Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Mordja posted:

Almost unironically, yes.

Hey, it's got the speed, verticality, and if you take Grenadier weapons, you're practically playing Tribes!
And weird time poo poo is basically experimenting with teleportation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

as someone who still plays daikatana now and then and has 5+ runs of it under my belt, duke nukem forever is irredeemable trash

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
The whiteboard in the opening segment of DNF made me want a Duke Nukem game that takes place primarily (or entirely) in an EDF office complex, and Duke can just aimlessly wander the halls, doodling on whiteboards and important reports, slapping employees (boobs, butts, faces, ears), lurking in the bathrooms and eavesdropping on EDF gossip, and generally harassing people with circa-80's one-liners until they mentally crumble. The game would have incredibly sophisticated passive-aggressive AI, which would make it one of the finest experiences in "rear end in a top hat simulation and physics".

I mean he'd still have access to guns, though, if you wanted to go that route. Basically the Postal 2 approach I guess.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Heavy Metal posted:

Why haven't you played the 2016 Doom game yet? Also I've always had yearly physicals, maybe my doctor is playing a goof on me.

I didn't have a powerful enough machine to run it, and we (the family) just got a Switch at Christmas, so it's definitely on my list.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Kins posted:

Noted Retro FPS Titanfall 2

People went back to Half-life 2 to find something to compare it to

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I didn't have a powerful enough machine to run it, and we (the family) just got a Switch at Christmas, so it's definitely on my list.

Right on, looks like a solid port. That game is so good.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I mean he'd still have access to guns, though, if you wanted to go that route. Basically the Postal 2 approach I guess.

drat fine ideas, and in fact I'll take any idea for a Duke game at this point. DNF's weird nutty low budget lowbrow adventure vibe did remind me a bit of Postal 2.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

as someone who still plays daikatana now and then and has 5+ runs of it under my belt, duke nukem forever is irredeemable trash

Hell of a battle. DNF has a higher review score on steam by 4%, and way more reviews. Of course Daikatana is a game from 2000, so it'll have a much better chance of fitting in here, but I do find DNF a much better game. And plenty of people like it, it's not irredeemable. It even has people playing the multiplayer. I don't really see the comparison, saying you like Daikatana may mean you just really like that style and era, and DNF is in a very different style and era.

And Titanfall 2's combat still feels a lot like a recent Call of Duty, I don't think it's very oldschool. Neither is DNF, but hey Allen Blum and team were heroes for finishing that game, and I like it. And I compare DNF to Half-Life 2 a lot, it's very much Duke attempting the Half-Life formula, even babysits a car, does physics puzzles etc. It's a low budget trashy Duke HL2 with some modern console gameplay trappings.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fallom posted:

Due to the idea of how the campaign is laid out and not how the gameplay works, thank god.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Barudak posted:

Due to the idea of how the campaign is laid out and not how the gameplay works, thank god.

HL2's gameplay wipes the floor with Titanfall 2 for me. Has better enemy AI (or scripting), more fun at least, aiming a gun feels better, in general Titanfall 2 has a bit of Call of Duty style design, mixed with some Crysis 2. I just don't find that feels as good to play as HL2. That kind of "battlefield" feel, aiming down ironsights, using some stealth and cover in a very linear short campaign etc. Ditto for that new Apex Legends thing, it's just a style of gameplay that doesn't appeal to me as much as the old stuff. Shooting, movement, overall design. A big part of why Doom 2016 is such a breath of fresh air to me, since it does everything differently from these recent games.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

treat posted:

I've been playing through Amid Evil in pistol start on the hardest difficulty (Evil) and it feels like this is how the game was designed to be played. It feels like doom on UV, and I'm beginning to wonder if I accidentally loaded an older save on hard difficulty because it's way easier than I expected, but still the perfect level of challenge. I recommend it.

I've been enjoying AE, but I definitely picked way too easy a difficulty for my first run. Looking forward to trying this.

