Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

zapplez posted:

Comparing the bbc to Russia times. Really?

The BBC is basically Fox News.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
It's not "Russia Times" it's Russia Today.:goonsay:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/PalenciaEndes/status/1092877981347926016?s=19

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Nice muzzle break

first of all why on earth would they be given metal magazines that were made circa 1996 and brand NEW pmags

Also, if you look at the pattern its metal, pmag, metal, pmag, metal, pmag in that pattern. Why would they give half poo poo and half great + another half tan mags.

One rifle is missing a barrel.

These rifles also don't have optics iron or otherwise

Can you maduristas tell me why the CIA deep state sent rifles with no iron sights?

Is it maybe because you can purchase all these parts and have them sent to venezuela, but sanctions cut down the optics you can import?

A closer look at the row of rifles, None have optics to speak of iron, or otherwise

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Feb 9, 2019

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Can you maduristas tell me why the CIA deep state sent rifles with no iron sights?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2015/09/16/pentagon-just-spent-41-million-to-train-four-or-five-syrian-fighters/

ED: I mean, incompetence can run both ways.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Saudi Arabia... bad???

(actually i'm more or less alright with continued pdvsa oil production)

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Conspiratiorist posted:

The BBC is basically Fox News.

Gray is basically black if you think about it.

:bravo:

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Just in case there's any doubt that the Venezuelan authorities put three trailers on the Tienditas bridge, there's also video evidence

https://twitter.com/hispanopost/status/1093235329786613761

https://twitter.com/lareveron10/status/1093219991011422208

https://twitter.com/CGurisattiNTN24/status/1093248552942403593

https://twitter.com/luzdarydepablos/status/1093244277034024960

https://twitter.com/sol651/status/1093195680364007424

I don't understand how parking three huge trailers across the bridge can be understood as anything but an effort to block traffic on said bridge?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The bridge that already wasn't open and could support gently caress all traffic anyway?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
It's all incredibly dumb anyway, it takes a single truck to pull that poo poo out of the way.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

Jose posted:

The bridge that already wasn't open and could support gently caress all traffic anyway?

The bridge was finished in 2016 but never opened because Maduro kept closing the border with Colombia on a whim. It's never been used.

The Colombian authorities were obviously going to remove their barricade to allow the convoy through. The Venezuelan authorities knew the Colombian barricades were coming down, so they put the trailers there.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

"On a whim"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Chuck Boone posted:

The bridge was finished in 2016 but never opened because Maduro kept closing the border with Colombia on a whim. It's never been used.

The Colombian authorities were obviously going to remove their barricade to allow the convoy through. The Venezuelan authorities knew the Colombian barricades were coming down, so they put the trailers there.

What convoy

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

I'm skeptical of that the Colombians were planning on removing their fence and going to send anything through there. I mean, it's not like that's the only bridge in the area. Also in any case the 'river' is a joke, it's not even a ditch. I'm sure it changes seasonally, but at least in the streetview images the border "river" in Cucuta is about 2 meters wide and literally no more than 30 centimeters deep. There's even a clear path for cars to go across it. You could traverse that river in a segway ( https://www.google.com/maps/@7.916688,-72.4625357,3a,75y,128.85h,81.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVswaoe0VFxrIr_COrOhFhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 )

I mean of course a bigger and more modern 6 lane bridge is way nicer than crossing a muddy dirt road or the old two-lane bridges, especially with lots of trucks, but let's not pretend like the PSUV "super double keeping closed" a bridge that was never open in the first place is even remotely relevant to importing food into the country. I can't imagine why the PSUV decided that it would be a good idea to add a barricade on their side of the bridge, that's the biggest mystery of all to me, but it's not hard to chalk it up to stupidity. If I had to bet, I'd guess some regional commander decided he'd put those containers on the bridge to "inhibit a US invasion of the country". Which is equally as dumb as Pompeo's tweet that the bridge is at all relevant. I mean, it's plenty symbolic, but what would change if there was no Colombian fence or Venezuelan cargo containers? Literally nothing. There are like three other bridges in the area in addition to the "river" being a trivial geographical obstacle.

