Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

MagicCube posted:

Because it was a joke about Heisenberg and the Uncertainty principle.

I'd say the joke went over his head, but it's hard to tell. I can only tell where it is or how fast it's going.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Feb 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

MagicCube posted:

Because it was a joke about Heisenberg and the Uncertainty principle.

What a stupid joke.

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Apparently Jason Kenny lives in a basement that exists not unlike pizzagate.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/jason-kenney-residence-1.4987150

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jason Kenny is the conservative guy everyone assumes is a closeted gay, right?

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Baird too, iirc.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Entropic posted:

Jason Kenny is the conservative guy everyone assumes is a closeted gay, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDLovuMtHUo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Dark One posted:

Baird too, iirc.

Baird is only hiding in the closet because if he didn't then his Saudi bosses would execute him.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zapplez posted:

No one is saying teachers shouldn’t be able to strike, but it is ridiculous to expect poor families to not be pissed off and also put further into debt by any significant teacher strike.

It’s not the same as a service people don’t see going on strike, for most poor families day school is equivalent to childcare with a value of 500 a week depending on how many kids you have. Or much higher in the gta

Maybe the government should be proving free daycare if it such a crucial service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe the government should be proving free daycare if it such a crucial service.

You're not wrong in general, but it would be a poor solution to the problem created by the government-employed workers currently providing a form of childcare going on strike.

I mean, what are you going to do, create an entire parallel childcare system with enough excess capacity to handle all the children usually in school in the event of a teachers' strike, then force them into a separate union that's legally prohibited from striking in solidarity with the extremely similar union that represents teachers?

Let's face it: teachers' strikes are inevitably hugely disruptive, there's no way around that, and that's exactly the point of them. It should be putting pressure on the government to negotiate. Teachers are going without wages when they are on strike, so that's the motivation they have to negotiate in good faith, and the government should take the blame if the pay and conditions are so bad that teachers are motivated to strike in the first place, which is the motivation they should have to negotiate in good faith as well. What we should be asking ourselves is why the teachers take a disproportionate share of the blame for the disruption in the event of a strike, when in fact it is within the government's capability to address the grievances and end the strike that way.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

Economic uncertainty drives some Calgarians to eye franchise ownership at expo

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/franchise-expo-calgary-1.5013190

what the gently caress kind of headline is this? :psyduck:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Oxyclean posted:

Frig off Randy!

(There's another Ford?!)

https://torontolife.com/city/toronto-politics/rob-ford-family-tree/

There's LOTS of Fords.

quote:

6 | Randy Ford | Age: 52
Known for his Jon Voight in Midnight Cowboy aesthetic—he rarely removes his signature Stetson—and bad-boy track record: by age 33, he’d been arrested 17 times. Today, he’s a director at Deco Labels.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Imagine having to put yourself through the act of physical love with a Ford. It's repugnant to even consider, frankly.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Doug Ford Sr. looks like Don Cherry.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
jfc Dougie has 4 daughters all with names starting with K?

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Entropic posted:

jfc Dougie has 4 daughters all with names starting with K?

Never Forget

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Why do they all look like the same amorphous blob.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/CBCEdmonton/status/1094439221237039109
Lmao

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Why do they all look like the same amorphous blob.

Amoebas reproduce by cloning.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 9, 2022

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Furnaceface posted:

They 100% should be. I wish more parents were riled up about it and demand it from their politicians. Its an absolutely vital service.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

zapplez posted:

No one is saying teachers shouldn’t be able to strike, but it is ridiculous to expect poor families to not be pissed off and also put further into debt by any significant teacher strike.

It’s not the same as a service people don’t see going on strike, for most poor families day school is equivalent to childcare with a value of 500 a week depending on how many kids you have. Or much higher in the gta

zapplez posted:

They 100% should be. I wish more parents were riled up about it and demand it from their politicians. Its an absolutely vital service.

So what's your suggestion for what providers of vital services should do? Teachers offered daycare on the picket lines but what if daycare workers wanted to go on strike*? Beyond considering the optics and who the strike might impact, I don't really see a third option besides yes or no.

* Yes yes assume that they're unionized in the first place.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

eXXon posted:

So what's your suggestion for what providers of vital services should do? Teachers offered daycare on the picket lines but what if daycare workers wanted to go on strike*? Beyond considering the optics and who the strike might impact, I don't really see a third option besides yes or no.

* Yes yes assume that they're unionized in the first place.

Have them be essential services and give them proper pay and benefits?

I wouldn’t want firefighters to strike either. Childcare (or education which doubles as childcare) is absolutely vital in my mind.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

zapplez posted:

and give them proper pay and benefits?

And why exactly would this happen if they're not able to strike? You know they wouldn't be striking in the first place if they weren't treated like garbage by the government right?

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What is the marginal difference in quality of education between paying a teacher 100k 2018 CAD and 110k 2018 CAD?

It's still ballpark 90th percentile individual income for nine months of work before you even include the government pension contribution.

(Personally, I'd find the most frustrating thing being that the perennial teacher of the year gets paid the same as the people completely mailing it in, but there's unions for you.)