Is it just me, though, or are the Moon/Sun episode enemies far more fun to fight than the ones in 2 & 3 (especially 3)?

Fallom posted:

I don't care how where we're drawing the line for "old-school", HL2 is firmly on the other side of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

For me Half-Life 2 is the ur FPS containing every single FPS feature I don't like and mechanic I hate, creating the deep valley between the peaks of the previous generation of FPS games and the new resurgence of FPS games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Titanfall 2 campaign is liked because it has a cool robot sidekick, nice movement system used in some levels, cool parts like the whole travel-time gimmick that don't overstay its welcome, a decent variety thanks to mixing titan and soldier gameplay, a good pace, cool levels like the mega-city builder thing... but notice something:
I've been avoiding one important aspect, the core gameplay of a FPS. It's there where HL2 is better, Titanfall 2 is a FPS whose core strengths aren't in being a FPS, actually. Enemy soldiers aren't a meaningful obstacle in AI, interesting abilities or behavior, they are all boring grunt human soldiers, they are simple obstacles to give the player little packets of dopamine when he kills a bunch of them with a weapon with a good feedback feeling.

edit

Which ironically, it's one of the main difference of old school shooters and new shooters, that you people were discussion above, old school shooters offered interesting gameplay with challenge, while lots of times the new shooters are 'shooters', the main attraction is in the combination of adventure, story, puzzles and progression, the action itself is put to make the game to fill the game with something immediate and fun at a basic level, but the gameplay isn't the star, which is the reason most modern shooters use health regeneration, because the careful balance of combat gameplay isn't that important as to give the player a way to continue to progress the story.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Feb 9, 2019

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Some of this might explain why a bunch of older (but not old) fps games I've been playing lately feel profoundly off to me gameplay wise.

This is exacerbated by having played Dusk and Amid Evil recently.

I'm not going to mention them all by name because I don't want to start a derail, but the list includes a bunch of genuinely good, well made games.

... but I'm not having any fun actually playing them :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turin Turambar posted:

I've been avoiding one important aspect, the core gameplay of a FPS. It's there where HL2 is better, Titanfall 2 is a FPS whose core strengths aren't in being a FPS, actually. Enemy soldiers aren't a meaningful obstacle in AI, interesting abilities or behavior, they are all boring grunt human soldiers, they are simple obstacles to give the player little packets of dopamine when he kills a bunch of them with a weapon with a good feedback feeling.

That brings another important point of old-school shooters: the enemies are largely paranormal monsters (undead, demons, aliens, robots...) instead of humans, they have varied shapes and abilities.

Even something like Wolf 3D were most enemies are humans, you still have oddities like the Hitler ghosts and undead mutants.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
Sorry for the detail, but I was looking through the FPS offerings of the Steam Lunar Sale, and noticed a game called “The Spy who Shot Me” (https://store.steampowered.com/app/771810/The_spy_who_shot_me/) which looks like a mash up of Goldeneye and NOLF. It has a demo but I’m swamped by grad school so I’ll have to wait until spring break to give it a go. I thought some of you might find it interesting.

https://youtu.be/p0PtEyDhvSY

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
anybody else see prodeus? this game looks amazing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/964800/Prodeus/

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kanine posted:

anybody else see prodeus? this game looks amazing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/964800/Prodeus/

It might be fine gameplay-wise, but the filter they use makes it look like Doom 2016 with the internal resolution halved rather than giving it a retro look. I'm thinking it might be fun to pick up if you can turn that off.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cat Mattress posted:

That brings another important point of old-school shooters: the enemies are largely paranormal monsters (undead, demons, aliens, robots...) instead of humans, they have varied shapes and abilities.

Even something like Wolf 3D were most enemies are humans, you still have oddities like the Hitler ghosts and undead mutants.

I remember being so excited when FPSs started moving away from monsters and towards more “human” opponents. There’s a spot in the first HL when you start mostly fighting soldiers and that was epic to my teenaged brain. Then you started fighting aliens again and I never finished it.