So why has no aid convoy gone through any of the other half-dozen border posts that are actually open? And besides, were they going to run a convoy through a bridge that likely doesn't even have customs staff at the Venezuelan side since it's never been opened, but oh no, the Tienditas bridge was the only viable option and now they've been thwarted by a cargo container that it would take five guys and a truck to move?

Not to mention that how are they even going to practically get aid from Cucuta deeper into the country? Delivering aid by truck to Cucuta is massive logistical nonsense if you wanted to do it at scale. Really you'd use Maiquetia and Maracaibo since they uh, already have port facilities that can receive massive boats and shipments and have distribution networks and they're way closer to the population centers. Trucking it all the way from Barranquilla to Cucuta and then over a mountain and another 1000 km to get to Caracas is the kind of bullshit the US did in Afghanistan which make it cost $100/gallon for fuel for the US military... but at least in Afghanistan it's not like there were any unambiguously better ways to do the logistics besides going through Karachi and doing thousands of km of trucking. If they really wanted to deliver aid in meaningful quantities (assuming the PSUV would let them -- which they won't so this is all hypothetical anyway) then doing it through Cucuta would be a massively inefficient and corrupt scheme to make money for anyone in Colombia who owns trucks. But since the PSUV won't let them, what would having an unobstructed bridge change? They're not going to send trucks across loaded with cornflour and with no coordination with the Venezuelan government, or they would already be doing it.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 9, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Seriously what convoys and what evidence is there he Colombian government were removing their barricades?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

zapplez posted:

Gray is basically black if you think about it.

:bravo:

They really are, outside of the run-up period to elections where they're legally required to be unbiased.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nice muzzle break

first of all why on earth would they be given metal magazines that were made circa 1996 and brand NEW pmags

Also, if you look at the pattern its metal, pmag, metal, pmag, metal, pmag in that pattern. Why would they give half poo poo and half great + another half tan mags.

One rifle is missing a barrel.

These rifles also don't have optics iron or otherwise

Is it maybe because you can purchase all these parts and have them sent to venezuela, but sanctions cut down the optics you can import?

A closer look at the row of rifles, None have optics to speak of iron, or otherwise

There are new in the package optics in your last pic

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

brugroffil posted:

2. And how exactly are they going to zero those in without prior training

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
I want to be clear: we absolutely should be skeptical of appeals to humanitarianism because they could be used and have been used as excuses for escalating confrontation and other horrible things. At the same time, it is also a fact that there are people in Venezuela who absolutely need this kind of aid, and whose lives will be improved by receiving it. I am terrified that this event will end up sparking a wider conflict, or that one or some of the parties organizing the aid have it in their minds to use this for some kind of ulterior purpose. I don't want this to be used in that way. I want aid to enter Venezuela and reach people that need it. I'm not convinced that just because Trump is president or because the US does and has done horrible things that we should throw the baby out with the bathwater. Again, there are people in Venezuela who really need help.

In an ideal world, Maduro and the PSUV would find ways to bring aid into Venezuela without compromise. Maduro's line is that Venezuelans don't need aid because "we're not beggars". I don't think that a man who lives in luxury should be able to make that kind of decision for the poorest of the poor. I don't think that the PSUV has the best interest of Venezuelans at heart and so I do not think that they are interested in negotiating ways to bring aid into the country, and so the international community along with the opposition are apparently trying to fill that void in governance.

Saladman posted:

I'm skeptical of that the Colombians were planning on removing their fence and going to send anything through there. I mean, it's not like that's the only bridge in the area. Also in any case the 'river' is a joke, it's not even a ditch. I'm sure it changes seasonally, but at least in the streetview images the border "river" in Cucuta is about 2 meters wide and literally no more than 30 centimeters deep. There's even a clear path for cars to go across it. You could traverse that river in a segway ( https://www.google.com/maps/@7.916688,-72.4625357,3a,75y,128.85h,81.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVswaoe0VFxrIr_COrOhFhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 )

The announcement that humanitarian aid was going to be warehoused and organized for delivery in Colombia and driven into Venezuela from there was made public on February 2, and named Cucuta as the place from which the aid would be delivered. Cucuta has three bridges connecting it to Venezuela: Santander and Simon Bolivar. The latter is used primarily a pedestrian bridge. The former is a one-way bridge in each direction. Tienditas is a brand-new, multi-lane bridge that has custom facilities and lots of parking space ideal for this kind of operation. Tienditas is by far the best bridge in the area to do something like this.

