Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
im alan jones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

OTOH given how absolutely hated Tony is both within his party and the public and just how good he is at wrecking the Libs would we really be better off with a sane, centre-right neoliberal making the Liberal party more electable while still as, if not more economically regressive as it is?

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Aesculus posted:

OTOH given how absolutely hated Tony is both within his party and the public and just how good he is at wrecking the Libs would we really be better off with a sane, centre-right neoliberal making the Liberal party more electable while still as, if not more economically regressive as it is?

Ever the optimist, I hope at least a few will have learnt their lesson after "Centrist" Malcolm Turnbull.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Whitlam posted:

Kate won. First important election of 2019 off to a great start.

Thanks for supporting Israel.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
i love israel

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Turks posted:

I would have been pro nuclear 20, maybe even 10 years ago. Today though? It doesn't even make economic sense anymore, disregarding any environmental concerns. It's literally cheaper to overbuild renewables and use excess to make Hydrogen when the grid doesn't need it. Nuclear plants are going bankrupt all over the place, even with government subsidies.

Aye but by the time those debates were had Kevin Rudd was PM the first time.

Some of us have been here over a decade.

Jesus I'm old.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lid posted:

Aye but by the time those debates were had Kevin Rudd was PM the first time.

Some of us have been here over a decade.

Jesus I'm old.

My first account was registered in 1999. I feel your pain.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

ewe2 posted:

Could you maybe expand upon this, it's pretty unclear to me what you mean. I'm not a typical example of the X'er cohort so it seems a bit weird to me that an X'er would be madder at Millenials than Boomers. I get a sick feeling about what faces Millenials because the problems are so big and systemic and if my cohort is getting in the way then they need to be steamrolled down.

Maybe one generation is not quite right - people are angst-y about boomers now but boomers are now well into old age and a lot of people complaining about them were born 30 - 50 years later - long enough for differences to grow in upbringing and hence views on subjects as diverse as religion, politics, manners, expectations, environment, reproduction, social norms, etc can be markedly different. Differences in people is a pretty reliable source of angst and everything else being equal, generational difference is like race, creed, religion, sex, sexual persuasion as having points of difference to wedge people. It is socially permissible to hate on a different generation of the same people but rather poor form (and culturally woke limiting) to hate on the others.

On a separate subject from other people's posts - living conditions are far better today than they were on average for boomers (simplest statistic being expected life span). Conscription, polio, SIDS, Thalidomide, solid steering columns, asbestos, air conditioning, emission control systems, rail electrification, bulk billing, IVF, cheap jet travel, internet, no fault divorce, stolen generation, cold war and on and on.

I am sure a part of it is survivor bias - the boomers alive today would slant towards the children of the privileged parents from that time - the under-privileged of that time have died off in a larger proportion. Agreed that to be a young fit Aussie with the resources to go to university in the 70's, it was a heady time and I think quite possible to be in the top 0.5% of the world population by quality of life. After all, Africa was still mostly hosed up ex-colonies, China was doing great leaps forward, the Indian sub-continental was struggling to contain the damage of British colonialism, likewise Central and South America except the Yanks running roughshod there - America itself was having social upheaval problems that pales the Australian experience. I don't know if Europe was better in the 70's than it was today but it seems very nice now - hard to think it was even better in the 70's.

A different mental exercise; pre-boomer PMs; Hawke, Keating, Howard. boomer PMs; Rudd, Abbot, Turnbull, post-boomer PMs; Gillard, Morrison, Shorten (soon).

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Don Dongington posted:

Yeah pro-nuclear posters ITT need to get it into their heads that nuclear isn't an option in Australia anymore. We don't all simultaneously reject the idea out of hand because of green biases or the post-Chernobyl and Fukushima fearmongering - it simply doesn't have enough time to spin up before the milestones we need to hit to make a meaningful difference.

There is no point going nuclear because we won't have a plant up and running til 2035 at best. If we focus on renewables we'll achieve much more by the half way point, even if we do still have a small amount of fossil fuel generation by then.

Agreed it would take a long time to spin up a nuclear industry in Australia to build and operate nuclear plants in any sort of number - I don't think that logic is a reason to have legislation in place outright limiting or banning development of nuclear power in Australia or supporting overseas use of nuclear. Coal burnt in India, Africa or South East Asia is no better than coal burnt in Aus after all (and frequently worse),

So in summary, putting much in the way of Government dollars towards nuclear is probably not an option but at least reducing the legal impediments to nuclear should be a low/medium priority task. It could well be that longer term, nuclear power will be cheaper than sustaining a wind / solar dominated power generation system.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

bowmore posted:

So how do we fix the bias in the mainstream media?

Prove to everyone else that they're irrelevant. A billionaire is throwing away money to keep having influence on everyone, you'll never fight his money. You can only fight his relevance. There's also this problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdQqZ450T8Q

You also have to give advertisers an alternative. Mainstream media is going down the toilet partly because they're relying on the most soul-crushing algorithms to generate content and its chasing advertisers away. Again, the only people keeping it going are billionaires who can afford to lose that money. The advertisers think facebook is safer only because facebook hasn't gone down that route yet.