Then all the enemies were soldiers and I stopped playing FPSs entirely.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Autonomous Monster posted:

I've been enjoying AE, but I definitely picked way too easy a difficulty for my first run. Looking forward to trying this.

Is it just me, though, or are the Moon/Sun episode enemies far more fun to fight than the ones in 2 & 3 (especially 3)?

Astral Expanse is so good it makes the rest of game look like poo poo :allears:

Also I wasted like 40 orange mana on the Forgemaster before I realised he was invulnerable :suicide:

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
:piss:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/104557-back-to-saturn-x-episode-3-wip/

quote:

I Can't Believe It's Not Vaporware!

This work-in-progress third installment in the Back to Saturn X series (a vanilla-compatible hyper-megawad, for those not in the know) takes place not on the titular Saturn X, but on the other side of a portal that leads... Somewhere Else.

What horrors await? Take a peek beyond the veil...

BTSX E3: Coming Soon to a fast-food restaurant greasy diner near you!

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
Holy fuuuuuuck yes, Back to Saturn X.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
:vince:

Although I'll probably wait for the release version before playing it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Just in case you thought Doom modding might ever die. Also new Sunder? BtSX E3? We need to place bets on Scythe X or Mordeth next.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

Just in case you thought Doom modding might ever die. Also new Sunder? BtSX E3? We need to place bets on Scythe X or Mordeth next.

and new Deus Vault II too.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Heavy Metal posted:

Hell of a battle. DNF has a higher review score on steam by 4%, and way more reviews. Of course Daikatana is a game from 2000, so it'll have a much better chance of fitting in here, but I do find DNF a much better game. And plenty of people like it, it's not irredeemable. It even has people playing the multiplayer. I don't really see the comparison, saying you like Daikatana may mean you just really like that style and era, and DNF is in a very different style and era.

And Titanfall 2's combat still feels a lot like a recent Call of Duty, I don't think it's very oldschool. Neither is DNF, but hey Allen Blum and team were heroes for finishing that game, and I like it. And I compare DNF to Half-Life 2 a lot, it's very much Duke attempting the Half-Life formula, even babysits a car, does physics puzzles etc. It's a low budget trashy Duke HL2 with some modern console gameplay trappings.

bro this is the worst take in human history, dnf plays like an asset flippped unity game

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lemon-Lime posted:

:vince:

Although I'll probably wait for the release version before playing it.

See you in three years

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Arivia posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

and new Deus Vault II too.

what odds are you giving me on TSoZD

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Flannelette posted:

(it's not that hard, if you've played any recent fast paced fps the skills transfer over except for the wads that forbid mouse look).

i've resolved to 1cc Ketsui this year so i no longer doubt i can do hard videogame things if i put my mind to it, I just don't have the motivation I guess. Got to level 3 of ancient aliens and was like "this is the type of thing I want to be playing but it needs a base level of competence I'm just too lazy to build." Marathon mapping has kind of filled my 'intense projectile fps' plate recently but I dled Mayhem Orange and Purple with plans to play them at some point so I'll make that my next go.

e; i play without mouselook like a true pro

DisDisDis fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 10, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

bro this is the worst take in human history, dnf plays like an asset flippped unity game

DNF is also a game from 2000

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The whiteboard in the opening segment of DNF made me want a Duke Nukem game that takes place primarily (or entirely) in an EDF office complex, and Duke can just aimlessly wander the halls, doodling on whiteboards and important reports, slapping employees (boobs, butts, faces, ears), lurking in the bathrooms and eavesdropping on EDF gossip, and generally harassing people with circa-80's one-liners until they mentally crumble. The game would have incredibly sophisticated passive-aggressive AI, which would make it one of the finest experiences in "rear end in a top hat simulation and physics".