We've been seeing pictures and videos of trucks and other movement in the area all week:

https://twitter.com/RCTVenlinea/status/1094284440367452160

https://twitter.com/TVVnoticias/status/1094032777245310977

https://twitter.com/AcuarelaAriana/status/1093632613372313601

https://twitter.com/paolucci40/status/1093610899989061634

https://twitter.com/YoyotteYira/status/1093604081397100546

https://twitter.com/ElNacionalWeb/status/1093604021665959936

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QM-iVnsuM

Saladman posted:

But since the PSUV won't let them, what would having an unobstructed bridge change? They're not going to send trucks across loaded with cornflour and with no coordination with the Venezuelan government, or they would already be doing it.

You're assuming that there's no coordination on the Venezuelan side, and that's not true. The Venezuelan side (the opposition) were the ones who've organized things so far. As far as what happens to the aid once it reaches the first Venezuelan army roadblock, I don't think they have a plan beyond "hope that the army decides to not steal it", but I don't know what else they could do given the conditions. They've been pushing the amnesty law and Guaido has been making direct appeals to the army to let the aid in, so it definitely feels like a hail mary.

The PSUV has said, including Maduro, that they are not going to allow any aid into the country. They've been saying and doing this for years. This is the first time that the opposition has tried to coordinate an international effort to collect and deliver humanitarian aid on anything other than an individual scale, and look at how the regime and its supporters abroad are reacting.

Puerto Rico and Brazil are the two other places that are supposed to act as staging points for aid. CNN reports that Puerto Rico has already sent aid, but no one's confirming how it got to the country, but it was obviously by air or ship.

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure I understand the argument. Yes, ideally we'd have seen tonnes of aid streaming into Venezuela 24/7 through land, sea and air starting in 2015, but that's not the case, partially because Maduro and the rest of the PSUV have said for years that there's no humanitarian crisis in Venezuela and that they will not accept any aid. We're faulting (the opposition? the international community?) for not sending aid to Venezuela, and now that they're trying to do it we're also faulting them?

brugroffil posted:

Those were only three sights. There were 19 rifles in total.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Chuck Boone posted:

I guess what I'm saying is, I'm not sure I understand the argument. Yes, ideally we'd have seen tonnes of aid streaming into Venezuela 24/7 through land, sea and air starting in 2015, but that's not the case, partially because Maduro and the rest of the PSUV have said for years that there's no humanitarian crisis in Venezuela and that they will not accept any aid. We're faulting (the opposition? the international community?) for not sending aid to Venezuela, and now that they're trying to do it we're also faulting them?

Aid is great, and I'm not faulting the people on the ground in Cucuta, or doubting that Cucuta is full of warehouses of food.

What I'm saying is: Cucuta isn't exactly the only (or even a remotely good) way to actually ship things en masse into Venezuela. Venezuela has a lot of port infrastructure, this isn't North Yemen with one functioning port and no alternative options. I'm saying if there was any hope of the aid in Cucuta ever going through at all and getting anywhere, then it means why not just send it through Maracaibo or Maiquetia? Sending a cargo ship of food to Maiquetia seems about 100x more efficient than sending trucks to Cucuta. If the PSUV won't allow a cargo ship of free food to dock at any of the large Caribbean ports, then what hope did a bunch of trucks in Cucuta ever have? If Guaido can't even get access at a SINGLE port in the entire goddamn country to unload a single cargo ship of food, to encourage internal dissent of port workers to override Maduro's commands, or at least use this as a genuine rallying cry for international help then he's utterly useless. Unfortunately he does indeed seem to be utterly useless, as much as I admire his courage for trying to topple the Maduro dictatorship. I also think he, or almost literally anyone, would be a vast improvement over Maduro.

