Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

“Several years” makes it sound like Native Americans lived to about 3 on average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

grittyreboot posted:

Would the brother suing the parents put the kid in danger being sent to juvie? Cause there's no way the parents are making him pay it off; they don't even know why the brother is so upset.

Nah, it sounds like the brother will recover through his insurance policy. The insurer will probably sue the parents after paying the brother.

Criminal liability does not arise unless the brother decides to press charges, or if the cops decide to make an arrest on their own initiative (unlikely).

I think when the parents get served and see an attorney about this and realize their best course of action is to settle, they’ll know that little Timmy did a bad thing, and it’ll cost him somehow, whether that means getting a job to work off the debt or not getting a car for his 16th birthday. Whatever the parents come up with, it will be a better lesson than anything the CJ system can do for this dumb kid.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Labes for days posted:

“Several years” makes it sound like Native Americans lived to about 3 on average.

Withoutv vaccines, sounds about right.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Cleretic posted:

It looks to be a book, so it would come back with editor's notes, but even that wouldn't come back with a pleading request.

Check out the editor's notes on Milo Y's Dangerous if you get the chance; that's how an editor actually does respond to this. You don't get 'can we please remove this', you get 'DELETE UGH'.

Spent 8 years in nonfiction publishing, can confirm.

Like, usually we try to come to a compromise if the author really really wants to include something. Luckily 9/10 authors aren't huge dicks, and are more than willing to accept feedback. The other 10% either get their way (if they're a big money-maker), or if it's something terrible, we get permission from the acquisitions editors to quietly edit it out. The only time I remember doing that was when we were publishing a new edition and found out that the author had slipped in a paragraph talking about how gay people are more likely to get diarrhea. Because, you know, butt sex.

Publishing is fun.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Well, that's...a new one.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

This thread is... something. Watch out. There's some pretty lovely language in it.
https://twitter.com/Norion64/status/1092171254147280896?s=19

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Besesoth posted:

Nobody begged for changes. Those are not proofs. The Twitter account is satire, as is the book itself.
:sigh: No poo poo sherlock. I was explaining that reasoning as proof that it's not real. Even if the content was far less crazy than "all male babies rape their mothers but somehow not the female babies", that's not how publishers work.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

What makes him think his neopets will want anything to do with him after he abandoned them and left them in a starving state for 12 years?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Has anyone figured out the brother's username?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