I've had an idea for Duke since DNF came out and I posted it way back in the thread where you could start out with Duke driving everyone nuts by not shutting up. You don't necessarily play the "he's a tired old mysoginist and he wouldn't fit today," angle as it could just be that he's annoying the crap out of everyone by not shutting up. Then at some point, he's stuck wearing a helmet and someone forgets to turn his radio on. He's unable to speak and as he's trying to get dialogue out, people as a result end up really genuinely liking and respecting him because they see him just killing aliens without constantly spitting cheesy lines.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

We share our diesel frag fueled experiences here, where we all enjoy this fine gaming niche. We don't all like all the same games, nothing wrong with that. What you just said? I don't believe it myself, in fact it's strongly against my beliefs. But I respect the hell out of you for saying it. I like DNF, you like Daikatana, it's a beautiful thread.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
My Duke Nukem 5 idea is that DNF was actually a Dukebot, robots have taken over. And Duke hates it. He teams up with the pig cops (they never figures out reversing it so they just ran with it) to overthrow the rear end in a top hat robots and put organic life somewhere other than the bottom of the trash heap.

Also, rather than health Regen, your health (which I would call ego still) always moves towards a specific point based on difficulty: 100 on easy, 50 on normal, 0 on hard. You gain health up to 200% by killing stuff, spouting cheesy oneliners, taking a leak, saving people, watching Oprah, or other Dukey things. Basically it strongly encourages going through guns blazing, making bad movie references, and generally acting like an over the top action hero.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

I'd take something (your breath away) for saying something like this to my face.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I just fired up Battlefield 4 for the first time in forever tonight. Still fuckin rules

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."

Heavy Metal posted:

We share our diesel frag fueled experiences here, where we all enjoy this fine gaming niche. We don't all like all the same games, nothing wrong with that. What you just said? I don't believe it myself, in fact it's strongly against my beliefs. But I respect the hell out of you for saying it. I like DNF, you like Daikatana, it's a beautiful thread.

I'm just surprised that someone liked DNF. Personally, I found something about it gave me a headache and couldn't play past the opening stages - so I have no idea if it gets any better or not.

I'm re-installing Deus Ex at the moment. It's the least shootery-FPS there is, but the way it blended shooter with RPG is interesting. No points in Pistols? Well boy, you are going to SUCK. Whereas when you max out your pistol skill you can literally play it like an FPS. I like the blend of RPG & FPS :)

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a heathen but I found Infinite Warfare's variety and pacing to be far better than Titanfall 2's.

I'm also replaying Max Payne and goddamn has that not aged well at all. Nothing says 2000s game design like cheap deaths around every corner. Meanwhile Quake 1 continues to impress on my first time through, it really can't be overstated just how solid the level designs are.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Max Payne 1 is still great imo but I haven't played it in a long time and thus have forgotten where all the ambushes are, so I am loathe to play it for the 'first time' again. Max Payne 2 is so much better about enemy placement and other related dick moves.

edit: I do recall specifically that in the endgame you really should not enter a room without being in bullet time just in case. That game is too drat hard on any difficulty.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I actually had a dream about re-playing Max Payne 2 last night (slightly embarrassed to admit that). It wasn't a nice dream, that abandoned house of horrors thing? Yup, gave me nightmares 15+ years later :ohdear:

Titanfall 2 excelled in the moment-to-moment shooting. It feels really nice. That's what Apex Legends replicates really well - it's not got the wall running, but it does have the crouch sliding. The context-sensitive ping system is also fantastic in it. Worth giving a whirl :)

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I played both Max Payne 1 and 2 with an infinite bullet time mod. Did it pad the game length considerably using slo-mo so much? Yes. Was it it fun? Yes.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Giving a plug to Civvie 11. He's got a few dozen 15-30 minute videos almost all on classic FPS games with a mild gimmick and good presentation. I couldn't keep watching Gggmanlives after the growing feeling of him being a purestrain gamergater.

Here is Tekwar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Tnqs2OIM44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Arivia posted:

Mordeth is in an interesting position in which the dude never actually left or development never stopped (that we know of), he's always been pretty consistent about posting screenshots or talking to people. It just hasn't been released.

Which honestly is kind of admirable. I wish I had the ability to keep working on a single project for over 20 years.