Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Best classic FPS statsubar? Why Marathon's gotta be like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Max Payne is the greatest trilogy in all of gaming and I'm glad 3 bombed in sales and the IP is dead so they don't get the chance to gently caress it up.

I still love the shotgun in the first game even if it's rather useless after the first act. That thing sounds like a death machine.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
sometimes wish Eriance hadn't loving evaporated from existence and finished Demon Eclipse, but that's how artists are sometimes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Imagine if Max Payne 3 actually let you skip the cutscenes.

Also imagine if the Max Payne movie wasnt hot trash

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Man that Max Payne movie is god drat garbage. Irredeemable.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Diabetes Forecast posted:

sometimes wish Eriance hadn't loving evaporated from existence and finished Demon Eclipse, but that's how artists are sometimes.
Eriance is still around under a new alias (Amuscaria) and they're turning the ruins of Demon Eclipse into a new mod called Hell-Forged. It's actually getting fairly close to completion, with one more monster and a final map left to be made, but IRL continues to intrude.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks dope.

E:Looking at the wiki page for DE, and having recently done the same with Daikatana, are there any shooters that have a unique weaponset per time-period/episode other than, I assume, Timesplitters? Oh, and I guess Darkest of Days.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 10, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

GUI posted:

Max Payne is the greatest trilogy in all of gaming

I don't think this is true, but I also can't think of a video game series that has exactly three entries in it and all three of them are top-notch. If Max Payne 1 and 3 were as good as 2, then maybe.

As far as FPS games go... all three Timesplitters games were quite good, I guess, but I don't think good enough to qualify.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Mordja posted:

Looks dope.

E:Looking at the wiki page for DE, and having recently done the same with Daikatana, are there any shooters that have a unique weaponset per time-period/episode other than, I assume, Timesplitters? Oh, and I guess Darkest of Days.

Necrovision. You still have all your old guns, but you get strict upgrades in every slot in the vampire areas.

@RyokoTK: Baldur’s Gate qualifies. Throne of Bhaal was sold as the end of the trilogy, and it does follow through.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Kins posted:

Eriance is still around under a new alias (Amuscaria) and they're turning the ruins of Demon Eclipse into a new mod called Hell-Forged. It's actually getting fairly close to completion, with one more monster and a final map left to be made, but IRL continues to intrude.

That mancubus is badass

I also like the spider demon

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Arivia posted:

@RyokoTK: Baldur's Gate qualifies. Throne of Bhaal was sold as the end of the trilogy, and it does follow through.

If BG2 didn't start with that goddamn dungeon it would probably be my favorite CRPG of all time (but it does, so Tyranny is my favorite instead). Still a very strong trilogy though.

Metroid Prime Trilogy also comes pretty drat close, but Corruption starts to lean away a bit from what made Prime 1 especially good.

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
I don't think there is a perfect trilogy is there?

The Timesplitters Trilogy was good, although 1 wasn't amazing and 3 didn't add much more than a lot of weird extras (nothing fundamental) - 2 remains a high point in the series.

Metroid Prime Trilogy is great, but the third one has those weird motion controls.

There are some "trilogies" that aren't actually official threesomes. In my head I always have GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2 as a "trilogy" because they had mostly the same developers.

Halo had some interesting moments, as did Gears of War.

I think we really have to accept that there are some amazing stand-out games in the different IPs. And it's great that we don't all have to play through Max Payne 3's cutscenes (I hated it).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
All three Jedi Knight games completely kick rear end so I vote for that

Old Grasshopper
Apr 7, 2011

"Patience, young grasshopper."
Haha - awkwardly my favourite was the Mysteries of the Sith expansion for Jedi Knight (which was also technically a sequel to Dark Forces, making it a trilogy of 5 games!)

The only perfect Trilogy is the Die Hard Trilogy... No wait... They kept going and ruined it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
RE4 on PS2, RE4 on Gamecube, RE4 on Wii is the perfect trilogy

Scratch that. RE4 on Gamecube, RE4 on Wii, RE4 UHD on PC is the perfect trilogy

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Feb 10, 2019

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Amid Evil episode 6 is great. Highly recommend. Really loved the level design and atmosphere.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I had a buddy who could play RE4 with only a keyboard better than most people could use a controller it was nuts

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

GUI posted:

Max Payne is the greatest trilogy in all of gaming and I'm glad 3 bombed in sales and the IP is dead so they don't get the chance to gently caress it up.

I still love the shotgun in the first game even if it's rather useless after the first act. That thing sounds like a death machine.

I have bad news for you: MP3 already hosed it up by being very different in tone and breaking up the action with excessive cutscenes ever other room. You could barely ever walk through any door without triggering another short video sequence. It's an infuriating game.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Old Grasshopper posted:

I don't think there is a perfect trilogy is there?