No you’re safe for now

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Were you aware?
Bayer distributed a drug called Factor VIII in the 1980's tainted with the HIV virus intentionally, infecting and killing thousands of people around the world......
Jonas Salk and the U.S. Government experimented with the flu vaccine and exposed mental patients and prisoners in Michigan to the pandemic virus in 1942......
The FDA approved a drug called Vioxx by Merck Pharmaceticuals in 1999 while knowing that it increased the risk of fatal heart attacks and strokes before it even hit the market.This drug was responsible for at least 55,000 deaths in America......
The U.S. Government was involved in the forced sterilization of immigrants, people of color, poor people,unmarried mothers, the disabled and the mentally ill that spanned 32 States in the first half of the 20th century...
Pfizer was behind the illegal clinical trial of the drug Trozan in Nigeria in the 1990's during a meningitis epidemic that left 11 children dead.The Nigerian Government did not authorize this trial and was without parental consent.
it was the U.S. Government that told African American males that they were being treated for "bad blood" after luring them in with free meals,free physicals and free burial insurance. Some of the men had syphilis,others were given the deadly venereal disease.The study was later discovered to be an experiment of syphilis left untreated... better known as the tuskegee experiment.
GlaxoSmithKline published a flawed study and misled doctors into prescribing the dangerous antidepressant Paxil to children and had the public thinking that it was safe.
The U.S Government in 1956-58 , was responsible for the U.S. Army experiment involving dropping hundreds of thousands of specially bred mosquitoes to see if they could be used as biological weapons,specifically, yellow fever.
CDC scientists colluded to cover up a relationship between the timing of the MMR vaccine and autism in African Americans that was first discovered in November of 2001. Rather than reporting the results to the public, all data regarding this relationship were destroyed at a secret meeting held some time in August/September of 2002. This fact has been affirmed via an affidavit given by Dr. Thompson to Rep. Bill Posey in September, 2014.
The first polio vaccine was developed by Dr. Jonas Salk. Human experiments using this vaccine were conducted purposely on orphans in government/church run institutions because they were vulnerable and didn’t require parental consent signatures, as they had no parents.
The vaccine was “declared safe” (as they always are), but tragically, that vaccine gave 40,000 orphans polio and permanently paralyzed hundreds of others. At least 10 children died as a result of vaccine-induced polio. All injuries and deaths were under-reported of course by the same authorities who orchestrated the atrocity. (This is known as The Cutter Incident.)
Dr Stanley Plotkin admitted under oath that over 78 fetuses at 3 months gestation were used in the production of the Rubella vaccine.
Not one of the aforementioned examples here are conspiracy theory, they are factual and verifiable.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I like it inverter when you use too many emoji.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I like how this supposedly real person redacted their Neopets username but left in their actual legal name.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Were you aware?
Bayer distributed a drug called Factor VIII in the 1980's tainted with the HIV virus intentionally, infecting and killing thousands of people around the world......
Jonas Salk and the U.S. Government experimented with the flu vaccine and exposed mental patients and prisoners in Michigan to the pandemic virus in 1942......
The FDA approved a drug called Vioxx by Merck Pharmaceticuals in 1999 while knowing that it increased the risk of fatal heart attacks and strokes before it even hit the market.This drug was responsible for at least 55,000 deaths in America......
The U.S. Government was involved in the forced sterilization of immigrants, people of color, poor people,unmarried mothers, the disabled and the mentally ill that spanned 32 States in the first half of the 20th century...
Pfizer was behind the illegal clinical trial of the drug Trozan in Nigeria in the 1990's during a meningitis epidemic that left 11 children dead.The Nigerian Government did not authorize this trial and was without parental consent.
it was the U.S. Government that told African American males that they were being treated for "bad blood" after luring them in with free meals,free physicals and free burial insurance. Some of the men had syphilis,others were given the deadly venereal disease.The study was later discovered to be an experiment of syphilis left untreated... better known as the tuskegee experiment.
GlaxoSmithKline published a flawed study and misled doctors into prescribing the dangerous antidepressant Paxil to children and had the public thinking that it was safe.
The U.S Government in 1956-58 , was responsible for the U.S. Army experiment involving dropping hundreds of thousands of specially bred mosquitoes to see if they could be used as biological weapons,specifically, yellow fever.
CDC scientists colluded to cover up a relationship between the timing of the MMR vaccine and autism in African Americans that was first discovered in November of 2001. Rather than reporting the results to the public, all data regarding this relationship were destroyed at a secret meeting held some time in August/September of 2002. This fact has been affirmed via an affidavit given by Dr. Thompson to Rep. Bill Posey in September, 2014.
The first polio vaccine was developed by Dr. Jonas Salk. Human experiments using this vaccine were conducted purposely on orphans in government/church run institutions because they were vulnerable and didn’t require parental consent signatures, as they had no parents.
The vaccine was “declared safe” (as they always are), but tragically, that vaccine gave 40,000 orphans polio and permanently paralyzed hundreds of others. At least 10 children died as a result of vaccine-induced polio. All injuries and deaths were under-reported of course by the same authorities who orchestrated the atrocity. (This is known as The Cutter Incident.)
Dr Stanley Plotkin admitted under oath that over 78 fetuses at 3 months gestation were used in the production of the Rubella vaccine.
Not one of the aforementioned examples here are conspiracy theory, they are factual and verifiable.

