Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Does anyone have experience with BattleTech mini's? i was wondering what the assembly difficulty was like, looking at them they seem a bit intimidating, but there's a couple battlemechs that I really want to get and paint because I love that universe.

I have a squad because I like all of the video games based on BattleTech, but I wasn't happy with the minis. There was zero assembly. I lost momentum painting them because I just don't like looking at them, they look so bad compared to the video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

richyp posted:

Strange, I've yet to get my airbrush setup to use (couple more weeks hopefully), but I switched full time to using VMA metals with a standard brush a few months ago, and besides the gold colours I haven't dusted off leadbelcher in ages.
Black Metal, not Gunmetal. Gunmetal is the Leadbelcher-equivalent and is OK (I prefer the AP paint, it looks warmer). Black metal is like dark graphite.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Someone posted a technique a long ways back to do this really crazy cool blue scheme using baharoth blue and nihilakh oxide and... something else. Anyone recall exactly what it was and the method used. Kind of want to do it on some bugs.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

richyp posted:

^^^ The VMA Silver, Steel and Black brush on like a dream and cover in one pass, the golds take 2 coats for me (especially over white) to avoid the brush strokes, a base of retributor armour or brown paint first works a treat before brushing on VMA Gold and/or Copper.

I swear by these brushes: https://www.rosemaryandco.com/watercolour-brushes/pure-kolinsky-sable/pure-kolinsky-pointed

They're not super cheap and are pure sable, but they're a lot cheaper than other brands. I use a size 2 for everything, but a lot of people prefer different sizes for different things so maybe a 0 and a 2 would cover your bases (no pun intended). Drybrushing will wreck brushes and tends to be done with older brushes that are already on their way out, so I would buy a pack of cheap store paint brushes (I use my kid's craft ones when he's not looking and are about 10p each).

Is there anywhere in the US to order these from? Shipping for a couple of brushes is almost the same as the cost of the brushes themselves.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Now I want to take a few of those old derpy plastic mechs and give them decent bases and a good paintjob :(

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
There's a new release of Battletech out(?) that has updated minis that look like the modern games. I believe there's a Beginner box with two minis for $20 and a starter box for $60 that has eight. Might pick up the starter box since it has some cool ones like the Awesome and Battlemaster.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Shared these guys in the discord last night but figured I'd do some cross postin

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Pierzak posted:

Black Metal, not Gunmetal. Gunmetal is the Leadbelcher-equivalent and is OK (I prefer the AP paint, it looks warmer). Black metal is like dark graphite.

Yup, I mentioned Leadbelcher as an aside as it was my go to silver base, but no problems with black metal either.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

That Gobbo posted:

There's a new release of Battletech out(?) that has updated minis that look like the modern games. I believe there's a Beginner box with two minis for $20 and a starter box for $60 that has eight. Might pick up the starter box since it has some cool ones like the Awesome and Battlemaster.

Do you know of an online store that is selling these?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That Gobbo posted:

They definitely do a good job hiding those online, then. I went to the Battletech site's online store to verify the same ones are still for sale there: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/...ble_semantics=1

edit: There is a beginner box that comes with 2 mechs that look better, and some cardboard mechs:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I said come in! posted:

Do you know of an online store that is selling these?

They're completely sold out everywhere, you'll have to keep an eye out for the second printing in a couple months.

edit: that's just the beginner's box, you can get the other one: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-a-game-of-armored-combat

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

dexefiend posted:

loving phone double posted.
Edit: lovely photo content

Out of curiosity how hard was it to cut down those aggressor hoods?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have a link to that video where a guy does a one brush wetblend? He dips in 3 colors at once or something.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Mr Teatime posted:

Out of curiosity how hard was it to cut down those aggressor hoods?

I just used my X-acto hobby saw. It was really easy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Since I'm making a fairly large order, I thought I'd try out a Space Marine idea I've had since I made a bad joke in GBS a few years ago. The main color would be white, and Citadel suggests Corax/Ulthuan/Agrax/White Scar... however WarhammerTV guy simply primes with white, then washes with a 1:1 Nuln and Drakenhof. His tutorial looks good, could it really be that simple?

Edit: It was actually The War gamer, which makes more sense

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Feb 10, 2019

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Electric Hobo posted:

Does anyone have a link to that video where a guy does a one brush wetblend? He dips in 3 colors at once or something.

Sounds like loaded brush blending is the technique you're looking for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTmhmthvUOg

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Electric Hobo posted:

There's this one too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNU_EIE5pwI&t=806s

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I'm looking for ways to make a rough appearance on armor, similar to how this looks

Any ideas? I have liquitex resin sand I was going to try. The picture almost looks like an effect of bad priming.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

goodness posted:

I'm looking for ways to make a rough appearance on armor, similar to how this looks

Any ideas? I have liquitex resin sand I was going to try. The picture almost looks like an effect of bad priming.

