Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

...wait, they brought in Olympus, and then didn't have a coliseum in it? Why would you even bother with Olympus in that case?

You actually go to Mount Olympus instead of just a Coliseum because that had a Final Fantasy character in it once and they had to get away from that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not necessarily dragging the whole game down but it is very odd to me that every single person writing a journal or book in Skyrim all have the exact same hand writing.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Bethesda is so lazy I kind of want to see how crappy the rest of the game would have been if they diverted effort towards unique writing for every book

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BattleMaster posted:

Bethesda is so lazy I kind of want to see how crappy the rest of the game would have been if they diverted effort towards unique writing for every book

A Radiant Handwriting system that gives everyone a unique mix of styles for each letter.

It changes every few words, making it seem that everyone is piecing their journal together from cut out newspaper.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

KH3 has no good music throughout it. The one good piece is the intro one before you hit start and absolutely nothing is memorable afterward.

Uhhhhm, Let It Go?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I hate when people come into the complain about videogames thread and then complain about videogames. That sure gets me dander up!

KH3 has no good music throughout it. The one good piece is the intro one before you hit start and absolutely nothing is memorable afterward.

They didn’t have Yoko Shimomura for this one? Because she knows how to write a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai0w0Mlq32I
Note: orchestral medley

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

They didn’t have Yoko Shimomura for this one? Because she knows how to write a tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ai0w0Mlq32I
Note: orchestral medley

I couldn't tell you man, this is like the 13th game in the series and actually a sequel to all of them so one of them could've been a new version of a song that was already in one of the earlier games for all I know. I just don't think anything was really standout there. Especially the [spoilers for one of the worlds if you care: Pirates of the Carribean one, since they didn't have any Hans Zimmer at all. because that movie had a really solid soundtrack.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That's weird, because I'm pretty sure the sequel had "He's a Pirate" (pretty much the main theme of PotC). Also, there doesn't seem to be a soundtrack album for KH III yet. Square-Enix be slippin'.

Wikipedia does list Yoko Shimomaru as a composer (one of three), but like you said, that could be because of returning themes. They could have easily gotten other composers for the majority of the soundtrack.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:15 on Feb 9, 2019

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Man, I hate when people come into the complain about videogames thread and then complain about videogames. That sure gets me dander up!

I dunno if Let It Go is good but it's certainly memorable.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe it was this thread where people were discussing super bosses? I remember one someone brought up about like a cthulu like post game boss in some RPG(?) that swtiched immunities etc. and had insane level and health and lots of other stuff. Can't remember what game and would like to. tia

Every JRPG ever?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Its always absolute virtue

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
jRPG secret bosses are always there for masochism only.

Look at Omega Weapon from FFVIII for example.

and this is your reward for beating it

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

No reward for beating a video game's greatest challenge is ever going to be worth it, gameplay-wise. Beating a shooter without firing a gun to unlock the infinite-ammo accessory just proves you don't need the thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No reward for beating a video game's greatest challenge is ever going to be worth it, gameplay-wise. Beating a shooter without firing a gun to unlock the infinite-ammo accessory just proves you don't need the thing.

this is one of the reasons i miss cheat codes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

Maybe it was this thread where people were discussing super bosses? I remember one someone brought up about like a cthulu like post game boss in some RPG(?) that swtiched immunities etc. and had insane level and health and lots of other stuff. Can't remember what game and would like to. tia

It was Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City, the boss's name is Abyssal God

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i was gonna guess demi-fiend from whichever digital devil saga he's the superboss in

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Brother Entropy posted:

i was gonna guess demi-fiend from whichever digital devil saga he's the superboss in

I love that fight. He just rolls up, the random battle music from Nocturne kicks in, and if at any point you start being trouble he just presses the gently caress it button and wipes you.

I won't ever do that fight because I'm not a masochist but drat is that a clever idea

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just Cause 4 is a weird game because the world looks very good and the people in it look very bad. Also maybe it's just me but a lot of missions feel like they were designed for co op but the game doesn't have it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

Just Cause 4 is a weird game because the world looks very good and the people in it look very bad. Also maybe it's just me but a lot of missions feel like they were designed for co op but the game doesn't have it.

Yeah, the graphics (on PS4 at least) were terrible at launch. They did a patch to up some of the settings and it looked better but still worse than JC3.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Sheldon's beard is like crazy bad

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Barudak posted:

It was Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City, the boss's name is Abyssal God

I think it's a series thing. The first Etrian Odyssey had a ridiculous superboss which, among other things, would often use one of three elemental AOE spells that was an instant-kill unless you knew the sequence and had just cast the correct one out the three protection spells (which had to be at level 5, if it was higher or lower you'd lose the fight).

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I really want Claire in Resi 2 remake to reload the grenade launcher without me having to hit the reload button. Weirdly, she does automatically reload if you fire your last of one type of grenade but have some of the other type in your inventory.

Oh, and her SMG sucks.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Sunswipe posted:

I really want Claire in Resi 2 remake to reload the grenade launcher without me having to hit the reload button. Weirdly, she does automatically reload if you fire your last of one type of grenade but have some of the other type in your inventory.

Oh, and her SMG sucks.

