Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

is it that bad ... that there is an anime geared toward alt-right incel types? Are they not allowed to have their own show and entertainment?

Yes, No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

SpartanIvy posted:

If anyone watches Gigguk on YouTube he released a video that had this work of art in it

i had to read a post by this guy that was like '[thing] isn't yaoi because it has a plot and themes' and he was right about the thing not being yaoi but he can suck my gay balls

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

The show sounds terrible and all, but to be fair, is it that bad or surprising that there is an anime geared toward alt-right incel types? Are they not allowed to have their own show and entertainment? This isn't a rhetorical question, I"m legit curious.
They're not legally banned from making one, and nobody is suggesting they should be. At the same time, we can criticize them for imbuing their media with harmful ideas, and criticize that media's supporters and distributors(fuckin' Crunchyroll) for spreading those ideas to a wider audience.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
I don't think Shield Hero is going to be the go to show for those kind of people though. Shield Hero breaking down, curling up and crying ruined the show for some people I know.
There's worse trash out there they can rally under.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Elephant Parade posted:

They're not legally banned from making one, and nobody is suggesting they should be. At the same time, we can criticize them for imbuing their media with harmful ideas, and criticize that media's supporters and distributors(fuckin' Crunchyroll) for spreading those ideas to a wider audience.

I agree with this.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
anyway i think it's important to remember nonbinary people aren't any more woke than the rest of us, and that's equality

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

DisDisDis posted:

i had to read a post by this guy that was like '[thing] isn't yaoi because it has a plot and themes' and he was right about the thing not being yaoi but he can suck my gay balls

Wasn't the origin of the term "yaoi" based on something like "no plot, no climax, no meaning"?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
yeah it's a stupid term for the genre

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paracelsus posted:

Wasn't the origin of the term "yaoi" based on something like "no plot, no climax, no meaning"?

basically, which is why it sucks as an umbrella term vs something broader like boy's love

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Hero of Doing Kickass Skateboarding Tricks without Protective Equipment, Causing the Enemy to Attempt the Same Tricks but They Screw Up and Get a Concussion

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I tried looking up opinions on Youtube about the show, and this is the most viewed one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U99OeYWVMW8

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

I tried looking up opinions on Youtube about the show, and this is the most viewed one:

oh my god who cares

"Shield Hero is popular despite being lovely" is not news, dude

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Sad to hear stairmaster's dad hates women, according to this youtube video

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

oh my god who cares

"Shield Hero is popular despite being lovely" is not news, dude
*glancing around the thread while blinking*

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I am a terrible poster.

Everyone, feel free to laugh at me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

I sat through this video and it is worse than I could have expected.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

I am a terrible poster.

Everyone, feel free to laugh at me.
posting well > not posting > posting poorly > posting about posting poorly

sincerely: making a bad post or two doesn't make you a bad person, or even necessarily a bad poster. I, myself, have made at least three (3) bad posts over the course of this thread my posting career. The key to being a not-terrible poster is to post when you have something funny, interesting, or insightful to contribute to the conversation and not post when you don't. And that's a difficult skill to learn and master! It's one every human practices every day—because frankly, it doesn't only apply to online conversations.

In the meantime, take solace in the fact that you will never be a worse poster than Creamed Cormp

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

posting well > not posting > posting poorly > posting about posting poorly

sincerely: making a bad post or two doesn't make you a bad person, or even necessarily a bad poster. I, myself, have made at least three (3) bad posts over the course of this thread my posting career. The key to being a not-terrible poster is to post when you have something funny, interesting, or insightful to contribute to the conversation and not post when you don't. And that's a difficult skill to learn and master! It's one every human practices every day—because frankly, it doesn't only apply to online conversations.

In the meantime, take solace in the fact that you will never be a worse poster than Creamed Cormp

Thanks.

Being a bit serious though, the video I posted is of a guy who takes the "both sides" argument, and it's a bit funny and unnerving at the same time. I could certainly see how the video would come off as "Shield Hero sucks and is popular and that's bad!" video, especially from my recent posts where I seem obsessed with such an argument. So I understand if I have come across as annoying in this thread. On the other hand:

Endorph posted:

*glancing around the thread while blinking*

Complaining about The Shield Hero being bad despite being popular is basically what this thread is about.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Thanks.

Being a bit serious though, the video I posted is of a guy who takes the "both sides" argument, and it's a bit funny and unnerving at the same time. I could certainly see how the video would come off as "Shield Hero sucks and is popular and that's bad!" video, especially from my recent posts where I seem obsessed with such an argument. So I understand if I have come across as annoying in this thread. On the other hand:

Complaining about The Shield Hero being bad despite being popular is basically what this thread is about.

I wouldn't call the video both sides considering it opens with a bunch of trigger warning jokes and a variant of the attack helicopter joke.

Only thing he got right in it was that anime feminist sucks.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

punk rebel ecks posted:

I interpreted the video (which I watched only the first minute of because I value my time) as being pro-Shield Hero and your post as being a condemnation of it, as well as a condemnation of Youtube for liking it so much. I was critical because, like, why did you expose us to it? We already know that Shield Hero is popular. Why make us sit through five minutes of bigotry and lukewarm takes just to express that fact? You didn't introduce it in a way that added to the conversation or even explained the context, just "here's a popular thing." And if I misinterpreted your post, that's partially on me, but also partially on you for not providing any context.

this has been Elephant Parade's Posting About Posting Hour, thank u for ur patience

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Elephant Parade posted:

I interpreted the video (which I watched only the first minute of because I value my time) as being pro-Shield Hero and your post as being a condemnation of it, as well as a condemnation of Youtube for liking it so much. I was critical because, like, why did you expose us to it? We already know that Shield Hero is popular. Why make us sit through five minutes of bigotry and lukewarm takes just to express that fact? You didn't introduce it in a way that added to the conversation or even explained the context, just "here's a popular thing." And if I misinterpreted your post, that's partially on me, but also partially on you for not providing any context.

this has been Elephant Parade's Posting About Posting Hour, thank u for ur patience

I see. I apologize for the post not being more descriptive.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I wouldn't call the video both sides considering it opens with a bunch of trigger warning jokes and a variant of the attack helicopter joke.