There are some "trilogies" that aren't actually official threesomes. In my head I always have GoldenEye, Perfect Dark and Timesplitters 2 as a "trilogy" because they had mostly the same developers.

Personally, I think I'd submit Shadow Warrior 1997, 2013, and Shadow Warrior 2 as an informal "trilogy" that I had a lot of fun with overall.

Also Doom 1, 2, and DOOM (2016).

I'm going to predict System Shock 1, 2, and 3 will be another perfect trilogy. Same thing with Metro 2033, Last Light, and Exodus.

Metal Gear Solid 3, 4, and V? Sublime.

Even Unreal, Unreal Tournament '99, and Serious Sam: TSE are an amazing trilogy.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 10, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Skipping Doom 3 to say that Dooms 1, 2 and 4 make a perfect trilogy is stretching the terms a fair bit.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The real Doom trilogy is 1/2/64

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Amid Evil episode 6 is great. Highly recommend. Really loved the level design and atmosphere.

I've been farming steam cards the last two weeks, I got enough to buy that and D:OS2 :)

I played the first two levels and I liked it, although i will wait until the game is finish to play it for reals.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Turin Turambar posted:

I've been farming steam cards the last two weeks, I got enough to buy that and D:OS2 :)

I played the first two levels and I liked it, although i will wait until the game is finish to play it for reals.

First two levels, or first two episodes?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

My vote goes to Quake, it's so chunky and yet non-intrusive. It also has the best player character face sprites

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

First two levels, or first two episodes?

Two levels, I didn't want to spoil the rest :P

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

RyokoTK posted:

I don't think this is true, but I also can't think of a video game series that has exactly three entries in it and all three of them are top-notch. If Max Payne 1 and 3 were as good as 2, then maybe.

As far as FPS games go... all three Timesplitters games were quite good, I guess, but I don't think good enough to qualify.

The Doom Engine trilogy of Doom, Heretic, and Hexen.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Big HUD big life :colbert:

I've spent so much time in Marathon that I legally own several levels through squatter's rights, so I don't think I can form an unbiased opinion on the subject of trilogies :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Also Doom 1, 2, and DOOM (2016).

RyokoTK posted:

Skipping Doom 3 to say that Dooms 1, 2 and 4 make a perfect trilogy is stretching the terms a fair bit.

The real Doom 3 was released on the N64 in 1997 :colbert:

Edit:

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Hexen is my favorite. As much as I hate the game I absolutely love that HUD design with the gargoyles and moving chains representing health.

Also the mana amounts being shown as a gauge instead of just a number. That was nice.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Feb 10, 2019

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Marathon 2 is the only one that could be considered particularly good.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Everything is awesome about Hexen except the abysmal puzzles... which is the whole game :v:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

victrix posted:

Everything is awesome about Hexen except the abysmal puzzles... which is the whole game :v:

And the horribly limited weapon selection. Amid Evil has put me in the mood for Hexen. Are there any wads that address these two issues?

vvv He's perfectly sane, and you're extremely wrong.

treat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Feb 10, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Old Grasshopper posted:

The only perfect Trilogy is the Die Hard Trilogy... No wait... They kept going and ruined it.

You're nuts, Die Hard 2 sucked. I thought this post was going to be about the game Die Hard Trilogy for PSX

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're nuts, Die Hard 2 sucked. I thought this post was going to be about the game Die Hard Trilogy for PSX

They made a Die Hard Trilogy 2 and it was bad

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Until Max Payne 1 brings out the colt commando your weapon selection is basically garbage. The ingram is insanely powerful and thats about it.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

treat posted:

And the horribly limited weapon selection. Amid Evil has put me in the mood for Hexen. Are there any wads that address these two issues?

vvv He's perfectly sane, and you're extremely wrong.

Wrath of Cronus for Hexen is really good, but it does make really big gameplay changes.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
In other DOOM WAD news: Eviternity has it's final release, fixing a ton of bugs, buffing the pistol a bit, removing infinite height enemies, and nerfing the custom enemies a tad. Most of the gameplay changes make the difficulty curve a bit smoother, but the later maps are still hard as balls.

If you didn't play this all the way through on release: please do, it's up there as one of my favorite mappacks along with Sunlust, BTSX, Going Down and Ancient Aliens!
DL link: https://www.dfdoom.com/download/1147/

Info & screens:
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/103425-final-release-eviternity/

5 minute showcase (no commentary): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PwHDflPaF0

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

i don't think it scales too disimilarly to doom's honestly

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Blood has as excellent UI bar

I never use it but drat it looks cool

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

GUI posted:

I may be the only person to say this, but Crysis?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Samopsa posted:

In other DOOM WAD news: Eviternity has it's final release,

Thanks for the heads up