Oh man, I've been punched in the face or bitten quite a few times thanks to the first one, since I'm mostly using grenades as a last resort and haven't gotten used to that mechanic :mad:

The SMG isn't great, but I figure that's just the difference in game style after having finished RE4 with a few TMP damage upgrades and 150 ammo capacity.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Len posted:

I love that fight. He just rolls up, the random battle music from Nocturne kicks in, and if at any point you start being trouble he just presses the gently caress it button and wipes you.

I won't ever do that fight because I'm not a masochist but drat is that a clever idea

For a start, in a game where your HP caps at 999, every attack he does hits for over 1000 even with capped stats so there's almost no way to actually survive being hit. If you enter the fight with any of the "Null X" type skills equipped, barring one specific one, he instantly wipes your party. He summons demons constantly so you don't just have to fight him, but a variety of demons who buff him, debuff you and are just as capable of wiping your party as he is. And, most importantly, can heal him. To the point where one of his demons can fully heal him at any given point.

Oh and he's only vulnerable to three things. Almighty, because nothing is wholly immune to almighty, Gun and Earth, because Nocturne didn't have an Earth element. It's a fight that, even if you're running a turbo nerd optimal strategy will take literal hours.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Nuebot posted:

For a start, in a game where your HP caps at 999, every attack he does hits for over 1000 even with capped stats so there's almost no way to actually survive being hit. If you enter the fight with any of the "Null X" type skills equipped, barring one specific one, he instantly wipes your party. He summons demons constantly so you don't just have to fight him, but a variety of demons who buff him, debuff you and are just as capable of wiping your party as he is. And, most importantly, can heal him. To the point where one of his demons can fully heal him at any given point.

Oh and he's only vulnerable to three things. Almighty, because nothing is wholly immune to almighty, Gun and Earth, because Nocturne didn't have an Earth element. It's a fight that, even if you're running a turbo nerd optimal strategy will take literal hours.

Bonus boss aside, would those games be worth picking up on my PS3 if I liked SMT4 but hit a brick wall of a boss early on and never got too far?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
brick wall bosses are the standard in MegaTen games

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Bonus boss aside, would those games be worth picking up on my PS3 if I liked SMT4 but hit a brick wall of a boss early on and never got too far?

most smt games have some early difficulty like that so i dunno if they'll be your thing

if anything smt4 is one of the more lenient ones because it's not an instant game over if your main character dies

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Probably not SMT3 because Matador exists.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What hosed me on the Minotaur fight in SMT4 was the A.I. controlled “help” you have constantly hitting him with stuff that wasn’t effective, so the fucker had a smirk going for most of the battle. The actual combat system is my cup of tea but the A.I. kept screwing me over in that fight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

What hosed me on the Minotaur fight in SMT4 was the A.I. controlled “help” you have constantly hitting him with stuff that wasn’t effective, so the fucker had a smirk going for most of the battle. The actual combat system is my cup of tea but the A.I. kept screwing me over in that fight.

In SMT3 Matador is your first real roadblock where you have to understand how the combat system works because otherwise he will press turn and wreck your poo poo. It was my first Megaten and it put me off the series for awhile. I should really go back now that I know it isn't just a JRPG you can autocombat through and have to actually use buffs and debuffs

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Probably not SMT3 because Matador exists.

do not trigger me please thank you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 27 hours!
I feel like the main difference between Matador and Minotaur is that, while Matador trains you for a game that's still gonna be pretty hard once you get it, Minotaur is a spike in difficulty and mechanical complexity that the game doesn't really serve something close to later.

There's some really hard bosses in Nocturne, but the only times after Minotaur I remember having trouble in IV were either optional bosses or turning up to a boss I had massive elemental weaknesses to.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

This is why SMT4:A is the best game in the series

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

SMT4 is a very different beast from the previous games in the series and the difference between the PS2 era games and it can be pretty divisive in terms of basic design and difficulty. Personally speaking; I love the Digital Devil Saga titles and find them to be an excellent blend of SMT style difficulty and gameplay, and more traditional JRPG setups and design. Meanwhile Nocturne is a lot more traditional. Things like choosing your demon's skills is random and if you want to optimize your poo poo, you have to go in and out of menus a lot and it can be frustrating, and the difficulty is a lot higher than 4's is.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
DDS was the first megaten game I played, and really the first non-traditional rpg I played. Initially, it really turned me off, given the lack of 'towns', the prevalence of dungeons, and the dourness of the whole plot. But once I embraced all that, the game (and series as a whole) really clicked with me.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Sunswipe posted:

Oh, and her SMG sucks.

Dude, use the SMG to saw off zombie legs and run right past them. The grenade launcher is better for the plant zombies, but only with flame rounds.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

DDS was the first megaten game I played, and really the first non-traditional rpg I played. Initially, it really turned me off, given the lack of 'towns', the prevalence of dungeons, and the dourness of the whole plot. But once I embraced all that, the game (and series as a whole) really clicked with me.

DDS belongs in this thread for how often it takes party members from you

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Len posted:

DDS belongs in this thread for how often it takes party members from you

That too. Then, in the sequel, you can potentially have one guy you used the whole game swapped out for another guy who has an entirely different set of strengths, weaknesses and a different stat spread.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I should finish that game one day. I have a save at the beginning of the last dungeon of part 2 but :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuebot posted:

That too. Then, in the sequel, you can potentially have one guy you used the whole game swapped out for another guy who has an entirely different set of strengths, weaknesses and a different stat spread.

yeah but Roland > Heat so no big loss there.