Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Assuming it's not a joke, he would have to accidentally pull the trigger at some point.

If it's not hooked up to power to begin with though, wouldn't make a difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Cojawfee posted:

Assuming it's not a joke, he would have to accidentally pull the trigger at some point.

The power switch is on the upper side of the right hand grip, not a squeeze trigger.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
https://twitter.com/AviationSafety/status/1094278358391799808

Oooohhh this looks expensive.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

it will...buff...ou......oh

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Flight delayed 2 hr: Plane derailment

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

wouldn't it be less expensive if they had hit the hangar walls instead of the other aircraft

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

solarNativity posted:

wouldn't it be less expensive if they had hit the hangar walls instead of the other aircraft

Not necessarily. Hangar walls tend to be made out of much stronger stuff bolted to the ground. The collision is very inelastic and very bad for the plane. Coincidentally, that's what I've been dealing with this week.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

I didn't realize waffles were a structural component for aircraft

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Leviathan Song posted:

Not necessarily. Hangar walls tend to be made out of much stronger stuff bolted to the ground. The collision is very inelastic and very bad for the plane. Coincidentally, that's what I've been dealing with this week.

I think they mean it'd be just one badly damaged plane instead of two.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Buff Skeleton posted:

Must be the same manufacturer of wafflecopters

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Buff Skeleton posted:

You never heard about the early days of the German Luftwaffle?

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Kazy posted:

I think they mean it'd be just one badly damaged plane instead of two.
2 badly damaged planes is probably better than 1 catastrophically damaged plane.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

solarNativity posted:

Leviathan Song posted:

2 badly damaged planes is probably better than 1 catastrophically damaged plane.

Yep but in that situation the crew may also have been going from one "oh poo poo" situation to another, rather than consciously choosing the lesser disaster.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've never heard about this but with Bhopal why wouldn't it surprise you that the most toxic waste product of agent orange was bidded off as 'waste oil' and used to treat unpaved roads in the USA - causing severe illness and many deaths.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6kshs2ZQcQ
"The EPA recommended that Times Beach be abandoned. Due to the constant risk of flooding and the possible spread of contamination, it was further recommended that the entire town and it's soil be incinerated." :supaburn:

As far as my personal helljob, I'm looking for an out. Until then, well... it's bad! The PM supervisor says he has never seen this company under worst management. The new and very handsome, well-dressed Peruvian company directors (two!.. because nepotism) have decreed that we stop removing units from service because it's impacting operations. This played out in a pretty funny way: everything that leaks just gets worse. It needs to be fixed. We need to remove it from service and fix it. So we stopped removing units for small leaks and those leaks became worse (also it's been raining a lot, conveniently.) So operations got to the point that they decided the unit was unusable because it's leaking jet fuel all over the place so much that even they won't use it (and operations does not give a gently caress about safety or anything other than, well, operations.) So those units became $800k shuttles for running fuel sheets and transporting fuelers. And that's just how it's been - fueling units used as shuttles - because as much as operations complains they've been running fat with nearly twice what they need.

The fine for a fuel spill is $13,000. There's a cute fire marshal girl I've been winking at the past 3 days (that's 3 days with incidents requiring a response from airfield safety mind you, hahahaha.) But how exactly does one say "fine me harder baby" :v:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ToxicFrog posted:

Just finished the chapter in Marine Salvage about Ernest Cox, the guy who set out to salvage the entire German fleet from Scapa Flow (using compressed air and a repurposed drydock) to sell as scrap metal. Some highlights:

tactlessbastard posted:

I'm only a few chapters in but it's an awesome read. Recommend strongly!
:getin:
Read up on the guy who came up with the idea for the book, Willard Bascom.

quote:

...Bascom worked to obtain waivers from the federal Clean Water Act for coastal cities. That act required "secondary" or advanced chemical treatment of sewage before it could be released into the ocean.

Unlike many scientists, Bascom maintained that the two bays' water quality actually improved markedly from the mid-'70s to the 1980s and that neither DDT nor PCB levels there were toxic. The bays were technically contaminated, he said, but not dangerously polluted. Furthermore, Bascom took the controversial view that human food waste actually fed growing populations of fish.

"In Los Angeles, one-third of the sewage solid waste went through garbage disposals, food that we might have eaten," he once said. "But whether the food went through us or around us, it makes no difference to sea animals."

The flywheel talk reminded me that flywheel batteries exists, and I found a video of a NASA man dangerously excited about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz_7UF4KQpk

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sanctum posted:

The fine for a fuel spill is $13,000. There's a cute fire marshal girl I've been winking at the past 3 days (that's 3 days with incidents requiring a response from airfield safety mind you, hahahaha.) But how exactly does one say "fine me harder baby" :v:

40 oz bottle of gas you begin pouring out whenever she starts leaving?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

GotLag posted:

The power switch is on the upper side of the right hand grip, not a squeeze trigger.

No, the trigger is on the back handle .

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sanctum posted:

Just tell her "Girl, I may have been spillin' some gas, but that's only cause I was thinkin' bout fillin' your rear end."

