And now you're claiming I'm attacking your hobby. Goddamn you're loving lame. Did you develop this game? Is me stating my opinion hurting your opinion somehow? The gently caress is wrong with you loving dumb fan boy part 1 of 234567567575675678

Morphix fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 9, 2019

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
You seem incredibly angry every time I see you post.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

necrotic posted:

for sure, like I said earlier it's snowy apocalypse and I'm trying to quit cigs like a loving idiot.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I want a subnautica spin-off game where you just toot around space exploring derelict space ships looking for salvage to sell while shooting the occasional space pirate or security robot.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

Vakal posted:

I want a subnautica spin-off game where you just toot around space exploring derelict space ships looks for salvage to sell while shooting the occasional space pirate or security robot.

I think this game is going for that kind of thing

https://store.steampowered.com/app/588210/HELLION/

Havn't tried it myself yet, but may be worth checking out? The reviews look like a mixed bag so best of luck

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

necrotic posted:

:hmmyes:

I bought hellion a long time ago and it seemed neat but at some point the performance just went to complete unplayable poo poo. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled clean and done everything I can think of but I went from a good 45fps to maybe 5 at best. It sucks because those first couple hours were really fun.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Morphix posted:

I think this game is going for that kind of thing

https://store.steampowered.com/app/588210/HELLION/

Havn't tried it myself yet, but may be worth checking out? The reviews look like a mixed bag so best of luck

Looks neat. Thanks.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

i personally don't buy any games that don't have "very positive" or "overwhelmingly positive" reviews, because they almost always turn out to be trash

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

...up to a point I actually find games with bugs and flaws to be more fun, because sometimes they're exploitable for comedy?!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I didn't have much issue with subnautica, except when I got to the active-lava zone, the headlights on my cyclops were just clouds and not lights. Also any fog on the map would overlap the hud when I was in the cyclops. It may have CTDd once, but i didn't really lose much. Still a good game, and it would be nice if they rendered the ocean draw distance better.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

If you're going to pick a hill to die on in a Something Awful thread it's pretty important to stop moving your goalposts and generating new flavors of strawman at some point, if only breifly. It seems greedy to want to die on half-a-dozen at once!

I keep expecting you to try and suss out what minority/minorities I might belong to so you can deploy your most powerful semantic arsenal as a warning to me and others that your hysterical bloviation is not to be trifled with but all I get are wet-noodle personal attacks based mostly on bad-faith readings of my comments. At least I'm getting time-and-a-half to read and reply to your posts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
:munch:

I was expecting BZ updates, but this was just as entertaining.
:justpost:

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene

LonsomeSon posted:

...so you can deploy your most powerful semantic arsenal as a warning to me and others that your hysterical bloviation is not to be trifled with but all I get are wet-noodle personal attacks based mostly on bad-faith readings of my comments. At least I'm getting time-and-a-half to read and reply to your posts.

that's so cool man, wow you're getting paid time AND a half? Wow

quote:

I keep expecting you to try and suss out what minority/minorities

you're the precious 'Ironic Detachment' online minority. nobody except yourself is impressed that you can identify other emotions online.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I think the basic point of "Devs did not fix fundamental issues with their engine" has merit. (To say the least.)

Arguing about this point, or people's reaction to it, does not seem productive.