Piss craig is correct, you need to be the new mainstream. Critical mass is the only thing that changes anything in this hosed up feudal carcrash of a culture.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think we should build a nuclear power plant on Sydney's North Shore out of tea kettles and string.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Let's build it out of B61s. Dropped out of planes.

Pop pop!

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/jul/23/tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

:roboluv:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The policy was always built on cruelty but it's rare to see them admit it so openly

https://twitter.com/David_Speers/status/1094375777217347584

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Doctors advocating for the health of their patients? No, we can't have that.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Can’t spell Elton without Elon.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

If they're dumb enough not to realize that both btc and Eth are money laundering scams at best and the worlds silliest bubble at worst I'm not sure I should be too concerned about their thoughts.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
tech-industry-wealth-futurism-transhumanism-singularity

That's quite the url they chose for that one.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's good SEO.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Billionaires contemplating robots or slave collars to protect their climate change bunkers?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Clearly the answer is nerve stapling smdh

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Anidav posted:

Billionaires contemplating robots or slave collars to protect their climate change bunkers?

what do your scruntmates think of this idea, the one who is trying to get as rich as possible so he can build a fallout shelter to protect him from climate refugees/nasty women?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The New South Boomerstani war on culture claimed another victim yesterday, as the cops managed to shut down Mountain Sounds with a last minute $200k bill for policing

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

GoldStandardConure posted:

what do your scruntmates think of this idea, the one who is trying to get as rich as possible so he can build a fallout shelter to protect him from climate refugees/nasty women?

Yeah I have this guy I know who says the only reason he wanted to become a doctor is to get enough money to build a self sustaining mansion in Far North QLD with butler robots and stuff to protect him from the unwashed poor.

He also keeps sharing Memes comparing pit bulls to African crime and he works at a hospital now. Previously stated working on indigenous health cemented his beliefs that the darkies are biologically inferior. He has a Malaysian wife :shrug:

But yeah he thinks acquiring enough money to survive a climate change apocalypse is our generations ultimate goal.

pikachode
Jan 21, 2019

by R. Guyovich
in nsw it is illegal to jack off without making a $35 payment to roads and maritime and writing a 500-word letter personally addressed to gladys explaining why it was necessary

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Anidav posted:

Yeah I have this guy I know who says the only reason he wanted to become a doctor is to get enough money to build a self sustaining mansion in Far North QLD with butler robots and stuff to protect him from the unwashed poor.

He also keeps sharing Memes comparing pit bulls to African crime and he works at a hospital now. Previously stated working on indigenous health cemented his beliefs that the darkies are biologically inferior. He has a Malaysian wife :shrug:

But yeah he thinks acquiring enough money to survive a climate change apocalypse is our generations ultimate goal.

Well, we could either work really hard to reduce our emissions and attempt to avert catastrophic climate change, in the hopes other nations will do the same. Or we can work to survive it. Or both I guess.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
We should be building sea walls and machine gun nests imo

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

We should be building sea walls and machine gun nests imo

poo poo I've been building sea nests and machine gun walls...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've been building my mental resilience

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

hooman posted:

poo poo I've been building sea nests and machine gun walls...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

The New South Boomerstani war on culture claimed another victim yesterday, as the cops managed to shut down Mountain Sounds with a last minute $200k bill for policing
this is something the Stasi would have loved to do

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

lol at building a climate fortress in FNQ of all places.

Turks
Nov 16, 2006

Konomex posted:

Well, we could either work really hard to reduce our emissions and attempt to avert catastrophic climate change, in the hopes other nations will do the same. Or we can work to survive it. Or both I guess.

My dad moved to Tasmania to try to get away from the heat. The same Tasmania which just caught fire.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Turks posted:

My dad moved to Tasmania to try to get away from the heat. The same Tasmania which just caught fire.

Tasmania catches fire every couple of years. This year was exceptionally bad though.

Poor research on his part.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol at building a climate fortress in FNQ of all places.

Well after experimenting with LSD for a few years he decided that the global elites would rather continue making a profit until the earth dies and then build sheltered environments for themselves on Earth or on Mars. So he then studied medicine to become a doctor and hasn't let go of his dream of following them by building his climate libertarian fort in a place no one will bother looking such as fnq.

I think he is nuts personally because if climate change fucks up our oxygen then no amount of money will save you.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
The joke is that it's called global warming fellas

This all fits in pretty well with the kind of people that believe the singularity is right around the corner and that techno rapture is gonna save us all them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

bUT RoBOTs wIlL FEed ME foREvEr aNd OxYgeN wILl bE cLeaNeD bY NEstlE

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Peter Dutton's taint

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

White people countries will largely be fine for the next couple of generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Labor appears set to back down over the refugee medical stand-off, inoculating itself against a potential election campaign battering over border security and handing a significant win to the Morrison government.

Immigration spokesman Shayne Neumann said Labor wanted the immigration minister - rather than doctors - to have the final say on who is flown to Australia for treatment, meaning the crossbench-driven bill now before Parliament would need significant change.

“Labor has always had two clear objectives: making sure sick people can get medical care and making sure the minister has final discretion over medical transfers,” he said.

The current bill before Parliament, which has been the subject of an intensifying political struggle between the major parties, would give doctors and a separate medical advice panel established by the government the power to order the transfer of needy refugees to Australia.

Hmmmm gently caress them