I mean yes the new bridge is way better equipped than the old ones for aid shipments, I'm just saying that with Maduro in power, it's totally irrelevant and Pompeo et al are just virtue signalling shitbags. I'm saying that they're intentionally being incompetent with sending "aid" to Venezuela via Cucuta and refusing to use any of the bridges except the one that was never even open. They are trying to send it in a way that maximizes the image that "we're helping and Maduro is evil" and that minimizes actual costs or utility. I mean, even one 18 wheeler of grain getting through is great and all in that it would feed hungry people, but the way it's being done is purely an exercise in image. From the perspective of the people organizing the aid sent to Cucuta, it seems like their opinion is "if someone happens to get food, that's great, but that's not even remotely our goal". So the good bridge is closed, OK it's been a week, why are they still twiddling with their dicks and not sending it across the other 2 bridges? Slower is better than not at all if you actually want to give aid and not score political points.

I don't think the aid is a CIA trojan horse for guns or whatever; there's plenty of unsecured border for weapons to go through. I just think it's purely an exercise in image. If they really wanted to force food into Venezuela, then ffs they should send a cargo ship of rice to Maiquetia and see if the dock workers let it in and unload it, or if the military steals it all. It's not like Maiquetia is a closed port, there are cargo ships going in and out of there every day carrying goods of all different sorts. Pompeo and the MSM are acting like Venezuela is the DPRK and that bridge is the only way across the DMZ. I also don't subscribe to the "lol MSM === fake news" hot takes, but this story reeks to me even if what Pompeo has said is technically true. But, like many RT stories, "technically accurate" can be quite misleading.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 10, 2019

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Reuters posted:

Exclusive: Venezuela shifts oil ventures' accounts to Russian bank - document, sources

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1PY0N3

Apologies if this has been posted already.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

2. And how exactly are they going to zero those in without prior training

There were still at least some optics though.

I'd imagine that if this actually were part of foreign arming of contra like forces, there would be more than one shipment. Would each individual shipment necessarily be full kits?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Saladman posted:

Aid is great, and I'm not faulting the people on the ground in Cucuta, or doubting that Cucuta is full of warehouses of food.

What I'm saying is: Cucuta isn't exactly the only (or even a remotely good) way to actually ship things en masse into Venezuela. Venezuela has a lot of port infrastructure, this isn't North Yemen with one functioning port and no alternative options. I'm saying if there was any hope of the aid in Cucuta ever going through at all and getting anywhere, then it means why not just send it through Maracaibo or Maiquetia? Sending a cargo ship of food to Maiquetia seems about 100x more efficient than sending trucks to Cucuta. If the PSUV won't allow a cargo ship of free food to dock at any of the large Caribbean ports, then what hope did a bunch of trucks in Cucuta ever have? If Guaido can't even get access at a SINGLE port in the entire goddamn country to unload a single cargo ship of food, to encourage internal dissent of port workers to override Maduro's commands, or at least use this as a genuine rallying cry for international help then he's utterly useless. Unfortunately he does indeed seem to be utterly useless, as much as I admire his courage for trying to topple the Maduro dictatorship. I also think he, or almost literally anyone, would be a vast improvement over Maduro.

I mean yes the new bridge is way better equipped than the old ones for aid shipments, I'm just saying that with Maduro in power, it's totally irrelevant and Pompeo et al are just virtue signalling shitbags. I'm saying that they're intentionally being incompetent with sending "aid" to Venezuela via Cucuta and refusing to use any of the bridges except the one that was never even open. They are trying to send it in a way that maximizes the image that "we're helping and Maduro is evil" and that minimizes actual costs or utility. I mean, even one 18 wheeler of grain getting through is great and all in that it would feed hungry people, but the way it's being done is purely an exercise in image. From the perspective of the people organizing the aid sent to Cucuta, it seems like their opinion is "if someone happens to get food, that's great, but that's not even remotely our goal". So the good bridge is closed, OK it's been a week, why are they still twiddling with their dicks and not sending it across the other 2 bridges? Slower is better than not at all if you actually want to give aid and not score political points.

I don't think the aid is a CIA trojan horse for guns or whatever; there's plenty of unsecured border for weapons to go through. I just think it's purely an exercise in image. If they really wanted to force food into Venezuela, then ffs they should send a cargo ship of rice to Maiquetia and see if the dock workers let it in and unload it, or if the military steals it all. It's not like Maiquetia is a closed port, there are cargo ships going in and out of there every day carrying goods of all different sorts. Pompeo and the MSM are acting like Venezuela is the DPRK and that bridge is the only way across the DMZ. I also don't subscribe to the "lol MSM === fake news" hot takes, but this story reeks to me even if what Pompeo has said is technically true. But, like many RT stories, "technically accurate" can be quite misleading.

