Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Slate on how Malek, Close and Green Book may conspire to make this the most braindead Oscar ever

https://slate.trib.al/BYmZ9H1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

E: double post

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Vegetable posted:

Slate on how Malek, Close and Green Book may conspire to make this the most braindead Oscar ever

Username checks out.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Vegetable posted:

this is true on all counts. it sucks glenn close has never won but she absolutely does not deserve it for this mediocre movie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm glad we can talk about how lifeless Malek is, and I like the guy a lot. But he's got such dead eyes that he might as well be a cgi character.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Despite being fired for not showing up to set and having multiple accusations of assault and pedophilia against him, Bryan Singer will probably make about $40 million from Bohemian Rhapsody. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/heat-vision/bryan-singer-stands-make-40-million-bohemian-rhapsody-1181130

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Having finally seen the Favourite, I think it may win some hardware. Costume drama, Trump allegory, and Emma Stone- it checks a lot of boxes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

DrVenkman posted:

I'm glad we can talk about how lifeless Malek is, and I like the guy a lot. But he's got such dead eyes that he might as well be a cgi character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z_FwAy23OU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Generally speaking, the Oscars seem like a total shitshow and like no one has any idea what they're doing.

but Lady Gaga is cool

quote:

Either today or tomorrow, the Academy will start leveling with what it is planning for the 91st Oscars on February 24. The Academy tweeted last night that all five nominated songs will be performed during the telecast, and insiders said that reports that only two — the Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper team-up “Shallow” from A Star Is Born, and Kendrick Lamar’s “All the Stars” from Black Panther — would be performed, were premature and only reflective of a proposal.

Since we’re dishing, here’s what I was told. The producers wanted to limit it to those two songs, and the reason the Academy walked back that decision was because either Lady Gaga herself, or her reps, made it clear she felt it was completely unfair to eliminated the three songs — almost like the Academy producers were forecasting who they thought would win — and that she wouldn’t perform if a change wasn’t made. And that’s why the Academy tweeted that all the songs will be shown, even if the tunes are truncated. Which means Jennifer Hudson will perform the RBG docu theme “I’ll Fight,” along with the Willie Watson-Tim Blake Nelson tune “When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs for Wings” from The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, and the nominated Mary Poppins Returns tune “The Place Where Lost Things Go” will be featured — even though Emily Blunt, who sang in the movie, is apprehensive about singing it live under so much pressure, and another artist will do the song.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DC Murderverse posted:

Generally speaking, the Oscars seem like a total shitshow and like no one has any idea what they're doing.

but Lady Gaga is cool

That category is poo poo.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Daniel Day Lewis really went and retired and killed any interest I had in awards season.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Also, Rami Malek is an awful actor and I can't believe that bug-eyed creep is going to win an Oscar.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Green Book is a touching film about an Italian man who learns to be only a little bit racist and teaches his black friend to love fried chicken.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

DrVenkman posted:

The whole movie is lifeless. Its so bafflingly amateur it’s hard to believe it’s directed by an industry veteran, gross rear end in a top hat aside. The shots are either super flat, or overly dramatic for little to no reason. The lighting is often done up like a horror film, and for some reason this is a look they found okay.

But it shows how good Queen’s music is that it can make a big ol stinky turd into a best picture nominee.

I posted a few of clips in gen chat that really sum up how poo poo it is

there is nothing like this scene in the rest of the film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_s5nZ1PcOU&t=51s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9TLuJCjtlc&t=331s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM7qNm_Mmrw&t=134s

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The movie (and those clips) looks awful but it's hugely popular and my local arthouse theater keeps playing it. I like to think screening it helps them subsidize all the other worthy films, which I'm okay with.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Pretty impressed by how incompetently this is shot. Actually Malek doesn't even look half decent here either. Would be a sham if he won.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I just watched Widows, and it is like a movie made within the world of Ocean's 11. It's weird because it's trying to deal with real issues in Chicago while also having Liam Neeson's almost supervillain like millionaire thief. It's like it takes place in a Chicago that still has real Chicago problems, but also plays by outlandish movie rules. It's weird and I can't tell how I feel about it, but it's A LOT.

CelticPredator posted:

The whole movie is lifeless. Its so bafflingly amateur it’s hard to believe it’s directed by an industry veteran, gross rear end in a top hat aside. The shots are either super flat, or overly dramatic for little to no reason. The lighting is often done up like a horror film, and for some reason this is a look they found okay.
Singer is someone who has directed four X-Men movies--AKA the queerest superheroes ever--and made them into pretty sterile and cold affairs. He's not an incompetent director, but he's always had a habit of creating surprisingly cold films.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The DGA awards were last night, and Cuarón won for Roma. Meanwhile, in what was undoubtedly the most unexpected win of the night, Bo Burnham took the First Time Director award for Eighth Grade. This was over Bradley Cooper, who was the only nominee who was also nominated in the Feature Film category and was the favorite leading up to the event.