It’s so scummy when these people mix in real facts/events to make the crazy conspiracy bullshit more believable. Gullible boomers will look up something like Vioxx, find out its real, and then blindly believe everything else.

RatHat has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Feb 10, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Labes for days posted:

For several years, the moon has fascinated many. But will man ever walk on her fertile surface?

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Data Graham posted:

For several years, the moon has fascinated many. But will man ever walk on her fertile surface?

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1094249261229895680?s=19

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Walked down a narrow country"

... The Gambia?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Missed opportunity for 'Lunartics'.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
"Intoxicated after nearly three bottles of Stella Artois." Whoa, slow down there, Oliver Reed!

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

RatHat posted:

It’s so scummy when these people mix in real facts/events to make the crazy conspiracy bullshit more believable. Gullible boomers will look up something like Vioxx, find out its real, and then blindly believe everything else.

idk I think the blatant corruption of big pharma and the way the us medical system has rendered medicine ineffective is entirely to blame for the rise of medical conspiracies

american science education has always been garbage so people who don't go into STEM fields just know (correctly) that they're being ripped off and going to the doctor is more likely to end in bankruptcy than effective treatment, they just lack the education to understand WHY and HOW they're being ripped off so they just go all :tinfoil:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

TheMostFrench posted:

what do you think the etymology of 'lunatic' is

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

"luna-tic". Originally meant to describe those that were thought to go crazy depending on the moon cycle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

new friend from school posted:

Nah, it sounds like the brother will recover through his insurance policy. The insurer will probably sue the parents after paying the brother.

Criminal liability does not arise unless the brother decides to press charges, or if the cops decide to make an arrest on their own initiative (unlikely).

I think when the parents get served and see an attorney about this and realize their best course of action is to settle, they’ll know that little Timmy did a bad thing, and it’ll cost him somehow, whether that means getting a job to work off the debt or not getting a car for his 16th birthday. Whatever the parents come up with, it will be a better lesson than anything the CJ system can do for this dumb kid.

There’s an update.

quote:

So, I never honestly expected the post I made to get where it did. I also never expected the barrage of support and hate. I will say these past 48 hours have been a ride and that post has not helped in any way.

So, why am I back? Well, because I feel like I need to be. I'm not here to give some apology to a bunch of internet strangers for how I acted or seek validation. I'm here because I feel that for myself I need to admit my own wrongs and move on to a better place.

So, I want to talk about something first before I get into the update. Many people who responded talked about how me or my brother in a bad light, and with how I reacted in the comments it didn't help the situation. I was also hit pretty hard for how I was not taking my brother into consideration when talking about the issue. To give some context for this, me and my brother have never had a good relationship. We have never seen eye to eye and after our fathers death he cut contact with me for a good amount of time. We're just to different in some senses. He's a single nerdy guy who has no aspiration for family while i'm the exact opposite. In these past few years we've tried to fix this. Work as adults to bring what little family we have back together. During our time apart he began collecting old nerdy things, and I wont lie I never understood the appeal. It is his life though and he can do what he wants.

So, when my son stole and damaged his property I didn't see how it was valuable to him and discounted it. So when he asked for 2,000 to fix it I really didn't feel like it was worth it. Was this wrong of me? Maybe. I don't feel bad about defending my son, I only feel bad that I discounted my brother in the process.

Sorry about that. Like I said, I don't want sympathy. I only wrote that out to allow myself to be true about the situation. back to the update.

So, after all was said and done, my family had pretty much been thrown into chaos. I had no idea what I was going to do and after talking with my wife, we decided we would take many of your advice and have my son pay him back. We collected all the non-essentials he had and planned to sell them to raise funds. During this time I got back into contact with my brother and wanted to talk this out to make sure this did not end badly. I offered to pay in full.

(Also, some people in the comments said that the figure was worth less so I asked him. He had it professionally valued a few months ago when he bought it and it's was worth a total of 2,200$.)

