Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i watched wandering earth and liked it. pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Modest Mao posted:

like how theater was once a medium of the masses and now it's for affluent shut ins,

that's what cinema is gunna end up as. I guess like fine art and orchestral music did as well. It's lost its capability to reach people forever. That's why there's festivals and then there's distribution

But it's good entertainment so it'll live on in that form. Much like orchestral music lived on in film. But no more human expression, dear me no

We have the twitch stream now

No filmed experience can compete with the raw human connection of a prematurely balding nordic dude yelling racial slurs at a children's game

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
movies will continue to be popular although big theater experience of watching poo poo in a theater is on its way to dying and once marvel movies finally die because everyone gets bored of them movie theaters will start going bankrupt at crazy rates

netflix/streaming movies will continue to be popular though, that might actually encourage more niche films like ex machina instead of avengers 10 or whatever which is good

granted though china loves big blockbusters so expect marvel to feature chinese ironman compete with Xi Jiping cameo in like 10 years or so lol

Typo has issued a correction as of 21:06 on Feb 10, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Typo posted:

movies will continue to be popular although big theater experience of watching poo poo in a theater is on its way to dying and once marvel movies finally die because everyone gets bored of them movie theaters will start going bankrupt at crazy rates

netflix/streaming movies will continue to be popular though, that might actually encourage more niche films like ex machina instead of avengers 10 or whatever which is good

granted though china loves big blockbusters so expect marvel to feature chinese ironman compete with Xi Jiping cameo in like 10 years or so lol

The blockbuster won't go away, even in the u.s. It'll likely just be with all of the other films on streaming, just better tailored to metrics captured from those sites.

It's also possible mass market films like that just slowly die off as the budgets for those get divided into separate movies of more narrower mainstream appeal.

China still needs to open up to the idea of time travel movies though

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
RFA and their turkestan separatist goons claimed that Abdurehim Heyit got tortured to death in a concentration camp.

Like in North Korea, communism has the power to resurrect people from the dead

Of course, they aren't happy that he is alive:

quote:

Nury Turkel, chairman of the US-based Uyghur Human Rights Project, told the BBC that some aspects of the video were "suspicious".

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

oh well if he didnt die i guess that means the concentration camp they put him in is actually good

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
if the western media lied about this, could they possibly be lying about other things 🤔 🤔 🤔

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

if the western media lied about this, could they possibly be lying about other things 🤔 🤔 🤔

the story you posted is from the bbc so i guess he really is dead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1094648994716774400

Generalissimo Manlet

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/29/bill-gates-davos-global-poverty-infographic-neoliberal

quote:

Moreover, the few gains that have been made have virtually all happened in one place: China. It is disingenuous, then, for the likes of Gates and Pinker to claim these gains as victories for Washington-consensus neoliberalism. Take China out of the equation, and the numbers look even worse. Over the four decades since 1981, not only has the number of people in poverty gone up, the proportion of people in poverty has remained stagnant at about 60%. It would be difficult to overstate the suffering that these numbers represent.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.jasonhickel.org/blog/2019/2/3/pinker-and-global-poverty

The vast majority of gains against poverty have happened in one region: East Asia. As it happens, the economic success of China and the East Asian tigers – as scholars like Ha-Joon Chang and Robert Wade have long pointed out – is due not to the neoliberal markets that you espouse but rather state-led industrial policy, protectionism and regulation (the same measures that Western nations used to such great effect during their own period of industrial consolidation). They liberalized, to be sure – but they did so gradually and on their own terms.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
The CIA has gone full nuclear, pushing this "concentration camp" narrative by wheeling out a bunch of shills and useful idiots to post photos of "missing family" on Twitter, demanding proof of life videos under the hashtag #MeTooUyghur

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the cia goes full nuclear: they're doing a hashtag

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fallen Hamprince posted:

the cia goes full nuclear: they're doing a hashtag

thats pretty much the best they can do since cuban spies gave them all brain damage

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

freckle posted:

thats pretty much the best they can do since cuban spies gave them all brain damage

Still can't believe those dastardly commies radicalized their native crickets

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I forgot to share this with the thread, I was loling with Guyovich about it.

https://twitter.com/nasa/status/1095144214533410816?s=21

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is the first time I heard that human activity can actually make the world greener..NASA, you trippin..