Awards are loving weird.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 3, 2019

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that one bohemian rhapsody scene making the rounds on twitter is probably the worst editing i've seen in a major motion picture outside suicide squad.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

that one bohemian rhapsody scene making the rounds on twitter is probably the worst editing i've seen in a major motion picture outside suicide squad.

No, that honor goes to Vice, which is barely a loving movie at all, but rather an Urban Dictionary page rendered into the corpse of a screenplay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Baronash posted:

The DGA awards were last night, and Cuarón won for Roma. Meanwhile, in what was undoubtedly the most unexpected win of the night, Bo Burnham took the First Time Director award for [b]Eighth Grade[/i]. This was over Bradley Cooper, who was the only nominee who was also nominated in the Feature Film category and was the favorite leading up to the event.

Awards are loving weird.

I can dig this. Eighth Grade was the better film.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

No, that honor goes to Vice, which is barely a loving movie at all, but rather an Urban Dictionary page rendered into the corpse of a screenplay.

that's not really an editing issue.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It sure felt like one. Been a while since I've watched such trash so I'm willing to blame anyone who showed up to work at this point.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a screenplay issue. it's not like a change in editing would've made it a better or more coherent film.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Everything I've seen of Bohemian Rhapsody makes it look like a parody. I almost want to see it because some of it's actually pretty funny. But what the hell is going on with Malek's teeth/mouth? I don't give a poo poo if it's more "accurate" or whatever, it's annoying and it looks stupid.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Everything I've seen of Bohemian Rhapsody makes it look like a parody. I almost want to see it because some of it's actually pretty funny. But what the hell is going on with Malek's teeth/mouth? I don't give a poo poo if it's more "accurate" or whatever, it's annoying and it looks stupid.

He's very clearly struggling with the prosthesis, too. I don't know what possessed everyone to think that was a good idea.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Sacha Baron Cohen would have been better on so many levels

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched Tom Hardy get into a fish tank and eat a live lobster last night, and I'm appalled this performance hasn't been recognized by the Academy. I'm completely serious.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I watched Tom Hardy get into a fish tank and eat a live lobster last night, and I'm appalled this performance hasn't been recognized by the Academy. I'm completely serious.

Tom Hardy is really just having a blast in that movie. Before it came out he said his "favourite" 40 minutes had been cut out, but you know full well it's just more goofy poo poo like that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a genuinely good performance that keeps you watching what would have otherwise been a DC universe quality movie. I'm glad Mark Kermode broke away from the critical groupthought and essentially said it's a bad film that he ended up quite enjoying. I didn't really have any desire to watch it until the early reviews came back saying "Yeah this isn't good, but you kind of have to see it". Good on Tom Hardy.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

General Dog posted:

First Man not getting a nomination for Best Score is insane.

Good point. It's actually really, really, surprising, the more I listen to it.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a genuinely good performance that keeps you watching what would have otherwise been a DC universe quality movie. I'm glad Mark Kermode broke away from the critical groupthought and essentially said it's a bad film that he ended up quite enjoying. I didn't really have any desire to watch it until the early reviews came back saying "Yeah this isn't good, but you kind of have to see it". Good on Tom Hardy.

Venom was loving awful and I loved every minute of it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They should put that on the poster.

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018
Honestly there’s a certain demographic that would be really responsive to that kind of marketing, and I am a part of that demographic.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I'm gonna go see a movie tonight; should I watch Green Book, Cold War, or all the oscar nominated shorts?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
-Green Book if you want a hatewatch
-Cold War is immaculately gorgeous & should be seen on the big screen, but it could leave you feeling cold, though it does hit that 90-minute sweetspot.
-The Oscar-nominated shorts obviously have the most variety and probably the choice you are most likely to have fun at.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quandary posted:

I'm gonna go see a movie tonight; should I watch Green Book, Cold War, or all the oscar nominated shorts?

Cold War is one of the top 3 films of 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Quandary posted:

Best Short Film is the only Oscar category that consistently features quality nominees, so watch those.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Coaaab posted:

-Green Book if you want a hatewatch
Green Book isn't even worth hate-watching because it's a perfectly competently made film on most counts that just happens to be loving gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hey, over in the slightly redundant Oscars thread I am running a ballot contest for Oscar night. I have only four responses so far!