This is a great post

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

brugroffil posted:

I'd imagine that if this actually were part of foreign arming of contra like forces, there would be more than one shipment. Would each individual shipment necessarily be full kits?

I would say that having an iron sight does not constitute a full kit. It constitutes a basic part of the rifle that is needed for effective operation. You cant use that thing without an iron sight at least. LR scopes are wonderful if you're in a syrian style engagement but this is not that. The Venezuelan resistance has suffered due in part to the lack of weaponry available to non government or non government-leaning drug gangs. Gangs run around with AKs and poo poo and private citizens have no benefit of proliferation. So since I know this I assume the CIA has a nice thick file on why they probably want the weapons to be usable when they hit the ground not unusable.

Being that these weapons are unusable in current form, It's more likely the government or smugglers were bringing them in. Smugglers would have the facilities to get these things ready to go, and are less QC than the CIA about having proper mags. This shipment is way too sloppy to be CIA, The maduristas cannot on say the CIA is running a massive operation to destroy the Venezuelan economy and in the same breath go "Gee what a bunch of buffoons they cant even smuggle usable weapons in!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/1094265370574245888?s=19

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
do people normally believe cops when they brag about how important their latest bust was?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cease to Hope posted:

do people normally believe cops when they brag about how important their latest bust was?

I think it's more that we have independent verification that this freight company was behaving incredibly suspiciously with a curious lack of regard for US law enforcement. They were clearly smuggling something, and it was clearly urgent (40 flights in a month) and the Venezuelan authorities' haul is weirdly underwhelming for an exaggerated fabrication.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Cease to Hope posted:

I dunno... I mean, like 80% yes? I mean the 'importance' is bullshit, but I tend to believe that the actual busts are real and that the photos aren't just of a bunch of flour in saran wrap.

It also seems likely to me that the Venezuelan customs actually found those weapons on the plane. Even though the PSUV has a strong a track record of planting weapons in people's cars, this particular case doesn't seem to have led to any arrests or whatever. I would have only strongly suspected the seizure to be fake if they said if all the weapons had a little luggage tag with Guaido's name and handwriting and fingerprints on it.

As to its relevance to the CIA or coups or whatever well... that I am skeptical of, just like when cops claim that seizing 1000 kg of cocaine in San Diego has even the slightest impact on cocaine availability or usage or prices.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Has this been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STcepwXxwWA

This is probably the best thing I've seen so far that covers the ongoing coup. About the only thing it doesn't mention is Elliot Abrams. But it covers all the other bullshit spin surrounding the coup.

I'm going to advocate that people ought to share this video with their friends and family members, or try to spread it as far as they can on social media - it is probably the most accesible and nearly comprehensive video thus far, argued in a very persuasive manner by the host. (Well aside from him tilting his neck to the side through the whole thing.)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

brugroffil posted:

Not if they're intended for a particular purpose, like sniping crowds to create chaos.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31359021

Contrary to War Crime Gigolo's insistence, the guns are more than usable. It shouldn't be assumed that illegal operations are going to be logistically perfect, or even that the CIA was necessarily on the operating end of the smuggling - or even that the CIA itself ordered it. The CIA doesn't have a monopoly on foreign espionage. Certainly not after all the privatization that's been going on in the US intelligence community.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
I'm not going to pretend to know what that flight was about. However, all this talk about smuggling guns is plain silly. It's easier to find guns in Venezuela than it is to get your hands on certain basic food staples. Even regular street gangs sometimes have access to military level weaponry. If you have cash and you know someone, you can get a gun and you can even buy stuff from the military. Hell, you could just smuggle poo poo through Colombia or Brasil and call it a day. Yet the CIA is supposedly arming rebels 19 guns at a time using easily-tracked planes?

Let's add to that the question – who the gently caress are they supposedly arming? For all the protests that have gone on throughout the years, the overwhelming majority of violent events and casualties have been inflicted on the opposition. The government forces fire at protesters, kill some of them, detain more, torture people, and even with all that poo poo, the number of times when protesters returned that violence is minimal. The opposition isn't going to 'arm itself' for a civil war – it's a peaceful movement. If you fail to understand that, then you have zero clue about what's going on in Venezuela.

