Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

There's a guy I used to live opposite who took his curtains down when he had a stupid huge TV delivered and installed opposite the window. It was a conspicuous display of wealth in a lovely terrace house in a low-income area and I'm amazed he never got broken into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

mostlygray posted:

Exactly. I only lock my doors out of habit. If no-one is home, all you have to do is break a back window and come in. As far as I'm concerned, please steal my TV, I could use a new one. Anything else I have only has only personal value, or is too heavy to carry out without a team.

Yup. Even residential safes basically exist to inconvenience a thief long enough that they get nervous and leave instead.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Megillah Gorilla posted:

If someone wants to get into your home, they will.

While true there are also people that are looking to get into a house if the doors are unlocked but don’t want to break through anything, it’s not all or nothing.

Now I’m still redoing all my basement windows and putting a window in my shed this summer. Light and air are both nice things and hopefully my dumb rear end Arlos would pick up any attempts.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Liquid Communism posted:

Yup. Even residential safes basically exist to inconvenience a thief long enough that they get nervous and leave instead.

Meh. Most "safes" are just boxes you hope survive a fire with the papers inside intact. They'll keep your kids out, but that's about it.

Even an expensive "gun safe" is more properly called a Residential Security Container, not a safe, and only needs to withstand 5 minutes of attack with hand tools to get certified. Something as simple as installing the door opening against a wall (opposite how your fridge door opens, if that makes sense) makes it significantly harder to break in to. With the opening side towards the wall you can't use the leverage of a crow bar to just pop it open.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

cakesmith handyman posted:

There's a guy I used to live opposite who took his curtains down when he had a stupid huge TV delivered and installed opposite the window. It was a conspicuous display of wealth in a lovely terrace house in a low-income area and I'm amazed he never got broken into.

Grats on him being stupid and introducing more glare on his brand new screen.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh yeah, there was a documentary about this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glFVXpz_abQ

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I also have voile curtains on all my windows so people can't just look in from the street and see everything inside my house. I'll never understand people who have nothing for privacy and I can walk along the street and clearly see them watching TV from the couch.

Some of us enjoy natural light and our only big windows face the street. Also, at least where I live nobody's wandering around staring into open windows like a creep.

I don't understand the people where you walk into their house and it's like entering a cave, every window is blacked out and the only light is artificial. Why even have windows?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That's the point of stuff like voile curtains - it allows natural light and the benefits of windows without turning your house into a fishbowl.

And depending on how your house/street is laid out, sometimes people don't have to be creeps - there are lots of houses where the front room windows are basically two feet from the sidewalk at eye level, so anyone walking by can and will see in. That's much less common in the US but still happens.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

When I was in Amsterdam it was interesting to see most people in the city leaving their front doors wide open and being able to peek inside. A lot of people were also just hanging out on a nice day drinking wine on their porch so naturally I really want to move there.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

The Dave posted:

When I was in Amsterdam it was interesting to see most people in the city leaving their front doors wide open and being able to peek inside. A lot of people were also just hanging out on a nice day drinking wine on their porch so naturally I really want to move there.

One thing I miss about living in the college section of a college town. Good old front porch day drinking.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

The Dave posted:

Don't you often see in Amsterdam babies just left in their strollers outside of restaurants while the parents are inside? I swear I remember reading something like that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

While I didn’t witness that, it sounds like another mark in the pro column.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I bought a house out in the country so I could have all my windows completely uncovered all the time and give no fucks. Even my 2 garage windows.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
The previous owners of our half duplex had padlocked bars on every window of the house, very efficient for killing everyone in the home in the event of a fire. I took off the bars from the upstairs windows when we moved in, but left the ones on the ground floor so that anyone wanting to break into the house will have an easier time getting into the neighbour's side of the duplex that doesn't have any bars, and hopefully leave our place alone.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Quarry down the road is causing problems to my home/property.
(self.legaladvice)

Located in IL. a quarry recently expanded it's operations and moved within 1 mile of my house I bought last year. Two times, the entire house has shook from an "earthquake". The quarry is for cement, and everything in this area is sitting on giant slabs of limestone. So I think when they blast, the limestone under my property is moving. I've never felt anything like it. Also, Since the new pit has gone in, my well casing has cracked, causing loads of sediment to come into my water system. This isn't a huge problem, but im having to replace my water softener filters once every other week. (16" whole house filters). The well company recommended drilling a new well. Also, my gravel driveway has started to erode, and fall down the hill suddenly. The previous owners never had a problem with this, but I do ever since the expansion. Id hate to see what happens when they get deep, and cause more damage like foundation issues. Is there anything I can do? The pit is roughly 1/2 - 3/4 miles away. Thanks

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jfc this guy needs to do something, not post on Reddit

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So it's winter and my apartment is 15c and my bedroom window is constantly covered in moisture to the point that there's tiny plants and moss growing along the bottom. I had a strip of privacy film on it too that I had to remove because i noticed it's spotted black with mold, no good.

Moving forward is there anything I can do to minimize this? It's a lovely 1930's single pane wood frame window. All the window moisture is dripping down into the bottom of the frame and collecting and it's stained black along with some moss. Another window actually has a little plant with leaves growing.

Is there anything me as a tenant can do in this situation? Landlord wants to replace all the windows in the building "one day" so I doubt he'd care if I put some weird film over it or did a lovely caulking job or what ever.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Baronjutter posted:

Landlord wants to replace all the windows in the building "one day" so I doubt he'd care if I put some weird film over it or did a lovely caulking job or what ever.