That's what I was thinking, maybe prime black and then prime white with a clogged/too low pressure airbrush? I've definitely had stuff look like that as a side effect of screwing up, not sure how I'd reproduce it intentionally though.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I've done a 'cast iron' technique on a gundam kit where you put down a little bit of plastic cement on an area then use a stiff brush to scuff it up a bit. Not sure how effective it would be on a miniature since the scale might be off.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

darnon posted:

Sounds like loaded brush blending is the technique you're looking for?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTmhmthvUOg
Thanks! The second one is the one I remembered seeing at some point.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I have lots of room to grow but I am going to call there dudes done. Forgive the lazy phone photos, but feel free to critique the man’s.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

goodness posted:

Saw this on reddit a while ago:

Apparently done with Rust-oleum textured paint.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Man, now I wish I had ordered some terrain. :sigh:

I thought you couldn't use textured paint like that, since it sprays on too thick.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Perfect

At first I was looking for a way to do the texture of a lemon but I don't see it being possible without extensive greenstuff usage

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

goodness posted:

Perfect

At first I was looking for a way to do the texture of a lemon but I don't see it being possible without extensive greenstuff usage

Liquid Green Stuff might help you get there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK97CLGFwY4

You could also try to do rattlecan spray "wrong" because orange peel is a side effect of bad temp/humidity I think. Not sure how you'd force that to happen though.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Inspector_666 posted:

Liquid Green Stuff might help you get there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK97CLGFwY4

You could also try to do rattlecan spray "wrong" because orange peel is a side effect of bad temp/humidity I think. Not sure how you'd force that to happen though.

...spray it and then put it in the freezer?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Making final adjustments to my first order:

I've decided to leave any Space Marine stuff until after I finish painting some skeletons, I don't want to rush into this and find out I don't like it as much as I did in high school.

Is there anything I've left out/ don't need in my order that I should consider?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

I've decided to leave any Space Marine stuff until after I finish painting some skeletons, I don't want to rush into this and find out I don't like it as much as I did in high school.

You should try to find a non-GW retailer. I'm not sure who's in Canada or I'd give you a specific suggestion. Typically they have a 15% discount.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
maybe meeplemart, I have heard of customer services issues but I have not in the few orders I did. ymmv

In a related question does anyone know of a decent place to get a patriot 105 fine needle in canada, I bent mine and I cannot seem to find a source.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

Priming gone wrong would also be good if I could nail it consistently, something like this

No chance I can do it in a humid environment, but I can try it really cold and far from the model.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Booley posted:

You should try to find a non-GW retailer. I'm not sure who's in Canada or I'd give you a specific suggestion. Typically they have a 15% discount.

I checked out "Thunder Games and Gifts" here in Canada... they only do free shipping on $200+

They have the waterpot I wanted in stock, but no Corax White spray, and it's a few bucks more.

I guess if I went more in on the Space Marine thing and got some Mk IV's and some paints it would hit the $66 more I need... but again, I don't really know if this is nostalgia or if I really want to pursue this hobby...

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Some of the Tamiya diorama grit paint might work acceptably if you heavily dilute it with medium, but it's pricey. I have a couple of tubs I got on special and it's fine enough grit to base 1/72 models with so while you'd want to avoid areas of fine detail like the aquila, for flat armour plates it should work fine.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Deified Data posted:

Shared these guys in the discord last night but figured I'd do some cross postin

How hard would it be to assemble the two squigs independantly? I've got an idea to have them pulling chariots as snakebite ork buggies.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Sorry for the poo poo cam and light. Did a foul blightspawn!

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I love the sloshing look of the fluid in the tank.

Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
Can I get a link to the discord chaps?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Professor Shark posted:

This might be too late but I wouldnt spend the money on the gw brushes, your getting reamed

Also yeah, that's expensive paint. I can buy from a local shop for less than that in Canada. Consider Vallejo unless you really stuck on named GW paint. There are conversion charts online if you look around. GW nuln oil and aggrax earthshade are worth their weight in gold though.

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 11, 2019

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Is there any reason zenithal priming has to be done with just primers? After the black primer coat, can't you just use grey and white paint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Serenade posted:

Is there any reason zenithal priming has to be done with just primers? After the black primer coat, can't you just use grey and white paint?

Nope. Most people using an airbrush use paints. If someone is using rattlecans then they might be restricted to the whites and greys they have.