Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I really liked the gameplay of MGSV. My main criticism would be that the non-game play elements did not feel like a MGS game. It was too AAA and not enough B-Movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The problem with MGSV wasn't the environment traversal, it was the god drat helicopters.

Video games have made me never want to see a helicopter again. I boo whenever a game brings out the ol' lovely copter.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Trains are the opposite

They make almost any game more awesome

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yall best not be dissin Spirit Tracks..

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Pigbuster posted:

The problem with MGSV wasn't the environment traversal, it was the god drat helicopters.

Video games have made me never want to see a helicopter again. I boo whenever a game brings out the ol' lovely copter.

Uh, changing the music that played when my chopper came in to the Airwolf theme was the best part of that game actually

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

this screenshot from when i tried playing oot rando still makes me lol

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Pigbuster posted:

How dare you disrespect the memory of Mike.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Hello my guys and gals, should I spend my night playing FF14 or RE2?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Roth posted:

RE2 not close

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll be surprised if the actual gameplay of death stranding actually does anything new or interesting like he keeps saying

Ropes and sticks and whatever

But if it does have a cool actual gameplay hook I'll sit through the literal five thousand hours of cutscenes

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Roth posted:

ff14, gotta catch up on Eureka before hydratos comes out

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pwnstar posted:

How dare you disrespect the memory of Mike.

Mike is indeed good but we should’ve let copters die with him rather than filling games with terrible helicopters that stain his memory.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Roth posted:

ff14

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I been having a blast with RE2, but boy when this game fucks you up it FUCKS you up. Was doing Leon A, got very far until.. I wanna say maybe near the end of it?
After dealing with the vine zombies, I head down the ladder, see like five dead zombies, go down the hall, two lickers spawn. Try to go past them only for the five zombies to aggro, one of them grabs me. And then the clusterfuck of chain happen, I get grabbed by the 1st licker, counter it with a flash nade, then only to be grabbed by a zombie, which I counter with a grenade, then afterwards the second licker jumps and slashes me into danger status (I was in caution) and the other loving zombie just grabs me and I have nothing to counter so I watch Leon slooooooowly die because the game was pretty much pointing it's finger and laughing at me as they take their time to trigger the death animation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
here are enemy lod models from metal arms

here's one with a comparison

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not sure if this was posted previously, but very good Monster Factory with a bajillion customisation options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYOprHtbxgw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

xenoblade torna seems to force grinding which i dont care for. i've done pretty much all the side quests and gotten the community to level 3 and i'm still not leveled up to fight these mechs in the capital city (they're lvl 34 and my party is 27-28)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

xenoblade torna seems to force grinding which i dont care for. i've done pretty much all the side quests and gotten the community to level 3 and i'm still not leveled up to fight these mechs in the capital city (they're lvl 34 and my party is 27-28)

The mechs in the capital have some stupid gently caress off attack that will oneshot you even if youre at their level. Or hell way over since it still kills you on NG+. I think it triggers only if you out enough orbs on them to aggro or try to burst them. Maybe its been patched since launch but I beat it by just fighting them a few times until they didnt do it, saving, doing the next one. Those three are the only ones in the game.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Barudak posted:

The mechs in the capital have some stupid gently caress off attack that will oneshot you even if youre at their level. Or hell way over since it still kills you on NG+. I think it triggers only if you out enough orbs on them to aggro or try to burst them. Maybe its been patched since launch but I beat it by just fighting them a few times until they didnt do it, saving, doing the next one. Those three are the only ones in the game.

Yeah it got me too. It's some bullshit effect that correlates to orbs being on enemies, which fucks with the player because they don't explain it and the first game conditions the player to orb up and wait for the enemy to hit half health or so before bursting. I think it's an effect that was introduced in the challenge modes to add additional difficulty and they didn't think about how using it in an expansion would change things.

IIRC the solution is that if an enemy's name starts glowing blue it's time to activate a chain attack.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I beat RE2 for the 9th time today and immediately started a 10th playthrough. I'm hopelessly in love,

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
After playing some more Apex Legends I'm starting to like it which is very surprising to me. I still suck, but chatting with people and actually getting a few kills in fights where I wasn't instagibbed by a sniper or grenade I didn't see felt pretty good. Gonna see if I can get the wife to play with me tomorrow.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Training posted:

I beat RE2 for the 9th time today and immediately started a 10th playthrough. I'm hopelessly in love,

What are you getting it for Valentine’s Day

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

but i have not talked to a single person i've played with and been able to ping and coordinate effectively with its smart pings and a little creativity, and had a loving blast doing so, so extremely yes

in conclusion, apex legends is a land of contrasts,

sometimes in Blackout I'll try joining a quad game but it always matches me with three people playing in a group who kill me immediately rip

In Training posted:

I got the platinum in I think 6 or 7 playthroughs so I think I'm done for now until they add the new stuff

I guess I could do the weekly challenges on RE.net but idk

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Spyro 1, decent game outside of the flying bits and annoying last boss.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Finished Spyro 1, decent game outside of the flying bits and annoying last boss.

It's pretty crazy how Spyro 2 is night and day with such a short turn around. It makes Spyro 1 feel like somebody's first prototype that got cleaned up.

I think I like 3 the most, it feels cheap in some areas (really miss the intro/outro cutscenes) but it's such a breezy game with a good variety of content.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The first Spyro was a tech demo in some ways. Nobody thought the PS1 could handle LOD culling and stuff like that, and they were able to make it work and have big, open levels on a console that generally couldn't pull that off so smoothly. But obviously, once you have the tech, you can spend more time on other stuff in the sequels!

Spyro 2 is rad as hell imo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I already like Spyro 2 more because water doesn't hurt me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

I already like Spyro 2 more because water doesn't hurt me

a cool thing is Spyro keeps all the abilities you learned in 1, and they carry over all the new stuff from 2 into 3 as well. The problem of doing this is they had to come up with a bunch of new gimmicks because they were running out of stuff for Spyro to actually do

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Spyro 1 edges it for me because it's weird as gently caress compared to the other two, and some of the later levels have a cool atmosphere.

I love the other two but I'm not a huge fan of the trend of adding a new batch of animal friends every time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Does Spyro have any ‘tude? Never played the games but he’s got those 90s eyes

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

He does indeed have some 90s tude. Its not overwhelming but he gets sassy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Kind of. It's most apparent in the first game but toned down in the sequels. On a scale of dudes-with-attitude Spyro is like Sparkster: mad on the box art, totally cute in game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I hate the flying levels even more in Spyro 2 though

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

occasionally he will say he's going to "kick someone's butt" or something similarly 90s, but usually he doesn't and there really isn't a lot of dialog anyway. on the other hand there's skateboard minigames in the sequels and you don't get more 90s than that

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
spyro 1 was a very nice and charming platformer and spyro 2 was an overstuffed mess that showcased some of the worst indulgences from that era of platformers (endless minigames, too many mascots, etc)

the third game reigned it in pretty well, skateboards aside, but hoo boy i was not expecting the second one to be as bad as it was

serves me right for getting the full collection despite only playing the first game as a kid

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Infinitum posted:

Not sure if this was posted previously, but very good Monster Factory with a bajillion customisation options

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYOprHtbxgw

Wait, the McElroys are still doing Monster Factory? I thought they left the site.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Resident Evil 2 Remake is my 11th completed game of 2019. I am not entirely sure what I want to play and finish next.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wait, the McElroys are still doing Monster Factory? I thought they left the site.

They did but apparently still come back to do a freelance episode occasionally.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm playing Elex now and I still can't go anywhere without getting murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Steam's dying, Cloud.