Wrong, landlord will do nothing while you live there, and when you move out, any stop-gap fix you can’t invisibly remove will be assessed as damages so that he can partially fund the window replacement on your dime.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Bad Munki posted:

Wrong, landlord will do nothing while you live there, and when you move out, any stop-gap fix you can’t invisibly remove will be assessed as damages so that he can partially fund the window replacement on your dime.

He's actually a super good landlord and is constantly fixing and renovating needed poo poo. Put a new roof on last year, upgraded the under-performing furnace before that, cleared out a bunch of over-grown hedges when people complained about natural light, refuses to put rents up during a crisis when every other landlord is using every trick in the book to max out their increases because he has some actual ethics. He's a good guy, he's just a bit over-loaded constantly keeping an 1930's building held together.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

He's actually a super good landlord and is constantly fixing and renovating needed poo poo. Put a new roof on last year, upgraded the under-performing furnace before that, cleared out a bunch of over-grown hedges when people complained about natural light, refuses to put rents up during a crisis when every other landlord is using every trick in the book to max out their increases because he has some actual ethics. He's a good guy, he's just a bit over-loaded constantly keeping an 1930's building held together.

Have you actually told your landlord about the greenhouse on your window sills? Because that usually means the window casing is rotting and the wall is next. You need new windows and you need it now, anything else is a bandaid on an arterial bleed.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ha, internal bleeding is actually a really good analogy here.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

for the record, those films you put over your windows and shrink with a heat gun or blow dryer tend to have pretty gentle adhesive

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

In Rod we trust.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My garage doesn't even have a door.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Baronjutter posted:

So it's winter and my apartment is 15c and my bedroom window is constantly covered in moisture to the point that there's tiny plants and moss growing along the bottom.
If you could heat the place to a more regular room temperature, that would help your problem a lot. I'm assuming that's not possible for whatever reason?

Heating up the place and frequent airing is basically how you help prevent mold.

I guess you can improvise some flashing from adhesive foil and a gutter to evacuate most of the water into some recipient, but that seems like it wouldn't be a great permanent solution.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did they just lay the pavers on bare earth?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

This is a great post. That single bar holding the rotting sun room was my favorite.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Burt Sexual posted:

This is a great post. That single bar holding the rotting sun room was my favorite.

There's plenty more in the dump, but those were the most germane to this thread: https://imgur.com/gallery/wrH0LA5

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bad Munki posted:

There's plenty more in the dump, but those were the most germane to this thread: https://imgur.com/gallery/wrH0LA5

Uh what? It’s clearly not structural

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you could heat the place to a more regular room temperature, that would help your problem a lot. I'm assuming that's not possible for whatever reason?

Heating up the place and frequent airing is basically how you help prevent mold.

I guess you can improvise some flashing from adhesive foil and a gutter to evacuate most of the water into some recipient, but that seems like it wouldn't be a great permanent solution.

We don't usually get snow/winters here but we do now plus extreme winds so the situation is just extra bad. The upside to the building leaking air so much is that we don't have rot/mold problems. Landlord had to open up an exterior wall in our bathroom to fix some actual rot from a slow unreported bathtub leak from the unit above and other than the water damage from the leak, the rest of the wall looked great. It's a really well built little apartment building, was the first building in the city to have natural gas and they really wanted to go all-out luxury and high-tech for the 30's

All the other windows in my place are dry. Sure they get some condensation, but never sweat pooling because there's so much airflow in the building (too much, that's why we're so drat cold). The reason this one window got really bad is the privacy film I had over top was trapping moisture, with it gone I hope the situation will get a bit better. My old 1950's place with single pane metal windows would sweat so bad you'd have pools of water overflowing off the window sills. lovely windows plus zero roof overhang isn't a great combo. This building though it's pretty traditional looking so it's got a nice pitched roof with ample overhang which keeps the walls nice and dry for anything but the worst driving rain.

Landlord wants to try to do windows in the summer, wanted to do them last summer but we had a surprise turn-over in most of the units so he spent most of the summer frantically painting and fixing the units up for the next tenants. He also knows new windows are going to be a huge disruption for all the tenants, I'm not looking forward to that, but gently caress I want new windows.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My bedroom has been around 12 degrees for a month or so and there's no visible moisture or moisture damage anywhere. Maybe it helps that the place was built in 1876 or something.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Burt Sexual posted:

Uh what? It’s clearly not structural

This one (and ones from this building) came up before. The building was retrofitted for new CA earthquake codes.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slanderer posted:

This one (and ones from this building) came up before. The building was retrofitted for new CA earthquake codes.

Sorry to go back. But how is a cabinet going to secure the building? Unless it’s a useless cabinet now with a steel beam wrapped in decor.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I had a corner of my bedroom that would get damp enough to grow mold so I stuck a dehumidifier there and let it run all day and that fixed the issue until the real problem could be fixed. Worked for about a year.

Burt Sexual posted:

Sorry to go back. But how is a cabinet going to secure the building? Unless it’s a useless cabinet now with a steel beam wrapped in decor.

That is a steel beam running right through the wall to an exterior masonry wall. The cabinets were built around it. It also goes right through the floor.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Things not to do to a mid-century house:

Before:

After:

lol look how crappy this wood plank thing is

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like the wood slats way more than the brick but yeah awful job.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I would buy that third pictured house.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I would also buy the second house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Slugworth posted:

I would also buy the second house.

Hopefully there is no snow plowing there