Then look around conspiratorially, put your hand next to your mouth and whisper "with my penis", just so everyone is clear on the innuendo. Or the inherendo, in this case, HAW HAW!

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

No, the trigger is on the back handle .

This style of demo hammer has that red sliding switch that turns it on and it just stays on. There is no trigger at all.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

glynnenstein posted:

This style of demo hammer has that red sliding switch that turns it on and it just stays on. There is no trigger at all.

Huh, I figured that was just a clone of their hammer drill.

I know that Hilti's demo hammer has the trigger on the handle, and they're the ones to copy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SelenicMartian posted:

:getin:
Read up on the guy who came up with the idea for the book, Willard Bascom.

The flywheel talk reminded me that flywheel batteries exists, and I found a video of a NASA man dangerously excited about them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz_7UF4KQpk

Yup! For a while, hybrid systems for race cars used them. They're all Li-Ion now these days, but the transition was flywheel -> supercaps -> batteries.

e: For bit more on-topic bit, if the electrical system of a F1 car goes haywire, the driver has to get out, not touch the ground, and jump off the car so he doesn't accidentally put himself between the now electrical hot car (as it is carbon fiber and does conduct) and the ground. Happened in Mexico a couple seasons ago to Nico Hulkenberg.

e2: then the marshals have to use an insulated pole to hit the electric system shutoff switch :v:

iospace fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 10, 2019

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My dad is obsessed with the concept of powering cars with super fast flywheels. It will be super great when a car crashes and that flywheel binds up and wants to get rid of its energy.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
A car driven by superflywheels can only have white leather interiors and the bouncy pneumatics i see in braggadocios rap videos

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

iospace posted:

For bit more on-topic bit, if the electrical system of a F1 car goes haywire, the driver has to get out, not touch the ground, and jump off the car so he doesn't accidentally put himself between the now electrical hot car (as it is carbon fiber and does conduct) and the ground. Happened in Mexico a couple seasons ago to Nico Hulkenberg.

Being that the car's electrical system does not have any potential relative to the Earth, it seems like the bigger hazard is trying to move around and jump out without contacting two parts of the vehicle that are now unintentionally at a different potential because of the failure.

If the car was on fire, of course you gotta get the hell out but if it was just throwing some kind of electrical failure warning I'd think you should wait for the safety crew to throw the external switch before moving.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

angryrobots posted:

Being that the car's electrical system does not have any potential relative to the Earth, it seems like the bigger hazard is trying to move around and jump out without contacting two parts of the vehicle that are now unintentionally at a different potential because of the failure.

If the car was on fire, of course you gotta get the hell out but if it was just throwing some kind of electrical failure warning I'd think you should wait for the safety crew to throw the external switch before moving.

They just tell the driver to jump clear of the car. The track workers have rubber gloves to protect themselves.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is that from Death Stranding?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

thats a videogame

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

Must be the same manufacturer of roflcopters

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

iospace posted:

Yup! For a while, hybrid systems for race cars used them. They're all Li-Ion now these days, but the transition was flywheel -> supercaps -> batteries.

e: For bit more on-topic bit, if the electrical system of a F1 car goes haywire, the driver has to get out, not touch the ground, and jump off the car so he doesn't accidentally put himself between the now electrical hot car (as it is carbon fiber and does conduct) and the ground. Happened in Mexico a couple seasons ago to Nico Hulkenberg.

e2: then the marshals have to use an insulated pole to hit the electric system shutoff switch :v:

That’s not strictly accurate. For a time, Audi ran flywheels but at the same time Toyota was using supercaps and Porsche (and others, but not in WEC) were using lithium-ion.

Lithium-ion won the battle of ideas and Audi and Toyota both dropped their systems in favor of batteries. Then Audi withdrew and then so did Porsche.

F1 cars never used anything other than Li-ion, only one other race car ever used a flywheel (a 911 GT3 one year at the N24). There was an idea to use it in a US car to race at Le Mans in the early 2000s that’s rumored to have killed someone when the flywheel let go on a dyno but afaik that was never confirmed.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

An oldie but goodie: not many things more OSHA than Chernobyl

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pacra posted:

An oldie but goodie: not many things more OSHA than Chernobyl

no way, you see the skull?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://twitter.com/freep/status/1094748359871655936

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uhh, isn't "Detroit Free Press" one of those Russian botnet networks?

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Queen Combat posted:

Uhh, isn't "Detroit Free Press" one of those Russian botnet networks?

You’re thinking of the other “freep,” Free Republic. Detroit Free Press used to be a great paper, but now is the same crap as everything owned by Gannet.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, thanks. Sorry for the derail.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If this ever happens to me I hope someone would have the good sense to shoot me instead of dragging my melting meatsack to a hospital.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

soy posted:

If this ever happens to me I hope someone would have the good sense to shoot me instead of dragging my melting meatsack to a hospital.

If it was you how would they know the difference between your regular melting meatsack form and acid induced one?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found the video of the incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvSkuxrNCMQ

If he lives he is going to be a meat popsicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ugh.. not only was it sulphuric acid, but it was sulphuric acid at 160+ degrees.