Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

bengy81 posted:

Ever get the feeling we were fleeced out of a future?

By what right does this forgotten future seek to deny us our birthright?

You know, I've always considered self-destruction the most obvious answer to the Fermi paradox. I wasn't really counting on getting to witness it first hand, but so it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Best Friends posted:

To be fair to that horrible weirdo, the popular imagination, left right and center, vastly overestimates the intelligence and foresight of banks.

(I work for a bank)

Also it's entirely possible the banks have figured the government will bail them out.

Its actually kind of weird: Banks know beachfront is high risk in the future.

But they don't care: Average 30 year mortgage lasts 7-10 years before they go bankrupt or sell. Also, banks still get the money if you can't insure the property, and insurance companies are the ones who really bite you here, because unless you are willing to pay a VERY high rate, you won't get your home insurance for beachfront.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Checking in for clownball

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The RC cola of football

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Mercedes Carrera, a regular on Gavin Mcinnes' show and Right Wing Gamergater was arrested for sexual abuse of a minor:

https://www.newsweek.com/mercedes-c...sc7UB0_r78ltJew

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Here's trump jr being as tasteful as his father

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

We interrupt this climate nihilism marathon to remind you the navy still hasn't learned how to drive

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/02/06/two-ships-collide-off-the-eastern-seaboard/

quote:

No personnel were injured and both the cruiser Leyte Gulf and the Robert E. Peary — a Lewis and Clark-class dry cargo and ammunition vessel operated by Military Sealift Command — were able to safely operate after their sterns touched around 4 p.m. Tuesday, according to a Navy press release issued about four hours later.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

We interrupt this climate nihilism marathon to remind you the navy still hasn't learned how to drive

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2019/02/06/two-ships-collide-off-the-eastern-seaboard/

Went too slow or fast and the water pulled the ships together. No matter how good of a ship driver you are, if you gently caress that up, you're gonna smack into the other ship.

I want to say that going too slow will cause the ships to come together? It's been a long time since I've had to think about it.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Aren't some seed banks also getting wrecked by climate change

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 10, 2019

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Kawasaki Nun posted:

I want my future children to collect billionaire scalps, just like their ol'man used to!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
am i supposed to be for or against that political cartoon

because it speaks to me

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Vasudus posted:

because it speaks to me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm in the for camp myself.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

This thread has me really depressed.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm pretty sure this is meant to be showing a "bad" future but I'm a-ok with this

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

:cheers:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Waroduce posted:

I lived in midtown Miami, next to wynwood while the Zika virus was happening. Wynwood is alot of outdoor bars and artsy hipster places very much the hot area of miami and during the like 2 months Zika was a thing the place was a ghost town and a bunch of smaller bars straight went out of business

That's nuts. I had heard there was a bit of a panic for a little while but never knew how substantial it was.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Casimir Radon posted:

I was going to say, y'all are rays of loving sunshine today.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

This GBS thread will salve your soul but it doesn't get good until page 3 or so

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881056&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

E:

This one's even better, classic 2005 style hijinx. Hey goonz, help me make a candle out this roast turkey

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881640&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 10, 2019

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

In 1000 years the few small tribal villages that exist at the extreme ends of the globe will talk of ancient empires so powerful that people could fly around the world and make fireballs that would vaporize entire cities. Our technology will be gone. We’re going to lose so much.

Ever read A Canticle For Leibowitz?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

Ever read A Canticle For Leibowitz?

That's on my read list, but I was thinking our future is gonna be somewhere between a PKD fever dream and Cloud Atlas, except probably more lame.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ever read Battlefield Earth? :cool:

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

To keep the destruction chat going,I think this is an appropriate video fro our times:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=whPzJbntlnY

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

because it speaks to me

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Fallom posted:

Oh great, not only is the world going to poo poo but John Travolta's going to be running the place.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Wellbutrin. :science:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Fallom posted:

I remember really enjoying the first half of that.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
Did trump capitalise the word trail in his Pocahontas tweet to subtly refer to the trail of tears?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Amazingly, our president is slightly racist.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I just assumed that was an intern. Like he's ever heard of the Trail of Tears.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Subtly.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

DoktorLoken posted:

Zoloft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vp8MxM3Dgr4

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Fallom posted:

The most realistic part about that movie is a bunch of barely literate cavemen flying Harriers

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm well able to believe the worst of Donnie because reality bears it out the vast majority of the time. I think he's too stupid to know about the Trail of Tears. He wouldn't know about Pocahontas if Disney hadn't made a tone deaf loose adaptation of her life.

DoktorLoken posted:

I already went through that with the military once, wasn't fun. In hindsight there was much less stuff to be depressed about in 2011-2013.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bird food bathtub posted:

Their last thought as their entire country starves/burns/dehydrates to death will be, "We should keep having quarter pounders with cheese, Jesus is gonna be here any day now to fix it all up."

yeah it's almost like evangelicals lust for the apocalypse or something because their belief system is predicated on getting paid after dying

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm well able to believe the worst of Donnie because reality bears it out the vast majority of the time. I think he's too stupid to know about the Trail of Tears. He wouldn't know about Pocahontas if Disney hadn't made a tone deaf loose adaptation of her life.

I already went through that with the military once, wasn't fun. In hindsight there was much less stuff to be depressed about in 2011-2013.

Happiness > military career (or anything else). Wellbutrin while not perfect for solving all sadbrains, personally A+ would do it again. Honestly it doesn't even make me happy, it just keeps my mood at a constant level of contentment.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i just hope i get to watch a bunch of rich people die painfully before the nuclear holocaust takes me

I hope they get to their mars and realize it's basically a prison planet that makes the atacama look like a verdant garden of eden. And I hope all the kiwis eat the rest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slim Pickens posted:

Watched blade runner 2049 last night and eating grubs for protein and building giant seawalls on an otherwise dead planet seems like the least depressing glimpse into the future.

Someone pointed out that the Expanse was a best case scenario and I can't get that out of my head lmao