Now is the time when you parade that time when opposition protesters burned someone alive, or set up wires to maim motorcycle riders, or set some buildings on fire, and you pretend that's what it's all about. The fact is, you can't repress people that long without expecting them to at least fight back some. If the opposition movement were violent, there would be a whole lot more dead people, but that's something that you conveniently ignore.

Labradoodle fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 10, 2019

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I would say that having an iron sight does not constitute a full kit. It constitutes a basic part of the rifle that is needed for effective operation. You cant use that thing without an iron sight at least. LR scopes are wonderful if you're in a syrian style engagement but this is not that. The Venezuelan resistance has suffered due in part to the lack of weaponry available to non government or non government-leaning drug gangs. Gangs run around with AKs and poo poo and private citizens have no benefit of proliferation. So since I know this I assume the CIA has a nice thick file on why they probably want the weapons to be usable when they hit the ground not unusable.

Being that these weapons are unusable in current form, It's more likely the government or smugglers were bringing them in. Smugglers would have the facilities to get these things ready to go, and are less QC than the CIA about having proper mags. This shipment is way too sloppy to be CIA, The maduristas cannot on say the CIA is running a massive operation to destroy the Venezuelan economy and in the same breath go "Gee what a bunch of buffoons they cant even smuggle usable weapons in!"

Couple points.

1 - Iron sights are ridiculously easy to craft compared to actual guns. Makeshift ones can be cobbled together out of improvised materials.

2 - You might need ironsights for effective combat between fighting forces, but you don't need ironsights to threaten or murder regular people.

And on that note; the contras Elliot Abrams is known for - those rightwing death squads that were trained by us? They lost every engagement with actual fighting forces. Because their only real purpose was to terrorize and murder civilians. They were used to throwing toddlers up in the air to catch on their bayonets and arranging dead bodies of decapitated families & crucified genital-severed farmers around into Jeffrey Dahmer corpse-art. Not facing people who could actually fight and shoot back effectively.

The point of smuggling the arms in is to give the death squads party favors to murder and terrorize regular people, and destabilize the country. Of course any mass-murders & genocide of indigenous peoples that happen are likely gonna just be covered up once again by loving Elliot Abrams for the billionth time.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 10, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Labradoodle posted:

I'm not going to pretend to know what that flight was about. However, all this talk about smuggling guns is plain silly. It's easier to find guns in Venezuela than it is to get your hands on certain basic food staples. Even regular street gangs sometimes have access to military level weaponry. If you have cash and you know someone, you can get a gun and you can even buy stuff from the military. Hell, you could just smuggle poo poo through Colombia or Brasil and call it a day. Yet the CIA is supposedly arming rebels 19 guns at a time using easily-tracked planes?

Let's add to that the question – who the gently caress are they supposedly arming? For all the protests that have gone on throughout the years, the overwhelming majority of violent events and casualties have been inflicted on the opposition. The government forces fire at protesters, kill some of them, detain more, torture people, and even with all that poo poo, the number of times when protesters returned that violence is minimal. The opposition isn't going to 'arm itself' for a civil war – it's a peaceful movement. If you fail to understand that, then you have zero clue about what's going on in Venezuela.

Now is the time when you parade that time when opposition protesters burned someone alive, or set up wires to maim motorcycle riders, or set some buildings on fire, and you pretend that's what it's all about. The fact is, you can't repress people that long without expecting them to at least fight back some. If the opposition movement were violent, there would be a whole lot more dead people, but that's something that you conveniently ignore.

Again, we have independent verification that this company was rapidly transferring... something... out of a major US airport to Colombia and Venezuela while concealing its employer and having people who'd previously done work for the CIA on its payroll. Sometimes, the stupid, nonsensical answer is the correct one.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni

Spacedad posted:

And on that note; the contras Elliot Abrams is known for - those rightwing death squads that were trained by us? They lost every engagement with actual fighting forces. Because their only real purpose was to terrorize and murder civilians. They were used to throwing toddlers up in the air to catch on their bayonets and arranging dead bodies of decapitated families around in Jeffrey Dahmer art. Not facing people who could actually fight and shoot back effectively.