My brother said he plans to not sue us. His renters insurance apparently is willing to pay him the value he has listed, but he would need to file a police report to get it. At first we agreed not to go that route and simply pay him the value of it or one for a replacement if he could get it cheaper. This was the plan until last night.

During the process of taking his things away, my wife found a conversation he had with a friend he has over the internet. It turns out my son stole the figure to sell. He had googled it while we were at my brothers house and found out how much it was worth and bragged to a friend that he was going to sell it at a pawn shop. He didn't realize that taking it out of the package would ruin it so he ripped it out to hid in the car better.

Suffice to say, I am not happy about this. I won't elaborate on this very much more but me and my wife have decided that what is best for all of us is that we let him face the consequences of this. My brother is going to file a police report and collect money from insurance. Some may say this is a bit harsh, but honestly I think this might be for the best in the end. The way my son actively stole from family to make a profit worries me and I believe the only option that I can live with myself making is this. I will stand by my son till the need, but he needs to learn now before he is an adult.

So, thank you all for the advice. The support and hate are what I needed as a true wake up call. Like I said, I don't need pity. I'm doing this so that I can be true to myself, and maybe become a better parent in the end.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

turd in my singlet posted:

idk I think the blatant corruption of big pharma and the way the us medical system has rendered medicine ineffective is entirely to blame for the rise of medical conspiracies

american science education has always been garbage so people who don't go into STEM fields just know (correctly) that they're being ripped off and going to the doctor is more likely to end in bankruptcy than effective treatment, they just lack the education to understand WHY and HOW they're being ripped off so they just go all :tinfoil:

Yeah, unlike you, who have found more words with which to go into :tinfoil: land. :shrug:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

"luna-tic". Originally meant to describe those that were thought to go crazy depending on the moon cycle.

actually its from the moon bugs that astronauts brought home

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

https://twitter.com/murdamamitianni/status/1092657975007817728?s=20

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

The Saddest Rhino posted:

breaking kayfabe to say this made me laugh irl

I appreciate the use of the word kayfabe as I don't feel it gets enough use outside old school wrestling chat, and I guess carnival talk

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ChrisStigall/status/1094299412363468802

:raise:

:jerkbag:

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1094383224128708608
Haha genocide go off king!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Yeah, unlike you, who have found more words with which to go into :tinfoil: land. :shrug:

Isn't that the case with American medical insurance, though? All the horror stories I've heard all go "I went to see my doctor for a toothache, now I have to sell my children's kidneys" and the like.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Liz Warren’s DNA testing and poo poo is so cringey and bad but hot drat, the GOP riding in to remind you “naw yeah you think SHE’s problematic??”

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

So he's the kind of guy who watches Blazing Saddles and misses the point entirely.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Liz Warren’s DNA testing and poo poo is so cringey and bad but hot drat, the GOP riding in to remind you “naw yeah you think SHE’s problematic??”

The opinions of conservatives towards Native Americans basically oscillates rapidly between "we didn't commit a genocide but I wish we had" and "hell yeah we committed a genocide but I wish we hadn't left anyone alive"

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Why is he signaling in binary?

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

vyelkin posted:

The opinions of conservatives towards Native Americans basically oscillates rapidly between "we didn't commit a genocide but I wish we had" and "hell yeah we committed a genocide but I wish we hadn't left anyone alive"

Let's be fair, another common opinion is "I have a deep respect for these simple, noble savages and their uncivilized culture (unlike the other non-whites who do nothing but bitch and moan)."

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Don’t forget “but also why do they get all these free benefits from muh taxes?”

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nottherealaborn posted:

Don’t forget “but also why do they get all these free benefits from muh taxes?”

I'd file that under "we didn't commit a genocide but I wish we had [because if we had then those benefits would be justified and/or there would be no one left alive to claim them, but we didn't so they aren't]"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
oh my god https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdqBnMGhZB0 (turn on your sound)