Only thing he got right in it was that anime feminist sucks.

The guy claims that he is "both sides", which 90% of the time means that they are part of the alt-right but like to pretend that they are taking the high ground.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Can y'all take this Shield Hero discussion to the good Isekai thread? I need to ask Sharkopath how the heck cavalry makes any sense when you can just kill the horse instead of the guy on the horse.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Horses are very large and going very fast.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
Would you fight a horse? Now imagine their's some really rude guy on it trying to poke you to death.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Captain Cappy posted:

Can y'all take this Shield Hero discussion to the good Isekai thread? I need to ask Sharkopath how the heck cavalry makes any sense when you can just kill the horse instead of the guy on the horse.

dont you dare

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Captain Cappy posted:

Warhorses are the other thing i know a lot about and it mostly comes down to infantry not normally having high morale to begin with so when a whole bunch of horses and riders that combined weight around 2 tons bears down on them theyd break and run.

And big angry horses that were trained to be agressive biting and snapping and kicking at anything near made killing the horse harder than it sounded, and armored horse barding was a big simultaneous development.

Even much later in the days of pikes and guns French Gendarmes were riding right through entire blocks of pike infantry and making it to the other side unharmed.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

horses are giant monsters that can and will murder you completely on accident
horses as weapons are absolutely terrifying and there's no way i'd go near one of those fuckers even with a rifle

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Archers would target horses though, its probably what made a big difference in Agincourt. Despite really overblown accounts english longbows almost certainly didn't punch through the armor of the french knights, but even trained warhorses wouldnt throw themselves onto the spikes the archers had set up as barricades so without being able to breakthrough and losing horses from arrows the knights had to retreat and the foot knights now had an ugly muddy slog for hundreds of yards to try to take the archer line on foot, by the time they got there they were so exhausted it was a rout.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

im surprised mankind was ever able to use horses as war animals given how easy it is for those fuckers to kill themselves

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

European horsemanship friggin sucked though and french knights were some of the worst. Light cavalry used as scouts and skirmishers were probably the most successful and could have been great and useful continuing into the era of the rifled barrel and even the motorized vehicle except by that time no nation was interested in really training cavalry troops anymore.

In the times of the european men at arms the best cavalry was probably the lighter archer trained eastern cavalry, they used geldings and mares that were faster and more controllable than the stallion coursers and destriers that european nobility favored.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Sucked is a bit of an overstatement but during almost that epoch of history there isnt a lot of evidence of cavalry drill or even basic formation in the west, almost until you get to the pistoleers of the 16-17th century practicing their caracole.

So in a lot of cases a charge was the flower of nobility going bat out of hell right away and losing their formation and cohesion entirely as they neared the lines and they were mostly just hoping to scare the infantry off before combat was made.

Then you have all the times the entire cavalry company pretty much disbanded after driving off an infantry element because they either spotted the treasure wagons and got caught up looting or they chased the enemy all the way off to the point they weren't a useful unit anymore that could rejoin the battle.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Horsefacts.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

It just seems bonkers to me that a charge could ever go well. Like I imagine one horse at the front of the pack takes a dive and everyone behind it crashes into it and dies or is at least dismounted.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
I would assume they just get stepped on a lot.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

That happened, people would ride around. They werent charging in formations that tight and as the charge continued anyways individual riders would start spreading out.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Its not that knights were lazy and never trained at all, but the fuedal system was based around individual retinues of knights and their retainers that trained together as a small group and were definitely more focused on individual combat and horsemanship than they were unit tactics, and when called up were all thrown together on a field with a bunch of other knights and their retainers and ego and glory are good ships to sail to disaster.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sharkopath posted:

European horsemanship friggin sucked though and french knights were some of the worst. Light cavalry used as scouts and skirmishers were probably the most successful and could have been great and useful continuing into the era of the rifled barrel and even the motorized vehicle except by that time no nation was interested in really training cavalry troops anymore.

In the times of the european men at arms the best cavalry was probably the lighter archer trained eastern cavalry, they used geldings and mares that were faster and more controllable than the stallion coursers and destriers that european nobility favored.

Incorrect. World War 1 saw several successful cavalry charges, and cavalry was also used in the Spanish Civil War. World War 2 saw several cavalry charges as well, on the Eastern Front. It was only after that war that Cavalry was fully phased out of modern militaries. Even then horses are sporadically used in certain terrain where it's more practical than trucks and stuff, though it is rare.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gyges posted:

Incorrect. World War 1 saw several successful cavalry charges, and cavalry was also used in the Spanish Civil War. World War 2 saw several cavalry charges as well, on the Eastern Front. It was only after that war that Cavalry was fully phased out of modern militaries. Even then horses are sporadically used in certain terrain where it's more practical than trucks and stuff, though it is rare.

thats what i said you git

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

do not step to me, the friggin horse and armour master

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sharkopath posted:

thats what i said you git

It is not. Rifled barrels and motorized vehicles predate nations no longer being interested in really training cavalry. True riffling dates to the 16th Century and the birth of the automobile was in the 1880s. I will die on this pedantic hill, sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ1GcQrld8o