The point of smuggling the arms in is to give the death squads party favors to murder and terrorize regular people, and destabilize the country. Of course any mass-murders & genocide of indigenous peoples that happen are likely gonna just be covered up once again by loving Elliot Abrams for the billionth time.

Anyone half-informed about what's going on in Venezuela would know about the government's own death squads, called FAES. However, not knowing anything about Venezuela has never stopped most people from emitting opinions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-police/inside-a-raid-in-maduros-crackdown-on-critics-in-venezuela-slums-idUSKCN1PS07M
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/06/venezuela-faes-special-forces-nicolas-maduro-barrios4
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/world/americas/venezuela-maduro-protests-faes.html
https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2019/01/29/as-petare-rises-up-faes-wages-war-on-the-poor/

While we're at it, let's talk about indigenous people. Again, someone with even the vaguest notion of what's going on in Venezuela would know the government gives exactly zero fucks about them. Not only did they strip them of their representation in the National Assembly on a whim, but indigenous communities in Venezuela are ravaged by disease, pushed off their lands, and have no choice but to emigrate en masse.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/08/27/world/social-issues-world/venezuela-crisis-turns-indigenous-people-displaced-lost-tribe-brazil/
https://www.hivplusmag.com/stigma/2018/5/07/aids-threatens-venezuelas-indigenous-population
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-spain-politics-catalonia/madrid-demonstrators-reject-governments-catalonia-policy-idUSKCN1PZ0CY

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

I'm talking strictly about Elliot Abrams and what he is known for doing. So far the US's policy has been following his playbook to a T.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's pretty moronic to look at a dude who previously shipped weapons into a S. American country under the guise of US Aid and committed war crimes and then think "this isn't happening again" as that same dude tries to ship weapons into S. America via US Aid, esp after UN and Red Cross said please don't.

Like drat you gotta stick your head into the sand pretty far on that one

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Labradoodle posted:

Anyone half-informed about what's going on in Venezuela would know about the government's own death squads, called FAES. However, not knowing anything about Venezuela has never stopped most people from emitting opinions.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-venezuela-politics-police/inside-a-raid-in-maduros-crackdown-on-critics-in-venezuela-slums-idUSKCN1PS07M
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/feb/06/venezuela-faes-special-forces-nicolas-maduro-barrios4
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/30/world/americas/venezuela-maduro-protests-faes.html
https://www.caracaschronicles.com/2019/01/29/as-petare-rises-up-faes-wages-war-on-the-poor/

While we're at it, let's talk about indigenous people. Again, someone with even the vaguest notion of what's going on in Venezuela would know the government gives exactly zero fucks about them. Not only did they strip them of their representation in the National Assembly on a whim, but indigenous communities in Venezuela are ravaged by disease, pushed off their lands, and have no choice but to emigrate en masse.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/08/27/world/social-issues-world/venezuela-crisis-turns-indigenous-people-displaced-lost-tribe-brazil/
https://www.hivplusmag.com/stigma/2018/5/07/aids-threatens-venezuelas-indigenous-population
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-spain-politics-catalonia/madrid-demonstrators-reject-governments-catalonia-policy-idUSKCN1PZ0CY

IDK what the point of this (inflammatory) post even is. Yeah poo poo is hosed up there I'm sure but lol if you think the USA is going to treat indigeneous peoples any better or that the US death squads will somehow be better.

It's still not a sound argument for foreign intervention. Why doesn't the US stop supporting 70%+ of the world's dictatorships if it has such a heart of gold?

quote:

but indigenous communities in Venezuela are ravaged by disease, pushed off their lands, and have no choice but to emigrate en masse. 

Yeah as they have been in the USA for hundreds of years up to this very day.

Maybe the CIA can teach their death squads how to trail of tears.

You're basically wanting the actual devil to come help you and believing his promises that he won't take your soul afterwards. But he will as he has the previous dozen times he has 'helped.'

You think John Bolton and Donald Trump give a poo poo about Venezuelans? Pretty sure Trump couldn't even pick Venezuela out on a map. How much does Bolton talk about oil vs Venezuelan peasants?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 10, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/mcyost/status/1094590970811830274

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We refused aid Cuba offered to Puerto Rico too which afaik is still just a total shambles.

USA doesn't even give a poo poo about its own territories and states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Labradoodle posted:

What does any of this have to do with anything being discussed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)