Dante80 has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Feb 13, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
China and Cuba are pretty much the only places with comprehensive forestation programs rather than cutting it all down

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Jose posted:

China and Cuba are pretty much the only places with comprehensive forestation programs rather than cutting it all down

The only places unless you count the entire first world

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Also planting lovely monoculture forests is really bad

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

I forgot to share this with the thread, I was loling with Guyovich about it.

https://twitter.com/nasa/status/1095144214533410816?s=21

what is "and agriculture"? palm oil plantations?

Darkest Auer posted:

Also planting lovely monoculture forests is really bad

this

edit cambodia/laos/vietnam is really interesting, as is eastern khazakhstan and northern mongolia

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

i say swears online posted:

what is "and agriculture"? palm oil plantations?

this

edit cambodia/laos/vietnam is really interesting, as is eastern khazakhstan and northern mongolia

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Dante80 posted:

This is the first time I heard that human activity can actually make the world greener..NASA, you trippin..

Killing 80-90% of the Native Americans led to a notable decrease of the amount of co2 in the atmosphere due to reforestation.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Climate genius: Exterminate all the brutes.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Trammel posted:

The CIA has gone full nuclear, pushing this "concentration camp" narrative by wheeling out a bunch of shills and useful idiots to post photos of "missing family" on Twitter, demanding proof of life videos under the hashtag #MeTooUyghur

yeah like CIA knows Uyghurs can't use twitter in China so they can just claim whoever is "dead" or "missing" and even if they are actually 100% fine they can't respond

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Can I ask for clarification on the concentration camp thing? Are they or are they not a thing?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Lightning Knight posted:

Can I ask for clarification on the concentration camp thing? Are they or are they not a thing?

they are a "thing", just not a "thing" in the sense that bourgeois dominated western media portrays them to be

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
as the previous thread title said, "concentration camps are not inherently bad"

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Typo posted:

they are a "thing", just not a "thing" in the sense that bourgeois dominated western media portrays them to be

not to argue, but I haven't seen much besides totally accurate depictions of incarceration without trial or right of appeal and enforced chinese culture classes. and the usual physical abuse and beatings for protesting.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

gradenko_2000 posted:

as the previous thread title said, "concentration camps are not inherently bad"

:thunk:

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Kurnugia posted:

not to argue, but I haven't seen much besides totally accurate depictions of incarceration without trial or right of appeal and enforced chinese culture classes. and the usual physical abuse and beatings for protesting.

You only think those things are bad because you’ve been brainwashed by bourgeoise liberal ideology that values so-called “human rights” above the right of the proletariat to engage in class struggle against backwards elements.

ok gonna go throw up now

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fallen Hamprince posted:

You only think those things are bad because you’ve been brainwashed by bourgeoise liberal ideology that values so-called “human rights” above the right of the proletariat to engage in class struggle against backwards elements.

ok gonna go throw up now

you'll never be a Typo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
I actually do wonder how Typo does it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean yeah the weaponization of human rights violations by the West against governments they don't like is absolutely a problem and mainstream media's attempts at boosting the profile of the the Uighur so-called concentration camps to create some kind of plausible pretense for interventionism is not great

Kurnugia
Sep 2, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

bob dobbs is dead posted:

I actually do wonder how Typo does it

reactionary ideology helps a lot im sure

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I have been wondering if the Uighurs camps are different from Mao's anti rightist educational camps from the 60s.

I don't remember seeing any picture of the righist camp, at least we have some picture of the Uighurs camp. Btw its impossible for me to spell the word "Uighurs" correctly without looking up the word. Why can't English have more consistent spelling.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

in middle school a girl I had a crush on went to Kyrgyzstan on a mission trip to convert Uighurs. I've known how to spell it since then

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

i say swears online posted:

in middle school a girl I had a crush on went to Kyrgyzstan on a mission trip to convert Uighurs. I've known how to spell it since then

how did that go for her

spreading religious propaganda that is

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm pretty sure she was still hot when she came back, but it was a long time ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

tino posted:

I have been wondering if the Uighurs camps are different from Mao's anti rightist educational camps from the 60s.

I don't remember seeing any picture of the righist camp, at least we have some picture of the Uighurs camp. Btw its impossible for me to spell the word "Uighurs" correctly without looking up the word. Why can't English have more consistent spelling.

Uyghur is also an acceptable spelling fwiw