Class composition and size...now there's something that makes a difference to parents, students, and teachers.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 10, 2019

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

James Baud posted:

(Personally, I'd find the most frustrating thing being that the perennial teacher of the year gets paid the same as the people completely mailing it in, but there's unions for you.)

How do you tell who's a great teacher who deserves extra pay and who is just "completely mailing it in?"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ChairMaster posted:

And why exactly would this happen if they're not able to strike? You know they wouldn't be striking in the first place if they weren't treated like garbage by the government right?

Essential services are already a thing, and what happens is contract disputes go to an arbitrator, who, based on the fact that the union can't strike, tends to heavily favour their position over the employer's

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
And why would they be declared an essential service in the first place, if that meant that they would have to be treated well? Maybe if they took some kind of job action, I dunno...

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Essential services are already a thing, and what happens is contract disputes go to an arbitrator, who, based on the fact that the union can't strike, tends to heavily favour their position over the employer's

And of course functionally these days basically all public servants are essential services, but the arbitrator is the provincial government passing back-to-work legislation.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Seriously, I don't understand how anyone can be bitching about teachers or Canada Post going on strike when you know perfectly well that they are going to be ignored and legislated back to work.

I mean I can understand it from the pt6a "FYGM" types, but not from like real people with empathy or whatever.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

vyelkin posted:

And of course functionally these days basically all public servants are essential services, but the arbitrator is the provincial government passing back-to-work legislation.

It appears to be treated that way, but there's a reason the essential service designation is used sparingly*, it gives the union quite a bit of power in negotiations even though a strike is off the table.

*Except when it's not, for a non-emergency service example see ATU 113 and the TTC, Rob Ford in his infinite wisdom declared them an essential service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Except that I've been supporting the teachers' right to strike, and I supported Canada Post employees when they went on strike, so please keep up.

Even from a completely free-market perspective, interference in the right to collective bargaining or disrupting the ability of employees to strike is clearly unacceptable as it constitutes unreasonable government influence over the economy. There is no coherent theory under which such behaviour on the government's part would be acceptable except the Ford/Kenney types' broke-brained fusion of right-wing populism and plutocracy.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Saying you support someone when you continue to vote for the people that legislate them back to work isn't actually supporting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ChairMaster posted:

Seriously, I don't understand how anyone can be bitching about teachers or Canada Post going on strike when you know perfectly well that they are going to be ignored and legislated back to work.

I mean I can understand it from the pt6a "FYGM" types, but not from like real people with empathy or whatever.

You can’t understand why poor families might get upset with teachers striking?

Seriously? You can’t figure that out?

Do you have no friends with kids?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

I guess you can add people who are too stupid to understand that the government could just treat teachers fairly in the first place and they wouldn't have to constantly go on strike to that as well.

Being too stupid to understand almost anything at all is kinda your whole thing though.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ChairMaster posted:

I guess you can add people who are too stupid to understand that the government could just treat teachers fairly in the first place and they wouldn't have to constantly go on strike to that as well.

Being too stupid to understand almost anything at all is kinda your whole thing though.

:confuoot:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

James Baud posted:

What is the marginal difference in quality of education between paying a teacher 100k 2018 CAD and 110k 2018 CAD?

You picking literally the absolute maximum possible number off the salary grid for what teachers in Ontario can make as part of your argument is just plain stupid. You realize that most teachers make significantly less than that, right? And teachers in Toronto are starting out at <50k?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

ChairMaster posted:

Saying you support someone when you continue to vote for the people that legislate them back to work isn't actually supporting them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u52Oz-54VYw

I don’t think there is a single regular poster left in this thread that votes this way but good job being really angry at an issue that you have no vested interest in I guess

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I also love is the "9 months of work!" bullshit as if there are a wealth of decent jobs that put up with you only showing up for a few months in the summer and a few weeks in the winter and spring. gently caress, even most minimum-wage jobs won't put up with that.

At most, you can say it's a 12-month job with a large amount of time off.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

PT6A posted:

I also love is the "9 months of work!" bullshit as if there are a wealth of decent jobs that put up with you only showing up for a few months in the summer and a few weeks in the winter and spring. gently caress, even most minimum-wage jobs won't put up with that.

At most, you can say it's a 12-month job with a large amount of time off.

The summer break complaint is also just a distraction. It's not like everybody would suddenly be totally cool with and supportive of teachers if year-round schooling existed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TrueChaos posted:

You picking literally the absolute maximum possible number off the salary grid for what teachers in Ontario can make as part of your argument is just plain stupid. You realize that most teachers make significantly less than that, right? And teachers in Toronto are starting out at <50k?

Most teachers in Ontario, in fact, do not make significantly less than that. Alberta's right there in the same boat. Other provinces are less, sure, but this discussion is in an Ontario context.

"In Ontario, three-quarters of teachers fall
into the highest pay category, while the majority
of Manitoba and BC teachers fall into the
second-highest pay category. About one-half of
Saskatchewan teachers fall into the third-highest
pay category, which does not appear in Table 1.
(A similar third-highest pay category exists in
Alberta.3)"

Page 4, here.